If The Clouds Were Cotton Candy

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

15 comments

Drama

Grandma was a huge Duke Ellington fan. That’s why instead of having us call her Jasmine, she was Grandma Jaz. 

For the longest time, she had her own sweet shop over at the mall. She’d bring me there every day and have us taste her newest additions. Every day we’d try out new types of caramel, chocolate, and candy. Brook wasn’t born then.

Dad, who was a dentist, was mildly frustrated with his mother, but never stopped me from being with her in the shop. In fact, he came along, making sure that I would take care of my teeth. 

 Life was great. Grandma would come to our house sometimes and sing me some of her favorite jazz songs, her turquoise glasses glinting in excitement. I loved every moment of it. 

 Grandpa, her husband, had passed away as a middle-aged man, and I had heard about how much that had hurt both Grandma Jaz and Dad, but I wasn’t alive at that time. 

After his death, she had lived with her younger son, my uncle Bill, for a very long time. When Brook was born, Grandma moved into our house to help us take care of her. She’s lived with us ever since. I was six then, so for more than half of my life she was like a third parent to me. 

As the years passed by, she started to need a walking stick, and then a wheelchair. Her health was getting worse too, so she had to take her pills twice a day. Sometimes we felt that she was slowly drifting away, slipping into her own world. Fading. Dad said it was normal, that things such as this happened in old age.

It was only a few days ago when she told me the story that would change my life.

She had me sit beside her on her bed and get comfy in the covers. I remember her telling me to call my sister. I said it’d be nice if she wasn’t there for that day since I was sick of her endless teasing, but Grandma Jaz insisted anyway. 

Once Brook had joined us on the bed, Grandma began the story with her usual whisper. “Once upon a time, there was a kid. He’d go every day to a cotton candy shop next to his house. The owner there was a very nice old man. The boy was friends with the man for as long as he could remember. He’d tell the tales of his day to him every time he visited, even if sometimes news wasn’t always great.”

She coughed and then continued. “One day, while he was driving down the road, the old man bumped against another car and got caught in a nasty accident. This took place very close to the little child’s home. When the ambulances arrived, he heard the loud wailing of sirens. Of course, he didn’t know whose accident it was, until later that evening.” 

“Oh, man this story sucks! Did the old man just die?” Brook interrupted.

“Wait for her to finish, okay? But did he, though?” I added.

“You’ll see.” Granda Jaz whispered, and then continued on with her story. “When he went to the cotton candy-store, a sign on it read: “closed.” He came home and told his mother, who was also good friends with the man. Both knew that he would never close so suddenly. The mother called the man’s daughter, to ask if he was okay. By this time the boy was starting to contemplate what could have happened. He did hear those sirens, now didn’t he? His fears came true when his mother told him that the old man was at the hospital. The entire family rushed there, devastated to see their neighbor on a stretcher, tubes stuck into his nostrils, blood soaking his bandages. He was unconscious.”

Brook shifted her position to get closer to Grandma. “So he’s dead?”

“What? No, not yet. His heart was still beating, but very slowly. Then it made a final stretch as if yearning to hold on to life one last time, and then faded into silence. The whole room was swept with a force. Not darkness, no, it was definitely not darkness. . . . It was peace. In silence, a few tears on everyone’s cheeks, the people in the room felt peace. Everything was silent for a while.” 

Grandma sighed. “That was the old man’s dying gift to the world. Peace. But then everything rushed again. Doctors, cries of heartbreak. But no one would ever forget that moment, especially not the boy, as it would change his life forever. Sometimes, when he would be completely alone, he could feel the peace. He could feel the old man.”

“The end?” I asked, shaken by the sad, quick tale.

“Yup.”

“But you said he wouldn’t die!” Brook moaned. 

“I never said that. I only told you to wait. But that’s not the point. I want you to always remember, no matter when or how someone dies, they will be with you forever.”

I shrugged. “That kinda makes sense.” 

Grandma Jaz smiled. “That’s okay.” 

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

The next morning, I was awoken by horrible nightmares. It was about 5:40 am. I stretched once and then attempted to float into wonderful dreams of happiness and chocolate. I was unsuccessful. 

Somehow, I managed to spend another hour sulking in the comforter, too tired to get up, and too awake to fall back asleep. What was my nightmare, anyway? I couldn’t remember. 

At approximately 7:00, I got up and decided I wasn’t going to let a Friday go this way. I quickly brushed my teeth, took a hot shower to wake myself up, and rushed downstairs at top speed. Because it was summer, I had no school today. 

“Morning! You sure are up early.” Mom greeted, looking up from her phone, as I took a seat at the breakfast table. Dad was in the office working, and Grandma Jaz and Brook were still asleep. 

“Yeah. I couldn’t go back to sleep.” 

“Aww, that’s okay. Luckily, I made pancakes today!”

I gasped. “Wait. Really? Banana?”

“Yup.” 

As I sat to eat the delicious heap of yum, once I had arranged it, the memory of yesterday's story floated into my mind. It sure was strange. 

I shrugged it off as I got ready for the day’s activities. 

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

It had been six days since the last story. Grandma had been really sick the past few days. She was having a really bad fever and felt really hot. She even joked that she hoped she looked hot, something she wouldn’t normally say. 

It happened when I was watching TV in the living room. Half-past four. A pained cry came from upstairs. It was Mom. 

Panic struck me as I froze in place. Then I got to my senses and rushed to Grandma’s room. Dad came soon after, and so did Brook. 

When I saw Grandma peacefully sleeping on her bed, Mom beside her, I didn’t know what to think. Had Mom seen a mouse? A cockroach? Something else? 

Then everything fell in place. I burst into tears when I realized what had happened. I fell to the floor as dizziness shook me. The whole world was gone. I didn’t want to think about it, but

Grandma Jaz was gone. 

The only thought in my mind was, No. Not yet. We didn’t say goodbye.

That, plus a small nagging. One that I tried to ignore, but couldn’t. I thought about how she said everything would be alright. It wasn’t. She said I’d feel peace. All I felt was the pain. 

She betrayed me. 

I said nothing as I rushed out, into my room, and on the bed. I cried. For hours, maybe days, maybe a lifetime. I didn’t know. I didn’t care. 

What would I do now? How did it happen? 

Why?

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

My eyes were dry at the funeral. 

Why? I asked myself as Dad gave his speech in remembrance to Grandma. Brook was standing beside me, Mom in front. 

I’ll never see her again. I thought. No more stories or Jazz or candy. 

Why were we so powerless in such things? Why couldn’t we bring her back? I kept telling myself that that’s not how it worked, that it happens to everyone, but that just made me feel worse.

I didn’t remember much. Only the gleam of the coffin. The burial. The soft crying. 

I didn’t know why I felt angry. 

After the funeral, my family had a small picnic under a tree at the park. I felt a little bit more positive in the serene, calm environment.

“Wow. The clouds look like cotton!” Brook murmured.

The sky was streaked with clouds of all the hues: orange, blue, pink, purple… The sky itself transcended from a calm midnight blue to blazing orange. It was a beautiful sight. How could something we looked at everyday look so new and different all of a sudden? 

Then I realized. It was as if Grandma Jaz’s bright and spunky spirit had seeped into the heavens and turned the sky into a rainbow of colors. 

Her story. . . this was her gift to the world. I kept that thought in my mind, She was still here. She’d always be.

Pink cotton…” Brook murmured, and after a moment of thought, she asked, “Mom, what if the clouds were made of cotton candy?” 

Mom was sound asleep. How could she be asleep? Then yawned. I was tired as well, but the other emotions were stronger.

I managed a small grin. “Cotton candy? That’d be absurd. You know clouds are made of water molec---”

She interrupted me again. “No, but what if they were. Would we eat them, or would we just look at them and admire their beauty?” 

I thought about this for a while. If we would have planes, wouldn’t they just get stuck in the clouds? Passenger airplanes wouldn’t exist. Oh, wouldn’t there be any rain!? I was right. This was an absurd question. 

Then I realized what Brook meant. She didn’t mean it literally. I thought of everything we had faced. Without Grandma Jaz, I didn’t know where I would have been. She was our own cloud of cotton candy. If the world was full of people like her…

I could almost hear the soft jazz music in the air.

I smiled. “If the clouds were cotton candy, the world would be a much sweeter place, wouldn’t it?”

September 11, 2020 20:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Zea Bowman
02:07 Oct 07, 2020

Rina - we meet again :). I wanted to let you know that I wrote a "Zombies Sound Safer Than My Family - Part 2." You had read the first and seemed to enjoy it, so I was just letting you know that I had made a second if you wanted to check it out. :)

Reply

Anii ✨
18:04 Oct 07, 2020

Woah! That's great! I'll be sure to check it out! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zea Bowman
18:07 Oct 03, 2020

A little bit ago you asked me to come check out your story, so here I am. I am so glad you asked me to come read this! This story was so touching and heartfelt. Honestly, if you hadn't said you were 13 in your bio, I wouldn't have ever guessed. I love the way that you described the main character's thoughts and emotions. If I am being totally honest, this story literally brought tears to my eyes...twice! The first when Grandma Jaz died. I was like, "nooooo!" But what really got me there was when the main character said that it couldn'...

Reply

Anii ✨
18:20 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you so much for taking your time and reading my story! I'm glad you enjoyed the ending! I was worried it would be a little too sappy or that it wouldn't make much sense, but I'm really happy it wasn't that way. Your response has made me smile, and thank you so much once again. I don't think you know how much this feedback seriously means to me, and I really, really appreciate it. (And, yes, I will try my best to post a story this week, so hopefully, it will be up there! ;D)

Reply

Zea Bowman
18:41 Oct 03, 2020

Of course! Anything this good is worth hours of my time :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:00 Sep 30, 2020

Keep up the good work

Reply

Anii ✨
18:05 Sep 30, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Sun 2.0
17:29 Sep 30, 2020

Wow! I don't know why so little people read your story but this is such a touching story. I... This feels like a masterpiece. Your character's voice is so clear and he is so innocent. Some readers will believe that this story is real! Anvi, your talent for writing is amazing! There have only been a few stories that ever made me feel empathetic, and yours is one of them. Your character's characteristic and emotions are easily identified. Good Job!

Reply

Anii ✨
18:13 Sep 30, 2020

Thank you so, so very much! Your comment makes me feel really excited! You don't know how much this means to me. Literally, thank you so much! I'mma go cry now. P.S. Anyway, I don't know if this is just me, but I always thought that my character would be a she. Good thing I didn't specify the gender, though, because I feel that many others (including you) see her (him? I'm confused now) as male.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gaurav Verma
03:47 Sep 22, 2020

Beautiful story Anvi. This story touches deep inside and is full of emotional turmoils.

Reply

Anii ✨
14:48 Sep 22, 2020

Thank you!!! I'm so happy it actually came out to be emotional! ^﹏^🤗🤗😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

What a beautiful and great story! I almost teared up when Grandma Jaz passed away. This story is very bittersweet and I love it. You also described and wrote the narrator well! Good job ❤❤ - It would be great if you could cheack my story out and give me some feedback :)

Reply

Anii ✨
16:49 Sep 19, 2020

Wow! Thank you so, so very much! This was my first ever entry on Reedsy, and It means so much to me that you read it. Thanks again for making my day, and yes, I will definitely read your story as well. 🤗🤗🤗

Reply

No way that this is your first one! I think it is fantastic! I‘m really impressed. Great job again!

Reply

Anii ✨
02:36 Sep 22, 2020

Ahhh thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.