10 comments

Christian Fantasy Fiction

In the middle of the journey of our life I came to myself within a dark wood where the straight way was lost…


I know it's said that strange things, peculiar things, happen from time to time; but to have my street suddenly transform into a forest went beyond anything I'd ever imagined or heard. I found myself on a dirt path that branched about thirty feet ahead. One path continued fairly straight - a bit wavy though. The other? Not even close to straight. So crooked, in fact, that it appeared to slither, if, indeed, paths had that ability.


The forest of that path, the truly crooked one, sported stunted, gnarled trees in a twilight world where shadows flitted from mostly bare branches and half-seen creatures skittered along their base. Along the winding path the light penetrated much more and the forest looked almost like any normal forest. Almost.


And I stood at the branch looking at me! More to the point, I stood blocking the path that followed the winding path while leaving the crooked unobstructed.


Confused?


Yep, me too.


And I seemed to beckon to me, or me beckoned to I, or I beckoned to I…


Ahhh, never mind.


I moved to within a few feet of the me blocking the path and stopped. Making sure to stay out of arm's reach and ready to run if need be, I regarded myself. I believe, also, that myself regarded me. I tried to not think too hard about it.


I know what you might be thinking. Mirror image. If only! The other me, the blocking me, looked to be a mockery only. I still found myself in the same sweat pants and stain shirt (I only wear certain shirts when I eat because I'm known to have spillage) I wore while going to the road to get my mail. He sported what appeared to be jeans and a v-neck tee; but the disheveled, torn, and grimy clothing made it hard to be sure. No shoes that I could discern, only holey socks. In that I suppose we were most alike.


He continued to regard me through dark, sunken eyes. His skin, unlike mine, had an ash-like quality to it. His body, thin, emaciated, and barely looked able to support itself. I locked eyes with me and quickly looked away. I saw things there. Awful things. Things I wish never happened. Cold crept around my belly and wormed up my spine. I recognized that me. "Why are you doing this?"


"Why? WHY, you ask? LOOK AT ME! I'm a shadow of you, more hollow than anything. I used to be substantial. WE were substantial. You fed me. Gave me sustenance. Now I barely eke out an existence."


"You lied to me. Manipulated me. I did things I'm not proud of because I believed I would feel better about myself!" I couldn't look at me. I hated me. And he hated me for following the less crooked path. The time came I denied that part of me, or at least as much as possible. We truly can't completely deny ourselves. At least not in this world; but that part of me refuses to go quietly, continually whispering in my ear. Continually trying to get me embracing things of this world again, glorifying power, sex and money. All of which I tend to lump under power anyway.


"You remember the picture?"


Of course I remember the picture. We're each other. We know our thoughts. I'm attempting to influence me again. In a movie the villain in an art gallery pointed to a picture blown up larger than life size of a middle eastern man with a gun pointed at another middle eastern man's head, who cowered on the ground. The villain asked the hero which one they preferred to be. Having never considered it, I found the question profound. I always felt like the cowering man, the man without hope; but that 'me' tried to get me to be the man holding the gun. The man in control. The man with the power. Far too often he (I?) succeeded.


That didn't work in my favor. Hollow, pyrrhic victories were all I got out of it. At the time I didn't see it. Cruelly torturing insects and small animals as a child because I feared, thankfully, taking my anger out on others. Ohhh, the other me filled my psyche with visions and fantasies of revenge against them, but something held me back. As an adult being known as someone who 'spoke my mind,' regardless of who it affected. One night stands with women for which I had no feelings at all. Solomon had it right stating 'All is vanity.'


Even Ray Bradbury got it right when he wrote in Something Wicked this Way Comes: "Most men jump to give up everything for nothing…"


I did. I lost everything. It stunned me just how quickly that fall came. But in losing everything, I gained so much more. "There is a third choice in that picture."


He recoiled because he knows. He is me and I am him. I know he won't give up. He can't. I explained it anyway, "I am the one in the picture you don't see. The one standing between them, full of hope in my Savior, unafraid, wanting to lift the cowering man up and instill love in the other to drop his gun and let go of the hate. Wanting them to embrace and accept each other. And if I should die in the attempt, I stand before God. This world is empty. It holds little for me except for the chance to grow closer to Him."


His face twisted in fury and he stepped up, putting his face mere inches from mine. "So you find God and cast me aside as if I'm nothing!"


Two thoughts quickly occurred to me. One is that it's a good thing I'm not suicidal, or I believe I would've killed myself. The other is that I really need to brush my teeth.


Then I realized he tried to set me up. Not that he would've gained much sustenance, but he was desperate. "What arrogance for me to think that I found Him! I never looked. I lost everything because of listening to you, to myself; and like the lost sheep HE found ME! I realized he sought me all along, but I allowed YOU, the worldly me, to hide that. In losing the world, I gained a far more precious treasure. For that, I thank you."


I continued, "And the day will come when I shed you for good, and that the path before me is straight."


I almost thought he would wail, such was the pain on his face. For the moment, his arrogance gone, he turned away and trudged up the crooked path. The forest and paths disappeared and I found myself again on my street by my mailbox. Singing 'I Can Only Imagine' to myself, I retrieved my mail and headed back to my house.

March 12, 2023 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Helen A Smith
12:43 Mar 19, 2023

Some beautiful lines here and interesting response to the prompt. Different paths that could have been taken. Liked the tree imagery. The narrator did what was right for him, even though it was a struggle.

Reply

Kevin V
14:45 Mar 19, 2023

Thank you, Helen, for taking the time to read and comment on my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:12 Mar 16, 2023

Deep, deep thinking here. I liked 'if paths had that ability' and all. Don't think it needs changing. You say you are middle of the road on this one but wouldn't that one be the straight and narrow road so that is okay:) Great use of prompt, loved the Christian struggle with our selves. Maybe add some words to your bio? Like the pic.

Reply

Kevin V
00:52 Mar 17, 2023

Thank you Mary! Funny comeback on the 'straight and narrow road.' I set myself up for that one! I'm glad you like the picture. I like the minions and that one is named 'Kevin.' This story was little tough to write and I was afraid it might be unclear, confusing and/or muddled. Seems like you and the other readers are getting it, though. That's good. I appreciate your reading and commenting on my story very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
22:20 Mar 12, 2023

I think this was beautifully done, Kevin (aka KV :). Truly thought-provoking and also a relatable protagonist: he's not perfect, as are none of us. He's just living to do the right thing in the time we've been allowed, and - more importantly - winning against his own baser natures when confronted by them. I think it worked!

Reply

Kevin V
00:01 Mar 13, 2023

Thank you Wendy. I was afraid it would be hard to follow, or too preachy. We all have a darker side, some more than others, that we fight or follow depending, I suppose, on circumstances. And, yes, I decided to change my profile a bit. Here it will stay. I do so like the minions!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hollie Hughes
00:30 Mar 19, 2023

This brought out so much emotion in me when reading this. I absolutely love your take on this story prompt. The concept of your work is incredibly intriguing with the shadow self. The character meeting the 'dark' side of herself is very relatable and overall the conceptualisation of the conversation between them is incredible, in showing both parts of ourselves. It reminded me of my own work and what I was trying to convey with this story prompt. I absolutely love your work and would really appreciate it if you checked mine out. I just crea...

Reply

Kevin V
02:04 Mar 19, 2023

Thank you, Hollie, for taking the time to read and comment on my story. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
V. S. Rose
00:17 Mar 16, 2023

Kevin, I really liked the message of this story. I think many of us can relate to battling our inner demons and doing our best to conquer them. We all want to be the best people we can be in life, and sometimes it is ourselves that we have to overcome to get there. I loved how you used the two roads, one crooked and one 'slightly' less crooked, to symbolize the two paths that a person can take in life. This story was symbolically rich, and I thought you did a good job of painting the message that you wanted to convey. I am by no means an e...

Reply

Kevin V
09:53 Mar 16, 2023

Thank you V.S. for reading and responding. You make a valid suggestion and I'm looking at it. You are correct about condensing, but sometimes I get in a position where I struggle to make the minimum 1000 words required for the prompts. I am over some and will look at it. Honestly, I'm about middle of the road on this story anyway.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.