22 comments

Fantasy Drama

Lost. Confused. Scared. Discombobulated. Yes, especially discombobulated. I think. If discombobulated means I'm freaking out that Arrow will be like Jack, then I'm extremely discombobulated. Why did that two-legged pirate invade my world? I was fine before he showed. Happy even. Now?


I tried sewing to give myself something else to think about, but after stabbing myself three times, I gave it up. Thinking of Jack was similar to my needle. Both caused stabbing pain. I remember the first stab - a slap across my face. It was mild compared to the later stabs. A few of those are still with me – scars reminding me of his abuse.


I shook the memory of the louse from my mind and left the sewing room. I might as well get some work done. It was late, but my office was only a short walk from my house. I grabbed my coat and stepped outside.


I love the smell of a chilly night. It invigorates me. I passed men, dwarfs, and stumpers all huddling around campfires. There was something magical about Jorton at night: watch towers aglow, houses lit by candlelight, street torches illuminating the roads. How is it possible this town didn't even exist a few years ago?


I was almost to the Town Hall when Oakaford, the Captain of the Stumper Guard, approached me.


"A fine night for a walk," he said.


"It is. The stars are brighter on cold nights. Everything feels crisp and clean."


"I suppose. I don't feel the changing of the seasons, but I remember my leaves falling around this time. It made me feel lighter, and I liked it."


"I love how you see life so different."


"Do I? I suppose." He gave me a funny look. "I might not see the air as crisp and clean as you do, but I see love in it. Don't you agree? Huh?"


"Not you, too. Why is everyone hinting about love?"


Oakaford shook his head, "Because of Captain Arrow, of course."


"We're only dating. I am nowhere close to love, and honestly, I don't wish to discuss the matter further."


Oakaford took a step back. "Yes, my Lady," he bowed. "I suppose I owe you an apology for prying." He sounded sincere, but his eyes showed otherwise. They were laughing.


I entered my office and reviewed contingency plans against an invasion by the shadow elves and their trunkers, which reminded me that there are much more significant concerns than Arrow.


After an hour, sleep finally found me. I could no longer keep my eyes open. I put out the candles and headed back home. Passing Ye Old Guard pub, I noticed a suave gentleman leaning against a torchlight pole. Only one man in Jorton has this much suave - Captain Arrow.


"Still up? My Lady," he bowed with his carefree manner.


"No, I'm sound asleep in bed. You are hallucinating," I giggled. Why do I always giggle around him?


"Normally, hallucinating would concern me, but I like this one."


His eyes danced in the torchlight. Why does he have to be so darn dashing? A dark thought hit me. Jack was dashing when we first met.


Arrow saw my face change. "What happened? Did I say something wrong?"


"Do you know what people are saying about us?"


"It's possible. I hear lots of things."


"That we are in love?"


He looked at me for a moment before answering as if trying to feel which way the wind was blowing.


"Shocking. Why would they say such a thing? I mean, of course, it's untrue. Correct?"


"Of course, it's correct. Why? Don't you think so?"


"Of course, I was just clarifying that we are both on the same scroll."


I squared my shoulders, "We are…," my voice faltered before I found it again. "On the same scroll, that is."


"Yes, yes. We are on the same scroll," he repeated before wishing me a good night.


I found sleep had abandoned me once I finally made it to bed. Our conversation circled in my mind. Was there disappointment on Arrow's face? Does he love me? Do I love him? These two questions stole hours of sleep from me before I eventually gave it up and conked out.


A divine smell coming from the kitchen woke me. My mom is the best cook in town, in my opinion—especially her loaded scrambled eggs. Dad and I sat at the table as patiently as possible, but it proved near impossible with such heavenly smells wafting our way.


"So, I heard you took a late-night stroll to Town Hall. Did you have trouble sleeping, or was it the shadow elves?" Dad asked.


"Both," I said.


Mom placed our plates on the table and sat. She looked at me too long. She was using her magic to feel my emotions.


"Stop it. You know I don't like you doing that." I laughed to deflect her suspicions. If she knew I was thinking of Jack again, I'd get an ear full of advice and an armload of concern. Neither appeals to me.


Mom twisted in her chair before replying. "You might as well come out with it. I don't need magic to see you're thinking of him again."


My dad sat up, his protective nature gearing up to save me again. "Not him again."


"It's the stress of impending war. I'm sure that's it." I was hoping they would buy it.


They didn't. They both gave me a knowing look.


"I've heard rumors of budding love in our little town. Have you heard the same?" Mom knew how to cut through the crap.


"And why would I care about such gossip? A duchess doesn't stoop to that level."


"Oh, look at Nimmo, Hon," Mom said, looking at Dad. "Now she wants to be called a duchess—all high and mighty." She laughed, "Get off your high horse, Sweetie. It won't work with us."


"Fine!" Why do I even try with these two? My emotions began to rise, and I blurted out, "What if Arrow turns out to be like Jack!"


No one said a word. The silence was deafening. After a few minutes, Mom said, "Do you really believe Arrow could be like Jack? Or is it possible Jack is still beating you by making you afraid to love?"


Could Mom be right? Am I allowing Jack to beat me? Even while he rots in prison? Is this why I'm afraid of Arrow? Because Jack broke me? I saw love and concern in my parents' eyes and remembered they were the reason I was safe. They were the ones who tried to warn me. They were the ones who found me after I ran off with Jack. I should know by now that they got my back. If they believe Arrow is good, then he is.


"When did you get so wise? I don't remember you being wise when I was younger," we all chuckled. "I don't know if it's love, but I won't allow Jack to continue to beat me. For now, Arrow and I are dating. If you hear any more gossip about budding love, tell them to tend to their own fires and leave mine alone."


That night, I was trying to start a campfire. It could have been more cooperative. Smoke curled into the air, but no flame appeared. A familiar voice asked if he could be of service. Without even looking, I knew it was Arrow. I thanked him but told him I needed to start this fire alone. He nodded and said he understood but hoped there would be a fire he could assist with someday.


I looked into his eyes. He knew what I meant. I smiled inside and said, "Perhaps."

July 19, 2024 03:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Daniel Rogers
03:09 Jul 21, 2024

I'm trying something - bloopers. Let me know if it gives a laugh. (correct) "It's the stress of impending war. I'm sure that's it." I was hoping they would buy it. Lady Nimmo: "It's the stress of impotent war." Director: "Cut!" Lady Nimmo: "It's the stress of impartial war." Wait a minute. Is that right? Director: Shakes head Lady Nimmo: "It's the stress of (she pauses, searching for the word) "Wait. I know it. It's right there." She laughs. "Sorry, I don't know what my problem is with that word." Director: Leaves to use the restroom.

Reply

McKade Kerr
00:31 Jul 23, 2024

😂😂😂 I love it! Please do more bloopers on future stories! 😂

Reply

Daniel Rogers
03:04 Jul 23, 2024

Will do. It was a lot of fun. 😁👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Thane Sweet
18:17 Jul 25, 2024

Love all of your characters! Arrow seems like a good guy, but I'd like to have a pint (or two) with him at Ye Old Guard pub to be sure.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:05 Jul 25, 2024

Thank you, I'd join 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cidney Mayes
20:29 Jul 24, 2024

I really enjoyed this! I liked your world-building, and your characters were engaging.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
03:08 Jul 25, 2024

Thank you, it means a lot coming from a fantasy writer 😀👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
00:34 Jul 23, 2024

Great story, as always. I’m excited to continue to see where Lady Nimmo and Arrow’s relationship goes! Also, it’s nice to learn that Jack is in jail, haha, it sounds like he deserves it.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
03:09 Jul 23, 2024

Thank you, and Jack definitely deserves jail 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Scott
22:45 Jul 20, 2024

Love the humorous tone in contrast to the more serious subject! A great idea!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:53 Jul 21, 2024

Thank you. I use humor the same way in real life. My wife hates it 😂

Reply

Heather Rogers
13:58 Jul 21, 2024

Yes, yes she does! 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:28 Jul 20, 2024

Another Lady Nimmo story. Very realistic about her indecision. People can be in a quandary when they meet another, after a bad relationship. I don't believe Arrow can ever be like Jack. Hope they get together.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:55 Jul 21, 2024

Thank you. I agree, Arrow could never be like Jack. After all, he is a two-legged pirate, and everyone knows they are nicer than one-legged pirates. 🤣

Reply

09:38 Jul 21, 2024

As well as being nicer, he's a leg ahead!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:34 Jul 22, 2024

🤣😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:00 Jul 19, 2024

Love is in the air. Thanks for liking my lost elephant.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:51 Jul 20, 2024

Well, definitely apprehension about love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
20:53 Jul 19, 2024

Lady Nimmo is heading to right decision. Well done.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:53 Jul 20, 2024

Thank you. Yes, she is pointed in the right direction. But will she take the leap? Dun Dun Duuuun. 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:02 Jul 20, 2024

Look forward to where Lady Nimmo and Arrow's relationship goes. Hope he doesn't turn out to be like Jack. :)

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:56 Jul 21, 2024

Me too 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.