Princess, Pickles, & Pixels: A Super Mario Love Story

Submitted into Contest #236 in response to: Write a story about a grown-up sharing their favorite childhood video game with their child.... view prompt

3 comments

Adventure Funny Teens & Young Adult

The Rescue on the Yamanote Line

I guess my whole life can be split into two categories: Before Mario and After Mario. Everything that came after jumping on my first Goomba at the age of eight paled in comparison. School? Boring. The real world? Too slow.

By the time I hit my thirties, "After Mario" felt awfully stale. I wasn't going to get any taller, faster, or better looking, and video games didn't cut it like they used to. Then, the unbelievable happened. I didn't find Mario; a real-life Princess Peach found me.

Tokyo trains are always crowded, but during rush hour, the Yamanote Line becomes a sardine can on rails. When I hopped on to head home after a 12-hour shift, I found myself crammed between a snoring salaryman and an elderly woman struggling with a comically huge grocery bag. The lights flickered above our heads, painting us all in an unforgiving green wash. It was the perfect breeding ground for that special Tokyo mix of exhaustion and irritation.

I found myself losing it when a group of four rough-looking dudes stumbled onto the train at the next stop. Reeking of beer and bravado, they started jostling passengers. My irritation spiked into anxiety when they focused their attention on a tiny woman clinging to the overhead strap a few feet away.

She was beautiful, with huge luminous eyes, delicate features, and the air of a startled fawn. It didn't help that she was decked out in a traditional Bhutanese kira, which probably screamed "easy target" to these jerks. One of them, sporting a half-shaved head and pierced eyebrow, shoved the woman. Hard. I saw red.

"Leave her alone!" I shouted. Honestly, it came out with more of a squeak than a bellow, but at least it stopped them. Maybe it was my six-foot-two gaijin frame, but more likely the confused "Who is this foreigner talking back to us?" look on their faces.

Things could have escalated fast if one of their crew hadn't noticed the Game Boy Advance hanging around my neck. Apparently, even drunks are drawn to that nostalgic glow.

"Hey, old game. Whatcha playing?" he slurred, pointing at the screen. My well-honed instinct to guard my precious device nearly sent me running. Instead, the memory of those innocent eyes kept me rooted. Maybe this princess had her own way of fighting monsters.

"The best game ever made," I declared, ignoring how shaky my voice was. "Super Mario Brothers." Without looking away from the jerks, I unclipped the console and gently shoved it into her trembling hands. "Take it. Just until the next stop, okay?"

She stared at me, confused and clearly frightened. Her English was halting but enough to get the picture.

"Mario?" Her eyebrows furrowed adorably.

"Don't worry," I gave her a half-smile and glanced meaningfully at the troublemakers. "Mario...he saves...princess. Just like me."

I'm not sure she completely understood, but her tiny fingers closed around the Game Boy, and a little of the tension vanished from her shoulders. And, oh man, if it had just been Super Mario World she was about to dive into, it may have been enough. But I'd loaded that baby up with the ultimate secret weapon: Super Mario Bros 3. The raccoon suit changes everything.

I turned back to the thugs, mustering enough of my old Aikido instructor vibes to keep them from advancing. Those magical theme-song beeps and bloops floated over the tense silence, weaving an odd sense of calm on that crowded train. And then it happened—that first triumphant jump onto a Koopa shell, followed by the satisfying 'thwok' as it ricocheted into an enemy. A tiny giggle erupted from the young woman beside me. "Go Away," she yells out, as her fingers mash buttons. For the next four stops, the only sounds were the rumble of the train, those delightful Mario jingles, and a whole lot of giggling.

Maybe Mario saves the princess even better than a tall foreigner shouting on a train. It definitely changed my life. That evening, with the thugs just a bad memory, she finally looked me fully in the face. As a thank you, she offered to make me an authentic Bhutanese dinner and I took her up on it. That's how I found out how spicy she could be.

Mario vs. Midwives

A few years later, some thirteen-ish years ago, with only weeks to go before our real-life mushroom man bursts from his warp pipe, it seems Roshni isn't content to let Mario become just a legend.

The contractions started this morning like a timid knock on the door—mild, annoying, barely worth noticing. But by mid-afternoon, that knocking became a full-on battering ram of pain. It's funny how quickly everything you knew can crumble to dust...

My carefully rehearsed birth plan with its lavender oils and meditation playlist? That disintegrated sometime between the second jar of pickles this morning and Roshni's furious mashing of buttons on her ancient Game Boy. The hospital bag has been packed for weeks, sitting patiently by the door. I was going to be calm, prepared, ready to be her rock through this whole experience. Turns out, I’m a nervous wreck pacing the living room while "World 1-1" jingles mercilessly from our bedroom.

"Shouldn't we…you know…go?" I manage to stammer out.

From the next room, there's a grunt, followed by a triumphant "Woo-hoo!" My hands clench and unclench, imagining the poor kid trying to make his way into the world with our apartment transforming into a giant Mario level on an endless loop.

When I peek hesitantly around the door, it seems Roshni has abandoned the bed in favor of a precarious position propped on the floor like a super-sized Buddha, Gameboy clutched to her abdomen.

"It helps," she announces, her usually gentle voice sharp with pain and...concentration? Her hair sticks to her forehead, a bead of sweat is about to fall onto the A-button, but with a triumphant yell, she finally bops the virtual flag at the end of the level.

"Roshni," I kneel beside her, "the baby’s coming right now."

Her eyes flit around like she's searching for escape routes, and then they finally meet mine.

"Not without Mario," she whispers, the fear replacing the playful grin. It's not so much defiance as the raw panic of a true gamer with a level almost completed.

“Hey, sweetheart,” my inner Aikido instructor voice kicks in, “you only get one life out here, but unlimited saves with those mushrooms. Trust me, you win this round.”

Her shoulders sag, defeated this time not by a virtual Koopa but by the reality of labor. The Game Boy slips from her grip, forgotten. That's my signal. It's time to level up as a support player like Luigi. Or...well, probably not as heroic as Mario himself. I definitely don't hear any princess rescue music as I scoop her up in my arms and stumble towards the door, leaving the pixelated plumber waiting patiently while we begin our most dangerous quest yet.

Generation Warp Pipe

Parenthood, I've discovered, is like a never-ending Mario level. Just when you think you've got the rhythm down, figured out the pattern of Goombas and fire pits, the entire terrain shifts. One minute you're celebrating potty training and the next you're fumbling through conversations about first kisses and online predators. All you can do is jump as high as possible, grab every helpful mushroom, and try not to land face-first on a warp pipe that shoots you a decade into the future.

Case in point: Xander, no longer a chubby-cheeked kid bouncing along to Mario jingles, is now a lanky, hoodie-wearing teenager. If anything can compete with the lure of his glowing gaming rig, I figured it might be the pure nostalgia of those simpler graphics we grew up with.

"Found this in the attic!" I call out, brandishing the old Game Boy like a forgotten treasure. His head reluctantly swiveled.

"Oh, Dad, seriously? That's ancient!" Disappointment mingled with the faint aroma of teenage sarcasm.

"Ancient but cool," I insisted, fumbling to load the cartridge. "Here, check out what real old-school looks like." I pushed the worn plastic into his indifferent hands. He huffed, but curiosity ultimately overruled apathy. A reluctant grin blossomed as the first notes of Mario's theme bounced through the room. I hadn't seen that look in years – that wide-eyed joy at discovering a magical universe.

It turns out there's no time limit to becoming a master. Within minutes, Xander was cursing under his breath at failed jumps, cheering at perfectly timed coin captures, and laughing out loud at the sheer absurdity of a plumber fighting giant turtles.

"Whoa, I can see why Mom gets obsessed with this," he mused, and somehow, that simple fact warmed my heart more than any victory I'd ever notched on my own high score. This wasn't about showing him "my world". It was about building a bridge back to that uncomplicated joy we both held, even if our experiences of it were years and technological galaxies apart.

From then on, after late nights hunched over his computer, Xander found a strange comfort in those simple worlds of blocks and coins. We even tackled multiplayer Mario Kart on some Saturday afternoons, though don't tell him that many of my wins were more thanks to years of practice than actual gaming reflexes. The sound of that theme-song brought Roshni smiling too, her eyes soft with memories woven with her favorite pixelated friend.

Sometimes, when no one's looking, I even dust off the old handheld myself. Maybe I'll never beat every level or collect every last star. It doesn't matter. My real triumph wasn't defeating Bowser all those years ago. It was finding that hidden warp pipe – the one that took me from one level to another, from solo player to team leader. It turns out that even an old video game can offer you a few extra lives and lead you to unexpected adventures. The question isn’t, "Can you make it to the end?". It’s, "Who are you bringing along for the ride?"

February 08, 2024 23:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Mark Baxter
15:44 Feb 15, 2024

This is a satisfying read; it gives you the goosebumps-feeling of a happy ending. My one point of confusion was the transitions between past and present tenses when recounting the tale. The tense shifts seemed a bit ambiguous? This also smacks of some real-life experience, and I appreciate that, if indeed it is the case.

Reply

15:42 Feb 29, 2024

Possibly, the names and characters have been changed to protect the innocent :P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Adriana Bazan
06:36 Feb 15, 2024

I liked how this story turned a classic video game into a bonding experience that's both funny and sweet, stretching from a train rescue all the way to family life with kids. It made me smile to see Super Mario popping up in unexpected moments, creating an interesting thread that ties the whole narrative together.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.