26 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult Fiction

Leo's POV

I look around the old and dead yard as the men around me ruin everything I made for myself, everything I ever loved, and my life. They yell at each other like cavemen fighting over who gets the girl. They scream about what should go where and who is supposed to do that. I look down at the tattered green and yellow box I'm holding in my old and wrinkly hands. Slowly I open it, looking at the contents, I let out a long and shaky sigh. I have a picture of my late wife laying on top of the rest of the objects, she is smiling at the camera in a beautiful pink sundress with tropical flowers.

I look around again and this time I'm looking at my wife. She's laughing, and in my hands, I hold a camera instead of the box. She says to me "Babe! Look," She points over the mountain at the red, orange, and pink sunset. I smile and take a picture. I blink and I'm back in the yard. Looking back at the box I look at the golden necklace that I gave her on our 25th anniversary. It's engraved with the date we got married and her initials 'ST'. Picking it up I smile sadly. I look up and once again I see my wife smiling at me, our kids and grandkids surround us in the living room. She turns around, her long grey hair flowing over her shoulders, to let me put the necklace on her and I smile to myself.

Blinking out of the memory I pick up her wedding ring, I was always unable to fit it on my own finger. She had such nimble hands, she was able to sew and do hair so well, she even had her own hair and clothes store. I look up and again I'm in a memory of her, our daughter Elena is sitting down getting ready for her play as her mommy helps her. My wife looks at me with that signature toothy smile. Her fingers weave through Elenas' hair with ease slowly braiding it to the little girls liking. I say to our daughter in a smooth and silky voice "Well, don't you look like a princess." She giggles smiling with wide eyes before saying "Thank you, papa." And I reply with a "De nada." and then leave to let them get ready.

I blink out of the memory and pick up a little tarnished light blue baby shoe, of our first child, out of the box and hold it up in the air allowing the sun to engulf it in a shiny embrace. I look up once more to see our family surrounding us as my mother opens the tiny gift bag. She gasps as she pulls out a blue left baby sneaker. She looks at me and then at my wife, with her hand over her mouth she says with excitement "Oh my goodness, are you for real?!" I nod my head as she engulfs me and then my wife in a bear hug. later that night we lay in bed, I look over at my wife who by this time is knocked out and I lay my hand on her slowly growing stomach.

I blink out of the happy memory and sigh slowly closing the lid and bending down. I put the box down in the dirt. taking a handful of soil, I let it fall on top of the box. I watch as the box slowly disappears as I add more and more dirt. A tear falls from my face and lands square in the middle of the mound of dirt. I stand up, dusting my knees off, and make my way to my car. I take one more look at the destruction before me and I get into the car. Starting the car I settle in and let my mind go free in the depths of my memories.

As I get closer to my destination I hear a voice coming from the back of my car. I look into the rearview mirror to see my wife smiling at me, her hair is done up in a low ponytail, she is wearing her favorite white lace dress and her white flats. She says to me with a voice full of passion and love "Mi Amor, Siempre te amarΓ©, hasta la luna y de regreso, hasta el fin del Universo y mΓ‘s allΓ‘." She smiles one last time. I smile back saying "I will love you always my sweet angel." as she slowly fades away and I look back at the road as tears blur my vision.

Pulling into the driveway of my new house, I put the car in park and lean back with a deep exhale. I look over the house it has everything the house did except one major thing. The love of my life. I turn off the car and get out. Walking to the front door I grab for my keys. Opening the door I hear my kids yelling at my grandkids to do something or the other. I yell out for everyone to come into the kitchen. I make my way into the kitchen to wait, as my son Ralph and his wife Denise, along with their kids make their way into the kitchen and sit down I grab my own chair to sit in. Elena and her husband Kelly make their way into the room and sit down, waiting for me to start.

I say aloud "I have finally buried the capsule, And 10 years from now I want every single one of you in this room to go down to our old house and unbury it." They all nod in agreement. That night I lay in my bed and slowly fall asleep.


ο»ΏThe narrator's pov.

The next day he was reported dead. He died in his bed with his wife's picture on his chest. It was facing downward which suggests that that was the last thing he saw before his death.

October 07, 2020 18:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

16:35 Oct 29, 2020

Beautifully written and thoughtful tone. Very well done!

Reply

19:50 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you, Senior Chief.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Kubiak
01:31 Oct 15, 2020

What a great story! It was really moving and I loved the pieces of history you were able to describe so beautifully. I felt deeply for your characters throughout the story and after I had finished too! This is a great read!

Reply

19:45 Oct 15, 2020

Wow! This means a lot. I'm only a sophomore in high school so I have a lot more to learn but thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KENNEDY PLANT
17:05 Feb 19, 2021

OMG, you're gonna make me cry.......so goooooooood

Reply

18:09 Feb 19, 2021

Lol thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
17:15 Feb 12, 2021

Wow. I am secure enough as a man to say I must have been cutting onions as I read this story. It was so well done. A slice of life complete with the joys and sadness that come with life.i look forward to reading more of your work. I'm glad you liked a story of mine. The one you liked is a continuation. You can read them in order if you like..the order goes : Flowry, Special Ingredient, Snow Day, What kind of pet, and Razors Edge. The next installment is titled Tobias

Reply

12:25 Feb 16, 2021

I will and thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Courtney C
17:55 Feb 09, 2021

Beautifully written ❀️

Reply

18:04 Feb 09, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
05:00 Oct 08, 2020

FINALLY!! Sorry, I'm just sick that no one writes LGBTQ+ or lesbian stories EVER. Thank you for speaking up :) Someone already commented this, but some paragraphs would be nice. This is a very powerful story, but I think that it could flow better if if you split some bigger paragraphs. Oh, and thank you so much for your follow! I hope you enjoy this writing community :D We're all here to listen if you want to talk <3

Reply

11:16 Oct 08, 2020

OMG thanks, And I totally get what you mean. I feel like people are scared to put themselves out there and be who they are. I love your stories as well.

Reply

<inactive> .
11:04 Oct 09, 2020

I’m so glad someone else feels the same :) As of now, there are more than 20+ LGBTQ+ and lesbian stories on Reedsy and I’m really happy people are speaking up! Here’s to equality :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
15:30 Mar 24, 2021

β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Show 0 replies

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ sweet yet a little haunting. Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Isaac Alex
11:04 Feb 13, 2021

This was very moving Lilo, and very vivid. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Waves Haught
19:54 Jan 05, 2021

OMG, this is such a good story! I loved the detail put into each memory... It was very emotional.. keep up the good work!

Reply

20:04 Jan 05, 2021

Thank you so much! I love your name... Is that your real name or just a pen name? If it's your pen, Wish I had chosen that one lol, I love wayhaught.

Reply

Waves Haught
20:17 Jan 05, 2021

It is not my real name I'm just a huge fan of Wynonna Earp and Wayhaught. I love them a lot lol. And you welcome... You seem like a sweet girl :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
15:13 Jun 16, 2021

Hey, Thanks for liking my story. I haven't read this story yet, but will do it soon. Do you have any of your recommendations for me? I did fill out the Reedsy cast thing. Where do you live? Would you like to do a collaboration with me?

Reply

11:20 Jun 17, 2021

Not a problem at all :) That's fine and recommendations? Great I'll check it out. I live in Virginia I would love to collab with you :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
13:44 Jun 17, 2021

Yeah, give me some recommendations of your story and I will try to read it soon. Awesome! You can contact me here : https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/contact/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
14:05 Jun 17, 2021

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
11:43 Jun 26, 2021

I have decided to write a story with the characters introduced by you, yes, YOU. Fill this form to JOIN US!!! https://forms.gle/sH57gUnwx4a2rPtHA #new #DreamDJ #DhwaniJain #JoinUs #join #joinme #Google #Googleform

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
01:12 Oct 08, 2020

Great story! The only note I would give, is to maybe do paragraphs. Other then that, it's amazing! Keep writing!

Reply

11:17 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you very much. I was going to but I just wanted to get the 1k words out of the way because I had literally finished the story and had like 489 words so I had to add details and more to the story. I'll update it today.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.