Meet Me in The Ocean

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Write a fantasy story about water gods or spirits.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fantasy Romance

“She was a pretty girl. A really kind one. She had long black hair and blue like the sea eyes. I remember that she loved nature and that whenever she had the chance, she would leave the city and go to the countryside. I still remember her beautiful smile and honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person smile like that before. She was Arabella.” He said with a wide smile.

“And where is she now?”

He suddenly looked really serious. He took a deep breath and put a fake smile on.

“Well, she is not here.”

“Is she in the human world?”

“No, she is not there but she also not here. She went for a trip somewhere really far away. But don’t worry. She is really happy. I can guarantee you that. ”

The little kids smiled and stood up. They all left laughing and running and he was left all alone.

“She is really happy…Yeah…” he whispered.

Soan slowly stood up and walked towards the palace. He was tall with blond hair and he had blue eyes. Just like hers. But even though he remembers her eyes and smile being full of happiness, his eyes and smile were full of pain.Soan is a god. He is a water god. He lived with the other gods in the palace. His father -King Benjamin- was the god of the humans. He is the one who helps humans in need and the one who keeps the human world in order. All the sons and daughters of the king have something to contribute in the human world. The king has four sons and two daughters. The first son is Seranian, a fire god. Then there are the twins, Temian and Namiet, gods of nature. Riasi is the youngest daughter, a sky goddess. Pasetia is the goddess of the dead, and Soan is a water god. Just like his mom, Queen Thisetra.

The purpose of the gods is to protect the human world. Humans and gods live in two different words. Gods cannot meet humans and humans cannot meet gods. In the world of the gods, there are three kings and each king has at least five children. Except of the kings, the queens and their children, there are also servants of the gods. Well, the servants aren’t gods, but they have powers. Most of them can recreate anything they touch or they can read other people’s memories. There are gods who prefer to live in the human world because they like it better, but they have to hide their identities. They can live among humans, but no human can ever know that they are gods.

When Soan arrived in front of the palace’s gate, he stood there and took a look around. The palace was huge and was covered with red roses. He walked inside and many servants came and greeted him. Soan didn’t stop and just continued walking silently. The more he walked, the more he realized that the palace was just a huge empty and quiet space. There were so many people inside. Servants, his brothers and sisters and their parents, but still the palace always seemed empty. As he was walking he could hear is own steps echoing in that big room. He walked towards a big wooden door, opened it and went inside. He lied down on his bed and closed his eyes.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Soan hurry up! We’re going to miss the sunset!” she said with a big smile.

Soan ran as fast as he could, trying to catch up with Arabella. They were going up a hill to watch the sunset. When they arrived to the top, a gentle breeze hit their face and Arabella closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Soan stood next to her and just kept staring at her without even blinking. Arabella sat down on the grass and gazed at the sunset with astonishment. Suddenly, she looked at Soan and smiled. And that’s when he knew. At that exact moment, he realized it. Arabella’s smile, her blue eyes, her hair and the sunset behind her. Everything about her was just perfect in his eyes.

------------------------------------------------------------

4 years ago

“Father, can I go? Just for a year or two.”

“No! You are the son of a king! You have to stay here.” said King Benjamin.

“But, many gods live with humans. I just want to know how human life is.”

“That is enough Soan!”

“No! I want for once in my life to decide for myself.”

“Soan, we are gods and we have to stay here and help our father.” said Seranian.

“I promise that I will come back. Just give me some freedom.” continued Soan.

“Soan, you are a god! We are not allowed to go in the human world.” said Pasetia.

“But-”

“Well, it’s true that gods are not allowed to go to the human world. Specially the children of the kings.” said Queen Thisetra.

Everyone in the room looked at her. The whole family was sitting in a room and they were discussing about the human world. None of them was supposed to go to the human world. They were all supposed to stay in the palace. But Soan didn’t want that kind of life. It looked like a prison.

“You know, gods are not allowed to go to the human world to avoid any scandals. We just want to avoid humans knowing our existence. Humans may say that gods exist, but they have a different view of what ‘gods’ actually means. A human seeing our abilities will be shocking for them. But since you really want to go, I think it’s better that you do. It will also be beneficial for your brothers and sisters. They can learn something about humans too. Go to the human world and stay there for two years. After two years, you will come back and stay here in the palace. But just be careful so that humans won’t discover your true identity.” she continued.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Arabella was in her 20s when she met Soan. She was a university student and a good one. She had 2 younger sisters an older brother. Arabella was a caring person. She took care of her sisters, helped her parents and helped out people in need. That day, she was heading to the university. It was quite far from her house, so she had to leave early to be there on time. It was a nice and warm morning. As she was walking, she decided to get some coffee. Arabella went into a coffee shop and ordered. A couple of minutes later, she headed out with a cup of coffee on one hand. And just when she opened the door, she pumped into someone.

“Oh, I’m really sorry!” she said.

“Eh, no problem.” the man replied.

“Are you sure you are ok sir? Did I split coffee on you?” she kindly asked.

The man smiled and said:

“No, no. Everything is fine. Have a good day miss.”

Arabella looked him in the eyes, smiled and replied:

“You too sir.” and then she headed out.

The man was shocked for a moment. He just stood there without doing anything. After about a minute he came to his senses and went to sit down.

When Arabella arrived to the university, she immediately went in her class. She sat down, and waited for the class to start.

“Arabellaaaa” said a girl while waving her hand.

She was standing at the door, with a big smile. She was a short pretty girl with long brown hair and brown eyes. She walked towards Arabella and sat next to her.

“Hi Mia, what happened? You look really happy today.”

“Did you not hear? There is a new professor in our university and apparently he is young and really handsome. And they say that he is single!”

“Ahh Mia you really should stop thinking about things like that and start focusing on other things.” said Arabella.

Suddenly, the door opened and a young man came in. He was tall with blond hair and he had blue eyes. He wearing a black suit and as soon as Arabella saw him, she recognized him. It was the man she pumped into in the coffee shop!

“Good morning. So, I am going to be your new professor. I want you to pay attention to my lectures and not mess around. My name is Soan Thompson.” he said and looked around. And then he saw her. He immediately recognized her. Soan kept looking at her without speaking and she also looked at him.

“Mr. Thompson, can I ask you a question?” said someone.

“Ehh, ah yes. What is it?” he replied.

“How old are you?”

“Oh, I am 29.”

“Aren’t you too young to be a professor?”

“Oh, don’t change the subject. Let’s start.”

------------------------------------------------------------

A year later

She looked at Soan and smiled. And that’s when he knew. At that exact moment, he realized it. Arabella’s smile, her blue eyes, her hair and the sunset behind her. Everything about her was just perfect in his eyes.

“Soan, can I ask you something?”

“Oh, sure, what is it?”

“We’ve been together for almost a year, but you never told me. Where are you from?”

“It’s difficult to explain. I am from somewhere far away. But I can’t tell you exactly where because it is too complicated.”

Arabella and Soan smiled at each other. It was a really sincere smile. And slowly, the sun was setting, and the dark sky with the moon was taking its place.

Soan and Arabella stood up and slowly walked down the hill. They were both really happy, but deep inside, Soan was in pain. It was almost time for him to go back to the gods, back to that huge palace. Back to his prison. He had about a month and the only thing he wanted was Arabella. He wanted to stay with her. But that was impossible. He had to go back.

----------------------------------------------------------

A month later

“Good morning Soan!” said Arabella with a big smile, while waving her hand.

He looked at her and waved back, but he didn’t smile. He just couldn’t. Arabella walked towards him and she hugged him.

“Where do you want to go today? It’s our one year anniversary. You didn’t forget about it, did you?” she said while laughing.

“No, I didn’t.” Soan replied.

“What happened? You look really sad.”

“Never mind, I’m just a little bit sleepy that’s all.”

“Ok…Then where do you want to go today?”

“Let’s go to the beach. Not to swim, let’s just go there. I like the sound of the waves.”

“Ok, then let’s go!”

---------------------------------------------------------

Arabella was running and laughing the whole time. She tried to make a castle out of sand and then she want to sit on top of some rocks. Soan couldn’t stop looking at her. She was just like a five-year-old child running around for absolutely no reason. But he was glad. He was glad that she was happy. He wanted that smile in her eyes to remain.

“Soan! Come sit here.” she said.

Soan walked towards Arabella and sat next to her. They were sitting there, looking at the sea without talking. And then Soan took a deep breath.

“Arabella…We need to talk.” he said in a serious tone.

“What is it?” she replied.

“Well…Remember when you asked me where was I from?”

“Hmmm, yes. Why?”

“The thing is, I have to go back. And I will have to stay there forever. There is something I have to take care of, so I have to go.”

“Well…If you really have to go, you can take me with you.” she said.

“I’m afraid I can’t. You can’t live there. It’s impossible. And I can’t not go. That is also impossible.”

“When will you come back?”

“I can’t come back. I need to stay there.”

Arabella’s smile left. Her face was serious and she could barely look at him.

“So, it’s better if we break up.” continued Noah.

She looked at him. She couldn’t believe it. Arabella stood up and ran away while crying. Soan followed her. She kept crying and running until she was on the road. She slowly walked to the other side. Soan followed her and then he stopped.

“Arabella!!!” he yelled but she didn’t listen.

----------------------------------------------------------

A knock on the door woke him up.

“Soan. Are you inside?” said Seranian.

Soan opened his eyes, and realized that he had been crying. He stood up and looked around. He was in his room.

“Soan. Are you sleeping?”

“Oh, no. Come in.” he said.

Seranian opened the door and headed inside.

“What are you doing here?”

“I was taking a nap and woke up a while ago.”

Seranian sat next to Soan.

“Isn’t today the day? You know… The day the accident happened…”

“Yeah, it is. Do you want to talk about it? It’s been four years already.”

“No. I’m fine. I’ll just go get some fresh air.” Soan said and left the room.

He went to the only place that he loved in this world. Behind the palace there was a big lake and Soan loved to swim there. He jumped into the water, and let it take him. He felt heavy almost as if he was drowning. Soan closed his eyes.

“She must be happy…” he thought.

March 05, 2021 15:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.