How to Kill Someone after You're Dead

Submitted into Contest #192 in response to: Write about someone stuck in an endless cycle who finally manages to break free.... view prompt

58 comments

Science Fiction Inspirational Contemporary

I didn’t know my murderer, and he didn’t know me.

Carl Bronson was his name. He killed me with a 2021 Ford Mustang. The man was drunk and ran a red light, going at a speed not meant for city streets.

The impact was terrific. I felt intense pain and I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t. All I could do was groan weakly and suffer; fortunately, the pain quickly dissipated. A sort of dull euphoria overtook me, a washing away of pain, replaced by a tiredness and sleepiness that felt soothing and natural.

And then…permanent oblivion. Or so I thought.

*********************

The city park was awash in spring sunlight and bright green growth. Birds chirped excitedly from their treetop perches, squirrels ran amuck along with little kids and untrained dogs. Penelope Lanier watched all of this with fascination and dread. She knew she was dead, but she didn’t feel dead.

“May I have a seat?”

An old man looked at Penelope quizzically, his bespectacled face and thin goatee at odds with the casual dress sported by the denizens of the park. He wore a suit that appeared to be several centuries old, and his walking cane reminded Penelope of a character from old British movies.

She assented with a nod of her head and promptly ignored the old man. She had other things to think about, and none of the thoughts were comfortable.

“Cyrus Campion, at your service.”

Penelope eyed the man with mild approbation before going back to ignoring him and concentrating on her own woes. Mainly, she wondered why she was here after being dead for…she checked her phone…five days.

“That is, I am here to help you navigate your new life,” the old man said. He cleared his throat and looked at Penelope with kind eyes and an impassive expression.

Penelope looked at the old man sharply, suspicion etched in her features. Cyrus smiled and nodded. He had been through this scenario dozens of times.

“I know. Bit of a shock, I imagine. Takes time to acclimate oneself to the situation. Unfortunately, we don’t have a lot of time. One week, to be precise.”

“Uh…wha…”

Cyrus held up a hand. Penelope stopped talking. The old man scared her and intrigued her.

“You’re dead, not to put too fine a point on it. You know that, of course.” Cyrus stood up, beckoning Penelope to follow. “Walk with me.”

Penelope walked with him, mystified by what was transpiring but seemingly unable to resist the old man’s commands.

Cyrus took a very direct route to their first destination. To wit: he walked through trees, buildings, cars, and people along the way. Penelope tried to do the same and found that she could do the same thing. She didn’t know how to feel about that, so she reserved her emotions for later.

Cyrus opened a door to a house in an exclusive part of town. Nice, Penelope thought, looking around. He handed the keys to Penelope; she had no idea what to do with them, so she laid them on a nearby table. Cyrus clucked at her and indicated that she should put them in her purse.

“This is your new home, at least temporarily. It can be your permanent home if you do as you’re asked to do.”

Penelope had questions.

“I have some questions, old man.”

The answers amazed her.

*********************

I watched everything. The police coming to deal with the wreck. The coroner. The autopsy. Being buried.

The only person I knew who attended my funeral was my aunt Iona. My uncle and cousins couldn’t be bothered, I guess.

It makes you think. A life can be judged by the people at the funeral. I had no one except my aunt, and I think she went because she felt it was a duty. That’s not to say that she didn’t care for me. I think she did. After mom and dad died, she would call me up every so often to see how I was doing. I hate to say it, but I always rushed her off the phone. I had better things to do than to talk to an aunt.

Drinking. I did a lot of that. When I look back on my life, I see that I didn’t do much with it. I didn’t care for school. I just wanted to have fun, so I did. Then I had to get a job after I graduated, and that sucked. I didn’t have any skills, so I became a waitress. Twenty-five years later and I was still a waitress.

Wow. Nothing really changed. I went to work. I came home and drank. I went to bed. Lather, rinse, repeat. I am just now realizing how terrible my life was. I wish I had someone to blame except myself. Maybe I can blame Cyrus.

*********************

“Look in the mirror,” Cyrus commanded, but it didn’t feel like a command to Penelope. Nice trick, she thought.

She looked in the mirror. She inspected herself carefully and thoughtfully before turning to Cyrus and asking him what the hell was going on.

“What the hell is going on?”

Cyrus sat down and propped his cane against the arm of the sofa. He leaned back and sighed a little before beginning. This was the part he didn’t like. Explaining. They always had an issue with what was happening.

“Yes, you are now blonde. Blondes have more fun, you know,” Cyrus chuckled at his own joke. Penelope was not amused.

“And you are quite young again,” Cyrus continued, “not to mention fit, and devoid of any craving for alcohol. So far, I’d venture to say that you are coming out quite well in this deal.”

Penelope thought so too, but she wasn’t about to let Cyrus know that. She was still having trouble reconciling what was currently happening to her with her death. As far as she knew, people didn’t just come back to life after they died. They stayed in the ground and decomposed. God would eventually judge them for their sins and then they would be sent to the hot place or the wonderful place.

“Explain what I’m doing here. No, scratch that. Explain why I’m even here. Alive. Walking around with an old man who dresses like Mr. Darcy.”

“Look at your bank accounts. It’s on the computer screen. Your password is PennyLane77!”

Penelope looked at the figure at the bottom and stopped breathing.

“Breathe!”

Penelope breathed. She turned to Cyrus, speechless.

“Yes. High seven figures. Take my advice and put the money in municipal bonds and money market accounts. You can live comfortably off the interest. The house is paid for, by the way.”

“Um…”

“Look in the garage,” Cyrus said, standing and leading her to the garage.

A gleaming Mercedes-Benz and an equally gleaming Jeep Wrangler reposed quietly in the space, shining modestly amid the lawn hoses and empty flower pots.

“Paid for as well. In fact, everything is paid for.”

“I still don’t…”

“Of course you don’t. I haven’t told you yet. We had better sit down before I divulge the rest of the story.”

Penelope looked at Cyrus with an unwavering gaze.

“I’m not gonna like it, am I?”

Cyrus handed Penelope a handgun and sat down. Penelope fell into a chair, holding the gun like it might bite her.

“No, my dear. You will not like it at all.”

*********************

Despite the horrible task Cyrus set for me, I recognize this for what it is. A second chance – as long as I’m willing to pay the price. I don’t know if I am, though.

Being young and rich is very nice. I’d rather have black hair, but I don’t think Cyrus is the kind of guy you can negotiate with. If he’s even a guy. I mean, is he an angel, maybe? I want to ask him, but there’s too much stuff in my head already.

I don’t even know how to shoot a gun. Aim and squeeze, Cyrus says. Big help, old man.

*********************

“His name is Harrison Chandler. He’s an accountant with a small firm near downtown. He cheats on his wife and ignores his kids as much as possible. Likes to play golf on weekends. Drinks cheap beer and watches about twenty hours of sports programming a week.”

Penelope nodded absently. Her mind was in a whirl.

“So, you want me to kill this man because he…what…cheats on his wife?”

“No.”

“Ignores his kids?”

“No.”

“Drinks cheap beer?”

“No.”

Penelope nodded at Cyrus before exploding in anger.

“What the hell, Cyrus! Don’t keep on saying ‘no’ to all my questions! Tell me!”

Cyrus got up and made himself a drink. He offered to make one for Penelope but she declined. Good for her, Cyrus thought.

“Because next week he’ll have a fender bender. Harrison will roll through a stop sign and run into Estelle Richardson’s car.”

“Ok. Death to all fender bender culprits, then.”

“No. I have more to say.”

Penelope scoffed at Cyrus and sat down. Nothing hurts. I feel great!

“Estelle will then miss her book club meeting.”

“Tragic.”

“Yes, it would be. She has a unique insight into Maria Bandera’s manuscript. An insight that will make the novel a best seller.”

“Really? So this is all about someone’s success?”

“Not yet. Let me continue without interruption, young lady.”

“Quit pausing so long.”

“I pause the appropriate amount of time.”

“No you don’t. I feel like I need to check your pulse when you pause.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

The afternoon sun washed the living area in muted light, giving the area an aura of quiet splendor. The richness of the carpet and the quality of the furniture could be seen and admired, and Penelope duly admired it all. Even the cat looked expensive.

“I have a cat!”

“Yes. You love cats, so we provided you with a cat of high quality. A top-of-the-feline product, you might say,” Cyrus snickered.

“Your puns are terrible,” Penelope retorted.

“All puns are terrible,” Cyrus said.

Penelope agreed silently. Her glare, however, was giving nothing away.

“Ok. Continue on with your story. So this Maria woman is writing a book…”

“Has already written it, in fact, but it lacks a certain something. Estelle could provide this certain something.”

“Still, why does he have to die?”

“Maria,” Cyrus continued, ignoring the question, “if successful, would meet a man at a book signing. Conner Blaylock. They would get married and have three kids: two boys and a girl. The girl’s name would be Esperanza Maria Blaylock. She would go on to become the wife of a preacher. Norbert Green.”

“My head can’t keep up with all this, Cy.”

“My name is Cyrus, not Cy. Have the goodness to address me by my full Christian name.”

“You’re a Christian.”

“Beside the point.”

“Is it?”

“I will continue, despite your blathering.”

“Hey!”

“Norbert and Esperanza would have two children. The eldest, a girl, would eventually create a vaccine that would effectively protect more than 99% of the human population from all viruses in the future.”

“Ah!”

“As you say. Ah.”

Penelope got up and opened a bottle of soda. She sipped it pensively, gazing at Cyrus the entire time. He retrieved his cane and sat up, placing both hands on top of the cane and leaning forward slightly. He looks like he’s waiting for a bingo number to be called.

“But still.”

Cyrus looked at Penelope severely, shaking his head and pursing his lips.

“There is no debate, Penelope. Estelle must, I say must, meet with her book club.

Penelope was lost in thought. Everything that she knew about life and the cessation of life had been upended.

“If you fail in your task, someone else will develop the vaccine.”

“So, not all that important then, what you want me to do.”

Cyrus turned slightly to face Penelope.

“The vaccine would be developed eleven years later, and over six billion people will have died.”

“Oh.”

The two people sat in silence. Sounds from outside died down. The sun had dropped below the horizon and dusk had settled in. Penelope’s cat sat on her lap, purring gently and waiting to be fed.

“I have a question, old man.”

“Cyrus.”

“Cyrus. How did you die? I mean, you used to be like me, right? Some sort of loser.”

Cyrus shifted uncomfortably on the sofa. He sighed and then spoke, his voice taking on a different timber.

“I was…well…a bit of a lad.”

Penelope looked at him with a quizzical frown.

“What?”

“I liked the ladies. A little too much, you see.”

“No. I don’t see. Explain it to me like I know nothing about you, which I don’t.”

Penelope leaned forward and waited. The cat jumped down and went in search of sustenance.

“I frequented the brothels of London. Nineteenth century London. Unfortunately, I contracted syphilis. Horrible disease. The last three months of my life were agonizing, to say the least.”

“Ah! So you screwed prostitutes. That’s kind of funny, actually.”

“Yes, very amusing.” Cyrus stood up and walked to the bar to get another drink.

“You will kill Harrison, young lady, before he has the chance to ruin humanity. If not, well…”

Cyrus left the sentence unfinished. He had learned that the threat of hell was stronger than anything else he could say.

“Then I go to hell. No parting gifts in purgatory. Just straight into the fire. That it?”

Cyrus looked at her and nodded. That wasn’t what would happen at all, but he didn’t want her to know that. A little nod, a little lie, and six billion people would not suffer the consequences of a major pandemic.

Penelope sighed and picked up the gun. She pointed it at a painting on the wall and pulled the trigger. She spun and pointed it at Cyrus.

“Do I get bullets for this thing?”

*********************

I didn’t kill him. But I did shoot out all four tires of his car. Harrison called an Uber and went to work. I paid a visit to Mrs. Chandler, detailing the steamy nights Chandler and I spent together. A small lie that readjusted things in her favor.

I wrote her a check for $25,000 to get her started on a new life. Harrison came home to emptiness.

I returned to my own home, awaiting my fate. My cat curled up in my lap and went to sleep. I don’t think he concerned himself with the bigger issues of humanity. I can’t say that I blame him for this attitude. People suck.

Maybe it’s all for the best. I don’t deserve all this money. This new, youthful me. I’ll miss the cat, though.

*********************

“I spoke to the council,” Cyrus said. He had fixed himself a drink and sat on the sofa, just as he did the first time he was in Penelope’s house. He wore the same suit. Penelope thought it smelled of peppermint and dust.

“And?” Penelope was nervous. A prisoner awaiting sentencing couldn’t be more anxious.

“Your actions were highly irregular, but you did what was needed, technically.”

“And?”

“You get the house, the money, the second chance at life.”

Penelope squealed and hugged Cyrus. He cleared his throat and muttered something about personal space before standing up and exiting the house.

“You won’t see me again, Penny Lane. I advise you to do something with your life.”

“Like you did, right? I mean, you were a dog, but now you work to help others.”

Cyrus looked at Penelope and smiled. He liked this girl, and his sins were committed so long ago. Wild nights in the brothels had to be paid for with more than money.

Cyrus turned away and began walking towards the park where they first met.

“Wait! I…uh…I have a favor to ask, Cyrus.”

Cyrus turned to her, leaning on his cane with both hands.

Penelope whispered something in his ear. He leaned back, surprised and thoughtful. After a few seconds, he reluctantly nodded.

“That would be highly irregular.”

“Please?”

Cyrus wiped his glasses with a pocket handkerchief and shook his head.

“I’ll speak to the council.”

*********************

Carl Bronson was released from prison seven years later. He reclaimed his 2021 Ford Mustang and drove away, looking for a bar. He hadn’t had a drink in ages, and he felt the need to get very drunk.

Penelope Lanier was waiting for him when he exited the bar. She put a bullet in his brain, dropped the gun beside him, and walked off. She returned home to the certainty of feline company.

Cyrus was in Cairo when he heard the news. He nodded approvingly before returning to reading the latest best-seller by Maria Bandera.

April 07, 2023 09:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

58 comments

Viga Boland
02:19 Apr 14, 2023

Is it possible for a story to be too clever? I’m trying to decide if this went over my head or if I’m just overtired from reading so many stories on Reedsy, or… See, given you prefer critiques to direct praise, I’m now reluctant to heap more praise on you for another great story. Sigh… 🤔 Loved Cyrus. Pitied Penelope. Hope I never have the dubious pleasure of meeting either in my next life. Good thing I stopped believin in Heaven as a child. As for hell? Been there already and amazingly, survived.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:13 Apr 14, 2023

Thank you, Viga, for the kind words. I appreciate your insights and comments, good or bad. I liked Cyrus as well. Old school charm and a stickler for observing the proprieties. I also liked Penelope because she didn't want to kill a man, and she found a way to let the world do what it does without killing him. Perhaps she's the new breed of afterlife angel/director. Again, thank you, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
03:47 Apr 13, 2023

Interesting story, a good read.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
08:43 Apr 13, 2023

Thank you, John. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bridger Smith
01:02 Apr 13, 2023

This is a great plot. Really enjoyed the read. I was waiting to see the chain of connections from Penelope’s target, Harrison, to connect with her killer so that by doing her task she was saving her own life. But I like that it didnt happen. It gave her an opportunity to do a good thing for others rather than just for herself and she ended up getting her revenge anyways. Once again, I enjoyed the read. There were a couple spots where the writing disengaged me: “She looked in the mirror. She inspected herself carefully and thoughtfully befor...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
08:34 Apr 13, 2023

Thank you very much, Bridger. I appreciate the kind comments, and especially appreciate the critique. You are absolutely correct; the repetition takes away from the tale. I'm pleased that you found merit in the story, and I promise (pinky swear?) to avoid such repetitions in the future. LOL Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
19:08 Apr 12, 2023

I love the way your narrative flows, with twists and turns and unexpected insights. I kept saying "Oh, aha, yes," and then "Wait" and then "Aha" again. Very enjoyable read. Bravo, Delbert!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
21:17 Apr 12, 2023

Thank you very much, Kathryn. I appreciate the praise and the analysis. It pleases me that you enjoyed it; I write to please readers! Cheers, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
17:10 Apr 12, 2023

This is one hell of a clever revenge story Del. The plot flips liek a fish but your hand is always firmly there ready to reel it in and get it going where it should. There was a real sense of historical scope in this story, from Cyrus's sorry backstory on the dirty streets of London to the brighter future with the vaccine. I enjoyed strapping myself in tight for the time-travel ride!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
21:16 Apr 12, 2023

Thank you for the praise, Rebecca. Yes, time-travel stories can be tricky, so I tried to keep it tight and focused, especially with only 3k words to work with. The plot does flip, as you say, but the main theme of ultimate revenge is there at the end. I appreciate your analysis, my friend. It's always worth reading. Cheers!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:23 Apr 13, 2023

Flip not flop: as in a fish swimming strong with the current! Don't want you to think I was being critical, this was swimming all the way!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
08:44 Apr 13, 2023

I understood what you meant, my friend. Criticism is always welcome, though. Trust me, your meaning was clear, and if I could still blush, I would. Cheers, Rebecca.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rita Kimak
21:12 Apr 10, 2023

You are very good at story telling!! This is my first time out of the gate!! Cheers to YOU! You’re great at the mix of narrative and conversation - not an easy feat! Especially when it is taking place in the “after life “!!! 👍

Reply

Delbert Griffith
23:00 Apr 10, 2023

Thank you very much, Rita. I appreciate the praise, and I look forward to your tales on Reedsy. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tara Malia
17:59 Apr 10, 2023

I loved how the story came full circle. Connections are key, and you do a beautiful job with making them!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
18:04 Apr 10, 2023

Thank you very much, Tara. I appreciate the praise. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:28 Apr 09, 2023

Maybe Penny killed her killer to keep him from killing someone else with his 2021 weapon. Had a person like that kill my seventeen year-old sister.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
00:09 Apr 10, 2023

Damn! I'm sorry to hear that, Mary. Yes, would that Penny could right all wrongs from drunk drivers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:19 Apr 09, 2023

This is a very enjoyable read, and I like the way you made a rather complicated story (at least for me) easy to follow. One of my favorite bits: "He wore the same suit. Penelope thought it smelled of peppermint and dust."

Reply

Delbert Griffith
08:26 Apr 09, 2023

I'm glad you liked this story, Patricia. It was a fun write, and I wanted to explore the concept of random acts, and if they are as random as we think they are. Perhaps our lives aren't as ordered as we might like to think, right? Cheers, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
08:26 Apr 09, 2023

I'm glad you liked this story, Patricia. It was a fun write, and I wanted to explore the concept of random acts, and if they are as random as we think they are. Perhaps our lives aren't as ordered as we might like to think, right? Cheers, my friend.

Reply

15:44 Apr 09, 2023

I don't believe in random or coincidence - to me, there is a message there that we need to pay attention to. xo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Tabisch Aliem
22:32 Apr 08, 2023

Penelope killed Carl Bronson after she came back to life with her second chance at it, right? Then I read a comment below saying the victim didn't have to worry about killing the killer because he, the killer was already dead. I didn't catch that reading the story. Wait...does that mean everyone on Earth is already dead in the story? ...oh, shh..

Reply

Delbert Griffith
00:36 Apr 09, 2023

No, Bronson was in prison for killing Penelope. When he got out, he got drunk, and then Penelope, in her new life, killed him. She was approved by the Council. So, there it is. A sweet revenge story that wasn't the main point. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it, Tabisch. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
00:37 Apr 09, 2023

No, Bronson was in prison. Penelope killed him after he got out of prison. Hope you enjoyed the story, Tabisch.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Susan Catucci
12:58 Apr 08, 2023

SO DANG GOOD! The title alone had me so I was happy to drop everything and devour this. Penelope had so much on her plate, yet remained clever enough to look out for herself in unchartered territory. Cyrus was the perfect guide/foil in this and there's your shining gift again with making relationships zing! The premise works, everything works. Thanks for letting the cat stay. :)

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:52 Apr 08, 2023

LOL Yes, the cat had to stay. That was non-negotiable. Thank you for the kind words and the assist. My tales are all the better for your suggestions and tweaks, my friend. I value you so much, Susan. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
08:51 Apr 08, 2023

Another great story Del. It was carefully unrolled so that it held my interest. I thought it had a good twisty-turney plot so never quite sure where it was going. I enjoyed - so thanks for writing. Stevie

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:15 Apr 08, 2023

Thank you very much, Stevie. It was a fun write, and intended to be a light, enjoyable read, so - mission accomplished. LOL Conceptual stories about coming back from the dead are always fun to write, but tricky. One has to make sure all the pieces fit. Again, thank you, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
02:29 Apr 08, 2023

Very enjoyable. I like her creative resolution to the problem, and considering the circumstances - she's dead and a supernatural being is offering her another shot - the simple solution is to just follow orders. Actually, it reminds me a bit of negotiations with clients. Often they'll have an idea of how they want work done, but it's not necessarily the best approach. When we know *what* they want and *why*, we might find a better way of reaching it. "A top-of-the-feline" :D I am a little surprised she'd go to kill Bronson, given how much...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:07 Apr 08, 2023

Thanks, Michal. It means a lot to me that you enjoy my tales. This one was just a fun write without too much depth, but I wanted to work on my dialogue. Having an old man from another era speaking with a modern person was a challenge, but I feel like I need to improve my skills with different types of characters. Also, I kind of wanted o get the idea across that random events may not always be random. Killing Bronson was a last-minute addition. I wanted to have a satisfying revenge ending, but also show that the MC is still dealing with he...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darya Silman
17:44 Apr 07, 2023

Can we write critical reviews or only positive ones? I liked the idea very much, especially in such a short format: I feel that if it were longer, like a novella or a novel, the idea would be too full of holes to be intriguing. Like angels pushing or approving of people killing people. But I also felt something was missing, Maybe, it's me reading a lot of horrors lately, where the atmosphere is everything. Here, it's a bare plot twist after plot twist after plot twist to keep the reader's attention. The twist with a syphilis was pleasantly u...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
17:53 Apr 07, 2023

IMO, critiques are always more welcome than straight praise. I agree with your analysis: what I have works in such a format, but it would have to be radically altered to work as a novella or a novel. The whole idea here is one of concept: are events truly random, or are we guided by a greater power? I'm glad you liked the story, and I welcome any comments you care to make on my tales. That would be great, in fact! Cheers from Texas, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
16:09 Apr 07, 2023

Del, great premise of a victim killing the killer and not being worried about getting caught since the killer is already dead. The intrigue is fantastic. Cyrus is a miserable coot. But knows when he has been beat or at least met his match. Penelope haven proved herself gets "a second chance" and everything that goes with it. Well done. The ending was pretty good establishing that Cyrus is flourishing in another part of the world on his own. LF6.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
16:16 Apr 07, 2023

Thanks so much for the praise of my little tale, Lily. It was fun to write. The premise came out of the idea that not everything we do is determined by our actions. A deeper meaning may lie behind what we consider random events. At any rate, it was enjoyable to contemplate and plan. Again, thank you for the nice review. You're a good friend, LF6! Cheers from Texas.

Reply

Lily Finch
17:55 Apr 07, 2023

Texas writer friend of mine. As always my pleasure. LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:19 Apr 07, 2023

What a concept and ending! I am imagining she can’t be condemned for killing her killer… she’s already legally dead. A fun read with some great lines of dialogue “Not yet. Let me continue without interruption, young lady.” “Quit pausing so long.” “I pause the appropriate amount of time.” “No you don’t. I feel like I need to check your pulse when you pause.” Gold! Haha

Reply

Delbert Griffith
11:43 Apr 07, 2023

Thanks so much for the praise, Michelle. It means a lot to me that such an excellent writer like you enjoys my tales. I'm pleased that you liked the concept and the ending. I debated with myself about how to end the story. I'm never sure if the endings work. Ah, the life of a writer, yes? LOL Again, thank you, my friend. I look forward to more tales from you. I am always assured of quality writing. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zatoichi Mifune
15:00 Jun 06, 2023

Niiiiiced. See, I enjoyed this story so much it's pushed me out of the English language! Seriously, I'm not sure if I have anything bad to say about this. I'm not an experienced writer so my feedback probably wouldn't be very good anyway so I'll just stick to saying that I really, and I mean really, enjoyed this story.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:16 Jun 06, 2023

LOL Thanks, Zatoichi. Yeah, that English language can be a real problem at times! Any comments are welcome, Z. You know, experienced readers always have something to offer. Don't be afraid to throw your hat in the ring and leave your thoughts on stories you read. Real writers appreciate all comments, whether they agree with them or not. Again, thank you, my friend. Now...get busy writing! Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:33 Apr 26, 2023

Story kept me entertained throughout Love the ending. Good touch about the bestseller, although clearly avoiding the deaths of millions from a pandemic was the bigger picture here. Pleased to see you added a cat with a somewhat nonchalant attitude to life. That’s how it should be. Puts us humans nicely in our place 🐈‍⬛

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:03 Apr 26, 2023

Thank you very much, Helen. I appreciate the praise and the insights. Yes, the pandemic was the big picture. And, yes, we needed a cat to give us a little perspective on life. Humans don't really matter to animals. Again, thank you. Cheers, my friend.

Reply

Helen A Smith
10:42 Apr 26, 2023

Hi Delbert I love animals dearly, but in general, I think food might be the bigger picture. Cats have an aloofness as if they don’t really need us 😂

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:46 Apr 26, 2023

Truth. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
21:08 Apr 24, 2023

Hey Delbert, Oh a life after death story! You know, I think one of the reasons I picked Catholicism is for the comfort in the knowledge I will never have to do this whole life thing again. It may seem enticing, and I’m certain I’ll feel there’s more to be done, but I still can’t imagine living through it all again. Still, amusing to think a second chance wouldn’t come free of charge. I think I’d just walk away. This was a great take on the prompt and I thought that the italics were a bit confusing at times. It’s certainly a tale that deser...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
11:21 Apr 25, 2023

Thank you, Amanda for the praise and especially for the critique. I'll make it a point to go through the tale and work on those parts with italics. This was just a fun take on what life after death might be, in the imaginations of those who like to dream of such things. I'm a Christian as well, so I have different beliefs. Although, given the chance, I WOULD re-live my life and try to make it better for me, and for all those around me. I have to agree with you that living another life seems daunting. Again, thank you, my friend. Your ins...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
02:33 Apr 12, 2023

Hey there, Delbert - Okay, I think you wrote two this week, didn’t you? I thought the opening para was the situation with Cyrus was very intriguing and imaginative. Grin - the first thing that jumps out at me how terrible that password is; two elements of entropy, but they’re repeating - 77 - with a dictionary attack against two concatenated words - with a predictable guess for the exclamation - I mean, a microcomputer could solve that in four minutes. Gracious, that’s awful. I digress. I think the idea of a Quantum Leap/time management...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:01 Apr 12, 2023

Yes, quirk is the key, my friend. The afterlife, like life, is riddled with bureaucracy and ineptitude. Think organized religion. Cyrus is the personification of the Peter Principle, and Penelope is the fly in the ointment. This volatile mix leads to some odd insights, you see. Penelope's revenge killing of Bronson is justified by stopping him from killing other innocents, as habitual drunk drivers are want to do. And, it's satisfying to see a killer get his/her just deserts, don't you think? Congrats on the shortlist. :)

Reply

Russell Mickler
13:10 Apr 12, 2023

Grin - thanks! and you too, man :) Well! Hopefully we'll see more of Penelope's adventures soon :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.