The End of a Legacy (The Chadwick Saga - Part 3)

Submitted into Contest #68 in response to: Start your story with someone admitting a secret and end it with someone telling a lie.... view prompt

11 comments

Drama Crime Suspense

A few months later...


The intruder entered the Manor through the kitchens. He might as well have been invisible as no one paid him any attention. They were busy scurrying about getting things ready for the dinner later that evening. He knew exactly what to do.


The young Master had instructed him on how to proceed. He was to stay hidden in one of the unused rooms upstairs until midnight and spring into action. 


He wouldn't dare mess this up, the Master had made it clear what would happen to him if he did. He had to get this right.


He quietly ascended the staircase thankful that the family was away and won't be back until late in the afternoon. He only hoped that he wouldn’t run into any of the maids upstairs.


The Master had planned everything, right down to the acquirement of his footmen’s livery that he now wore which made it easier to blend in making him look like one of the staff. He managed to reach the room undetected, took out the key he had been given, unlocked the door and went inside.


       ..........................


Marcus was pleased that things were going smoothly. He had chosen the perfect time to put the next phase of his plan into action and he had chosen the perfect man for the job. The entire household will be busy with the preparations for the dinner his brother is hosting to celebrate their wedding anniversary this evening.


He instructed his man to creep into the Manor via the kitchens as the staff will be busy with their work. While the happy couple along with their son was away at a luncheon given by Miss. Gertrude “busybody" Pearson at her residence to commemorate the blessed event.


         .........................


Sarah went to bed that night in a state of bliss. The dinner had been a success. She wanted everything to be perfect for her husband. He had been in a melancholy mood ever since his father's death, which is why she wanted things to go as smoothly as possible. 


The kitchen staff outdid themselves again. They had prepared a feast fit for a king. All evening Frank had been in good spirits, chatting and joking with all the guests, and she had her best friend to thank for that. She got Gertrude to invite them over for luncheon so that she could make him take his mind off of things by engaging him in mindless chatter and a bit of town gossip, and it worked like a charm. 


She missed her father-in-law too, but Frank had been obsessing too much about it lately that it started to worry her. It was Gertrude who came up with the idea of Frank hosting a dinner to celebrate their anniversary.


He didn't like it at first, but Gertrude with her exuberant charm and witty self helped him make his mind up.

Frank enjoyed himself this evening. She hadn't seen him this happy in months, she thought to herself, glancing toward her now snoring husband with a smile.


         .........................


They were woken up in the middle of the night by a loud banging on the bedroom door. Frank got out of bed and ran to open it, only to find Jamie's nanny in a state of shock crying hysterically, “Master...Jamie...is...missing...he is...not...in...his...crib!” she managed to utter in between sobs which made Frank freeze in terror while Sarah ran toward the nursery only to realise what the nanny was saying is true.

She let out a scream falling to the ground crying uncontrollably.


Frank ran to wake up Marcus, he banged on his door loudly, which was answered abruptly by his brother who looked angry for being so rudely woken up. “What the hell is all this commotion about?” he growled. Frank merely replied saying, “Jamie is missing."


         .......................


They searched for Jamie until sunrise. He was nowhere to be found. 


The Sergeant questioned a very distraught Miss. Quinn, the nanny to find out what exactly happened. She told him that she had woken up in the middle of the night wanting to use the lavatory. She was gone from the nursery only for a few minutes. When she came back Master Jamie was gone. 


Then he questioned Mr Simmons, the head butler, as to whether all the staff is accounted for. The butler replied curtly, “Yes, of course," I did the headcount myself." 


Then he turned to Frank, and asked “Mr Chadwick, do you have any idea who might have done this?” Frank's reply was a terse, “No.”


He lied to the police. Frank knew exactly who was behind this. His brother Marcus. Deep down he knew that Marcus had something to do with his father's death, and he knew without a doubt that he is behind Jamie's disappearance. Even though his brother acted all concerned and helpful right throughout the search, Frank knew that it was an act, it had all been an act right from the start.

His brother had kept his promise after all. His promise of vengeance.


The Sergeant left, informing Frank that he would do everything he can to find Master Jamie. Frank thanked him and went to check on Sarah whom he had left in the care of Gertrude. She had come to comfort her best friend.


She was sleeping. She had been so tired and distraught over the whole ordeal. Frank had summoned the doctor for her. He had given something to calm her down. It broke his heart to see his wife so sad, so helpless. He knew that there was only one thing to do. He’ll have to confront his brother. He had to get to the bottom of this.


He went in search of Marcus and found him in the study sitting behind his father's desk. “So, this is what you came back for isn't it? Your rightful place as the head of the family? You are living up to your promise you made so long ago, aren't you? Big brother!”  


Marcus didn't respond but remained quiet as Frank practically screamed at him. “Tell me where my son is? What have you done with him? You bastard, tell me, or so help me God I will report you to the police!”  


Marcus rose, and came forward from behind the desk and stood just inches away from his brother, grunting and breathing heavily. Frank stood his ground unmoved. 


Marcus looked down at his brother and said, “What makes you think I am responsible for your son's disappearance? Do you have any proof?”


“I don't have to have proof, because I know it's you, you are behind this, it was you who killed papa, not some poacher! I know it,” Frank replied through gritted teeth.


Marcus let out a menacing laugh and said “little brother you are in way over your little head if you think you can throw such accusations at me and report me to the police without evidence, without proof. Go ahead report me, because I guarantee you'll end up a laughing stock if you do.” He continued laughing as he walked out leaving a dumbstruck Frank still standing, in the middle of the study.


         ........................


Marcus needed to act fast, his brother was on to him. He knew exactly what he needed to do next. He had the note, which he got his man to write, all he had to do now is have it delivered. He had snatched the child right from under his brother's nose. His man was keeping him in an abandoned farmhouse in the neighbouring village, awaiting further instructions from him.


        ..........................


Sarah was finally awake. Frank had been by her side ever since he came from the study after his confrontation with Marcus. He told Sarah that he was going to see the Sergeant and find out if there are any leads in the investigation. Sarah only nodded, still feeling a little groggy from the medication. Frank ordered for some supper to be brought up for his wife and headed toward the stables. 


He hated lying to her. He wasn't going to see the Sergeant. He put his hand in his pocket and took out the note which he had received earlier that day. It was a note from a stranger claiming to know the whereabouts of Jamie. He had asked to meet Frank face to face at the cliff. He got the stable boy to saddle his horse and he was on his way.


By the time Frank reached the cliff it was enveloped by a thick fog. He could hardly see what was in front of him. He tied his horse to a nearby tree and slowly made his way to the edge of the cliff. Frank put his hands in his coat pockets to keep them warm as he stood in the cold waiting for the man to show up.


Minutes ticked by as he gazed toward nothing. Suddenly he heard footsteps behind him. As he turned he saw a figure through the fog walking hurriedly toward him. As he approached him he punched Frank in the face knocking him down unconscious. 


After what seemed like a long time, Frank came to, only to find that he was being held by two burly men on either side. He tasted blood on his lips, from the cut inflicted by the brutal punch earlier. He raised his head slowly and saw Marcus standing in front of him, with a satisfied look on his face, who said: “Hello little brother, did you have a good nap?” 


Frank’s head was throbbing with pain, as he replied, “Marcus why are you doing this? Why do you hate me so much? If you wanted control over the business and the estate, all you had to do was ask. I could've given it to you, defying papa's wishes. 


Marcus threw his head back and laughed. “Oh, that is so touching, I am almost in tears”, he sneered. 

“I am not your charity case dear brother, you don't have to give me anything which already belongs to me. it’s mine, mine! I am the heir to my father's fortune!” he yelled stepping closer and grabbing Frank by the hair.


 “You want to know why I hate you? I hate you because you killed my mother. It was your fault. You killed her. She died giving birth to you. You took her away from me. The only person I ever loved. You took her away! I hate you with every fibre of my being. I cursed the day you were born when she died!” Marcus said his eyes welling up with tears.


Frank listened to his brother’s declaration with eyes full of tears, he said “So you decided to take the people I love away from me? Papa and Jamie? He looked at Marcus horror-stricken and continued, “Is Jamie dead? Have you killed him?”


Marcus replied laughing, “Not yet! But they will soon join you. Goodbye, dear brother. We shall not be meeting again, at least not in this life anyway!”

Marcus tipped his hat theatrically with a slight bow, turned and started walking. As he did so, he heard his brother's pleadings for mercy echoing through the air, as his accomplices hurled him over the cliff and sent him to his death.


        .......................


Sarah was seated in a chair near the window looking out into the gardens enveloped by the fog. He will be back, he will be coming for her next, and she will be waiting.


Her mind drifted to the confrontation which occurred earlier today between her husband and Marcus. She had awoken suddenly and had gone in search of Frank.


As she reached the study, she heard raised voices from within. The door to the study was ajar so she was able to hear what was being said clearly. Yes, she had heard every word that had passed between them. She realised now, that she will neither see her son nor her husband alive again.


Something in her husband's manner and tone told her that he was not going to see the Sergeant. She knew who is behind all this now. Just like her husband had known all this time. She had already written a letter to Gertrude explaining everything. After she decided what she's going to do.


         ........................


He had won! He finally had his revenge. Marcus was in a triumphant mood as he rode toward the Manor. He had one final loose end to tie up.


Everything had worked just as he expected. Thanks in part to the sergeant whom he had paid handsomely to cover his tracks. His man will take care of the sergeant later on. “Greedy scoundrel! He would sell his mother for a buck!” he thought to himself as he rode on.


He reached the stables, dismounted Shadow and almost ran inside. He felt a sense of overwhelming relief wash over him as he made his way into the study and poured himself a drink to celebrate. “I will take care of her once I am done with this,” he said to himself looking at the glass. He was almost finished with his drink when he heard a rustling sound behind him. He turned to find Sarah standing there staring at him, eyes full of tears, with her hands clasped behind her back.


“Oh! you little Wench! You are making things easier for me. I was just about to come looking for you, and here you are! Tell me, are you ready to join your dear husband and your precious child?”


Sarah could see Marcus's demeanour changing right before her very eyes as he now stood glaring at her, his eyes filled with, not hate, but contempt and disgust.


He rushed toward her growling, his arms outstretched as though he was going to strangle her. She unclasped her hands bringing them forward in a flash as she pointed the gun straight at him and fired, emptying the bullets into him as she watched him hit the floor with a loud thud.


       ..........................


The fog had almost disappeared when Sarah made her way over to the edge of the cliff, gun in hand. She threw it out into the sea crying uncontrollably.


She called out “I am coming my darlings, I will see you soon!” as she threw herself off of the cliff. She felt herself falling, she could hear the wind howling all around her as she did.


        ...........................


The storm still raged on outside as Sarah was running, running from the shadow that was after her. She still could hear the sounds of her son's cries calling out to her, echoing through the hallway. She needed to get to him, to hold him in her arms, to comfort him, The dark shadow which loomed over her with blazing green eyes, growling like a beast, followed her everywhere. “I will never be rid of him, he will torment me for eternity, I am trapped in this dark place forever, there is no escape for me!”


THE END


November 13, 2020 19:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Akshaya ✨
02:46 Nov 19, 2020

Wow Melissa! That was an unexpected ending! The suspense you brought about with your story was thrilling. I enjoyed all three parts of 'The Chadwick Saga'. The way you describe the turn of events makes it all the more impacting! I noticed a small thing: In the line 'She missed her father-in-law too, but Frank has been obsessing...' the word 'has' can be changed into 'had' as the story primarily goes in past tense. That was just a suggestion, though! Other than that, your story was really interesting and well written.

Reply

Melissa Hassan
03:22 Nov 19, 2020

Thank you, Akshaya, for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed reading it.😊

Reply

Akshaya ✨
03:28 Nov 19, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Saiba Khan
16:24 Nov 24, 2020

hi melissa I am kind of new hear, i love reading and writing but my writing is not that good I kind of feel really stupid even attempting it, can you give ideas how to be good writer how to improve? if you get time please check out my writing and give me feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:26 Nov 24, 2020

Hi Melissa, I really love this story but I'm not really sure if the story actually fits the prompt because no one technically told a secret. I also think that what could have made this story better was if you use I'm instead of I am. I think it would have given the story a better feel.

Reply

Melissa Hassan
12:49 Nov 24, 2020

Thank you for your comments.😊

Reply

17:55 Nov 24, 2020

You're welcome :) Also please got to my story Operation Freedom and like, follow, and comment. Pls

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:07 Nov 19, 2020

Woah!! I didn't expect that ending! Amazing work! I enjoyed reading all three parts of your story!

Reply

Melissa Hassan
04:16 Nov 19, 2020

Thank you, Akshaya, for your comments.😊

Reply

05:04 Nov 19, 2020

My pleasure! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Melissa Hassan
19:04 Nov 13, 2020

The third and final part. I submitted this unsure whether the story suits the prompt. Let me know what you think.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.