34 comments

Black Coming of Age Funny

It was a long time before anyone spoke, but the boy knew almost immediately that he had made a mistake.

“What kind of a question is that?” His father, halfway through his rice pilaf and roasted vegetables, was frozen with anger. He shook his dreadlocks at the boy and seemed to be on the edge of breakdown. “Who would ask such a thing over dinner?”

Sympathy was not forthcoming from his mother, a woman much younger and calmer than his dad, but still tight with her annoyance. “Oh, darling, you can’t pose such a question while we are eating. It just isn’t right.” She attempted to spoon more chick peas onto her plate and stopped for her tears.

“You see, now? You see what you do to your mother with such nonsense. Apologize!”

“Stop yourself.” His grandmother, always a reliable one in his corner, quietly admonished her son with a gentle slap on his arm. “You were no different at that age. Always asking the big questions when people just wanted to get on with other things. You think that your son is going to be any different? You think you have a chance with him?” She somehow managed to smile at both generations of her family at the same time, showing her perfect teeth and perfected wrinkles developed over a long life of laughter and forgiveness.

“But still…” His uncle was a different matter. It was very difficult to get a read on the man when he came over for these weekly meals. If he was really hungry, everyone tried to get on his good side and not mention his ex-wife (he wished Ms. Clara was here with him; she always carried toffees and jokes). If he was in a good mood – a rare and possibly extinct animal – he would not mind anything that happened as he passed from the living room in through the kitchen and out to their patio. But the boy had heard the older man’s stomach growling as they all walked in. He was on his second bowl of broth and second plate of plantain slices. This would not be an easy time for any of them. “…The boy needs to know about time and place.”

“Yes, time and place… This is neither one nor the other.”

“But it is a fair question, dear. I always wondered about it myself.” His mother continued to eat, slightly elbowed into it by his grandmother. “Why would anyone set up a line like that? Makes no sense.”

“But it’s a classic. No one ever asked that question before.”

“Then you should be proud you have a son asking questions no one thought to ask. He’s got a bigger brain than most.” His grandma had the most perfect smile for him.

“Silliness is all it is. These kids asking about things that no one care about. Maybe he should worry about other things instead of a work of art that no one questions.” His uncle said all of this with a mouthful of plantain. This actually impressed the boy.

“I don’t see what was so wrong about the question. It’s a fair one, right?”

“Would you just stop? You have already vexed me as I try to eat.”

“Dad…you mean to tell me you never thought of it before? No one at this table ever had a question about it?”

Another long and awkward silence followed.

“Y’know,” his mother said, as she stood up, took out a lighter, and lit some incense waiting in its holder by a painting, “I was once young, too. Had a lot of silly questions about life and things and I never got a real answer on any of them. My parents were not the most talkative or friendly people. But I always respected them.” She waved away the growing flame until it was just a plume of blue smoke. “And I always respected him.” She was staring up at the portrait.

They all looked up at it and then bowed.

Except the boy.

“You see, this is the problem. I ask a simple question and every time I try to get an answer, you do this. You try and turn it into something like church.”

He was really going too far and his father knew it.

“I am giving you a chance to take that back.” He held his fork in a very tight grip now.

“Dad, no. No apologies. Not for this. Not until you at least try to answer the question.”

They were all beginning to hate these silences. You could hear the traffic outside, the ticking of a clock in the hallway, and the noise of the neighbours upstairs (like they were running buffalo, his father once said).

“Oh, my dear. Maybe we should think about this after dinner.”

You had to hand it to grandma, he thought. She was such a smooth negotiator. Was that the reason why her marriages were pleasant thoughts for all her children? Here was another question for another day.

“Yes, yes…” His uncle moved on to more rice and peas. “We came here to eat and not debate what should be obvious.”

“Obvious?” He really did not understand what the man was saying. It was not an uncommon feeling to the boy.

“It was a set up, right? Someone else took on the other one. He took on the one who was coming hard on him like he was a criminal. So, that’s why the line is that way. Smart, if you have brains to think about it.” He smiled and looked at the portrait. “Very clever, that man.”

They all agreed on something at least. And they were also happy that the people upstairs had no access to the patio. It was a beautiful evening for it.

Dinner went by smoothly after that, although he did have to apologize and clear the dishes after the meal.

He went to bed that night and thought about his questions. His dreadlocks were wrapped up with help from his grandmother and his parents actually seemed proud of him for thinking for himself finally. It was something that they really had never considered themselves. But he would write it down in his journal for today’s entry (just in case he forgot it):

“If he shot the sheriff, but did not shoot the deputy, then someone else must have been involved.”

Maybe his uncle was right.

Smart…

September 15, 2022 01:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Michał Przywara
17:41 Sep 17, 2022

Ha! Awesome :) The opening to this is fantastic, a really good setup for "what are they talking about?" It very naturally gets us reading more to find out. The family dynamics and discussion came across well too. Every family has their own rituals and habits, and of course it'll be the young folk who question things. And wise grandmother is there to smooth things out. Thanks for sharing this fun story :)

Reply

Kendall Defoe
04:55 Sep 18, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
17:41 Jan 12, 2023

This story is brilliant. The writing draws you in and the mysterious topic keeps you reading. All of the characters have distinct personalities that come through around the family table. And that ending!!! Love love love it. My one criticism of the story is now I have that earworm and not sure when it will stop 🤣

Reply

Kendall Defoe
18:22 Mar 15, 2023

Me, too... And if I'm guilty, I will pay...🎶

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
23:15 Oct 11, 2022

:) Thinking about "the line".

Reply

Kendall Defoe
05:42 Oct 12, 2022

The lyrics?

Reply

Tommy Goround
12:47 Oct 12, 2022

“Why would anyone set up a line like that? Makes no sense.” crap. I just got it. Line of the song, not line in the picture. Well, the story reminded me of a German lady that had to keep a picture of Hitler in her basement. (Judy cooked excellent potatoes but said her father was kidnapped to become an SS Officer) Yes, I am doubting Judy on that point. But she used to say ...or suggest... That there was a very strong reason her family _might_ have kept that portrait in their basement after the war. Like they were suspended in disbelief that...

Reply

Kendall Defoe
15:38 Oct 12, 2022

Amazing story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
06:25 Sep 21, 2022

I like the passion and the way something so ridiculous can cause an argument between family. Smart uncle. It’s only logical.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
12:22 Sep 21, 2022

Thanks. I have heard weirder things around the dinner table...believe me... 🇯🇲 🇩🇲

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jennifer Bowers
02:36 Sep 21, 2022

Congrats on an amazing story. I love the line “you have to turn it into something like church.” Very realistic!

Reply

Kendall Defoe
12:24 Sep 21, 2022

It's the kind of language I heard as a child. Seemed right here. 🇯🇲

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:03 Sep 20, 2022

Beautiful story. Please read my story https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/jejf01/

Reply

Kendall Defoe
19:43 Sep 20, 2022

Many thanks for that. I did leave comments on your piece (you did not need to leave a link - you only have one story on your page) ;)

Reply

19:55 Dec 27, 2022

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
17:46 Sep 20, 2022

Hahaha, I enjoyed this. The whole time I was wondering what the question was and I was not disappointed. I loved how you conveyed the family dynamics especially since it’s harder to do in a short story. Great job!

Reply

Kendall Defoe
19:38 Sep 20, 2022

Thank you. Always had questions about that song... 🇯🇲

Reply

Kate Winchester
21:20 Sep 20, 2022

You’re welcome 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:24 Sep 18, 2022

You really had me wanting to find out what this off putting question was. I loved your clever use of the song title and the mystery you left us with. Who in the family was involved, and what actually happened?

Reply

Kendall Defoe
22:04 Sep 19, 2022

Glad you liked it! 👍🏽 🇯🇲

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M B
19:56 Sep 16, 2022

Nice work on this, I spent the whole story wondering just what he asked and what line he was talking about. Great reference to a classic song.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
21:55 Sep 16, 2022

Yeah, it is, isn't it? 🎸

Reply

M B
23:51 Sep 16, 2022

You like Bob Marley's original version best, or Eric Clapton's cover?

Reply

Kendall Defoe
01:54 Sep 17, 2022

Original version, but I am grateful Slowhand covered it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
17:51 Sep 16, 2022

Great job at humour in this one, Kendall. Loved it! LF6

Reply

Kendall Defoe
18:08 Sep 16, 2022

Thank you (the prompt and the song really brought it out of me). 🇯🇲

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Craig Westmore
15:21 Sep 16, 2022

Good mystery, Kendall! You had me thinking all sorts of possibilities: sex, religion, family scandal. The dreadlocks were a good clue.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
16:04 Sep 16, 2022

Tried to add more humour this week...Glad you caught these things. 🇯🇲

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
T.S.A. Maiven
05:40 Sep 16, 2022

I enjoyed reading this. Good story!

Reply

Kendall Defoe
16:04 Sep 16, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
15:58 Oct 30, 2023

Brilliant!

Reply

Kendall Defoe
00:04 Nov 05, 2023

Thank you! This did receive a lot of praise at the time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julius Juryit
11:52 Sep 22, 2022

Are you looking for someone that can make you a millionaire by playing all types of lottery games. if yes contact this man call Dr Ayoola for help. I was financially down I was not able to pay my bills because all the money I have I use it to play lotto . But I love playing games because I believe in it and can also change my life if I win. I have been playing this lottery for so many years without winning one day I saw someone talking about this man call Dr Ayoola how he help her to win lottery by giving her the right number I was amazed a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marlene Minna
20:00 Sep 20, 2022

I’m so glad and I don’t know where to start from I was so brake and same time I was already old to work. All my retired money was gone because of the LOTTO MAX. and I have been playing LOTTO MAX for so many years and other games like lottery Powerball, MEGA MILLIONS and JACKPOT as well. I have never won good money to change my life and I keep believing and having faith that one day I will win. I was going through my Facebook when I get a man Sharing how DR AYOOLA help him and his wife became a millionaire with a short period of time I was...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.