1 comment

General

My life has been so stressful lately I need to get away, Mary thought. But where should I go. Somewhere warm, like Mexico or Hawaii? Somewhere with a lot of history like Rome or Egypt? Well, I have already been to Mexico so I think that's out. Hawaii is still technically in the United States, and I think I should get out of both Canada and the United States.

So, Rome or Egypt, Rome or Egypt? Mary kept thinking about those two destinations as she paced in her apartment. She didn't know which one to pick. On the one hand, Egypt was both hot and had a lot of history in it. But on the other hand, she has always wanted to visit Rome. She wants to go somewhere with history so she can learn something while she relaxes and de-stresses, but where to choose.

I know, she thought, I'll just flip a coin. Heads, I go to Rome, tails, I go to Egypt. She went into her purse and pulled out a quarter. She tossed the coin the the air, caught it, and flipped it onto her arm. It was heads, she was headed to Rome.

Knowing that she was going to Rome she got so excited. She had always wanted to go there and now her dream is finally coming true. She put on her shoes and her spring jacket and went out the door, headed for the nearest travel agency.

Mary walked into the travel agency and looked at all of the travel posters on the wall. There was a corner full of travel brochures. The first one she saw was for Rome. It was a sign, she thought, this was meant to be. "Can I help you?" She turned around and there was an agent smiling at her from behind a computer.

"Yes. I want to go to Rome as soon as I can."

The agent, her name tag said Lucy, giggled to herself. "A little anxious I see. I'll see what I can do for you." Lucy typed on her computer for a few minutes and then smiled. "There is actually a flight leaving for Rome tomorrow afternoon and there are two more seats available."

Mary jumped at the chance. "I'll take one." She took out her credit card right away so she wouldn't lose her seat.

Mary left the travel agency with a bounce in her step. She almost jogged home so she could pack and get her passport ready to go.

The next day she called a cab to take her to the airport. She was so excited for what lies ahead for the next few days.

After Mary went through security she settled into her seat on the air plane, ready for the long flight ahead of her. As the plane started down the runway Mary nestled her head back on the headrest. She was wondering what she should do now. She brought a book to read that she has been dying to dive into, however, this flight is also showing a movie that she really wants to see. What should she do first.

At that moment the flight attendant made an announcement on the PA system. They are having some technical difficulties with the movie right now, they are working to fix it, so the movie will be shown once the issue is resolved. Well, that solved Mary's dilemma. She will read for a while now. Then she will watch the movie. After the movie is over, she will read some more. At least she won't be bored during this flight.

It felt like almost no time at all that the plane started the descent into Rome. After Mary walked off of the plane and out of the airport she looked around and took a big, long gulp of the crisp clean air. She couldn't believe she was actually in Rome. She hailed a taxi to take her to her hotel. She needed to unpack and start planning the next couple of days.

She checked in at the hotel and a bellman carried her luggage to her room. Once the bellman left her alone she spun around to look at her room and she was just in awe and what she was looking at. There was a couch against the far wall that was big enough for four to five people to sit on it. The bed was massive. She thought the largest size of bed you could get was a king size but this had to be bigger. She squealed when she saw the chocolate on her pillow. She had never stayed anywhere fancy enough to leave chocolates on the pillow. Oh, and there's a balcony overlooking the court yard. She was simply in heaven. However, she has had a very long day. It's time she got some sleep. She can see the sights in the morning.

Mary opened her eyes after the best sleep she has had in the longest time. She has been so stressed out lately that she has barely been sleeping. Being here, the stress seems to have just melted away.

Now, what should I do first? Mary thought to herself as she got herself ready for the day. There are so many things to do and see. Should I so to the Colosseum, or should I go to the Trevi Fountain? So many hard choices to make, I don't know what to do. Well, I can just walk by the Trevi Fountain at any time. I think I'll visit the Colosseum today. There is a brochure on the night stand, I'll look in there to see if it has the time it opens.

After looking in the brochure Mary realized that the Colosseum doesn't open for a few hours. Well, what should I do now? I'm too antsy to just sit in my room and wait. Oh, this hotel has a pool. I'll go for a swim and get some much needed exercise first.

Mary put on her swim suit and pulled out her towel and headed for the pool. Once there she noticed that she was the only one. Good, she thought, this will be a nice, quiet swim. The pool wasn't too big either. She thought she could probably do about one hundred laps. Mary found that swimming laps was very soothing, almost like meditating. She figured it would take her about an hour.

After her swim she had a shower. She had to wash all of the chlorine off of her and out of her hair. She also wanted to find something to eat. Swimming always made her hungry.

There was a small cafe in the lobby of her hotel. She stopped there before she left to go to the Colosseum. She first ordered just a bottle of water to re-hydrate herself after the swim. Then she looked at the menu. She saw they had a turkey sandwich, which she enjoyed. Then she noticed the reuben sandwich, which she also really liked. Another difficult choice. She asked the employee what they recommended. They said they were both good. She smiled and thought to herself that didn't help her. She thought for another minute, going back and forth between the two, finally deciding on the reuben sandwich.

She sat down to enjoy her small meal. It was so good, she hadn't had a reuben in so long.

Next, she was off to the Colosseum. She got there just as it was opening and a tour was starting. She learned about the building of it, the gladiator contests, and even how it was devastated by the Great Fire of Rome. There was so much to learn and take in and she wanted to absorb as much as she could. When the tour was over she was simply exhausted. She called a cab back to her hotel, eager to fall onto her bed and into a deep sleep. Excited for what awaits her tomorrow.

The next day she woke up after another wonderful sleep. She took her time getting up though. She thought she was going to order some room service, she's never done that before. She ordered some pancakes, hashbrowns, sausage, and coffee. It didn't take long for her breakfast to come, but when it did it smelled absolutely amazing. And tasted even better. Once she was finished eating she had a quick shower, changed, and was out the door. She wanted to get to the Trevi Fountain today.

The Trevi Fountain wasn't far from her hotel so she decided to walk there. Once there, she couldn't believe how many people were there. It really was a tourist attraction. She made her way right up to the Fountain. It really was beautiful. Mary took a coin out of her purse and turned so the Fountain was behind her. She knew that people were supposed to throw the coins into the Fountain using their right hand and over their left shoulder. So, that is exactly what she did, while making a wish. She wouldn't tell anyone what she wished for, of course, or else it wouldn't come true.

She sat by the Fountain for a long time. She talked with some people for a while, and just sat alone people watching for a while. It was a very peaceful day. She couldn't believe that her trip to Rome was almost over.

When the sun started to lower over the horizon she knew it was time to head back to the hotel for her last night in Rome. In the morning she would pack her things and head back to the airport, hoping that her normal stressful life doesn't creep back up on her. Thank you Rome, she thought, I owe you so much. I hope to be back again sometime.

March 14, 2020 20:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Zilla Babbitt
21:35 Mar 25, 2020

Here for the critique circle :). I like how this story is full of her choices-- it's what keeps the plot going. I can tell you like Rome and have either been there, live there, or have done some detailed research. I love how she flips the coin she used to come to Rome into the Trevi Fountain. However, it feels as though you are just telling the story to the reader. "She was in heaven." Okay, so what? Show me she's in heaven. Give me the smell, the glow in her eyes as she looks out the window toward the lovely city. Show me what she ate, ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.