2 comments

Drama Adventure Funny

"Patriece! Lower that music. I don't know how a child your age can be obsessed with music of my time." Mrs. Gladys said confusingly.

It was the first day of school and Patriece was ready to see all her friends after the long summer break.

"Ok mom, gosh."

Patriece lowered the music as she hummed the words to Earth Wind & Fire song September. The fourteen year old was just happy to be going to the eighth grade and reunite with all her friends that she hadn't seen all summer. Not only did she listen to the music of the 80's but she also liked to dress like she belonged in that era too. For a young girl, her outfit was a bit on the grown side. Black leather leggings, a tight long pink off the shoulder tee, with some high top adidas. Her hair was pulled up in a ponytail. Her skin was so pale she could've passed for Madonna.

The kids at her school all praised her because she took her fashion sense so personal, even the teachers. She walked to school with her walkman in her ears jamming to Mariah Carey.

"Patriece!" Sammie called out.

Sammie had a huge crush on Patriece and was hoping this year he would be able to ask her to the school dance before Patrick did. Patrick was an all star basketball player, who dated Patriece in the seventh grade.

"Hey Sammie. I missed seeing your face. You like my outfit?"

Patriece replied.

"Yea you look great. I hope we have some of the same classes this year."

"Me too."

They both begin to walk into the school building. Patriece picked up her schedule and told Sammie she would catch up with him later. As she walked to homeroom, she seen Patrick. He looked so different, but he favored one of her favorite artists Paul Mccartney, which made it hard for her to not want to be around him. Last year Patrick broke her heart and cut things off with her because his basketball schedule became more important. He wanted to get a scholarship and hoped Patriece would understand his concerns.

Patriece sped pass him and sat front row in Mrs. Lime's homeroom.

Her thoughts was scattered because she knew she would have to face Patrick, when deep down she just wanted him to do what Michael said and beat it!

"Psshh." Patrick called outside of Patreice's homeroom.

She nervously snuck out of the class before the bell rang.

"Hey Patrick, you sure have a lot of gel in your hair. Who are you trying to impress?"

"I'm trying something new with my hair, glad you like it. I wanted to talk to you about maybe giving this relationship another chance. Now that I have my spot at Rosedale high school I won't have to work as hard as I did last year. It'll be easier to see you, plus I'd like your support at my games."

"I don't know Patrick. Last year you really did hurt me. We were doing so well and you gave that all up for your hobby. I support you in everything you do, I just thought we could've worked it out instead of not speaking all summer" she replied.

"Well I just want you to think about it."

"Ok."

Patriece walked back into homeroom amused but confused at the same time. What made Patrick change his mind about wanting to be with me? she thought. There was already so many girls trying to get with him. But there was also a few boys sending Patriece letters in her locker. Although she liked to be adored, Patrick had this thing over her. He was her first boyfriend and the only person she could rock out to old school music with. He seemed to actually get her, and she wanted him but she knew he was no good.

As Mrs. Lime explained what the rules were for homeroom, and how she wanted everyone to remain in their seats until the bell rang. Patriece's thoughts were focused on what she was going to do.

"DIngggggg!"

The bell rang and everyone scurried to their classes.

Sammie caught up with Patriece.

"I overheard you and Patrick, I don't think he deserves a girl like you. Your too above his time. Now a boy like me will treat you right."

"Sammie that's sweet. I really am not taking Patrick serious. I mean look at him all googly eye'd over Tracey with her pretty brown eyes."

We can further discuss this over lunch. I have Math and Mr. Roberts is such a pain about being late, you'd think he actually liked his job. They both laughed as Patriece strutted down the hallway as if she was in a music video. Sammie had her feeling on top of the world because for once someone other than Patrick cared about her actual well being and wanted to actually add value to her life.

Patriece really was above her time. When she had discussions she spoke with intelligence and sarcasm. Her words had meaning, which most of the kids at her school lacked. No one took their studies seriously, but Patriece was thinking about college before she even reached high school. Most of the boys in her grade adored her for her beauty and drive for her school work and the girls looked up to her style and taste in fashion and music.

After a few classes, Patriece headed to lunch where she met up with Sammie.

"Sammie, I have an opposition. If you want to be my boyfriend you have to get me some prokeds!"

"Prokeds? How about some air forces or black and gold adidas. Prokeds are from the 60's!" Sammie laughed.

"Don't question me. I like what I like. Plus they won't look like the 60's on me. But that is what I'd like. I mean if you still want me to be your girlfriend."

"Ok, well I'll see how much allowance I can get in advance to get you those."

"Ok."

They both returned to their lunch tables.

Patriece only wanted those sneakers from Sammie so she could brag around the school to everyone about her new boyfriend buying her sneakers, hoping it would get back to Patrick. For some odd reason she wanted Patrick to see that she wasn't his anymore and that he lost his chance, but instead of telling him she wanted to show him.

September 27, 2020 00:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Judith Buskohl
22:26 Oct 09, 2020

I liked your story. It's been a long time since I was in high school ,but I do remember a few things for those past days. Good writing and keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bareera Samra
19:20 Oct 07, 2020

Nice One. It was a good read. The story itself was very smooth. I would love if you check out my story,' the unexpected truth'

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.