Welcome to the world of psychotic overthinker.

Submitted into Contest #75 in response to: Write about someone who doesn’t remember their past — and doesn’t want to.... view prompt

0 comments

East Asian Fiction Thriller

"Okay" he said and jumped.

Falling into the wind, falling off the building, falling to death.

For some people scars are beautiful, for some they are the mark of bravery. For some, scars are bad memories, laced with pain and all that unfortunate things. But for me, scars is Me.

Welcome to the world of psychotic overthinker.

I have been watching the movie again and again, in the end of which the boy, his last words being "okay" dive off the building towards the ground. His body flailed through the wind. His clothes trying to grasp anything above them, and the wind tried to catch him, and defy that cruel gravity maliciously wanting him for itself.

'Okay' it was his last word. The society told him how to live, their "accepted behaviour" monitored his actions, their definition of a "successful career" molded his dreams into curse. Their words clung and covered most of his head, making it absolutely hard for his eyes to carry. No wonder they were drooping and sulken with black mark of baggage under them.

"Okay" he said as if agreeing to it all.

As his body flew momentarily in the air, and his hands tried flap like an extending wing, I saw a scar behind his palm, exactly similar to mine.

The story behind mine is a secret. Perhaps will tell you if you stay with me till the end? Since that's the only way for me to make you stay.

"Hey sweetheart! You still watching my movie?" He asked returning home.

He died in the movie, but he lives in my life as my beloved boyfriend.

He hugged me, but I felt the mysterious scar on his arm more than his comforting hug.

"How did you get that scar?" I asked him.

"My partner did this to me when he robbed me of everything." He answered.

"How did I get one then?" I asked him showing mine.

"You did this to yourself baby. Two years ago." He replied.

*****

We sneaked and tip toed into the mental hospital's auditorium - the massive room with soothing walls. Funny how you can find words like "soothing" to describe a place with a name "mental".

As we reached there, we saw all the patients sitting, waiting, some talking to each other, some talking to themselves.

We entered the room and it dissolves into a pin drop silence. I think I just heard my heart beat!

We put down our speakers and winked. Chikni Chameli item song blazed through the speakers on full volume. The crowd cheered and we all began to dance!

After all it was Crazy Friday!!

Every second Friday, we would come down here at mental hospital's auditorium and enjoy with the patients. The room was sound-proofed and the guards were bribed. Because these"mental" patients, who have been robbed of their happiness by their minds, deserves a chance at true happiness atleast once!

But then, I saw a girl talking to him. My boyfriend! So I grabbed him by his collars and took him aside.

"Enjoying the flirting girls?" I asked.

"Areee! I wasn't flirting. She was thanking me for making her life a little better." He replied.

"Yeah sure!"

But then someone blindfolded me. And before I could do anything, I felt myself being hauled on someone's shoulder and carried to a frightening unknown.

I was being taken on someone's shoulders and I heard cries and wails of the others. I myself shrieked and beat the person underneath.

"You went too far!" I heard a voice which probably belonged to the person caring me.

Without warning, the person stopped and threw me on the bed.

I saw a nurse's cold eyes and cruel face. She was taping me to the mental bed violently, muttering nonstop. And then they call the patients mental!

This wasn't the first time we were busted.

As she hurt me, I looked around for him. Chikni chameli still rang in my ears and his projection still danced in my mind.

He is so handsome.

I wish he is safe. Please God keep him safe. Let him be safe.

She injected me with the liquid I dread most in the world. It's a bad bad serum. A note to you - keep away from that serum and that cold looking nurse.

I waited for the action to begin, for my literal few minutes in hell come alive.

"Come on Tara, your name means a Star, that is so much bigger than me!" He said.

"But Sooraj, yours mean The Sun! You are so special and important!." I argued.

"Only to Solar system!" Sooraj replied.

"Atleast you are special to somebody!" I said.

"Aww baby. You are special to me." He said in his extra cheesy voice.

And then he went off to shoot the last shot of his movie LAST, where he jumps off the building saying 'okay.'

****

"It has been two years since I am admitted to this mental hospital.

I try every Friday to party with others, sometimes we succeed, sometimes we are thrown and locked into our rooms.

"Since the day Sooraj got robbed and got that scar on his hand, his life started to end. He went through so much since then. My eyes would leak and my heart would bleed watching him labour.

"But no matter what, the dark clouds go away bringing out a rainbow. Isn't it?

He was offered a lead in the movie LAST.

"That day while shooting the last scene of his movie, he shot the last scene of his life as well.

He jumped off that building, and died. Literally, in movie and in life.

"So that day when he died, I produced the same mark on my hand to start my end." I recited.

"Good. This time I am keeping a recording of this and if you dare again break the rules, not only I will inject you with the memory serum, but I will play this on that same speaker for two weeks!" The nurse threatened as my mind whirled and tried to make sense of the situation.

"Hey sweetheart! You still watching my movie?" He asked returning home - the mental room.

He died in the movie and in reality, but he lives in my life as my beloved boyfriend.

Welcome to the mind of psychotic overthinker.

You, a normal, may leave now.

I got a boyfriend to entertain.

January 05, 2021 12:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.