The Pills.

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

13 comments

Drama

Nova entered ,I was grading like a beggar. The whole apartment smelled,rats were squeaking around ,drapes were hooked out , refrigerator door was half opened. Kitchen was full of cockroaches Bedroom was messy. “You were the ideal girl of the college. Look at your clothes, you become an alcoholic., what an egregious life. you go and sit in balcony “Nova insisted.. l resisted.but Nova took me to the balcony and made me sit in the chair. Nova cleaned the whole apartment.Done all the dishes and clothes. Changed everything .She sprayed the whole apartment.. The apartment became regulate.She made two cups of coffee.” Now tell  what happened to you? She became pitifully . I looked at her and sobbed ”from the last one year strange thing happened to me.At first fear took me , ,infatuation stored in my mind, eluding every one. Feeling panicky in gatherings and in the morning for fifteen minutes I weep daily”.” I am dying, ditching please help me” again I cried loudly.” It means that you have determination”. Nova expressed her feelings.” Don’t you worry ,I’m here for some days” she added.. In the morning I would give you two pills you would be once again rejuvenate, you your self is a key,no body help you to come out from this dark cave .but I’m assured you will come out” ..she expressed griply .”Sophia, Nova hissed ,this happened to me some times ago. The pill , I’m going to give you  has a great heft, your life would be tuned up.” Listen, Listen carefully the whole day, you will not talk any body till five o’clock ,go to the beach and have a day there “Nova advised. she gave me sandwiches, coffee and water .I became amazed. I drove to the beach .I sat on a shore.No body was there .Today I only had to listen, listen to what ?It’s pretty boring. Waves were making sound,waves were touching the rocks and backtracking, ,no body knew where did it go With a long sheering sound?.It had a complete rhythm .Beautiful rhythm. Which soothe the soul. Shorebirds or I called it shore lovers were circling over the sea. Pelicans and,teens were circling over the sea ,as it seems they were very naughty . The sea breeze were washing my whole body,. My eyes closed and fled in past.” Sophia , you are my only lovely child,” father kissed me and said” always buy petty happiness it always grow up and become a big tree.” When passing second grade he took for dinner and on the way bought skates for me.”Mama you always make Jam Jelly at home , reply was very motherly” yes you can buy it but one and important ingredient they don’t mix in it, that’s love”.  Eyes Opened . “Love you papa mama” ”shouted with great approving .walking on the shore and picking sea shells was great joy. sea rhythm were overhauling myself. Blue sky was presenting a picturesque view.It seemed that Sky is tending on the sea. it was showering happiness... After a little while I felt some body caught my hand, I became scared..A little girl and woman were postured . They touched their tongue and ears and expressed  Aaa “They were deaf people.” .On connotes they show me their shack, other side of the hill . Their loving gesture didn’t paused me.woman instantly grilled fish for me.,I ate it tastefully. she was the little girl’s mother, . guessed by seeing hanging family picture. There were only few house hold and a big net on the floor .She connotes to sit. .I get closed to the family picture and asked from my hand about them. The little girl brought a big sheet and pieces of coal.She drew an image depicting man and two boys fighting with the pirates and were killed.She drew a cave in which the little girl and the woman hid and the shack burning. Then the little girl show her small biceps that she and her mother built the shack again. “Such a brave people they are ”I thought.For a little nap I laid down on the net . closed my eyes and fled on thinking that we people are fragile and thinking about the infatuation, the weeping which I done for about fifteen minutes for so many days without any reason .But there was a reason I became alone and weak, feeling powerless, disgraceful and fatigued. Avoiding people and became alcoholic .My business affected severely and I was becoming penniless . But continuously asking one question to myself “what happened to me and what power was driving me and taking me to the lowest ebb .There are always tragedy in our lives, why not we recall happiness. Why not we pickup happiness At least every day an exercise is need to recall happiness and gratitude in our life.We should embraced positivity.This is the true life. One great happiness is approaching with open arms that is my marriage and kids .I would definitely live for that auspicious occasion.What a lovely moment it Will be .Thought smilingly . Now I’m brave and definitely grab happiness. Proning sandwiches and coffee to the little girl ,begged leave by assuring coming next month.

 Ushering on the sand was very twisting.. A big” Unaware” wrote on the sand.

 Nova was waiting , narrated the whole day engagement. She quickly brought soap and shampoo for me to took a bath ..she cooked my favorite dish smashed avocado with pomegranate seed on it. when we were retiring to bed ,she told me that she would give the second pill at nine clock in morning.” Nova,you know my father used to take me to the fun fair. .Every week end he took us to some new place”. An un stopping memories were kicking off it self, didn’t know where these memories were completely blocked .Now like some source has gushed it up, hurriedly coming to me. ,” Today my new life is being switched on” . with a wink expressed to Nova. ”what is the pill for tomorrow “asked amusingly. Tomorrow pill is also not bitter but sweet in taste”. She said .I woke up early in the morning and thinking that what would she say now, I was very excited. “It’s a new day you decide that you wannabe happy or sad today ”.she asked. Naturally”, wanna be happy. Replied determinedly.” How can be focusses on happiness didn’t have any remote control fitted in me.It was an amazing reply from me.”Look You have remote control fitted in you, Today we will go to the stage show of Bob Hope. She told me. The whole hall was jam packed. Bob Hope appeared on the stage with a puffing cigar.” Sir,,the host inquired.” ,you are puffing cigar from the last fifty years ,if you continued puffing like this, I’m afraid you would die soon”.Bob hope looked towards the audience and than to his host , again took puff of cigar and replied ”four doctors advised me not to smoke a cigar or you would die soon”. Among them three doctors are dead and I don’t know where the fourth one is .”They hall burst with laughter. We enjoyed Bob Hope for three hours .My all tensions and fear fathered away. we came home at 11o’clock and Nova was in mood of coffee.I would like to mention here that all my habit of alcohol and cigarettes were littered off .I was for getting every negative feelings and switching to wards positive provocations. At 12 o clock ,, door bell rang and belling continued ,We both got  panicked..As the door opened ,our friends burst in with a big cake and refreshments”. You don’t know ,Sophia,its your birthday ”and happy birthday song was echoing. ALL hugged and kissed me.I was imagining my self a princess, .They all danced and celebrated my birthday the whole night Then they all put down the mattresses ,Thy all laid down on sofas and on rugs and slept .luckily it was Sunday. They all slept till 1 o clock in the afternoon. Nova woke them .All of them prepared break fast for them selves. They prepared me my favorite scrambled egg and coffee ..At four o clock they all went .When they all went Nova looked at me and said” Did you enjoy the pills? and we both hugged but tears appears in my eyes but this time it was not a tears of sorrow.

Now a great change appears in my life, go to my shop., work hard and enjoy my business. I’m now married with a handsome man ,who loves me dearly ,two kids.Every month I along with my husband and kids go to the beach,play the whole day but I glimpse to the brave mother and daughter ,they smilingly taught me the lesson of courage and bravery.Special thanks to Nova ,she altered my whole life.

The End.

September 11, 2020 09:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Tariq Saeed
18:03 Sep 21, 2020

Jade,hi,have u been through my previous writings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
18:02 Sep 21, 2020

Jade,hi,have u been through my previous writings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
17:59 Sep 21, 2020

Yes Lee,it's a sort of a touch a topic of great importance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rafay Babar
17:05 Sep 21, 2020

Amazingly 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abdul Aziz
12:31 Sep 21, 2020

💯

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zardad Babar
07:07 Sep 21, 2020

Great work... Nice

Reply

Show 0 replies
Le Pathaan
16:43 Sep 15, 2020

It deals human psychology.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Haseeb Khan
05:09 Sep 15, 2020

Grate

Reply

Show 0 replies
Johar Iqbal
17:34 Sep 14, 2020

Very well

Reply

Show 0 replies
Khilwat Afridi
17:09 Sep 14, 2020

A story of bravery and courage. Good attempt

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
09:33 Sep 14, 2020

Thank you jade.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jade Young
08:15 Sep 14, 2020

Very well written😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sheejee Babar
07:06 Sep 14, 2020

Amazing story

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.