Sophia and the Kingdom of the Fairies

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a fairy tale about an outsider trying to fit in.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

Once upon a time in the land of humans lived a young lady name Sophia who loved fairy tales and one day wished to travel to a magical land known as the kingdom of the fairies.


The kingdom of the fairies is a magical land deep in the realm of lights. The fairies are the protectors of all that is good and magical. The kingdom as it is called is protected by the fairy dust and all those who enter the kingdom are enchanted by the fairies. Those who are not enchanted are not welcomed into the kingdom.


Sophia who lives in the land of the humans is fascinated by the kingdom of the fairies ever since she was a little girl. Sophia reads the tales of the fairies and believes she knows where the kingdom resides.


On the 5th day of the month during the spring celebration Sophia sets out to find the kingdom of the fairies. She has taken with her the book of fairy tales which describe where the kingdom is located. Sophia uses the book of fairy tales as a map.


Ariel the fairy with red hair and green eyes has left the kingdom in search of fun. Ariel carefully passes over the troll's lair. She sees the trolls are a sleep and not disturbing the kingdom as they usually do. Ariel has made it pass the lair and is now entering the land of the humans.


Ariel has never seen anything so dark. She wonders where all the lights have gone. Ariel looks up at the sky and sees strange dots and wonders what magic that is. Ariel flies over the trees where she sees strange creatures. Ariel goes to touch the creatures, but they fly away.


"What strange creatures they are." Ariel says.


Ariel continues to fly over the land of humans, now she hears a strange voice. Ariel wishes she has lights, but it's against the law to bring lights from the kingdom into the human world. Ariel flies carefully to where she hears the voice. She stops at a tree, peeks over and sees a human girl. This is the first time Ariel has seen a human. Ariel wonders what this human is doing far from her land.


"What is this human doing far from her land?" Ariel wonders.


Sophia is deep in the forest reading the book of fairy tales when she is startled. Sophia looks to her right and left. She sees nothing. Sophia continues to read the book of fairy tales and again is startled. Sophia jumps. Ariel not careful flies towards Sophia. When Ariel sees Sophia looking around she stops and then begins to fly towards Sophia. Ariel once again stops when she sees Sophia looking around the forest. Ariel begins to move again.


Sophia spots something moving towards her. She doesn't know what to make of it. Sophia stops reading the book of fairy tales and begins to run. Ariel flies in Sophia's direction.


Sophia hears something behind her. She runs faster and faster. Sophia falls over a rock and clutches her ankle. Ariel sees what she has done and is scared.


"Oh no I hurt the young lady." Ariel sadly says.


Ariel flies to Sophia who has her eyes closed and sprinkles fairy dust on Sophia's ankle. Sophia opens her eyes and sees a fairy.


A wide eye Sophia stares at Ariel. Ariel equally stares at Sophia. Sophia begins to speak.


"You are a fairy." Sophia smiles.


Ariel takes off. Ariel knows she broke the most important rule of the fairies , never be seen by the humans. Sophia calls for Ariel, but Ariel keeps flying. Sophia chases after Ariel.


Sophia chases Ariel deeper into the forest where she loses her. Sophia stops. She looks around and then spots a small figure flying. Sophia runs in the direction of the flying figure. Sophia calls for Ariel.


"I only want to talk to you." Sophia says loudly, but Ariel doesn't stop.


Ariel is almost and the entrance to the realm of lights. She looks behind her and sees Sophia still chasing her.


"I'm in so much trouble." Ariel whispers.


Sophia keeps on calling Ariel.


"Please stop. I won't hurt you. I have imagined what you would look like for so long."


Ariel is stop by Sophia's words. She turns around and sees Sophia in front of her.


"What is your name?" Sophia says


"My name is Ariel."


"And your name"


"My name is Sophia."


Sophia and Ariel stare at each other in wonder. For the first time human and fairy have met.


"My mother is not going to be happy." Ariel whispers


"Mine either." Sophia says


Ariel turns around to fly into the realm of lights when she is stop by Sophia.


"Where are you going?"


"I'm going back home."


"To the fairy kingdom."


Ariel nods


"How do you know about the fairy kingdom?"


"My fairy tale book. Can I come with you?"


Ariel is shocked. No human is allowed to go into the kingdom for they are not enchanted.


"You have to be enchanted to enter the kingdom." Ariel informs Sophia


"How do you become enchanted?" Sophia asks


"Only a fairy can enchant someone."


"Can you enchant me? I always dreamed of going to the kingdom."


Ariel nods


"But you can't stay long."


Sophia nods


Ariel enchants Sophia and together they enter the realm.


"Don't look done."


Sophia nods


Sophia enchanted by Ariel is in the realm, the first for a human. As Sophia passes through she sees all the magical lands she has read about, all the beauty and wonder of the kingdom which is in the realm of lights.


"Wow this is the realm of lights." Sophia says to herself


Ariel nods


Ariel is fascinates by Sophia. Ariel never imagined a human would now so much about the realm and the kingdom. Ariel knows Sophia is not going to be welcomed by the other fairies especially her mother the queen Melia.


"Do fairies always think too much." Sophia looks at Ariel


Ariel tells Sophia


"Fairies, the realm and the kingdom are a secret. My mother the queen is not going to welcome you with open arms."


Sophia smiles


"Living in my world is hard. I find this world to be beautiful and I know I'm not going to fit in. I just want to see the kingdom."


Ariel nods


Ariel tells Sophia not to look down, the trolls are nasty creatures.


Sophie smiles


"We are at the entrance to the fairy kingdom. Are you ready?"


Sophia nods


Ariel grabs Sophia's hand and guides her into the fairy kingdom.


Sophia enters the fairy kingdom and what she sees amazes her. She sees the fairy castle standing in the middle of the kingdom in all it's glory. Sophia squeals in excitement.


Ariel nervously looks around and sees her two sisters Molly and Nissa coming towards her. They are angry.


"Ariel what have you done bring a human into our kingdom."


Molly angrily says to Ariel


"She just wants to see the kingdom just this once."


Ariel tells her sisters


Sophia enchanted by Ariel walks to the two fairies standing with Ariel. She tries to introduce herself, they angrily leave without saying hello. Sophia is hurt by their actions.


"Those are my sisters Molly and Nissa."


Sophia slightly nods


Ariel gives Sophia a tour of the kingdom. Each of the fairies they come upon brushes Sophia aside. Sophia doesn't know why the fairies are acting the way they are. She only wants to talk to them and be their friend. The fairies are not interested in being friends with Sophia.


As Sophia and Ariel fly through the kingdom Ariel explains all the magic the fairies possess. She tells Sophia to look up. Sophia looks up and sees the fairy dust.


"Beautiful."


Sophia says


The other fairies watch Sophia carefully. Sophia notices the way the fairies are acting towards her. She chooses to ignore them. Sophia is having a wonderful time.


Ariel and Sophia pass the castle. The fairies give Sophia a most unpleasant look.


"Don't worry about them."


Ariel takes Sophia all around the castle, but not inside. She shows Sophia all the wonderful things the fairies are known for. Ariel wraps up the tour when she sees her mother staring at them.


Sophia sees the fairy queen staring at them.


"Your kingdom is beautiful, but I think it's time for me to leave. I apologize if I cause you any trouble."


Ariel smiles


"Maybe we can still be friends and met in secret."


Sophia smiles


"I would love that."


Ariel takes Sophia's hand and guides her out of the kingdom.


"I'm glad I got to see the kingdom. Thank you Ariel for bring me here."


"And I'm sorry for the way my two sisters and the rest of the fairies act towards you. We are not like that. We only want to protect the realm and the kingdom."


Sophia nods.


"I understand. Us humans won't take kindly to fairies being in our world."


Ariel and Sophia hug


"I promise not to tell anyone about the kingdom."


Ariel nods


Ariel goes back to the kingdom happy she met Sophia.


Sophia goes back home happy she met Ariel.


Ariel and Sophia kept on seeing each other in secret, best friends now and forever.

April 06, 2021 21:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.