55 comments

Romance

 

Nerves flutter in my stomach, butterflies trapped, trying desperately to escape. I pace in my dressing room, sister beside me, trying to touch up my hair. I hold my white strappy heels in one hand, biting the nails on my other, perfectly manicured hand. My sister slaps by hand from my mouth, giving me a look.

"I know, I know," I say, trying to keep my hand at my side.

"Hold still!" She snaps, trying to get the pin back in my hair.

I try to, but before I know it, I'm pacing again, sister on my tail.

It all happened so quickly. The proposal. Planning. And then the day arrived. The butterflies hadn't left my stomach for weeks. Not since he had proposed, and it had only gotten worse as everything went on.

Before I knew it, I was squeezing myself into a lacey white dress and curling my hair perfectly. My sister was currently trying to stab crystal pins through it. They had belonged to my mother, and she had worn them when she got married. She had passed them down to me mere minutes before and then had left to check on some last-minute preparations.

There wasn't much time left.

My best friend watches me from a stool on the other side of the dressing room, holding back her laughter. I've never been this nervous, and apparently, it's a comical sight.

Before my sister can stop me, I drop my shoes, pick up my skirt, and run from the dressing room. I hear my best friend bust out laughing at the sight of me running, barefoot, away, and then I hear her and my sister give chase.

It doesn't matter.

I need to talk to him. To see him. Who cares if I'm in my dress? Who cares about the superstitions?

I just need to talk to him. I need him to calm me down.

I need him.

I sprint through the halls, as fast as I can in the heavy dress until I make it to his dressing room. I throw the door open, revealing a sight that kills the butterflies flitting through my stomach. Turns them into wasps, more like.

There he is, dapper in his black and white suit.

And there she is.

My mother.

Wearing her nice red dress, hair done up in intricate braids.

I freeze in the doorway, lace slipping from my fingers, and just stare.

My sister and best friend reach me, freezing behind me as they take in the sight that I just witnessed.

As they see my fiance and mother freeze, looking to me with terror and guilt in their eyes.

I don't give either of them so much as a second to explain.

I knew this was a bad idea. That we had gone into this too quickly. And yet, blinded by love and lust, I had said yes. I had donned that diamond ring, announced the engagement last thanksgiving. I had hugged everyone, tears in their eyes. Tears of joy in my own.

But it was too quick.

Those butterflies I had thought were excitement... they were nervous butterflies.

I grab my best friend by the hand and pull her towards the large double doors, throwing them open. The music stumbles to a start, heads turning to see me, fury clouding my face, began to walk down the aisle.

My best friend follows behind me as we approach the isle.

I reach the arch of flowers, and freeze, taking a deep breath before turning to face the crowd.

Just as a do so, my fiance freezes in the doorway, flustered and panting hard.

My mother is right behind him.

I look him in the eye. He shakes his head.

I nod.

My best friend stands beside me, staring at my fiance with murder in her eyes. She crosses her arms across her chest, staring him down with a look that has him trembling.

She gives me a look, telling me with her eyes to ruin him.

So I tell the crowd everything.

Every little mistake that the man I was about to marry made.

Including the newest one. I declare that he will pay for the entirety of the ruined wedding, returning to me every cent that I chipped in.

And then, best friends hand in mine, her fury mingling with mine, walk calmly from the arch of flowers that had been meant to stand over me on the happiest day of my life.

As I reach my mother and fiance, I tear the veil from my head. every single pin. the ring.

I hand them to my mother.

"Seems like you want these more than I ever did," I say.

Then, right there in front of both of them, I strip out of the wedding gown, handing that to my mother, too.

In nothing but the lingerie meant for my wedding night, bare feet slapping against the hardwood floors, I waltz right out of the chapel.

Only then do I allow the tears to begin to fall.

My best friend, upon seeing the black eye makeup begin to drip down my face, turns to go back into the chapel. I watch, ignoring the people staring at my barely clothed self, as my best friend returns moments later, dragging my fiance by the ear.

She throws the man into the street, spits on him, and then picks me up, carrying me to the limousine that was supposed to take us to the airport for our honeymoon.

She places me in the car, throws an obscene gesture towards my husband, and then climbs in after me.

The wasps leave my stomach, leave me empty, as we drive away from my mother and ex-fiance, and the crowd that has gathered to watch us leave, and head to the airport.

I realize, sobbing in the car, that two weeks spent with my best friend rather than a man that would so quickly leave me was exactly what I needed.

July 28, 2020 20:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

55 comments

18:51 Jul 31, 2020

This is a beautiful, heartfelt story.

Reply

Heidi Hanson
13:49 Aug 01, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lia Nina
22:48 Jan 25, 2021

The prompt made me laugh out loud, but your story managed to strike me in the feels. Really well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:54 Jan 19, 2021

Wow that is a good story you rock girl

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lola Grace
15:17 Jan 14, 2021

I think this is a really good story Great writing. I really enjoyed the story and thinks it has a great storyline!

Reply

Show 0 replies
LILY JACKSON
16:55 Jan 06, 2021

The way that you captured the prompt with a brave character! The vivid image of her feelings and look! BRAVA!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Oh my gosh! Just- wow. This was just amazing. Great, passionate voice and very suspenseful as well. I loved this story so much, and I actually really want a part two! I am new to Reedsy and just published my first book yesterday, and I would really appreciate it if you could check out my first story, The Matter of Wife and Debt and possibly even give a little critique! Thanks again! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Coco Longstaff
22:35 Dec 31, 2020

I was both amazed and impressed by how you took the “Butterflies” phrase and turned it into a short but real story. I really love the ending, because it kind of describes the “BFF or BF?” battle. The story is many things, the importance of a friend being one of it. (P.S. the main character and I both chew our nails. I smiled at that.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Audrey Rodriguez
18:35 Dec 09, 2020

I was glued to it before anything exciting even happened.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Soso
11:58 Dec 04, 2020

Very very well written 💙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jessica Dery
20:14 Sep 26, 2020

I really love this story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lysandre S
00:33 Sep 05, 2020

I love the metaphor "revealing a sight that kills the butterflies flitting through my stomach. Turns them into wasps, more like." and how the title reflects this.

Reply

Pen Holder
00:19 Oct 30, 2020

Yeah, I really loved that too. It just shows how her feeling instantly changes. It´s like it could almost be felt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brennan Bilberry
22:43 Sep 04, 2020

This was incredible! I can't help but wonder why?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Hartly
17:26 Aug 16, 2020

This is so well written. I love what you did with the prompt!

Reply

Heidi Hanson
15:50 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
05:49 Aug 10, 2020

Nice twist. Interesting story. Loved it. Would you reading my story "The secret of power".

Reply

Heidi Hanson
19:54 Aug 10, 2020

Sure thing! Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sanika Raut
17:00 Aug 08, 2020

Till the last line I was hoping it to be a dream!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Angevin
11:01 Aug 08, 2020

A wonderfully written story, Heidi. I'm hooked to keep on reading from the first sentence. Great job! Would you mind checking my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Heidi Hanson
13:17 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll check out your recent story too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Asa Frederick
03:25 Aug 07, 2020

This is really good. The emotions of shock, anger and sorrow have been captured and presented perfectly. You took the prompt to its logical conclusion in the best manner possible. Great work.

Reply

Heidi Hanson
13:44 Aug 07, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Butler
12:40 Aug 05, 2020

You really captured the emotion of your protagonist well. I felt like I was in her shoes. Great writing!

Reply

Heidi Hanson
14:09 Aug 05, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.