A Light in the Dark Part Twenty-Seven: A Day With Dad!

Written in response to: Write a story in which a conversation takes place where the true subject is only implied.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Horror

Lily:

Harboring a secret from him was hard, excitement buzzed in my eyes. Running his hand through his hair, his kind gaze rested on me. Tugging on my scarlet sweatshirt dress, the pocket over my stomach hid my bump. Ruffling my hair, the sleeve of his scarlet velvet suit brushed against my cheek. 

“We are doing the maintenance work on a library and museum. Then tonight we have to guard the place.” He informed me with a crooked grin, his hand resting on his hip. “I have been waiting so long for a day like this.” Smiling softly to myself, I spun my scythe in my palm out of a nervous habit. Gripping the basket holding our dinner, I had plans to tell him with a special dessert. Staring numbly at the arching trees over a long dark pathway, ruby moonlight gave everything an eerie glow. Walking up to a brick building, the librarian let us in as he left us to do everything. Locking the door behind us, Lucifer took my hand. Guiding me to the museum part, he dropped a clipboard into my palms. 

“Check off the items I read and we should be done in no time.” He sang while spinning around, my eager eyes watching him. Entering the first room, ominous weapons lined the walls behind bulletproof warded glass. Reading them off, I couldn’t check the items off fast enough. Working through another room, his face paled. That couldn’t be great, I mumbled under my breath. 

“A cursed blood diamond has been stolen.” He growled through gritted teeth, a claw extending from his finger. Finishing up the other rooms, a text had my pocket vibrating. Opening it up, the words good luck had me smiling to myself. Tucking the phone into my pocket, the scent of a rotting spirit had my back straightening. Inky ribbons swirled around me, my scythe raised in the attack position. Dropping the clipboard to the floor, my father cried out as I kicked a rotting man into the air. Catching the blood diamond, I tossed it to Lucifer. Tucking it into his pocket, his fingers curled around his dual blades. Kicking the rotting soul back into the air, my fingers caught it by throat. Dragging it behind me, I wasn’t in the mood. Slamming it down on the ground, a cloud of dust blew my hair back. Smashing the skull until the soul stopped moving, he watched in silence as I scooped up his remains. Opening a window with my free hand, the remains clattered into a pile on the outside. Dusting off my hands, I locked the window. Fuming in my spot, tonight was our thing and nothing was going to get in my fucking way. Following him to the room with the gems, he locked the blood diamond back up. Resealing it with his spell, his hand almost brushed against my bump. Stepping back a few inches, concern dimmed his eyes. 

“Are you okay?” He inquired with an odd expression, his eyes falling on a shadow demon in the corner. “Shit is going to be like this all night. It’s the only way the poor guy can get a break. At least I have you on my side this year.” Grinning at his words, this was what I always wanted after my parents died. Remembering that I sent them away for him to get his chance at raising me, a controlled fireball decayed it to ash. His eyes lingered on the exposed burn on my arm, guilt eating at his pensive smile. Pulling my sleeve down, he didn’t have to worry about it. Book shelves tumbled in the library, a huff escaping his lips. Tucking our dinner into the closest room, we prepared ourselves for a long night. Raising our weapons in the attack position, a drop of drool hit my shoulder. Glancing up, a corrupted demon twitched over me. Whistling sharply, Boomer ran out of the shadows. Snapping my fingers up at the ceiling, Boomer grew in size. Snarls rumbled in his throat, his mouth scooping him up. Swallowing him whole, Boomer shrank back down. Showering him in silent praise, my father was nowhere to be found. Closing my eyes, another demon lowered himself behind me. Cutting them down in a second, the ash rained onto me. The hours passed like this, the endless stream of enemies having me panting. One hour remained, a green gremlin crawled towards my basket of food. Boomer wanted to devour the freaking creature, my stern stare slowing him down. Sprinting after it, a claw slid through my chest. A bat demon lifted me off the ground, his nose sniffing my stomach. Choking on my blood, a coughing fit painted the wall. Watching the gremlin destroy my hard work, a loud fuck burst from my lips. Boomer asked to devour the beast, a small nod giving him the go ahead. Tearing it to shreds I had bigger problems, the librarian walking in had the monster decaying to ash. Catching me in his cloaked arms, a healing spell flowed from his blank face. Watching my wound seal shut, his skeletal fingers set me down on the worn floor. Snapping his fingers, any damage reversed itself. Boomer bounced into my arms, none of my dinner remaining. A growl from my stomach had me cursing under my breath, my father laughing heartily. Tears covered his suit, his steady hand resting on my shoulder. 

“Didn’t she do great!” He exclaimed with a twinkle in his eyes, his face falling at my busted expression. “Why are you so bummed? I had a special meal prepared for us back at the castle.” Bowing my head in shame, the librarian passed him a notebook. A portal swirled to life, my old man helping me through. Waiting until it closed behind us, he yanked me into a bear hug. Remembering my secret, his arms refused to let me go. 

“I know that you are carrying a little reaper.” He whispered gleefully, the tips of my ears growing red. “I smelled the little reaper the moment you joined my side. Join me in a celebration feast.” Releasing me, guilt paralyzed me in my spot. My father was Lucifer, so why wouldn’t he sense the little reaper? 

“The plan was to surprise you with your favorite cake with a clue in the center.” I admitted sheepishly, my mood lifting at him ruffling my hair. “Why aren’t you mad?” Spinning around, his natural smile illuminated his features. 

“Must you criticize yourself so much? I couldn’t be prouder of you. Usually I am locked in a room letting them destroy everything. In terms of becoming a grandfather to another child, my heart is seconds from pounding from out of my chest.” He gushed with an even bigger grin, his hand resting on my bump. “I was hoping to get a slice of that cake. Your cooking reminds me of your mother’s.” Guiding me to the table in the garden, a plate of my favorite pasta waited for me. Plopping down across from each other, true bliss never left his face as I let him fuss over me with every bite. Zoning out, a new level of fear paralyzed me. Boomer nudging against my leg snapped me back into the conversation, concern was written all over my father’s face once more. 

“Can you answer this? If you loved her so much, how could you let her go?” I asked cautiously, a familiar smile returning to his face. Leaning back in his chair, his finger slid his empty plate forward. 

“When you live as long as I do, you learn to let go . Don’t call me a sleaze but I got to create you.” He returned while tapping on his chin, tears welled up in her eyes. “She was just like you, you know. Kind and generous! She didn’t care that I was Lucifer. We had a good couple of years. Would you mind helping me out next year?” Sipping on my tea, his eager eyes waited for an answer. 

“I would love to. I had loads of fun and I think I improved.” I chirped cheerfully, setting my teacup down. “Only if you let me.” Teasing him with a playful grin, his fist pumped in the air with a vibrant huzzah. Reaching underneath the table, he slid a velvet box over to me. Opening up the box, all the breath left my body at my mother’s locket glittering in the plush velvet. Tears splashed onto the material, my aunt had thrown it away all those years ago. Tracing the onyx engraved heart, the chain contrasted the violet velvet. 

“I gave it to her when I first met her.” He sighed wistfully, plucking it from the velvet. “How about you wear it?” His dress shoes clicked behind me, his shaking fingers clicking it around my neck. Wild sobs wracked my body, his hands spinning me around to face him. Wiping away my tears, the warmth of my mother embraced me. Opening it, my heart skipped a beat at the portrait of the three of them in an old photo. The other side remained empty, his hands cupping mine. 

“I thought we could take a picture when this little one is born. Our new portrait could be on the other side.” He choked out with a nervous grin, his grin making him more human than he ever had. Embracing him in a desperate hug, my lips pecked his cheeks. Stumbling back with a goofy grin, he collapsed into the nearest chair.  

“The moment can’t come soon enough.” I blubbered uncontrollably, his kind gaze returning. “Look at me. I am such a mess.” Shaking his head, his finger plucked a lily with ruby tips. Handing it to me, an idea came to mind. Leaping to my feet, I messed with the radio behind him. Turning on the song playing when we first met, my hand hovered in front of his face. 

“I never got my father-daughter dance at my wedding.” I commented with a shrug, my sly grin won him over. Curling his fingers around mine, one tug had him on his feet. Placing his hand on my hip, his fingers intertwined with mine. Swaying back and forth, my head rested on his shoulder. All other noises faded away, his humming sounded like heaven to my ears. Resting his chin on the top of my head, a gracious thank you flooded from his lips. The last note faded away, tears of joy cascaded off of his chin. Matty appeared with his crooked grin, his arms curling around my waist. Smothering the nape of my neck with feverish kisses, my father wiped away the rest of his tears. 

“Did you hear about the news?” He gloated while spinning me around, a hearty laugh spilling out of my father’s lip as he noticed the locket around my neck. “Didn’t your aunt throw that away?” Hesitation hung on my father’s features, his fingers playing with the frayed edge of his jacket. 

“I had to break into their house and rob it essentially. She kept all of your mother’s jewelry. I kind of burned down the house in rage.” He answered uncomfortably, hating himself. “I didn’t mean to. I lost control of my emotions. That is a place I don’t like going back to.” Clutching the locket close to my chest, his method didn’t matter. 

“I don’t care. You could down that house a million times and I still wouldn’t give a fucking shit.” I chuckled lightly, a sad smile replacing his pained expression. “I suppose my past is exercised now.” Flashing my genuine smile, Matty’s embrace around my waist grew stronger. No, it was more like a sense of desperation. Glancing back at him, a deep pensiveness hid underneath his bright smile. 

“Don’t worry about it, pops. You made her day and that is all that matters to me.” Matty assured him with a wave of his hand, his hand returning to my bump. “Did you have a wonderful father-daughter day? Did you want to spend the night at our place? Serene has been asking for grandfather time.” Perking up at her name, his fingers snapped. A refreshed version of his suit replaced his torn one, inky ribbons stole us away to our home. Serene ran clumsily into his legs, his arms scooping her up. Spinning her around, her scarlet dress matched his suit adorably. Kissing the top of her head feverishly, they danced over to the couch. My heart fluttered at him blowing into her stomach, their laughter sounding like music to my ears. Death wandered in with Dean attached to her hip, the two of them joining Lucifer. Placing me on his back, Matty carried me out of the house. Resting my head on his back, his wild hair tickled the tip of my ear. 

“I have a surprise for you. I have been working on it all day.” He bragged with a sly grin, a tender blush rising to my cheeks. “Hold on tight.” Wrapping my arms around his neck, his lips brushed against the top of his hands. Hiking through the trail outside of our house, his deep voice told me to close my eyes. Helping me slide off my back as I covered my eyes, his fingers intertwined with mine. Guiding me through a worn pathway, my breath hitched as his hands cupped mine. Lowering my hands slowly, a picnic with my favorite desserts greeted me with sparkling cider. 

“I thought we could have a date night to celebrate the good news.” Matty mused playfully, his loving gaze watching me sit down. “Maybe I wanted to spoil you.” Winking as he plopped down next to me, his arms pulled me onto his lap. Sliding his hands under my dress, a satisfied sigh escaped his lips as he massaged my smooth bump. Basking in the moment, his skill to calm me down was a magical one. Stress has been wearing on our mental health, the two of us needing tonight. Grunting as I turned to face him, his strong arms yanked me into a desperate embrace. Burying my head into his shoulder, his tears soaked the top of my head. 

“I wish I could tell my mother in person.” He wept while kissing the top of my head, my heart aching for him. His mother had always been there for him, the image of my uncle holding the bow and arrow haunting me for a moment. The fact that my past bit me in the ass had me on edge ever since, my fingers clutching his ruby dress shirt. The bushes rustled, his mother stepping out with Life. A ruby necklace kept her from fading out of existence, her ivory robes making her look like the angel she was. Smoothing out his golden robes, the two of them seemed awfully close. Matty set me down gingerly, his body smashing into hers. Smiling softly to myself, Life sure had a habit of showing up at the perfect moment. Refusing to release each other, silent tears stained my cheeks. Missing my parents, the dull ache of their death had me jealous of Matty. Dragging her over, he placed her hands on my slight bump. Taking a moment to register what was underneath her palms, tears of joy cascaded from her quivering eyes. 

“I can’t wait to meet this little reaper!” She gushed with her palms pressed together, her hair bouncing with every jump of excitement. Used to how she was this time, I let her bury me into one of her bear hugs. Uncontrollable sobs wracked my body, her warmth bathing me in a wave of euphoria. Lifting up my chin with her finger, her gentle smile disarmed any apprehension I had. Wiping my tears away, her lips brushed against my forehead. 

“I am watching over you. Stop stressing and look at all you have accomplished. I am so proud of you.” She comforted me in her motherly tone, her finger tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. Stepping back, Life called her over. Matty smashed into her last minute, the two of them chatting with tears in their eyes. Hugging her one last time, he clutched me close to his chest. Waving goodbye, a flurry of golden petals swept them away. Swaying with me until he gathered his wits, his hands cupped my face. Pressing his lips against mine tenderly, time slowing down. Walking me back to the nearest tree, his hand pinned me to the trunk. My thighs rubbed together, scarlet coloring my cheeks. 

“Why did you bring me out here, Matty?” I teased with my palms on his firm chest, a low purr leaving his lips. “Would you look at that?” Pointing at the sky, a falling star shot across the sea of inky blackness. My breath hitched at his gaze softening to his usual love ridden look, the dirt crunching as he got on his knees. Kissing my bump, my palm cupped his cheek. By god, I was lucky to have him in my life. 

“I came out here to seduce you if you must know.” He growled huskily, rising to his feet. “We don’t have to if you don’t want to.” Waving my hands, that desire was raging inside of me. Moments like these were rare with our full house, his features illuminating the moment I draped my arms around his neck. Grazing my lips against the nape of his neck, he shivered with pleasure. 

“I love you, Matty.” I whispered tenderly into his ear, his hands sliding down to the small of my back. “Don’t you ever forget that.” Succumbing to our desires, the next hour of fun went by too fast. Collapsing next to each other, my head rested on his chest. Wishing that I had done this back then, his loving gaze rested on me. How in the hell was I so blessed in this chaotic life?

February 22, 2024 20:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.