0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Drama

It starts with an archway, a painted coloured arch full of light , inside the archway there is a message hidden beyond the sky. Velvet strings of ecstatic clouds fill the air. They can speak as if they are from a different time, as I walk through the archway, I see the clouds grasp the message they do not want to share it for it is hidden for a reason they say, I just think they are being cheeky and suggest they give it to me or they would not get any treats for a week, clouds loved a sense of water after all it did always pour of rain from them.

But as they say they do not care, I start to feel uneasy, they seem to sense that the clouds and baby cloud , speaks I am not meant to give you this, a message that was hidden behind these great skies. One that would melt the lives for years to come. But I take it reluctant to find out what the clouds have been hiding. Baby cloud smiles and then I say your secret is save with me, and he goes back to the other clouds without them knowing.

I draw back, from the clouds, the archway seems to fade in out of my consciousness. As I go home and lay on my soft bed, I unravel the scroll that the message is its with cloud dust so it must be important anything with cloud dust shows a hidden message.

I read it aloud the hidden recipe created by your grandparents, your one and only saviours , they gave it to us clouds to protect and love with all their hearts. However even though this meant something deep to the clouds the riddle suddenly turned quite dark, a mystical fog began to creep over my bed from underneath the sheets. As I read it out aloud , these walls to speak are not yours to keep, beyond the grave is a hidden life one that I will steal from the mother of a child , and you must listen if you do not you be swept in darkness like me forever an eternity.

As I drew back and watched the fog take me back and down into the darkest room, I felt chilly air crisp through my lungs as I saw the red writing on the wall welcome to hell, come meet the devil and as I grasp for air my body tightens, I await my fate.

Something is coming , as I try to escape from the tight ruins from the walls but as I struggle it makes it worse.

‘’my dear child, struggling the vines will only increase my power’’. A dark sensory figure appeared, and I felt every word of his sins, every power that he created I felt.

‘’ you’re the  devil, I say in harsh tones with bitterness in my voice you’re the one who sent the end of the riddle , you’re the one who gave it the clouds without them knowing your sly, your rare , you devil scare.’’

‘’ well, well my child someone has been practising the riddle, ‘’ I am impressed the devil mentions before turning on his heel and entering the fiery chambers of breeched hell.

‘’ give it back that does not belong to you ‘’. I scream , as I see the devil trying to get the recipe from my hands.

‘’ on the contrary the devil said it does , its mine , don’t you see dear child those are not your grandparents , they are mine and this world is mine.’

‘’ but if there your grandparents I say shaking , then that must mean’’. There is a dramatic pause as I try to regain thoughts.

‘’oh yes the devil said, I am the master of hell, and this heaven belongs to me’’. ‘’ you can’t touch heaven though , those clouds they belong to me, to my family’’.

‘’oh, but you see I can, and I will steal your family’s recipe , he began to snarl and then he whispered I lied that recipe was yours, but it’s known  to be mine ‘’.

As he spoke, I tried to tell him to warn him, but his slyness got the better of him that if he touched that recipe within a fraction of an amount, he would become a memory and be banished from hell and heaven forever .

But it was to late he had already headed to the kitchen , where flames were storming up a deathly treat.

Next thing I knew I was being transported back into hell’s kitchen where I watched the devil cook up a killer meal.

The secret ingredient is you , he said, sugar and spice I have solved the quest I need to boil your soul and bury it whole like a sweet joyous cake.

But just as he was about to serve me to the eaters of hell, out appeared a memory a ghostly figure I recognise them immediately , Nana and Grandad yes, my dear , it is us and you devil are not going to kill our grandchild your mistaken she is not the ingredient . you will never know the secret to our family recipe. The clouds are our protectors from heaven, and we gave it to them so you could be free devil.

And with that one word the devil was banished from hell and heaven he now lives alone in the depths of his despair, waiting always waiting to be let out freely.

I smile at my lovely Grandparents, and they seem to cuddle me one last time

Before going to heaven again but before they went, they gave me the secret hidden recipe, its in here they said , and they pointed to my heart.

I knew from the warmth of their touch that it was love all along and I smile and let them go tears in all our eyes. And I smile at them goodbye,

But not forever gone , the next thing I know I am back home in my bed awake in sweat. Surely it must have been a dream…. But I knew that it was a pretty remarkable dream, and I couldn’t wait to tell my mum and our lovely baking friends…

December 11, 2020 18:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.