You can know everything about a society by looking at how they treat their animals

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Write a story about someone sticking to a course of action even when it’s clearly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Funny Sad

"I am a loner, Sally, a rebel. Therefore I have to, in the name of animal liberation, commit a terror attack against the local zoo."

"Are you braindead? How is that a logical conclusion?" She wondered and kicked hard against my shin.

"Sally, there is freedom, and there is true freedom. A lion, a king, his majesty, isn't born to be caged."

"There are other ways to do it. How about a petition? Talking with the zoo director?"

"There is a time for words, and there is a time for action. Freedom, the greatest of all things, must be obtained with any means necessary."

"Since you came back from college, you have been a piece of shit, brother. No care about anybody else. Only some pipe dream and talking like a stupid wannabe poet."

"You just don't understand that everything is political, and we must live this way."

I left the house, but even outside, I heard some female noises behind me. 

I need a vehicle to get there, something flashy that ends in the newspaper with an impressive headline.

"You stay the f here, brother," I heard as she wrapped her two thin arms around my torso.

"No, freedom must advance."

"You are a moron, but my moron," she stated. I couldn't shake the feeling that she won't leave anymore. I questioned her, clearly annoyed,

"Any idea for a cool ride?"

"How about walking back home."

"You are hopeless."

Still, as I scolded her, one idea popped into my mind.

"That grin screams disaster," she remarked.

I just walked straight the street down. 

"Stupid brother, slow down."

"Yeah, yeah."

While I advanced through the mass of people, I hummed Bitter Sweet Symphony. The people reacted to me crashing into them in the same annoying way. Some people don't get 'the spirit' of things.

"You are rubbing your hands, and I don't like it."

"A common issue for you today, I suppose," I snarked back.

"Where are we?"

"A big field, fresh air, too many rich people..."

She looked at me in horror.

"Are you kidding? We are at a private airport?!"

"Let's keep on rollin', baby," I put my leather jacket in place and moved towards the door.

"Heeeeeeeeeeey," she jumped right in front of me, but I just pushed her back. "This is against the koran!"

"What are you even talking about?" I was confused, then it hit me, "Oh, no, it is not that way. I am not here for a plane."

"Then why are we here?"

"You will see! Hehe."

With wide eyes, she stared at me continuously as we walked towards my goal

"If you look with wide eyes for too long, you will be too ugly for a husband."

"Wow, you already forgot that I am a lesbian? You really did change, wow."

"If you look with wide eyes for too long, you will be too ugly for a masculine lesbian."

"There really is no saving you, Baka."

Hearing that, I smiled and side-eyed her. She is still my little dumb sister.

"Tada!" I introduced it with a bang.

She bent her head forward. 

"This is even dumber than I expected."

"A zeppelin!" I announced enthusiastically, loudly, with a big big smile.

"I see that it is a zeppelin, you idiot," she slapped my arm. 

"What does this even mean?"

Alas, I was already at the entry of it and didn't hear a thing.

I waved at her, "Huhu Sally, I will write history."

She jumped towards me in a great hurry. With another jump, she ended up on my back, wrapping her arms and legs around my torso.

"Sorry, sis, but what I will say now may sound more positive than you think it is..."

She gasped.

"Thanks to anorexia, you are too skinny to keep me in place."

She wrapped herself around me even more aggressively. 

"You are hopeless, but I understand that this is a common rescue plan for a man that can't get laid."

I visibly yawned. It is like she isn't even trying anymore.

"Not true as I had someone in college."

"What did she want to work as?"

"Animal doc."

"I knew it! You are an idiot. A nice guy idiot."

"Always happy to be your punching bag, oh grandmaster of life, sis."

I tried to brush her off, but she kept wrapped around my torso.

Whatever

I entered the cockpit.

"I won't be able to control it very well if you don't leave my back."

"You are not supposed to fly it anyway. Stop this idiotic maneuver."

I pressed what I thought is the start button.

"This isn't a video game," my sister snarked.

As I had no idea how to get it up, I just pressed several buttons and pulled some levers until it raised itself from the ground.

"We, we are flying?"

"Yes, sis, we are flying."

She unwrapped herself from me and looked at me with an empty face.

"You are hopeless."

"Thank you, sis, for hearing such a thing from you, who was always there for me."

"Maybe I was less there for you than you for me."

"Yeah."

With the steering wheel in my hand, I felt in control. I can't remember ever feeling as much in control of life and the world before. I always liked pirate movies, and currently, I imagined myself being in one. Living as an air pirate, how cool is that?

"We can still go down without any issues. I bet the guy who owns this zeppelin will forgive you for it if you tell a believable sob story."

"Oh, I am beyond telling sob stories."

Thanks to my steering wheel skills - I loved playing airplane simulators as a kid - we had no issues arriving at the zoo.

"We can still..."

"Don't bother," I told her off as I walked around.

"What are you searching for?"

"Tsch."

I opened the door of the zeppelin.

"What are you doing? Hey!"

I forced a parachute on her, put the ripcord in her hand.

"What? This weird thing here can still end without any issues."

"Shut up, idiot," I said with a smile as I threw her out of the door.

A second later, I saw her parachute opening.

She is safe, I thought happily. 

Where is it? I wondered.

Here. I pulled my gun out of my jacket's pocket.

Bang. There is now a hole in the zeppelin. It lost height fast.

"Luckily, we are right above the zoo," I dryly stated to no one.

Arg, it hurts so much. I hold my right leg as I lay on the floor. Blood all over it, but I had to do what I had to do. With clenched teeth, I crawled outside of the zeppelin.

"Yes, a lion!" I shouted happily with the limited power I had left. It even looked like the zeppelin had crushed the gate of the lion's cage.

It slowly walked towards me.

It stopped right in front of me.

I put my arm around its neck.

It put his right paw on my back.

"The lions are free!" I announced as it put its claws into me.

May 20, 2021 19:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.