52 comments

Funny Contemporary Fiction

Wally wiped a fingerprint off his plaque with his monogrammed handkerchief. He couldn’t blame others for pawing at his award, for it truly was glorious: Employee of the Month, East-Northeast Sales Division 03, Town of Franklin, March 2020. Fitting recognition for his instrumental role in securing a partnership with the Mexicans. That the Mexican partners went under right after could hardly be blamed on him.

He took a step back, and it struck him how his plaque was a lonely beacon of hope, a single glimmer of fame on a wall, otherwise, of shame. There was his name on March 2020, and pretty much every other spot was taken up by Ingrid Crandall.

The system was rigged. It was already nine-o-five, and the witch wasn’t even at her desk yet. He walked over to it and tsked.

“Figures,” he said, needlessly loud. “She wins a couple awards and thinks she’s some kind of hot shit. Like she doesn’t even need to show up any more.”

Janice at the next desk over stopped typing and exhaled sharply. “Her water broke last night, dumbass. She’s at the hospital giving birth.”

“Anything to get out of work.”

Janice cracked her joints, kept her peace, and returned to typing.

Just then Mr. Tyler rushed in, his tie flailing and his eyes wide. “Ingrid!” he began, but cut short when he got to her desk. “Oh, where’s Ingrid?”

“Bad – though predictable – news, boss,” Wally said. “She basically quit.”

“What!?”

“She did not quit,” Janice said. “What the hell is the matter with you, Wally?” Then she turned to Mr. Tyler and her face brightened fit to bursting. “It happened!” she sang.

There was a tiny confused crease on Mr. Tyler’s brow, but a moment later his eyes widened and he cracked a smile. “No!” he said. “It happened? She’s having a baby?” Then they both jumped up and down, screaming with a glee that scurried down Wally’s spine. He grimaced and nearly dropped his coffee.

“Oh, we’ll have to send her something!” Mr. Tyler said. “A bouquet, chocolates, diapers; something. I’ll talk to HR. But, I guess this means she’s going to be on mat leave for a while.” His face sank, and he placed his hands on his hips. “Dang it, we really need her. The delegation from Hamburg arrived a week early and I desperately need a translator.”

“I can do it!” Wally shouted, needlessly as he was right beside Mr. Tyler.

Janice arched an eyebrow. “You can do what, Wally?”

“The job, Janice. I can do the job. Especially Ingrid’s job, since she gets all the easy ones. I’m a translator, after all.”

“Hmm,” said Janice.

“I basically mentored Ingrid. Taught her everything I know.”

Hmm,” said Janice, louder.

“Are you sure, Wally?” Mr. Tyler said.

“You can count on your number one employee of the month, boss! After all, aren’t I the guy that got us the Mexico partnership?”

“Well, but that fell apart right away.”

“Not right away, sir. It lasted like a year.”

“Actually,” said Janice, “it fell apart six days after the agreement was signed.”

“Yeah well, I don’t exactly control foreign government auditors, now do I? How was I supposed to know they were a front–”

“Guys!” Mr. Tyler said. “This is urgent, please. Now, Wally, are you sure you can do this? The Schneider account is very important to us.”

“Yeah, no sweat boss.”

“Ingrid worked very hard on it, and she had to sort out a tonne of tiny gotchas.”

“Yeah, got it, boss,” said Wally. He noticed a thick file on Ingrid’s desk, labeled “Schneider”. He picked it up. “See? These are her notes. Well, our notes, really, as we basically co-wrote it. I helped her every step of the way, basically. I mentored her. Basically.”

Janice rolled her eyes.

“Oh,” said Mr. Tyler. “Well that’s super news! A huge weight off my mind. Because, let me tell you, if we don’t get this account, HQ is going to shut our branch down.”

Wally gulped. “No sweat.”

“Well, all right then! Let’s get to conference room one, and close this deal with the Germans.”

Mr. Tyler hustled out of the room and Wally followed, with Ingrid’s file under his arm. And then it hit him.

Germans!?

His fear was confirmed when the party from Hamburg replied to his cheerful “¡Buenos días!” with confused frowning and a carefully measured “Guten Tag.

“Anything the matter?” Mr. Tyler whispered.

“Nope. No sir. You know Germans though, always so serious.” He chuckled nervously.

“Oh, right. Well, okay then.” He cleared his throat and addressed the other party. “First off, welcome! I’m sure you’d like to get right to business, so let me assure you, the latest agreement is fine by us.” He smiled wide, and silence hung in the air. The Germans looked from Mr. Tyler to Wally.

“Well?” Mr. Tyler hissed. “Wally!”

“Right!” Wally cleared his throat too, and then again a couple times more. Then he took a sip of water, and a sip turned to a drink, then a quaff, and then a drain. Then he reached for the water pitcher.

“Wally!”

Wally nearly dropped the pitcher. He looked at the foreigners, cleared his throat a final time, and translated. “Wunderbar Gesundheit Luftballon.” Most of the meaning was conveyed by his animated hand gestures.

The Germans were ruffled. One even gasped. They looked at each other, murmured, and made some sharp hand gestures of their own.

“What are they saying?” Mr. Tyler whispered.

“They, um,” Wally whispered back, “are very grateful for the water. It’s unusually tasty.”

“It’s tap.”

“Yes. Apparently they have bad tap water at home.”

“Oh,” said Mr. Tyler. “Well, it’s good we could accommodate them then.”

Finally the other party came to some conclusion and one of them stepped forward. He took a sip of his bottled water and cleared his throat. Then he let out a torrent of sound that was teasingly familiar and yet ultimately alien enough to jelly the mind, and the bottom of Wally’s stomach dropped.

“Well? What did they say?” asked Mr. Tyler. “Wally!”

“Sir!” He gulped. “Ah, well, you see–”

“Yes? Yes?”

“It turns out, they’re not satisfied with the deal.”

“What!?”

“They want to restart negotiations from scratch.”

“But it’s their deal! We are accepting their terms!”

“Yes, well, you know these Germans, sir. A bit of a ‘measure once, cut twice’ kind of people.”

“Really. The Germans.”

“Yup.”

“People who are famous for their engineering and precision.”

“Well, not these ones, anyway.”

“Wally,” Mr. Tyler hissed. “We need this deal. Ingrid said it was ironclad. We need to fix this now!”

“Well, that’s the problem right there sir. They feel like we weren’t negotiating in good faith. They felt bullied. Basically, they’re very dissatisfied with Ingrid.”

“Really? Dissatisfied with Ingrid?

When the Germans caught her name, a ripple of excitement went through them, with lots of smiling and nodding. Their leader spoke, “Ingrid! Ja, wo ist Ingrid bitte?

“See?” said Wally. “Woe is Ingrid. Bitter woe. Nothing but chaos, that one.”

“I see,” Mr. Tyler said, with a blooming frown. “Well, Wally, you just have to fix it. You know we need this deal. Whatever it takes.”

Wally felt his mouth run dry, but then Mr. Tyler said the magic words. “I’m counting on you. Do this, and you’ll make Employee of the Year. Across all East-Northeast Sales Divisions.”

The fire was lit.

Wally dug into the depths of his memories, back to that one first year German course he failed three times. He recalled everything he had ever seen David Hasselhoff in. He channeled the feeling of once being a passenger in a Volkswagen. He visualized his new plaque, and the awards gala that came with it – and yes, even the Germans were in the audience cheering for him. And he got to work.

And he was magnificent. Nobody present would ever forget that meeting.

His energy rivaled the sun as he leapt around the conference room. He put up dozens of unlabelled numbers on the whiteboard, and even drew arrows connecting some of them. He made eye contact with everyone – unceasing, unblinking eye contact. His tone was the opposite of monotone and he was practically singing. He threw out every German word he could, in rapid-fire. He gave them three Pumpernickels and a Rammstein; part of O Tannenbaum topped with a Frau Bundeskanzlerin; a string of heavily accented mumbling capped with Bei Mir Bist Du Schön. And all the while, he kept spinning his arms in circles and bringing his hands together, in what was clearly a sign of unity or togetherness or geometry.

When he was finally done, he was drenched with sweat and breathing heavily. Everyone stared at him with wide eyes.

The Germans finally whispered something: a breathless, trembling, “Was?

“Well?” asked Mr. Tyler. “You were magnificent, Wally! What did they say? Will they reconsider?”

Wally put a hand on Mr. Tyler’s shoulder. “I think so, sir. They need a moment to think it over.” When he looked back at them, he saw the incredulity had faded to hard scowls, and they were all on their phones. “I just need to get something from my desk.”

Wally hurried back to his office, walked to the wall with his plaque, and muttered “fuck fuck fuck” under his breath as his heart raced.

“You don’t speak German, do you?” Janice asked.

“Not a word.”

“We’re all out a job, aren’t we?”

“I panicked.”

“Oh, Wally.”

Wally grabbed his plaque, his coat, and his coffee mug. He left his office, went downstairs instead of back to the conference room, and then to the parking lot. And then he got into his Chevy and drove off.

December 21, 2022 01:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

Riel Rosehill
19:26 Dec 24, 2022

Hiya! It was so nice to take time and read one of your stories again - honestly I could tell you wrote it if I found it without your name! It's a true Michał Przywara style story and I loved every sentence of it. I really need to make time to read them more - this was a TREAT. Hope it gets recognised! Wally was just such a funny character, I was smiling all the way through. Some of my favourite bits were: “Bad – though predictable – news, boss,” Wally said. “She basically quit.” 😂 “See?” said Wally. “Woe is Ingrid. Bitter woe. Nothing ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:30 Dec 24, 2022

Hey Riel! Glad it came across funny. That was definitely the goal, but I still have trouble telling if something I wrote is funny, until it's released for others to read. I've also wondered if I had "a voice", and it sounds like maybe yeah. That's good to know! Thanks for checking in and the feedback. Hope you have a great holiday season too :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
19:17 Dec 21, 2022

I effing loved this story! Wally reminds me a little of Ignatius Reilly in 'A Confederacy of Dunces.' This is a stinging indictment on our need to be recognized and glorified for everything we do. Wally might as well be some teenager obsessing over Twitter likes and dreaming of making it big on tiktok. The really savage, sad, and hilarious thing is that Wally actually believes almost everything he says and thinks. When Ingrid is giving birth and he comments that she is doing it to get out of work, I realized that Wally was a symptom of of ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:06 Dec 22, 2022

I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams, so that's made my day :) "We must have it all." Yeah, right on. And why? Because winners have it all. So if you don't have it all, what does that make you? A loser. It's an insidious mindset, but I guess it's good for getting people to buy junk so they can finally beat those Joneses. I wonder if it's related to the teaching? There's this tendency to think that smart people do things effortlessly (which is ridiculous, but many people fall for it, including myself for a good long while), so for a smart perso...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
00:01 Dec 23, 2022

"I wonder if it's related to the teaching? There's this tendency to think that smart people do things effortlessly (which is ridiculous, but many people fall for it, including myself for a good long while), so for a smart person, merely listening to a single lecture *should* make you an expert. And if you ask questions or put work in, well, obviously you didn't get it effortlessly, so you're not smart. Of course that never pans out in real life, but we as a species have never let something as trivial as reality stand in the way of our belief...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Dec 23, 2022

Likewise, Delbert :) Winning is great, but if there's even two amazing stories, one of them must lose. So it goes. Chatting with other writers is fantastic for finding what works and what doesn't, and often getting interesting context and background. Most of us can't just read a Stephen King novel and seconds later ask him what he meant in chapter seven :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
17:00 Dec 25, 2022

This is a winner. Michal. Hilarious to everyone except the Germans of course. Bit hard on them as most speak very good English. Well written. funny and a perfect ending.

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:34 Dec 26, 2022

Thanks, Mary! And yeah, you're right. From their POV, this might read more like a surreal horror, where they go to what they assume is a business meeting with soon-to-be partners, and are accosted by a manic man spouting gibberish. And yeah, in 2020+, the likelihood of at least some of them having a decent grasp of English is high. Perhaps this scenario isn't impossible, but it is unlikely. Maybe translators are retained for legal reasons and purposes of professional jargon. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
08:31 Dec 25, 2022

Michal - UGH, I thought I was already following the one and only. I'm now officially part of your fan base in the form of a follow. Hope you don't mind being inundated w Liv Chocolate comments and likes fm now on I loved every word of this This line had me rolling: “They, um,” Wally whispered back, “are very grateful for the water. It’s unusually tasty.” “It’s tap.” As Tommy Goround would say, CLAPPING

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:17 Dec 26, 2022

Heh, thanks Liv! I'm glad you enjoyed this one :) I like that line too. Lying when you don't have time to come up with a good lie is great for getting characters into trouble :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
01:57 Dec 26, 2022

😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:44 Dec 23, 2022

Luftballon :) He channeled the feeling of once being a passenger in a Volkswagen. :) :) I was waiting for Ich bin ein Berliner Lots of fun to read this, and about such a bad (flawed? misguided?) character that you absolutely can't root for but still want to find out what happens. Glad it didn't work out for him (as might happen in a lot of movies now where morally awful people somehow win).

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Dec 23, 2022

I suspect if Wally won, it would have been because he stumbled into it, and not out of competence :) Or, I can envision him falling hard from this story, maybe taking a look at his life, and finding a way to improve. But, that would be a different story. Thanks for the feedback, Laurel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
06:11 Dec 22, 2022

Loved the voice.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:55 Dec 22, 2022

Thanks! It was a fun one :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
06:40 Dec 21, 2022

If there's anyone who could respond to what I found to be the most intimidating prompt this week, it would be you, Michal, and you've done it with such class and comedy! I smiled my way through every word (and not just because my husband loves German culture so much that he convinced himself he was, only to find out that, sadly, he is not....but I am! 😂). Poor ole Wally just wants more recognition, but it seems he may have gotten the wrong kind of recognition this time... But I give him credit for trying (German is a hard language)! You de...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:46 Dec 21, 2022

Thanks, Anne Marie! This was definitely a silly story :) Though I suppose for Wally, pretty stressful. You can fake it till you make it, unless you can't. Often when I dig into a new language, I'll get to a point where it feels like I'm getting it. I'll see the grammar is like X, and the pronunciation is like Y, and there's shared vocabulary with Z. I'll even manage to make some sense out of a short article and hours of work. Then I'll hear a native speak say something and *whoosh*, back to square one :) Definitely glad the water thing w...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:12 Dec 22, 2022

Whew, good for you for diving into more languages! That requires so much dedication and patience. I thought I sensed The Office vibes here, I was totally picturing Gabe or Dwight trying to pull this off. I don't know if Michael would have it in him... 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
05:38 Dec 21, 2022

Michal, I was counting on you to pick this prompt; you picked, delivered and HOW! Fabelhaft!!( Well, I just googled it, hope it means what I wanted to convey 😂) The lines that made me laugh out loud were, 1." Anything to get out of work.” 2." See?” said Wally. “Woe is Ingrid. Bitter woe. Nothing but chaos, that one.” 3. He channeled the feeling of once being a passenger in a Volkswagen. And the entire paragraph beginning with - his energy rivaled the sun. There's a bit of Wally in most of us, wanting to be the most appreciated even if we a...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:48 Dec 21, 2022

Thanks :D Yeah, you got it - when the desire for accolades exceeds what we're capable of, and even blinds us, we can get into trouble. It's a great opportunity for learning, but only if we're open to that. There's something ugly about pitting employees against each other too. Seems counterproductive. It was fun to write. Someone defending an undeserved reputation seemed like a natural fit. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katy B
03:38 Dec 21, 2022

Such a genuinely funny, stressful, and tight piece. The beginning and the end are both perfect. My favorite line: "She’s at the hospital giving birth.” “Anything to get out of work.” TOO good!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:50 Dec 21, 2022

Stressful indeed :) I'm sure a lot of people have over-committed before, and then panicked when faced with something beyond them or having to back down. I know I have - though thankfully never quite this spectacularly. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:08 Jan 05, 2023

Hi Michal! Oh my gosh, this story made me smile. I once had a boss who we planned a baby shower for. It was done secretly over several months to make sure it was utterly perfect and we all split the cost of gifts-only for his partner to go into labor the day of the shower. I loved these characters and I loved the way Wally thought about his brief high school education in German. I loved the way you mastered this dialogue and made fun of the corporate office. Nice job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:56 Jan 05, 2023

Heh, babies are menaces - they have no respect for the plans other people make :) I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I was smiling while writing it too. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
02:59 Jan 03, 2023

This is great! Very funny and well written. I enjoyed reading it. The bit about Wally thinking of all German he knew and the unity or togetherness or geometry was hilarious.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:54 Jan 03, 2023

Thanks, Kate! It was fun to write :) Very glad to hear it was funny!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
06:03 Dec 29, 2022

I can't believe I missed this one this week! Holy cow, this is one of the funniest stories I've seen in my entire time on Reedsy! I could not stop laughing. (No pressure or anything, but you're now my winner pick for the week - absolute best of luck on Friday!) I love how sitcom-ish this is. Which isn't unusual for your comedy writing, but damn, you really do it well. I've heard that the secret to a good funny short story is to take normal, everyday character and throw them into wacky situations. And that's exactly what we have here, cranke...

Reply

Michał Przywara
17:13 Dec 29, 2022

Thanks, Zack! I appreciate it :) Yeah, lots of people highlighted that line, and incidentally I liked it too. Sometimes I wonder if stories exist solely to create a place for specific lines to exist. Best of luck to you too! We're prompt buddies this week, and we had the same basic premise - translator at work screws up a major deal, and his job - but I love how different the stories turned out. It's always cool to see the different places that people take prompts :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marilyn Filewood
22:28 Dec 28, 2022

Du bist sehr lustig Michael! Loved the bitter woe

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:22 Dec 29, 2022

Thanks, Marilyn! Having studied a number of languages in my life, it astounds me how often "false friends" have tripped me up. It can lead to some funny mistranslations :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
18:33 Dec 28, 2022

Michal, this was laugh out loud funny, and not impossible; it could happen! Good heavens, of all languages to try to fudge. I'm not the only one who finds Germans fertile ground for hilarity. I work with interpreters every day and I toyed with the idea of tackling this prompt and just found it too daunting for me, so I especially admire what you've executed so, so well. Enjoying your stories more and more!

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:19 Dec 28, 2022

Thanks, Susan :) I've always liked languages, and I think there's definitely fertile ground for stories about/including multilingualism. Given how easy it is to misspeak as a learner, much of that fertile ground is perfect for comedy :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
17:18 Dec 28, 2022

Was für eine tolle Geschichte!

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:41 Dec 28, 2022

Danke schön, Marty :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karin Cavanagh
06:07 Dec 27, 2022

Oh my gosh! You had me laughing so hard! This was so funny! I could see it all so clearly, you described it beautifully. I have a little high school german left in my memory and your play on the German-English verbiage was perfect. Beautifully written and thank you for making my day!

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:51 Dec 27, 2022

Thanks, Karin! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) It's always nice to hear when a story gets a laugh.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raey Kubiak
04:41 Dec 27, 2022

Anything to get out of work… Togetherness or geometry?? 😁 I relate and support Wally all the way! Brilliant and funny, well done!

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:19 Dec 27, 2022

Thanks, Raey! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) It was a fun one to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:03 Dec 27, 2022

Fun slapstick comedy, and a surprise ending. And you def have more german vocabulary than i have! Off viederson!

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:08 Dec 27, 2022

Thanks, Scott :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
02:56 Dec 27, 2022

This was just great the whole way through, I loved every line but especially him trying to speak German by channelling being in a Volkswagon- haha! I have realized with short stories is it is actually really fun to read an unlikable character, maybe because you are only with them for a short time. I love how petty and mean spirited Wally is about his pregnant colleague, and seeing him flounder around once he has gotten himself in over his head was so entertaining I kept hoping he would pull it off. Great take on the prompt, I thought this wa...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:13 Dec 27, 2022

Thanks, Kelsey! Yeah, I think you're onto something. Despicable people are digestible in smaller portions. Though I suppose in longer works, there'd be much more room for character growth.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
19:39 Dec 26, 2022

Wally reminded me of a character from Office Space. The German speaking lady is crisp. Good resolve. Clapping. (Congratulations on recom).

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:50 Dec 27, 2022

Thanks, Tommy! Love me some Office Space. Heard a nasty rumour once they almost didn't make it. What an ugly world that would have been.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.