The Unwelcome Garden Pixie

Submitted into Contest #87 in response to: Write about a mischievous pixie or trickster god.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy

Marie cherished Sunday mornings in her garden. She spent a lot of time gardening, and as a result, she had one of the most beautiful gardens in her town. The golden California sun enhanced the colorful flowers and leafy herbs, and many butterflies and bees were familiar friends with Marie’s plants. Gardening brought Marie peace because she liked to feel connected to nature, and it brought her closer to the creatures she shared her garden with. 

Marie, in bright yellow gloves and a straw hat, had been tending to her poppies. Then, she heard an odd buzzing sound and saw a flash of something red. At first, it seemed like a bug. But upon closer look, there was something very strange flying around her poppies. 

Marie didn’t believe in fantasies such as pixies or mermaids or dragons. But it was hard to deny what was in front of her: a fiery-haired pixie with wings that resembled a butterfly. She was very small but looked similar to a human. The pixie did not speak but stared at Marie with curious eyes. She was a peculiar but beautiful thing. 

Marie reached out with a finger to touch the pixie, but only startled her instead. The pixie hid behind a flower stem, peeking at Marie. 

Marie knew from folklore that pixies liked to be offered gifts. So, she pulled a ribbon from her hair and offered it to the pixie. The pixie’s face lit up with joy and she seized the ribbon, which beamed gold. Then, she flew up into the air and was gone. 

Marie resided with the satisfaction that she had charmed the pixie, although she was slightly stunned by the interaction. As she returned to tending to her garden, Marie began to question the validity of the ‘fantasy’ world. In fact, she found that she could hardly focus on anything else for the rest of the day because her mind was so consumed. She wondered if she would ever come across that pixie ever again. 

And, alas, she did. But not in the way she hoped. 

It was late at night and Marie awoke to a strange tapping noise. She quickly sat up in bed, her heart racing. She usually felt safe in her home, which she had lived alone in for twenty years. But the noise was so alarming she assumed someone was inside her house. 

Then, she saw a flash of something red at her window. It was the pixie, tapping at her window. This time, she did not look so innocent. The pixie let out a shrill cackling sound that was so loud it surrounded Marie and drowned out all thoughts. It was so awful that she winced and covered her ears. 

“Go away!” Marie shouted. Instantly, the cackling stopped and the pixie disappeared. Marie let out a sigh of relief. But as she blinked, there was the pixie again, right in front of her nose. How she had gotten inside, Marie had no clue. 

The pixie flew over to Marie’s vanity and started knocking over perfumes, candles, and jewelry while making the same sound as before. In a matter of seconds, Marie’s floor was littered with her things. 

“Stop that!” 

The pixie flew about five feet in front of Marie, who was now incredibly bothered by her pranks. 

“I’m sorry,” said the pixie. The look on her face made her apology seem truthful. It was the first time Marie had heard her speak.  

“What’s your name, little pixie?” asked Marie. 

“Ivy.” 

“Okay, well, I’m trying to sleep,” said Marie. 

To Marie’s surprise, Ivy began to cry. Her cries were obnoxious and full of misery. Marie wanted more than anything for her to go away. “You hate me,” Ivy said. “Let me fix it. I will give you a wish. Anything you want, I can grant for you.” Ivy was now completely calm. She could change expressions faster than a drop of a hat. 

Now, many individuals would not put trust in such a mischievous character. However, Marie tended to get herself into all sorts of trouble by being so trusting. And, the offer was incredibly tempting. So she agreed. Marie did not have to think very long about her wish. For many years, she had spent all her birthday candles and fallen eyelashes and wishbones on the same thing. 

“I’ve always been so lonely,” Marie admitted. “A man named Oliver Jones was once the love of my life, but he moved away and we lost touch. I wish he would come back.” 

Ivy grinned. “Anything for my friend!” Then, she laughed and disappeared. 

Marie was only alone for a few moments until there was a knock at the door. Her heart was filled with joy at the sound. He must be back, after all these years, she thought. Marie climbed out of bed excitedly and put on her slippers before going to answer the door. 

But, instead of what she had been picturing, a clown was standing on her porch with a bouquet of yellow poppies. Marie was too startled to say anything. 

“Marie, it’s me, Oliver!” said the clown.

Marie smiled politely and accepted the flowers. “Oh my, it’s been so long. You look different than I remember.” 

Oliver chuckled. “Well, of course. I moved away to become a circus clown.” 

That’s why you moved away?” 

“Yes, I thought I told you.” Oliver paused. “Marie, I’ve thought about you every day. I want you to run away with me. The circus has room for one more clown. I thought it was the perfect opportunity.” 

Marie shook her head. “I can’t.” 

Oliver sunk to his knees with a look of distress on his face. He began to beg her. “Please. Don’t break my heart like this.” 

At that moment, Oliver seemed so pathetic that Marie felt disgusted and slammed the door on him. 

Marie leaned against the door. She had wasted so much time wondering how Oliver got away. Yet, this whole time, he was a desperate clown. This night, so far, was a little slice of hell. 

To make matters worse, Ivy returned, cackling once again. “You got your wish! You got your wish!” she taunted. 

Marie squeezed her eyes closed in an attempt to ignore Ivy. I’m dreaming. Wake up, she thought. 

Then, Marie did wake up in a completely sudden way. She didn’t recall how the night ended and convinced herself it was a lucid dream. After all, she didn’t believe in fantasies. But every once in a while, she swore she could hear Ivy’s shrill voice from a vague, far distance. 

March 28, 2021 03:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

John Carpenter
00:20 Apr 04, 2021

Very charming and fanciful.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.