3 comments

Fantasy Adventure Drama

A pool of blood formed as it spilled from the fresh wound on the side of Mika’s head. The sun was beginning to set on the Western horizon, off the coast of Anesh, sinking rapidly into the ocean. “I tried,” he thought. “I hope I’m remembered at least for that much.” The pain in his head was searing. He commanded his body to get up, to move, but it wouldn’t respond. His strength to continue his quest was reaching its end and he allowed himself to relax. As he lay helpless among the large stones outside the caves facing the Western shore, consciousness ebbed away like the retreating shoreline after a wave.

#

Mika couldn’t open his eyes. But he could feel a throbbing pain like his head was being smashed against that rock again, over and over. He grimaced and let out a groan. He could hear the sound of a crackling fire and the smell of cooking fish. He forced his eyes to obey and slowly opened them to see the fire, the fish cooking, and something else. There was someone on the opposite side of the fire sitting with legs tucked under them in what seemed like a very uncomfortable position. “Ya took a pretty good knockin’ to yur noggin’ there mister. I don’t think it’d be good fur ya to be movin’ too quick jus yet.” Mika could tell it was a woman’s voice, but he still couldn’t make out features clearly. He glanced around to take in the surroundings. “Where are we?” “Well now what do ya think mister? I foun’ ya right outside da caves here an’ ya kin see cave walls all aroun’ us, so take a guess. A cave maybe?” “Wow. Whoever this was she wasn’t short on sarcasm, and why does she talk like that?” Mika thought.

#

“Okay. It was a dumb question. How long?” “A moon an’ a couple o’ suns. I wasn’t sure if ya's was ever gonna wake up. Ya loss lots o’ blood. ya'd jus moan and groan ever now and again.” Mika sat up slowly, reached up to feel the wound and found it wrapped tightly with a bandage. “Thank you for helping me, I’m definitely in your debt,” he said. “Yur welcome friend.” “My name’s Mika,” he said. “I’m Sasha. What ya doin’ out here alone wit not more’n the clothes on yur back? Ya ain't even got nothing to fit with that I cud see sep’n dat big long stick ya's was a carryin’.” “I did have a lot of supplies when I started my journey. Packed with jerked beef, bread, water skins and supplies for fishing, but I wasn’t any good at it. Never did catch a thing when I tried. One day while I was crossing a river, the footbridge planks gave way. Dumped me and all my gear into the river. I was lucky to survive, but all my supplies were gone. Probably washed out to sea by now.” Mika said. “But why ya even here? Ya look like a fish outta water.” “I’m looking for something. It’s been lost for centuries, but the records I’ve found indicate it may be in this area. I’ve searched for it my whole life and I’m hoping it will help to restore magic to the lands.” “I heard o’ dat magic stuff. Pa used to talk ‘bout it. Said he wished it was still aroun’. Said hunerts o’ years ago they didn’ have to have candles an’ torches an’ the like. Pa’d say magic was ever where and ever one knew a little of it. Makin’ light was what lil’ magic most folks knew,” She said. “You’re Pa was right. It was a different time. Magic was literally the light of the world. It is said the gods inhabited that light and magic was a gift to mankind. The gods interacted with mankind. Gave us direction. Nowadays the world seems to have lost hope. The gods haven’t interacted with us for centuries. The decline into this current age of ‘shadows’, as they say, seems to have started when magic began to disappear. It is foretold of an age of ‘darkness’ if we don’t find our way back. Find the light and restore it. We must restore magic.” “An’ ya think ya gonna be da one to do dat? Pshh. I gotta see dat. For now, ya best get a lil’ sumpin’ to eat an’ drink before ya's pass out again.”

#

Mika had his fill of fish and some sweet, thick yellow liquid that seemed to make him a little bit woozy and relaxed. He stared into the campfire, his mind on the quest. “Don’t move,” Sasha said, in a hushed tone, her lips barely moving. Mika froze. “What?” he whispered, Sasha didn’t answer. He could see the muscles in her thighs tense, her feet flexing and toes curling under her, ready to spring, her eyes hard and fixed on something behind him. Something stirred within him. He didn’t understand the sudden awareness that came over him or where it came from. He wasn’t afraid, but he had a flash, a thought in his mind to move, and to do it fast. An image of himself lurching forward, towards the fire flashed in his mind, and before he realized it, he was doing just that. He had to twist to keep from landing in the flames and then rolled to his right. He heard a whoosh of air behind him and he caught a glimpse of Sasha in midair, leaping over the campfire, a thud of bodies colliding and a guttural growl that wasn’t human. Mika landed on his side, staring at a glint of reflected light on the dirt floor. The fire reflecting on something. Polished steel. “Sword!” Sasha screamed as she rolled across the cave floor, her legs locked around the torso of the biggest wildcat Mika had ever seen, her arms wrapped tightly around its neck struggling to keep its mouth and teeth over her shoulder and unable to bite into flesh. Mika grabbed what was visible of the glittering steel, hoping that was the sword she asked for, rolled and flung it in her direction. Sasha kicked the big cat with both feet to break free and push off. Its front paws reached for her, claws extended, and ripped into the flesh of her shoulders down her arms. Sasha screamed and let out her own determined growl. She rolled to where the sword landed, picking it up and getting to her feet just as the animal launched at her again. She ducked and rolled to the side, stood and swung the long sword in a mighty blow to the back of the big cat’s neck. The sword sliced more easily through the flesh than Mika thought possible. It’s head rolled free, landing near Mika’s feet and its body crumpled. Sasha let out a small sigh. “Musta smelled da fish,” she said, “but ya looked like da best meal. A shame I had to kill it. It was jus’ looking to survive liken da rest of us.” “You’re bleeding pretty bad,” Mika said. “Jus gotta wrap it up good an’ tight fur now. I’ll gather some herbs fur a healin’ poultice when we git the sun. Too dangerous to be pokin’ aroun’ in the dark.” “Obviously,” Mika said. “Let’s get the bleeding stopped.”

#

Mika studied Sasha’s face while he wrapped her wounded arms in some rags she had. “She has to be in a lot of pain,” he thought, “but she doesn’t show it.” He wasn’t sure what to make of this young woman. Quite remarkable, confident, and from what he could tell, a pretty good fighter too. She moved faster than anyone he had ever seen. She had never hesitated or showed one moment of uncertainty facing down the deadly beast, bigger than she was, and bare handed at that. “It looks like I owe you my life, twice over now. Thank you again,” Mika said. “Nah, ya ain’t gonna be owin’ me nuttin’. Jus’ doin’ da right thing best I kin judge. Pa wouldn’t be happy if I did anythin’ less.” “I’m just glad your Pa taught you to fight. Or to ‘fit’, as you say.” Sasha just grinned. “Me too.”

#

“So jus’ what exactly is it ya lookin’ fur Mika? I know to restore magic, but ya was a lookin’ fur some thing weren’t ya’?” Sasha said. “Yes. A sacred place. It’s said the lady, the goddess of magic, Calista, has a holy place. A sanctuary. It’s written that there is a statue of her there, and an altar. It’s written that if you perform her evocation ritual there, she will hear and appear. There, I will make my case to her. To ask her to restore magic. I’ve read all the history and records. It has to be in this region of the coast.” Sasha looked at him and smiled. “Come wit’ me. There sumpin’ I need to show ya.”

#

Mika followed Sasha along the narrow pathways, deeper into the cave. Their torches reflecting off the walls, barely illuminating two steps ahead of them. “I started staying here in these caves at night cuz o’ da dangers outside. I followed this one passage jus’ to see where it’d go when I cudn’ sleep.” Suddenly the path opened into a large cavern. Mika couldn’t see how far back it went, but as they continued, there were pools of water to either side of the pathway. “Fresh water for drinkin’” Sasha said. Then he saw it. The statue. “It’s her!” he cried. “It’s here!” He grabbed Sasha and hugged her. “Thank you!” Mika said. “I figured this mus’ be what ya’s a lookin’ fur. I know’d this had to be a special place. When da torches run dry, ya kin see a faint glow aroun’ da statue. Sometimes, I’d comes here jus’ to think out loud. Don’t knows if anybodys was a listenin’ but it jus’ felt good here, ya know? I’d talk to Ma an’ Pa. Not that theys cud hear me or nuttin’ but I still felt like I should talk to ‘em. Sometimes I’d talk to da statue. It’d almost feel like it heard me.” Sasha said. “Maybe they did Sasha.” Mika said and prepared for the ritual.

#

Mika finished the last of what he could remember of the closing prayer of the evocation. Raised his hands and said, “Hear me, Calista”, and extinguished the small candle that he had kept dry in the one sealed jar he managed to save from his fall in the river. It was dark except for the remaining torch that Sasha held, well away from the altar. The statue began to glow a bright blue. Gently at first, then brighter and brighter, then suddenly darkness. Mika could hear footsteps ahead of him near the statue. A woman stepped into the torch light. A purple gown hung loosely across her bosom and draped down revealing only her bare feet. A golden circlet of olive leaves and a crescent moon adorned her head. Her waist length raven hair seemed iridescent and moved when she walked. Her skin was golden and radiated so that she glowed slightly. Mika had never seen anyone so beautiful. Sasha fell to her knees in awe. Mika’s body trembled so hard he could barely stand. “Fear not mortal,” the goddess said, her voice soft and lovely like gently rippling waters. Mika felt his strength return and he stopped trembling. “Ask what you came here to ask,” Calista said. “My Lady, we need you, the world needs your light and magic. We are lost without you. It’s not the magic, but the light it brings. Please restore the light. Return magic to mankind,” Mika pleaded. “Tell me why, mortal. Why should I? It appears that mankind has decided it has no need of the gods.” “Because my Lady, they are wrong. It is written that the gods created mankind in their own image. If that’s true, and I believe it is, we can’t exist apart from you. Life ceases to have meaning or purpose. You are the Masters and we learn how to be, how to exist, from you. We are a part of you. We are One.” Sasha slowly rose from her knees. Still unsteady, but listening intently, she inched closer. “You have spoken well mortal. Rightly you have said that we are One. Mankind began to lose sight of that and to forget. As they did, the ability to perform magic disappeared along with that knowledge. It is a necessary understanding to live in the light of magic. Without that, magic will not work,” Calista said and smiled. Mika couldn’t believe his eyes and what was happening. The world swam around him as his knees threatened to buckle. “Again, do not not fear,” Calista said. “Do you think it an accident that you are here? An accident that you were taken in as an orphan? Raised and taught reading, writing, and magical history by two school teachers? Do you think it an accident that you slipped and hit your head right outside this cave where my warrior maiden had taken up residence to guard my sanctuary?” Sasha started to ask a question and stopped when Calista turned to her and smiled. She turned back to Mika. “No. There are no accidents. You Mika, will be my Chosen vessel. You will take my message, the understanding and the truth that you have in your heart, and you will share it. Teach it, and I will teach you magic as well, that you may bring back the light into the world.” “But my Lady, I’m not worthy of this honor, and I’m already of middle age. How can I share this with the whole world? I have no means, no skills but as a teacher. I can’t survive out here on my own as I’ve clearly found, and I will die of old age before making it beyond even the borders of Anesh,” Mika said. “Have no fear, Chosen one. Would I choose you and not care for you as I’ve done these many years? I will be your provider. With extra long life I will bless you, well beyond that of other mortal men. Are you willing to do this?” “Yes my lady. I will.” Calista turned to Sasha. “Come here young one.” “Yess, Ma’am” Sasha said fearfully. “You will also be my Chosen vessel, but the path you walk is different. I will provide for you, and bless you with many extra years. I will train you in the ways of the warrior. You are pure of heart and this is a rare thing. Will you walk with Mika, be his shield, his protector and what he needs?” “My Lady, I can do nothing else. I will, with all my heart, and all the strength within me. I will be what he needs and pledge my life to do so.” Sasha was astonished at her own words. They came so naturally and without the usual slang that she had spoken all her life. Mika looked at Sasha in disbelief as her bandages and the one around his head fell away. All their wounds were gone. They turned back to the Lady, their mouth open in astonishment, but she was gone. A large tome and a shining shield lay on the altar.

#

The tavern was dimly lit with candles on every table and torches in holders on the walls about the room. Lively conversation filled the room while patrons enjoyed their ales, a pint in every hand. All eyes turned to the handsome stranger grasping a staff and entering the room with a beautiful young maiden at his side, a shiny, intricately runed shield on her back and a sword at her hip. The room quieted as Mika waved his hand and whispered something under his breath. The room went dark. Every candle, every torch was snuffed out in an instant. Yelling and cursing erupted. Mika slammed the end of his staff on the wooden floor with a solid thud and the room shook for an instant. Silence fell again. Mika began to chant, and once again his staff rose and fell hard on wooden planks of the tavern floor. “Let it begin,” Mika exclaimed in a strong, clear voice. “Gather around and listen. The gods spoke together with One voice and said, ‘There shall be light to guide the way for mankind to be One with us’,” he said, and a beautiful white glowing light that seemed to emanate from nowhere and everywhere at once, filled the room, and spilled out into the night, filling the streets. When the chatter settled, and people gathered at the doorway from outside, Mika began to teach the crowd. Across the room in the corner, just for an instant he thought he saw Calista, smiling brightly, then she was gone.

March 25, 2022 14:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Graham Kinross
13:43 Apr 01, 2022

Great story Mark. If you want more people to see it try to tag it with three relevant things so it shows up in different lists.

Reply

Mark James
20:46 Apr 01, 2022

Thank you, that's a good idea.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:51 Apr 02, 2022

Everyone here seems to be aiming for publication success at some point so the more attention you get the better. Plus after a while you can switch the tags so it shows up in different lists again. You can’t edit the story after it’s been approved but you can change the title and the tags. If you make it part of a series you can add (part 1). I’m writing a series on here so I’ve got the order of them listed in the profile and my blogs as well. If you do stuff like that you can have links so people might look at both.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.