160 comments

General

“I hate you. I hate you so much,” I scowled at her, looking directly into her eyes. She taught me not to believe the words of other people if they were afraid to meet your eyes. She said it meant they were lying. I lied.

When she grabbed those car keys, I should have stopped her. If I had known what would have happened, I would have stopped her but, who knows anything? We think we do, and then we realize we don’t know. Not even close.

If only there was a way to go back in time, to prevent me from shouting those words. If only there was a way to prevent the sky from raining down on us so heavily. If only there was a way to unflip the car, to prevent her head from smashing against the windshield so many times. If there was a way to bring her back, I’d do anything.

That was the day I stopped believing in magic. Because she was here one minute and gone the next. She died on impact as her car flipped over and over. It felt like magic. It was the magic that changed my life and not in a good way.

I rid my head of all the thoughts that keep coming back. I have to get out of this place.

I let out a breath. Only five more days to go.

I throw my clothes into my suitcase, forcing it to close. It was moments like this that made me thankful that I had such few possessions. I had packed up my life into this suitcase. Everything would probably have fit if I folded the clothes. I still didn’t. 

I’d say the thing I’m best at is running away. I run from everything but, you can’t run from your problems forever.

Emory University is my idea of a fresh start. I had been planning my escape for months now because it’s always easier to run. Mum wouldn’t be proud of me for leaving like this, so I was glad she wasn’t here to see it. But then again, I wouldn’t be leaving in such a rush if she were alive. She’s not. I killed her.

The only person in my family that could stand to look at me was grandma, but she’d be disappointed if I left without sorting things out. She told me all the time, “Stop being a coward. You can’t run forever.”

I had to apologize; I knew that, but it was easier to apologize for something that wasn’t your fault. This was my fault. This was my fault, and I was scared I’d apologize and it wouldn’t fix anything. I was scared that it was already too late.

…….

“Melissa! Come downstairs now!” Mum had screamed. It didn’t matter that the walls were so thin I could hear her when she spoke normally. She never stopped screaming.

 We stopped getting along at least three months ago when I started adapting to my new features. Suddenly, everything was too short. Everything was inappropriate.

She was driving me mad. I never asked for new clothes because she wouldn’t get them. She made that clear a long time ago. Dad wouldn’t either. I thought we were on the same side for so long, but he never went against mum. She wouldn’t let me get new clothes yet, it upset her I was ‘modifying’ them. I was growing up, and she wasn’t letting me.

I hadn’t bothered satisfying her with an answer, I just showed up at the bottom of the stairs. My eyes daring. I dared her to comment on this outfit now.

She counted to three. I knew her so well, I could picture her doing it in her head. She always counted to three. It was how I knew she was on the verge of exploding.

“Go upstairs and change now, Melissa. There’s no way you’re leaving this house showing that hideous thing you got tattooed across your torso.”

"Go upstairs and change now, Melissa," I mimicked her in my head.

"Or what?" I felt like asking. What was so wrong with the crop top I was wearing now? There was no hideous thing splayed across my torso, only a barely visible tattoo I had gotten above my belly button last week that said, 'carpe diem.' Last week when she forced me to attend Eliana’s award ceremony.

I hated that she told me what to do. She thought Eliana was better than me because she was her daughter. I wasn’t. I was the daughter of a man who remarried many years after his wife died, my mom.

It was always Eliana this, Eliana that, and then dad started saying it too. “Don’t wear that. Eliana hasn’t started filling out in places like that. You’ll make her feel self-conscious.”

Everyone was always so worried about Eliana. As childish as it sounded, I needed someone to worry about me too. I needed someone to tell me I was beautiful.

……

Eliana and I had always been close. Her mum was my mum and my dad was her dad. We were both seventeen then, but she was five months older than I was. We did everything together. People always mistook us for fraternal twins because we were so alike but, we looked nothing alike besides the fact that we were the same height.

We wrote too. Everything seemed like fiction. It wasn’t. At least to an extent, it wasn’t. The main characters in the stories were always us. We would write how we felt and read it to no one else but each other, pretending we didn’t know the people in the stories.

The last thing she read to me wasn’t fiction. I couldn’t pretend like it was because she used our names. She looked right into my eyes as she said those words, the same words I said to her mom last week. 

“I hate you. I hate you so much, Melissa.”

When she said those words, I felt my heart constrict in my chest.

“You don’t mean that,” I whispered.

“You’re right. I don’t, but I wish I did.”

Somehow that made it worse.

 A year passed. A very long year of me avoiding my problems. It was my dream to go to Emory University. It was ours once upon a time, until it wasn’t. She never applied there because she gave up on her dreams. She did because her mum died. She never wrote after what she wrote to me. I killed that part of her along with her mum.

Maybe that was the reason I didn't cry when she died. I didn’t think I deserved to. Because everything the four of us did before she died paled in comparison to the last thing I had said to her, or maybe it was because my grief felt insignificant compared to theirs.

I need to get out of here. The memories are choking me.

“Even if you go, you’ll never be free of it. Your ghosts will haunt you until you set yourself free,” my grandma’s voice reminded me. I couldn’t get her out of my head.

The whispers and everything drove me mad. I only heard her speak to me in my dreams, more like nightmares, but today she was working with my grandma to drive me mad. Their voices had blended and grandma wasn’t on my side anymore. No one was. I used the palm of my hands to block either side of my head, to block them out. It wasn’t working. I was screaming suddenly. It was tearing me apart.

The tears came then, and somehow they were worse than the whispers, than the pounding. I hadn’t cried in over a year. “Please go away. I can’t take it,” I whispered.

“Make things right!” she screamed.

“I can’t,” I whispered, the tears coming in full force now.

“Why?” she echoed.

“Because they won’t forgive me. I remember little of my mum, but I hadn’t ever seen my dad as happy as he was with you. And then I ruined everything. He fell in love again, and then I took you from him. I'm a monster and yet, he never stops looking at me like I'm his world. It isn’t fair.”

I think about how hard it must have been sharing her because sometimes it was hard to share dad too. Every night she’d braid mine and Eliana’s hair, and in the summer, she'd put flowers in it. She stopped doing it two years ago. I never realized how much I still needed it.

She was my mum too, not biologically, but it felt like it. Last year she said something to me, she said, “You’re strong, you’ll be okay,” she hadn’t said it smiling, she’d said it like she was afraid. She was wrong. I’m not strong. Thinking about it made me realize it was bigger than I originally thought. She cared about me and I was being a brat. She was trying to be a mother.

We never agreed on anything after that.

I know she cared. I know both of them did, but they never paid attention. Eliana was the prodigy. Her write-ups were going somewhere. Then she stopped and if dad noticed, he never said so.

I should have been there for both of them, but I wasn’t.

I knew what I wanted. I wanted to grab dad and Eliana’s hands and run back in time, but I couldn’t.

“Make things right,” grandma whispered.

I sighed. She was right. They both were. I had to make things right. I hoped it wasn't too late.

I picked up a pen and some paper, my hands shaking. My essay for Emory was the last time I had written.

Once upon a time, she was the only one I wrote for. Now, I was writing a story I knew so well yet, the words wouldn’t come. I suppressed them for so long, and now they were changing. I knew what I wanted to write, and I had to make things right for both of them. We should have grieved as a family. I should have understood. I should have been there for both of them.

It’s a quote I can never forget because Eliana started everything with it. She said she’d stop when she found the right words. I told her I’d use it when I found the right words.

I wasn’t sure what the right words were, but I thought these were it. They were true. They were a reflection of everything we had been, everything we could try to be.

The first thing I write: “One day, I’ll find the right words and they will be simple,”- Jack Kerouac

The second thing: I’m sorry.

The third: I should have been there when you needed me.

The last: I love you so much.

It’s not everything it should be, but it’s a start. It feels like an enormous weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I slip to the ground, clutching the paper tightly to my chest. As I look around my empty room, the room I’ll be leaving in five days, I feel it.

I feel the magic, so I make a wish because I don’t know if the feeling will disappear and I’m not taking my chances. I wish harder than I’ve ever wished for anything.


August 06, 2020 16:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

160 comments

Doubra Akika
16:12 Aug 06, 2020

I saw the quote I used in someone's bio and I really liked it so I wrote it down. Can't quite remember who it was though.

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:48 Aug 06, 2020

I've seen multiple bios with that quote, so I don't blame you for forgetting, Wonderful story! It was very emotional. I loved it. Great job, seriously!

Reply

Doubra Akika
18:53 Aug 06, 2020

Thank you so much😁. Your comment means a lot!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:53 Aug 06, 2020

Any time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
13:47 Aug 07, 2020

Very stunning story! You transitioned from mom to stepmom perfectly! Awesome! Score: 4.86 out of 5

Reply

Doubra Akika
14:07 Aug 07, 2020

I’m glad you noticed. Wanted to make sure that bit fit properly🤣. Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

Reply

Akshat .
14:11 Aug 07, 2020

Always happy to help! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

It was really emotional and sad. You're good with that in a story :) “'Melissa! Come downstairs now!' mum had screamed." Here, it should capitalize the word "mum" because it doesn't specifically say "my mum." That's all! Nice work, again!

Reply

Doubra Akika
08:45 Aug 07, 2020

Oh okay, thank you so much! I’ll make the change.

Reply

My pleasure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Skylar Rose
02:11 Aug 13, 2020

This is was such an emotional story! It was beautifully written, I loved every bit of it. Wonderful job!! Keep writing -Skylar Rose

Reply

Doubra Akika
07:01 Aug 13, 2020

Thanks so much for reading 😊. Your comment means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:56 Aug 12, 2020

Sometimes when I get over excited I can't express my feelings exactly how i want them It's either under or over So don't get offended Doubra If i can't say this the way you would want, or better Simply put, this was magnificent, Now let me calm down and handle my supernova. - Chimamaka

Reply

Doubra Akika
00:08 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you so much! Your comment made my day. I'm so happy you liked it.

Reply

12:09 Aug 13, 2020

You're welcome ( :

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gift Wogu
02:24 Aug 12, 2020

You write so well. My Uncle made me read this and I'm glad I did. It tugs at the heartstrings. I hope you win.

Reply

Doubra Akika
10:17 Aug 12, 2020

Thank you so much 😁. Your comment made my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jocelyn Campbell
22:07 Aug 11, 2020

This story has so many layers and depth. It speaks to all the underlying issues of the journey and leaves the reader with opportunities to think about other “what if” outcomes. I really like your writing style and the actual story. Well done!

Reply

Doubra Akika
22:55 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you so much! I'm happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
19:14 Aug 11, 2020

Oh my gosh - the poor narrator. I want to send her off to a therapist right away. What a powerfully emotional story. She, and her pain, are so real to me. You drew me in throughout the entire story, but the opening really had me. You are an incredible writer!

Reply

Doubra Akika
20:42 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you so much😁. Your comment means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rose CG
19:16 Aug 09, 2020

Hi Doubra, This is a heartfelt story with many levels of the human condition being played out. I like how in the end she is learning to understand herself and perhaps forgive herself. It seems in life we often take the blame for things that we have no control over.~Rose P.S. The word "splayed" seems off, Do you mean "displayed?" Sorry if I'm wrong.

Reply

Doubra Akika
19:37 Aug 09, 2020

Yeah. That's what I was going for, so I'm happy you liked it. It is also possible that the use of the word splayed is wrong. I couldn't think of the right word to use but displayed seems to work very well. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and comment. It means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Natalie M.
18:49 Aug 09, 2020

Hey there! I am so glad that you asked me to read your story, because it was very well done and also super moving. When I scrolled down before reading it to see how long it was, the whole story seemed short. As I got to reading it, the story felt longer, but in a good way. It also felt like there was some emotion and heart behind it, which I always appreciate in a story. Great job, I'm looking forward to your future stories!

Reply

Doubra Akika
18:58 Aug 09, 2020

Thank you so much for reading. Your comment meant a lot! I look forward to your stories as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chizaram Osondu
10:17 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you for commenting on my story. I love this story, it is super interesting and you caught me from the beginning and made me want to continue reading and I don't regret it one bit.

Reply

Doubra Akika
11:47 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you so much 😊. I’m really happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Naomie K
03:42 Aug 13, 2020

Very deep! You are a good storyteller Doubra. I was sucked in till the end!

Reply

Doubra Akika
07:02 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you so much😁.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rawiya Scarlet
13:09 Aug 12, 2020

Wow, this story is go amazing wow. I love it. I really connected with Melissa and her grief and guilt. Wow this was really amazing.

Reply

Doubra Akika
13:15 Aug 12, 2020

Thank you so much 😁. I’m happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Barn Loser
02:10 Aug 12, 2020

I love the quote you used- so inspiring. It was clear that you edited your work thoroughly and cleanly. Good job :)

Reply

Doubra Akika
10:16 Aug 12, 2020

Thank you so much😁. I tried to edit it as best I could.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:33 Aug 10, 2020

Awesome and classical

Reply

Doubra Akika
00:24 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
04:04 Aug 10, 2020

It's a wonderful story! From mom you went to stepmom. That's really good.

Reply

Doubra Akika
07:04 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you so much. I’m happy the transition was okay.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
22:11 Aug 09, 2020

This was heartfelt and creative. I loved it. Great job!

Reply

Doubra Akika
22:14 Aug 09, 2020

Thank you so much! I'm happy you did.

Reply

Avery G.
22:15 Aug 09, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:14 Aug 25, 2020

Hi Dobra What an amazing job you did writing this story. It was so eloquently written and you were so articulate and able to tell a captivating story. I am so proud of how smart and creative you are. As an avid reader of novels, I love your story and enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work and continue writing great stories. Aunty Liz Adigwe

Reply

Doubra Akika
07:06 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you so much🥰!!! I’m really happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Okey Umeano
05:12 Aug 17, 2020

Good story. Well written too.

Reply

Doubra Akika
12:53 Aug 17, 2020

thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elaina Goodnough
22:56 Aug 12, 2020

Wonderful story filled with sadness, regret, and SO much emotion! Thank you, Doubra!

Reply

Doubra Akika
00:09 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you so much for reading! Your comment means a lot.

Reply

Elaina Goodnough
04:00 Aug 13, 2020

Of course! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.