57 comments

Drama Contemporary Fiction

When someone machine-gunned the doorbell and frantically banged on the door, Angie chewed her lip and sunk deeper into the couch. Well, someone. She knew exactly who was on the other side of the door, and her pulse quickened.

Her uncle Danny crossed the small living room and stopped for just a sec, giving her an uncertain thumbs up and a questioning look. Angie crossed her arms and hugged herself tightly, but she did give him the barest of nods. He made his way to the door and opened it.

And Angie’s mother burst in, a tsunami of tears and hitched gasps. She swept through the apartment and homed in on Angie, and then she crashed on the couch and pulled Angie into a bear hug.

Her mother let out a torrent of distressed noises but words slipped between them; enough to articulate, “I was so worried!” And as she rocked Angie back and forth, Angie felt the tightness in her shoulders loosening, a welcome ache bloom in her heart, and her own tears bleared her vision.

And then it began.

“Oh, Nevie, Nevie!” her mother said. “You gave me such a fright, Nevie!”

Angie’s blood froze.

One of her most prominent early memories was her first day of second grade, half way through the year in a new school and a new town. They moved to be closer to Uncle Danny, even though Angie lost all her friends. Salt in the wound after losing her father.

“You’ll make lots of new friends!” her mother said. “They’ll love you, you’ll see!”

The teacher smiled warmly and encouraged her to the front of the room, with a round of applause. Encouraged her to introduce herself to the class.

“Hi everyone. I’m Nevaeh Randall.”

And almost immediately Sally Thompson scrunched up her face and asked, “Nivea? Like the skin cream?” An honest question – and Sally not only apologized later, they became fast friends – but the damage was done. Angie had a new nickname, and Skincream stuck for many years.

Until high school.

Angie didn’t realize she was surrounded by Rita Marley and her posse until it was too late. They looked like the happiest group of best friends ever, and they were so enticingly glamourous. What she would have given to belong.

“Hi!” said Rita, a singsong sweet enough to charm Disney birds. “I’m Rita, Pastor Marley’s daughter. I haven’t seen you around before. What’s your name?”

Angie swallowed. She hated that question almost as much as she hated the answer, and nobody ever asked what’s your middle name. But it was a new day and a new school, and maybe it was a fresh start.

“Nevaeh,” she said.

Rita shared a look with her friends, a secret smile.

“Oh, that’s unusual. Is that French?”

“It’s Heaven spelled backwards,” Angie said.

Rita’s smile grew sharp enough to cut glass.

“Heaven spelled backwards,” she said, “is Hell.”

And that’s what they made Angie’s life.

“Oh Nevie!” her mother wailed. “You gave me such a fright! Oh Nevie, oh Nevie–”

“It’s Angie,” Uncle Danny said, placing a hand on her mother’s shoulder. His tone was warm and devoid of judgment yet firm and implacable.

Angie’s mother took a shaky breath and wiped her eyes. “What?”

“Angie prefers her middle name. Angela. Angie.”

“What?” her mother asked again. She pulled herself up, frowned. “No, but you love your name.”

“I hate it,” Angie whispered.

“But Nevaeh’s so unique!”

Hate. It.” It was a hiss powered by loathing.

When Danny offered a box of tissues, Angie’s mom grabbed a couple and wiped her eyes. “I didn’t know, honey,” she said. She dried her cheeks. “Oh gosh, since when?”

Angie glanced at her uncle, and he gave her an encouraging nod. They’d practiced this, while her mother was on the way. Honesty. “Always,” she whispered. Then she grabbed her own tissue.

“I’m so sorry, honey. I didn’t know. Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh – is this why you ran away?”

Angie wiped her nose, considered the question. She reviled her first name, true, but it was a problem she’d found a work around for, even if her mother was the last to know. It was irritating, but hardly a rational reason to run away – right? It was such a little thing, wasn’t it?

She frowned. “No.”

“Then why, honey? Please, just tell me. Whatever it is, we’ll figure it out! Is it because of dinner?”

Earlier that evening: another Thursday night, another Thursday fight. Her mother was running late and texted she’d pick something up on the way home. Angie texted back that she could make something. She checked her saved recipes, a loose combination of sites, social media, and videos.

It all looked amazing, though most of it was well beyond her. But she did spend a lot of time curating a list of beginner recipes that she thought she could handle. She even prepared some of them before, though they never really turned out like in the pictures – and even when they tasted off, her mother said, “It’s the thought that counts.”

She had a salad in mind, an Asian/Mediterranean fusion from a blogger she liked. It had been on her mind for a while and this seemed like a great opportunity. But when she checked the fridge and the pantry, she found both pretty much bare. You couldn’t make much of a salad from canned sardines, three boxes of salt, and an assortment of condiments.

“Can you pick up some things at the store?” she texted. She considered just going herself, but she didn’t have any money because she didn’t have a job, because she “should focus on studying”. This frequently twisted her stomach into knots, since they didn’t have much money to begin with and she knew her mother was overworked at a demeaning job.

But even if Angie did have money, she had neither a car nor a licence, which was mildly mortifying for a sixteen year old – but “cars are too dangerous at your age.”

“dont worry about it ill pick food up :)”

Angie rolled her eyes, surrendering her dreams of salad. “Okay. Just please, not KFC.”

“ok”

When her mother came home she grinned sheepishly and put a bucket of fried chicken on the table. “Oh, I couldn’t resist. It’s tradition!”

Another buried landmine, and Angie exploded. “Mom!” She actually stomped her foot.

“Nevie! You like chicken.”

“I hate it!”

“You need it! You’re all skin and bones.”

“I’m a vegetarian, Mom!”

“A what?” her mother said, taken aback. “But since when? We eat meat pretty much every day.”

“I’m trying to be!” Angie said, her words oscillating between speaking and shouting. “But you keep buying meat!”

“Nevie, please–”

Angie growled with all the pent up fury of a frustrated teen and stomped off to her room.

“Nevie!”

The door slammed. Half an hour later, her mother went to check on her and found Angie’s bedroom empty and her window open. She clutched her chest, for it felt like something had just torn her heart right out.

Uncle Danny set down a tray with two steaming mugs of tea. Both mother and daughter grabbed one. Both blew some of the steam away, and then carefully tested the tea for heat – and both scrunched their noses the same way. Despite the heavy business at hand, the similarity between them made him smile the faintest.

“It’s not because of dinner,” Angie mumbled finally. She buried her face in her hands, trying to keep the anger from boiling over. She knew there was a why of it, she felt it, but pinning it down with words was hard.

She had taken the bus after she bolted. The bus was freedom. It was limited to routes and schedules, but it was freedom. One of the very few perks of being a high school student was the bus pass which gave her the key to that liberty. The likes of Rita Marley turned their noses up at the scuffed floors and the worn seats, and even more so at the people who rode the bus – but to Angie these were beautiful things. They were real things, unburdened things, and unburdening.

What she loved most about the bus was its quiet indifference. Nobody hassled her as she sat lost in thought, nobody corrected her, or criticized, or suggested. When she had just started riding on her own, nobody offered to help her when she missed her stop and had to walk a block. Life just let her make her own mistakes.

She’d since memorized her most important routes. Just a year ago she even convinced her mother to allow her to ride to her cello lessons on her own, instead of relying on the car and whatever brutal shift-trades that meant at her mother’s job. A small victory, diminished somewhat by the fact she disliked the cello, but “I just love when you play and I know you’ll make it big one day!”

One of her favourite routes was to Uncle Danny’s. They got on well, laughing or chatting about pretty much anything, and he encouraged her to ask questions. Danny was the reason Angie got to go camping in the summer, or fishing in the spring, or to an amusement park, or to the movies – and it took a long time for her mother to finally allow that one, because “movies are poison for the mind and the soul.” Uncle Danny said his door was always open – and he kept that promise.

“Mom,” Angie said, sitting forward. She grabbed her mother’s hand, dabbed her own eyes. She glanced at Uncle Danny and again, he offered an encouraging nod. They rehearsed this too, when she had arrived earlier that night halfway to going nuclear. It was a good talk, even if he insisted on calling her mother and letting her know where Angie was.

“I just feel,” she began, and took a shaky breath. “Like, you never listen to me.”

“Oh, honey–”

“–please. I’m sixteen, Mom. I’m not a kid anymore.”

“You’re my baby.” She stroked Angie’s cheek with her thumb.

“I want to get a job,” Angie said, undeterred. “I want to help! You don’t have to do everything alone. Please. I can cook. And I don’t want to do the cello any more. Let me… let me be.”

Her mother leaned in and hugged her once more, simply unable to find words. They embraced long and hard, each again overtaken by tears. “Okay, Angie,” she said, “Okay. We’ll figure it out.” Another long embrace, and Angie clung to her mother like she hadn’t done in ages.

“But you’ll always be my baby.”

April 12, 2023 22:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

57 comments

Viga Boland
22:14 Apr 20, 2023

This was so enjoyable Michal. But best of all were the realities your story pinpoints i.e. mom seeing her daughter as her baby; mom hearing her daughter’s words but not really listening; daughter needing to be recognized as young adult etc etc. How much we parents can relate to all of those issues and emotions. And, being as big as I am on writers using dialogue to move stories along and reveal characters through their own words, this story wins doubly for me.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:44 Apr 21, 2023

Yes, dialogue is a powerful tool, I'm learning :) Great for characterization, great for "sneaking in" exposition (although, this can also end up being hilariously bad) and great for addressing or exacerbating the conflicts. I'm glad the story was enjoyable! The parent/child dynamic seemed a natural fit for the prompt, to me. I appreciate the feedback, Viga :)

Reply

Viga Boland
23:05 Apr 21, 2023

My pleasure, Michal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:17 Apr 20, 2023

Ha, that last line! There she goes again... yes, even a close family can have its secrets, and 16 year olds can be very good at concealing their hand. The focus on the unusual name was interesting as lots of related topics spun out of it like parental hopes and how, even for our kids who we think we know, our idea of heaven might be their hell ( in fact, in my experience, that is the benchmark!) I'm setting your Ten Days to Mindfulness as home reading this week for my Creative Writing class. We're focusing on structure and character developm...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:46 Apr 20, 2023

Yes, that's always the struggle, isn't it? Time time time. Time to read, time to write - never enough of it. Glad to hear you've made some time for another book. My TBR pile is jealous :) Names are great fun, and you're right about kids concealing their hands. I suspect it's natural, and frankly, it seems like a useful skill to develop. Sure, in polite society we put a premium on honesty and the truth and whatever else, but deception has practical uses too. Happy to hear about the course progress :) Hopefully they'll get something out of...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
20:50 Apr 17, 2023

Great title! Story fits the prompt well; the mother really wants nothing but the best for her precious daughter, but is entirely misguided in her efforts. Reminds me of the movie “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” (only the parent/child relationship part!) Your stories are often thought provoking - which is good! : ) and this one made me think of several names. Fascinating topic in itself! One of my grandmas was named Arda. It wasn’t problematic (other than occasionally being spelled “Ada”). I have a newspaper clipping of her birth announc...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:43 Apr 18, 2023

Thanks, Cindy! Yeah, names can be super interesting, and that concept was the seed for this story. Many people pick "unique" ones for reasons, and these can have negative effects on kids. On the other hand, all names were at one point invented, and even today new names will sometimes gain traction and become established. It's fascinating stuff :) "Cinnamon Rose" is unusual, but not egregious. After all, just "Rose" is a common enough name. I recently read about a couple that named their newborn daughter "Titan Invictus". She'll either ha...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
19:04 Apr 17, 2023

A teen's personal Independence Day. Who hasn't had one? Whether it takes war or a treaty, a therapist's couch, a great escape, an accidental - or not so much - trip to the altar - declaring our lives as individuals is as universal as birth and death. No two alike, but it's gotta happen. Angie was fortunate to have an understanding ear in the form of a nearby uncle. I don't get the sense she'd be able to muster the courage to speak up had it not been for that support. The real trouble with a parent who makes all your decisions fo...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:46 Apr 18, 2023

Thank you, Susan :) "short of curtailing poor decisions that could result in serious damage" Ay, there's the rub. Things would be so much easier if we could just accurately see the future. Of course, they'd be pretty boring too. I think you're right about "I don't get the sense she'd be able to muster the courage to speak up had it not been for that support". I'm sure variations of this story play out all the time without support, and then either someone remains silent or something explosive is done - both increasing suffering, at least ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
18:34 Apr 17, 2023

‘Life just let her make her own mistakes.’ Love it! Like other commenters I agree the bus section was the best part, and symbolizes the freedom Neveah is looking for, the real learning that comes with ‘scuffed floors and the worn seats’ . The dialogue was great! and the physical reactions of the speakers you always do so well. One idea for a different version would be to start the story in the bus, and then have her land at the Uncles house and have Niveah walk in the door.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:49 Apr 18, 2023

Thanks, Marty! That's a neat alternative :) I had actually started this story in three different places over three different rewrites, resulting in three very different takes. I think it might be too much story for the word count, which is a recurring struggle of mine. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Marty B
21:11 Apr 18, 2023

So good to hear I am not the only one with multiple versions of the same story ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
10:35 Apr 17, 2023

Such good writing to the prompt. The mum who has failed to notice that her daughter is attempting to be a vegetarian; her name is causing her to be bullied at school, and she feels she's not being listened to - and yet mum does everything with the very best of intentions. Great imagination and, as usual, excellent writing. Thanks for sharing. Stevie

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:51 Apr 18, 2023

Thanks Stevie! Glad you enjoyed it :) I think it's one of those cases where none of these things by themselves are particularly notable, but if you add them up, they take on out-sized weight. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. B. Bullet
21:02 Apr 16, 2023

Ahhh I love good use of flashbacks! They pop up so naturally and lead back into the present story very well. I feel like that's hard to do without it being jarring or too much of a cliche spectacle. This story feels honest, and honestly I can't get enough of slice of life type narratives so I really enjoyed this! It's just living, and growing, and seeing things from points if views that aren't your own (or maybe are) and that's always a wonder to me Well done!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 Apr 17, 2023

Thank you! Glad to hear the flashbacks worked out. You're right, it can be hard to include them without bungling things up, and it's a skill I'm working on. I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
20:22 Apr 16, 2023

The exchange about being/wanting to be a vegetarian is a nice moment of humour and also gives a great sense of an adolescent character.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Apr 17, 2023

Thanks, Chris! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:31 Apr 16, 2023

Another stellar story. You know, kind of 'heaven' ly:) It was just me but took me a bit to realize she was still teenager and had run to her Uncle's. Cheers to him for being so supportive.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:41 Apr 17, 2023

Heh, thanks Mary :) And thanks for pointing out that confusion. I was wondering if it was clear enough from the beginning, but it looks like it could have been more explicit. Good lesson for next time. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:05 Apr 17, 2023

It was clearer the second time I read through. The truth was there, I didn't see it immediately.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Aanestad
22:05 Apr 15, 2023

Hey Michal! I am a sucker for end lines, and you had some pretty good ones. Two of my favorites were "They were real things, unburdened things, and unburdening" and "Life just let her make her own mistakes." By far my favorite part was the bus scene. However, I felt like this story was a little predictable. The dialogue wasn't totally believable because it felt like something that could be in a Disney Channel coming of age movie. I almost would have preferred if you kept the mom's quotes to the short snippets you added to the end of some...

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:15 Apr 17, 2023

Thanks for the feedback, Amanda! I appreciate it :) Definitely good to know what works and what doesn't. I like the quotes Angie remembers her mother making too, as that's the way these things work, isn't it? We keep replaying the words that affect us, ruminating on them. I figured the story was fundamentally about their confrontation, but perhaps the dialogue here didn't entirely work out. It's not the kind of event that gets resolved in a night, but it might start the reconciliation process. I'll keep this in mind for future work. Thanks...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
20:03 Apr 15, 2023

This story about a mother who is so busy doing for her child, she forgets to see her child, listen to her, realize she's her own person, reminds me of the play Our Town in that sense. You can see the fatal parenting mistakes that are ever so subtle and yet lead to decay in the relationship: 'Life just let her make her own mistakes.' This is such a beautiful sentiment. Letting people have the space to grown on their own and experience the world, making their own mistakes along the way. Although far from the helicopter parenting mentalilty of...

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:55 Apr 17, 2023

Thanks, Wally! I think you nailed it with the "critical point" comment. Everything is always changing, and this is especially true for a child that's growing into an adult. No doubt adjusting to that as a parent is a challenge. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
01:15 Apr 17, 2023

My mother always said she raised us to be the type of adults she'd want to spend time with. The thinking, I believe, was that we were going to be adults a lot longer than we were going to be children. Whatever it was, it worked and all my siblings (and parents) are extremely close.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:18 Apr 15, 2023

The perfect choice for a prompt about a good person doing the wrong things - a mom. Particularly a mom raising a female. Well done. You captured the tension the well meaning mom inflicts on the child struggling for self-identity brilliantly, capturing the dilemma perfectly with: "She knew there was a why of it, she felt it, but pinning it down with words was hard." The pacing reveals the problem in neat bits, from her name, to the meat, to the cello, each of which is a pretty minor issue in itself yet still a problem for Angie. It's not l...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Apr 16, 2023

Thanks, Laurel! It was certainly meant to be a kind treatment, so I'm glad it came across that way. I think a lot of problems in life arise not from one major event, but lots of tiny things adding up over time. Tiny enough that we discount them on their own, and then it's difficult to pin down why we feel off. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
02:29 Apr 15, 2023

This is both a heart-rending and a heart-warming story, Michal. You set the tone of what was to come, with the sound of that doorbell. You also captured the angst of a teenager who has been bullied and shamed by her contemporaries since she first went to school, because they saw her as being different, and has to deal with a parent who tries hard but, in her daughter's eyes, keeps missing the mark. She is only now gaining the confidence to be her own person. I see great things for Nevaeh/Angie on life's road ahead. The last line ended th...

Reply

Michał Przywara
15:37 Apr 16, 2023

Thanks, Richard! Sounds like everything came across well :) I'm particularly pleased with "both a heart-rending and a heart-warming story", as that does capture that idea of good intentions gone awry. It's also the kind of effect I struggle to write, so it's good to hear there was some success this week. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
10:52 Apr 14, 2023

This is written very well, and it's so relatable, Michal. My wife and I were teachers, so when we raised our boys, our teacher insights always warred with our parental need to protect them. Where does one let go a little? At what age do we allow this or that? How can we protect them and still let them be who they want to be? It's a fucking impossible task, my friend, and you captured that so very well. That last line, man. I'm not usually a fan of last lines because too many writers try to encapsulate their entire story in that one line. Th...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Apr 14, 2023

Thanks, Del! Yeah, it's a hard balance to strike, made worse by it being a moving target. After all, years pass, people grow, the whole thing is on a timer. Though I suspect teacher might be one of those professions that gives more relevant experience than most people are exposed to. That could be an interesting story, actually, where teacher instincts and parent instincts clash. I'm glad the story worked for you, and that the final line is good. I don't think a mother can be faulted for expressing that :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
08:22 Apr 13, 2023

“But you’ll always be my baby.” So innocent yet limiting and gosh I’m guilty of it. So hard to see your babies grow up. As parents we project our wants, needs, fears etc onto our children, that protection becomes disempowering. This is a story of a parent who is suffocating their child with well meaning, good intentioned love, that doesn’t listen to the actual needs and wants of the child. In this case the child is seen as an extension of the parent, of the parent’s own wants, and needs. This is demonstrated by the mother’s total lack of a...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:50 Apr 13, 2023

Yeah, I don't think a mother can be faulted for thinking that line :) But it's a hard balance, isn't it? For tiny children, parents really do know what's best. As time goes on, things get a little murkier, and that naturally leads to friction. I don't think it's avoidable, and it seems like a fairly universal cycle. Great for generating conflict for stories though :) I'm glad you enjoyed this, Michelle, and I'm grateful for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
07:46 Apr 13, 2023

Michal, How many of our children's scars are caused by our fears? Of them not living a life better than us or living a life that's worse than our neighbors! I wish we had an instrument to measure the cruelty of it all. This emotional piece just shows how seemingly innocuous things can build up a toxic dynamic, not born out of malice but definitely born out of loads of ignorance. And of course the fear of losing control. The last sentence sums it up perfectly. Another line I liked was- They were real things, unburdened things, and unburdenin...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Apr 13, 2023

Yeah, it's a careful balance, but like you say, "not born out of malice." I suspect there must be friction and there must be mistakes, because it's the only way we really learn when we've erred. But making mistakes is a frightening prospect when you're raising a human :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, Suma!

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
03:39 Apr 14, 2023

True. I still remember my teenage son quip at me on one of those moments, ' I know you love me mom, but do you LIKE me?' . That really made me think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
03:09 Apr 13, 2023

Michał, your mastery of human dialogue and emotion is admirable. I enjoyed the vivid imagery “I was so worried!” And as she rocked Angie back and forth, Angie felt the tightness in her shoulders loosening, a welcome ache bloom in her heart, and her own tears bleared her vision. - These couple of sentences demonstrate such mastery. One suggestion, if I may. His tone, warm and devoid of judgment. His tone, firm and implacable. His tone was warm and devoid of judgement yet firm and implacable. May add to an already shining star of a story ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:54 Apr 13, 2023

I've taken your suggestion, Lily, thanks! It does read more smoothly. Very glad you enjoyed this one, and that some of the descriptions worked out :)

Reply

Lily Finch
21:16 Apr 13, 2023

I am glad you liked and took my suggestion. I think you have a solidly written piece. As always Michał. Humbled LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
02:10 Apr 13, 2023

Michal, A subtle commentary on bullying that leads a young person to flee to the safety of her uncle's haven. However, her doting mother is partly to blame for the suffocating sensation that sometimes comes with motherly love. Until she died at the age of 91 years, I was always my mum's "Little Boy," and I can relate to some of the issues your character, Nevaeh faced - like clarinet lessons I didn't want. However, after many years in bands, I wish I had finished those clarinet lessons, because I would be able to read music instead of only...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:58 Apr 13, 2023

It's pretty universal, isn't it? Initially the parent does know better than the child, but that balance changes with age and it's hard to adjust. Maybe it's sentiment, or maybe accepting that fact is accepting the fact that everyone is inexorably getting older, all the time. And feeling like a wise adult at sixteen - well, been there :) "We are not our parents, and they are not us, and neither should want it any other way." This is a great point. "Parents should think a bit more before naming their children." That's actually what tri...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
01:15 Apr 13, 2023

You do such a great job with dialogue and finding the exact right way to describe emotion, down to the micro expression: “Angie crossed her arms and hugged herself tightly, but she did give him the barest of nods.” I could immediately visualize the scene. This feels like a believable family dynamic: the overworked single mom, the girl who feels like the odd one out in teenage society and partly blames it on her parents, and the well meaning relative who mediates the drama. All very well done. One minor thought: I wonder if this section her...

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:50 Apr 13, 2023

You know, I actually had it as "had taken" in the first drafts, but I've found I use "had" far too often when describing past events so now there's a conscious effort to minimize them. But if there was any confusion, it went too far -- so thanks for pointing it out! It's been restored. A scene boundary should be clear; that makes sense. I'm glad the premise worked out. I was definitely aiming for that "road to hell is paved with good intentions" trope, and it seemed like parent/child had lots of opportunity for it. There's a line between pr...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Banks
07:51 May 15, 2023

It's ever so strange, my friend in America, her daughter is called neveah, after discussing how her name was heaven spelled backward and me replying I should be called lleh, I noticed you commented on the 8th day, then I found this, how strange, enjoyed the story, had a nice happy mother daughter bonding ending, i felt sorry for the mother, we as parents call our children niave but sometimes we are the niave ones, not realising or understanding their needs and trying to mold them into a better version of us, I know with my own I have to allo...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:47 May 16, 2023

Thanks, Kevin! Yeah, it's a difficult puzzle, isn't it? Because "what's best" keeps changing over time. I don't think there's any malice here, but there's still room for harm, which is interesting to explore with stories. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.