51 comments

Creative Nonfiction Sad Inspirational

T.G.I.F. 

Not because it’s the end of my work week. I retired a decade ago.

T.G.I.F.

Not because I’m heading south for a week of surf and sunshine. No chance of that. My only income is old age pension and some pennies I’m paid for reviewing books. 

But T.G.I.F., because that’s the day that Reedsy teases me with 5 new writing prompts and I feel myself coming alive again. No, I’m not kidding. You see, after not writing anything but reviews for 7 years; after being bored stupid during covid and too scared to attend writer meetups; after convincing myself I just didn’t have what it takes to interest anyone in anything I might write anyway, I subscribed to Reedsy prompts.

And now? T.G.I.F. I feel alive again. Stay with me, please. This isn’t going where you think it’s going.

With renewed pep in my step, I head downstairs and dig through a moldy box in the basement. The yellowing notebook pages hold years of scribbles, ideas, poetry, and songs of teenage angst that I wrote a lifetime ago. I’m hopeful there’s some gem in there that didn’t suit any of last week’s prompts.

I peruse abandoned half-finished stories in which the characters occupying space in my head at that particular time stopped talking to me. Maybe, since I feel alive again, I can revitalize them too?

Sneezing from my dust allergies, I almost…but not quite…race back upstairs. I’m still rummaging through rusty memory banks for ideas. Perhaps I’ll find something in the filing cabinet. Here’s one. Can I use that story about our children when they were little? Ah…maybe not. It might be better suited to Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Ooh, what about this one? Does it suit one of the prompts? Yes, but if I choose that prompt, how many other Reedsy writers will use the same one? Does it matter? Not really. Now that I’m writing again, I need to keep writing. I feel alive when I write. I need to stay feeling alive because lately, death has been happening all around me.

In February, on the day he was born 38 years ago, my neighbor’s beloved and blind son, Benjamin, passed away from a brain tumor. I can hardly look at his grieving mom and dad when I speak with them now on my daily walk. Joan has aged 10 years in the past 10 months. Pain fills the creases in her wrinkling skin and her clothes hang like rags on her thin body. She doesn’t want to eat and she can’t afford not to. She’s a decade younger than me but looks a decade older.

How much time do I have left when someone like Benjamin, only 38, is already gone? I mustn’t think about that now. I must keep thinking about being alive, staying alive. 

What was that Bee Gees’ song about staying alive? I think we still have that L.P. in the basement but no turntable to play it on. Doesn’t matter. Like a needle, that “staying alive” refrain is stuck in a groove in my head right now. Let me look at those prompts again…

Perhaps this prompt here will work for another episode of the bickering Banters? Are my Reedsy supporters sick of them yet? Maybe some writers, readers and the judges on here don’t consider my Banter dialogues “stories” as they don’t follow traditional story structure. They could be looking for plots with that anticipated rising action, a few crises on the way up to that whopping climax, followed by a quick denouement. Like I said: traditional…the way I learned to write. The way I spent years teaching others to write stories. Same old, dame old. (No, “dame” isn’t a typo). Now, if you’ve noticed, even I fracture some of the rules of writing if it suits my mood. Like it does right now.

I make my second cup of coffee since breakfast, sit and cogitate. Good word that. But as I cogitate, I remember that I have to drive hubby to the doctor today for a colonoscopy. Poor guy. He looked ragged at bedtime after having to live on only chicken bouillon, unsweetened apple juice, and lemon jello yesterday. On top of that, he had to drink 4 liters of some horrible stuff to clean himself out. Talk about a crappy day. Literally. We joked about it but it wasn’t really funny. His dad passed away from colon cancer at 83. Hubby is 81. I’m scared. So is he.

Nope. Don’t want to think like that today. It’s Friday. Reedsy prompts day. But my hubby has just come downstairs to drink what’s left of that dreadful-tasting purgative. He reads the paper for a bit, rushes to the toilet, then sits down again. Tells me that was number 22. I roll my eyes. He looks ashen. He sighs and puts his head in his hands. I go over, hug him, and kiss his neck. He pats my arm. 

I think of my sister-in-law. She and our family in Australia buried my husband’s younger brother a week ago today. On a Reedsy prompts day. It was impossible to think of writing any story that day. Impossible to think about being, or staying alive because Kip was gone. So suddenly, so unexpectedly. He was a mad keen surfer all his life. He’d had a hip replacement in the past 6 months and heart surgery in the past year. He was 5 years younger than my husband. But he was determined to keep on doing what he loved most, no matter the cost. 

So on that Reedsy prompts day, he and his son, Cory, went for a surf at Currumbin Beach in Queensland at 6 am. During his heart-breaking final tribute to his dad…being in Canada, we had to tune in on Zoom…Cory told the congregation that the waves were breaking beautifully that morning, with perfect winds under a quickly rising sun. It was going to be another gorgeous, hot Aussie day. Except Kip never got to enjoy it. Neither did any of us. Cory had to drag him out of the water after Kip collapsed on a sand bank. But Kip had died doing what he loved. 

Kip shouldn’t have been the first to go. He was the younger brother. Now, I keep picturing my sister-in-law waking up…if she’s even slept yet…without the greatest love of her life beside her. She can’t kiss his neck like I did hubby’s. And Kip’s not there to pat her arm. 

Hubby and I are just on our way back from his colonoscopy. The news is good. They only had to remove a couple of polyps. Now he’s craving a hamburger and chips, so I drive him to Wendy’s. As I mix some sour cream through my chili, I grin as I say to him,

“You mean I get to keep you around for a few more years to inspire more episodes of the Banters?”

“Are you going to keep on writing them?”

“I have to. When my time comes, I want to go like Kip, doing what I love till the last minute of breath.”

T.G.I.F.

March 30, 2023 00:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

51 comments

J. S. Bailey
22:42 Jun 01, 2023

You have impeccable word choice. Everything flows as though I am there, in your head, surfing among your thoughts. I love the concept. As I am sitting here exploring the reedsy prompts world, it was wonderful to see a tale that broke the fourth wall and let me get a view of the authors life, the authors idea of what reedsy prompts is and why it means something to her. Another well-told tale from a well-old dame. (Sorry! That is not a typo.)

Reply

Viga Boland
15:06 Jun 02, 2023

Wonderful that this banter revealed to you another aspect of writing to Reedsy prompts. Sometimes the prompts leave me sitting with a blank look on my face; other times, 2 or more get me going in one week. Such fun! Thanks for the kind words on the word and thought flow. This is my favourite writing style. And thanks for the “follow”. Will do the same and look forward to reading your stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
13:32 Apr 13, 2023

Good morning Viga, This was a charming tale. I loved that it was creative non fiction because I think those stories bear a part of a person’s soul in them. I thought that your story was funny and honest and highly relatable. I also really liked the way that you showed true affection and love in this one. My favorite part was all the humor! “Dame” is not a typo, “number 22”, etc. nice work!!

Reply

Viga Boland
13:50 Apr 13, 2023

Thanks for reading yet another of my pieces Amanda. Glad you enjoyed the humor along with the sadness and love. As for “dame-old”…wish I could say it was inspired, but it actually started as a typo, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought that’s a keeper!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rita Kimak
23:57 Apr 10, 2023

This writing really touched me as I just lost my mom on March 23rd. She was 96 but age doesn’t matter - I miss her very much. My biggest cheerleader! You are right!! We need to keep doing what we love!! Thank you for the encouragement!

Reply

Viga Boland
02:58 Apr 11, 2023

So sorry to hear about your mom. As you say, age doesn’t matter. Moms are forever in their children’s hearts. Thanks for reading what I consider an unusual piece i.e. I had no idea where it was going when I started but I love where it finished. Thanks for the follow. Here’s to more exchanges in the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
11:23 Apr 06, 2023

Wonderful, wonderful, Viga - it had never occurred to me to write about writing. This read is very real, frank and straightforward, life and death, but you shine your light on the things that really matter, doing what you love, feeling empathy for those less fortunate, recognizing your fears without surrendering to them and, most important in life, to live yours to the fullest, having genuine interests and doing what you love. T.G.I.F. As a community of writers, we are never alone or without support - a priceless commodity. So glad we ar...

Reply

Viga Boland
14:16 Apr 06, 2023

Well, in all honesty, it never occurred to me to write about writing, especially on Reedsy, until I found myself doing it. What surprised me even more was what I ended up with and that I actually thought it was good enough to share here 😂 So thanks for that positive feedback Susan. Might try something like this again one day, but maybe not. We never know when and where inspiration will hit us, do we. And yes, a supportive writing community like this is, indeed, priceless.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Glenda Toews
01:27 Apr 05, 2023

Oh Viga what a lovely story! (I'm so glad your husband heard you unlike the last Banter episode ;P ) It's lovely because writing is sharing your mind, and your mind has been filled with a lot of pain and worry. I'm glad you churned it out in this!

Reply

Viga Boland
20:10 Apr 05, 2023

Thanks so much Glenda. I honestly didn’t have a specific route for this reflection to travel along when I started, but I am stoked by the number of people whom it reached.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
04:37 Apr 02, 2023

Hi Viga. Your voice really resonates throughout this. Although we have only communicated relatively recently, I feel I have known you for years. Due to the strength of your voice, I convinced myself that your story was only really written to me, as if on a personal platform. Wonderful. You have attracted so many really helpful and honest comments from some of the strongest writers on Reedsy. Well done.

Reply

Viga Boland
14:04 Apr 02, 2023

Thanks Stevie. I am well pleased that the story spoke so strongly to you. At a guess, we have similar background experiences for you to identify so strongly with Dolores-Delilah. Yes, this story brought fascinating and intense interpretations of that story from other writers here. I learned a lot from them about how differently we all respond to stories and what each of us takes away from them. Reedsy is a great place to learn about the effect of writing on each of us. All those years studying English in high school and university didn’t t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
04:20 Apr 02, 2023

Viga I am so sorry for your losses and I am so glad you are able to write about them because writing for so many is wonderfully theraputic. Sounds like you and Mr. Viga make the most of every day and that's really what counts in the end, isn't it?

Reply

Viga Boland
13:55 Apr 02, 2023

That’s life, isn’t it. Thanks for reading this Wally. This “meta” wasn’t intended for a contest submission though I ended up making it one. Have to stop that LOL. Had some hope that Dolores-Delilah might get shortlisted after another writer thought it had. Turns out it wasn’t. Ah well. As you and I have discussed privately, I think it’s time for me to find paying markets and just do free submissions on Reedsy prompts. I don’t think free submissions get the same amount of response as the paid ones do, but then something like Chicken Soup gets...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hope Linter
01:37 Apr 02, 2023

I enjoy the honesty that comes through in your delightful 'voice', and your ability to share your life (ups and downs) with us lucky readers. When the Friday prompts come up, I usually feel a bit panicked, as I haven't finished the previous story. I'll try to be more forward looking and optimistic like you. I loved the 'same old, dame old'

Reply

Viga Boland
02:15 Apr 02, 2023

Glad you enjoyed it Hope. I truly didn’t know where I was going with it when I started but I was happy with what I finished with. Yeah, I feel a tad tense…maybe the word is being full of anticipation…of a prompt that will trigger something. The reverse is true…like 2 weeks back: looked at the prompts and had no idea what to do with them or what they even meant LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jody S
23:10 Apr 01, 2023

What a great read! I am new to the site, but I get the excitement of a new prompt! I love your style and look forward to reading more of your inspirations!! 💗

Reply

Viga Boland
23:25 Apr 01, 2023

Thanks so much Jody. Welcome to Reedsy. This is a wonderfully supportive writing community. You will love it here. I look forward to reading your stories in the future too. Just start following others and they’ll start following you. ✌️

Reply

Jody S
23:43 Apr 01, 2023

Thank you for the kind welcome! My writing and reading have been dormant for too long so I am happy to be here! Looking forward to more great reading!!

Reply

Viga Boland
23:53 Apr 01, 2023

Go for it 👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
KT George
17:28 Apr 01, 2023

Oh Viga! This is wonderful. What emotion you evoked in this true tale. I love that you love what you do, and it shows in your words. I, too, have been struggling with grief. Today would've been my older brother's 55th birthday, but he left us quite unexpectedly four years ago. He didn't die doing what he loved, and nine days later, we lost my father, who also didn't die doing what he loved, but of a broken heart. A cautionary tale. So keep doing what you love and love the one you're with! 💗 PS: Happy Mr. Banter's results were good! 🤗

Reply

Viga Boland
21:28 Apr 01, 2023

Oh KT…so sorry. Your brother was indeed too young. At least in hubby’s case, his brother was 75. Hubby is 81. We just don’t expect our siblings to pre-decease us, do we. I suppose I’m lucky in that respect: I was an only child. I have no living family other than on my husband’s side, and of course, my 2 lovely daughters (one of whom turned 43 today… my darling “April fool”… NOT! and my 20-year-old granddaughter. And to think you lost your father only 9 days later? What a doubly hard blow life dealt you at the time. Anyway, on to cheerier...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:22 Mar 31, 2023

Oh, Viga, Tears and tears. Laughter and sadness. You have done it again. Not even gonna read the other commenters first this time just agree with them, they are always so great:)

Reply

Viga Boland
15:09 Mar 31, 2023

Thanks Mary. That piece came straight from the heart, with minor editing, in reaction to my family’s lives over tha past month or so. When I started writing it, I had no specific ending in mind. It was purely stream of consciousness. Good or bad? Depends on the reader I guess. I just HAD to write it and let it take me where it wanted to go. Thanks for reading it.. 🙏

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:24 Mar 31, 2023

Yes, that is the way I felt about Timmy's piece. Felt better just writing it. Debated whether to enter contest. I know my writing doesn't compare to the talent flowing forth from here. I still haven't tried learning and following rules. Feel it would stifle whatever God-given gifts within I may be blessed with. (okay, stop laughing.) So sorry about the losses you have experienced this month and thank the Lord your hubby is good to go another fifty years :)

Reply

Viga Boland
16:54 Mar 31, 2023

Oh not quite 50 LOL. That’d make him over 130…a medical miracle 😂 You say “I know my writing doesn't compare to the talent flowing forth from here.”. I share those feelings every time I debate whether to pay or not pay for submissions. It’s very easy to be intimidated on here. Have you ever visited the judges page to see who actually decides if our story is worthy of being shortlisted? If you do, you will see the majority are other writers like you and me 😱 Visiting their personal pages and reading their bios is enlightening. Yes, a good nu...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:00 Mar 31, 2023

Excellent points. Do so agree.

Reply

Viga Boland
17:10 Mar 31, 2023

Good! And that you’re a peptalk and shot in the arm that this week. I just took a look at the new prompts for the coming week. I might just give this week a break and take a look at the submission requirements for chicken soup for the soul and a few other humor sites I’m looking at. It’s time to start laughing again!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
07:58 Mar 31, 2023

The meta about writing really resonates with me, Viga. And I feel for the wife here. At my age, too many people I have known (and some I have loved) have passed on to their next life, and they all leave a hole in my life. This does cause one to ruminate (another good word, like "cogitate") on life and its propensity to leave us while leaving our loved ones behind. It can make for morbid thoughts and gloomy days. TGIF, my friend! Lovely writing. Your skills are evident, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Viga Boland
17:07 Mar 31, 2023

I really appreciated your observations here, Delbert, and thank you very much for your concluding sentence. And I agree, “ruminate” is another excellent word 😉 But I have to confess to something here: in all my years of studying and teaching “writing”, this is the first time I’ve come across the word “meta” to describe T.G.I.F. I just thought what I’d written was more akin to the free-form poetry I’ve dabbled in over the years. I actually had to look up “meta”. I guess when I exchanged my student’s cap for my book reviewer’s hat over a de...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:34 Mar 31, 2023

Hi Viga I love the way you connect the Prompts to your life. I’m sure many people on here will feel the same way. Sometimes, it’s too difficult to write when a week has been awful, but it can help to write about it too - in whatever form that takes. I found this a deeply meaningful response to the Prompt. I’m so glad there was a good result from the colonoscopy. My job involves raising money for cancer research so it’s great to hear this. I like the flexibility here For me, writing is about making us feel something which your piece did.

Reply

Viga Boland
18:10 Mar 31, 2023

Oh Helen, you will never know what your comments on this piece mean to me. Yes. It was a deeply emotional response to a prompt, but to have you say that, for you, “writing is about making us feel something which your piece did.” As both an ordinary “Joe-sephine” and a writer, I thank you most sincerely. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
23:05 Mar 30, 2023

Viga, putting the terrible passings in this tale and using the prompt this way was very heart wrenching and clever. You captured the essence of the prompt as you laid out the details of your story. Nice job. LF6. Sorry to read you had to deal with so much loss almost all at once.

Reply

Viga Boland
23:11 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks Lily. Yes, the past couple of weeks have been hard on our immediate family, following so soon after watching Joan and her husband’s heartache with Benjamin. Was just saying to hubby after our fears yesterday with his colonoscopy, right now I couldn’t think of a funny Banter tale if I wanted to. That’s life, eh? Thanks for reading T.G.I.F. Where it sprung from yesterday I’m not really sure, but, sadness aside, liked where it ended up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
10:57 Mar 30, 2023

TGIF. I second and third you! (For me it’s Saturday when reedsy prompts come out though due to time zone differences.) I love your narration here, we are drawn into your story, with such an intimate point of view. It is neatly and concisely written without excess, just enough to satisfy the reader and open the window into your world. I think we can all relate to the anticipation of waiting for hat next prompt to make us ‘feel alive’ such a big dopamine hit when you get the spark of inspiration and write something that someone else reads and...

Reply

Viga Boland
13:47 Mar 30, 2023

Michelle…I love your likening finding a prompt that inspires to a dopamine hit. It is, isn’t it. What I still can’t believe is how this piece came from heaven knows where and once I started writing I couldn’t stop. It was almost effortless, unlike so many other things I have written and laboured over. Takes me back to my early adult years when I wrote poetry and just let myself “feel” rather than structure my writing according to the rules. While my Banters are meant to make others smile, they, like TGIF flow more easily than say, my othe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:09 Mar 30, 2023

I'm always here Viga for a bit of writing on writing, meanderings down memory lanes and more than anything, always, always here for this: Now, if you’ve noticed, even I fracture some of the rules of writing if it suits my mood. Like it does right now. Yes- fracture and clean break right away! (I love the fun rhyme on same and dame just before too; every woman of a certain age is going to feel oh hell don't let me be a same dame or teach or write like a same dame!) Your stories are always so heartwarming and yet the pivot at the heart of this...

Reply

Viga Boland
13:34 Mar 30, 2023

Rebecca…my head is spinning from your words. This piece poured itself onto the page yesterday from some spot so deep inside it surprised me. Was it stream of consciousness? I even deliberated posting it. Was it silly to share what Reedsy prompts do for me? Would others understand how other Reedsy writers have plucked me out of a world of creative avoidance and told me “Just write!” And now you, another writer whose work I admire, says what you just did. You tell me that you, and possibly others here will “get” this writer’s reflections. Oh ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
02:03 Mar 30, 2023

awww, Viga, another heartwarming story. a memoir? sorry about all your loses. I've had a few of those recently... it sure isn't fun. :( I'm always looking forward to Fridays too, for that reason (among others :) ) thank you for writing once again!! :D

Reply

Viga Boland
02:08 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks for reading once again Lilah. Not really memoir. More creative non-fiction with current real life events. Funny about “those” Fridays eh? Must admit to disappointment when all 5 prompts don’t prompt LOL

Reply

Irene Duchess
02:13 Mar 30, 2023

yes definitely :D

Reply

Viga Boland
02:17 Mar 30, 2023

Lilah…you’re making me feel bad in a nice way. You flatter me by reading and liking several of my stories and I’ve been too busy, especially today (colonoscopy day…yes, that was today) to get around to reading yours. But I will. Promise ✌️

Reply

Irene Duchess
02:19 Mar 30, 2023

oh you're fine. your stories are too good NOT to read :D

Reply

Viga Boland
03:11 Mar 30, 2023

Oh my goodness. You’re making my head swell and it’s already aching from too much screen time. I think it’s bedtime for this old girl. Been a loooonnnng day. Thanks for the support, Lilah. Now for a pillow and s dark room… 😴

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.