The Legend Of The Shamans

Submitted into Contest #103 in response to: Write about a character looking for a sign.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Indigenous

   Tan’ too’ an (the tribe’s great chief) declares to the village, “it is time for Hu a’ ka (the tribal shaman) to make solitude, to rest the mind and body to connect with the Muteesa. We must know what is to come. It is foretold that with this blood moon, comes great change. The visions must be known.”

    The Muteesa are spirits from the between world, spirit walkers, that communicate with those who have the gift of visions. The unseen spirit guides act as the communication link between the ancestors and the living shaman. The stories of the visions of this day to come are epic. Hu a’ ka makes his way to the plateau. Soon all will be revealed.

    Standing atop the desert’s tall plateau, Hu a’ ka gazes down on the village. Scanning the vast desert landscape, he marvels at the beauty of his people below. The hisa (air) is so clear, the tawa (sun) so warm, and the kuta’hana (balance of spirit and earth) so present, that he is struck by such a peaceful day. He can see and hear more clearly than most days. The horse’s hooves echo across the plain, while the children’s laughter rises as high as the huna (stars). He smiles at the loving oneness of the tribe. Each working together for each other, each as the other. The urge is overwhelming. He must bless his people, by giving thanks to the tawa (sun) and huna (stars). “This peace amongst my people’s spirits, it is good. Many blessings to you, my spirit walkers, for bringing my people such beauty, bounty, and balance today.” It is so beautiful that he cannot imagine signs or visions that might disrupt the peace.

    Behind him rises the scent of fired herbs. Their earthy aromas help relax his awakened mind. Small posak’a (revered gemstones, that shaman use to open great vision powers to channel the spirit world) are chosen for the ceremony. His rhythmic humming and quiet chanting send vibrations throughout the universe, announcing that Hu a’ ka is starting his vision journey. Rippled by the etherical vibrations, the spirit walkers turn their attention to the shaman, who is ready to receive.

    The encampment is filled with bustle and great hope that the spirit walker’s gifts of knowledge will be gracious. “Towa’qwa, stop tapping those turtle’s backs with those reeds! They know you are there. You must allow them to live their life without your interference. You are to be gathering berries. Father will need the berries to record his visions. Hurry! Make your way to the woods. Demonstrate that you are a wise ten-year old. It is important that the elders trust that you are nurturing your gifts”, say’s Hu’ a’ ka’s wife; Towa’qwa’s mother.

    Towa’qwa asks her mother, “Mother, must I gather the sage as well? I love the smell of the burning bush. May I also light the fire for father when he returns? I want him to be proud that I follow his footsteps so well.” Mother replies, “yes.” “Now off you go. Be careful, and be especially watchful on this holiest of days.” As she skips towards the forest line, her mother beams with pride. Her daughter’s love for all of life is un-naturally strong. She knows the young woman will fulfill her life’s calling well. That thought ends and is quickly replaced by another. She speaks aloud to the spirits of her ancestors, “She observes a little too much. I only hope that her distractions are not too great today, you know too well that she is my little wandering hawk.

    Even though she is only ten years old, the significance of Towa’qwa’s name, and her divine purpose within the tribe, is not lost on her. Like a fish, whose weight is crushed by the intent of the eagle, there is no escaping her fate. In her world, awareness of the body, spirit, animals, sky peoples, celestial bodies, and earth’s bounties feed each moment like sunlight to the plants. Each expressing signs, that aid an Indian in living a life true to their highest being. Family before her meshed the tribe’s history and visions into their song, dance, and cave drawings. Doing so reminds future family to seek the signs of the past, to predict things yet to come. The secret to a good life, is in the human connections. While still young, she understands that learning from the past, and incorporating those teachings into her being, will help unleash her ethereal abilities, and in doing so, guide her tribe’s future.

     The meaning of Towa’qwa’s name is revered; shaman. The spirit naming tawa ceremony on the day of her birth, honors her shaman Grandmothers who came before her, passing to her soul the gift of sight. This ability to see, understand, and interpret signs will alert her people to foreboding circumstances that threaten the tribe. Elders remind her often that teachings and celebrations are breadcrumbs that nature and the divine spirit ancestors leave for the tribal members. She however recognizes that she is the receiver, decoder, and messenger. Towa’qwa tries hard to recognize the signs that will inform her that her intuitive cycle has started, and that the spirit walkers have come to introduce themselves to her. It will be the beginning of many two-way spiritual pow wows.

    With the aid of the smoldering herbs, Hu a’ ka’s mind has transcended, like the caterpillar to the butterfly. All he sees is blackness, but his spirit is overcome with immense joy. His mind is clear, and his spirit is aware that the ancestral walkers are with him. A background of imagined drumming sends him deeper into trance. “Greetings Muteesa. Our elders are eager to know what is next for our families. Gifts are being offered in your honor, and we are grateful for your presence.” He is excited for their messages. Their excitement mirrors his, there will be no waiting. The image of a bear appears, signifying that joy and contentment will come to the tribe. Such an early sign of good futures surely signifies that this visitation will be positive. “Thank you for such generosity.”

    A fog is swirling before him. Each swirl brings a clearer picture of an event to come. Looking down towards the ground while still in this dream state, circular shadows appear to move swiftly move across the plain. Adjusting his gaze upwards to the sky, large stones are flying like eagles. It is a very strange site. Their movements silent like clouds. “I have not seen this before, help me to perceive.” The stones slow to a stop, and float down slowly from the sky, like the eagle’s feather. Hearing screams and commotion, he turns his gaze to see his people in fear. Terrified at their size once they rest on the earth’s floor, the tribe scatters in fear. The Chief however and his warriors do not scatter nor fear. They stand strong to protect their flock. In a row they proudly hold their formation, as the visitors appear from their crafts. 

    “I do not understand. Your greeting was of continued peace. Please reveal more. What is this being? It is unfamiliar to me. Great family, should we fear and prepare for war?” While many would fear it’s alien appearance, a feeling of love from the being to Hu a’ ka washes over him. Hu a’ ka is confused, but not afraid. The experience is so real it’s as if he is there, the smell from the tribes burning fires and sounds. It is as if the Muteesa are communicating that all time stands still for the communication, and he can enter this future timeline, to join the pow wow. He watches from afar, noticing that exchange between the star people and the future tribal elders is friendly and welcoming.

     Next he is shown a reflection of himself in a water’s pond. He stares at his reflection, looking for the signs. Ripples now blur his image, and the creature’s features wash over his reflection. He stares intently, curious. Again, the feeling of intense joy washes over him like a large wave. The sight of the creature’s face over his actually feels comforting. Hua a’ ka communicates, “I understand.” Great shaman come to understand that all spirits are connected. All spirits are really one. “We are brothers then”, he proclaims. The smell of pipe smoke comes to his altered mind. A meeting between the tribe and a creature from the stars (hunas) is being witnessed. In his mind, he hears that the beings and the tribe are destined to meet. “Hmmm, yes, our chiefs are to meet and be fruitful. There is much for us to learn and share. They come in peace, and we will make peace with one another.”

    One last image appears. A comet the color of the blue flame is streaking across a night sky. “Ah my dear family, it will be said. When the blue flame comet comes next, we will be prepared to greet our visitors properly. I understand, the visit is a gift from you.” As one last burst of energy floods his heart, he knows this journey is ending. “Muteesa (spirit walkers), much honor, respect, and love for the messages of the future. Many thanks and blessings from our people to you.”

    As dark as it was when he entered the spirit walker’s world, it’s as bright with light as he returns. Refreshed and comforted, he is ready to share his experience with all of the eagerly awaiting brothers and sisters. Rising to gaze over the valley once more, it’s as if time stood still. The children’s laughter still echoing, and the sounds of busy preparations for his return float over the plateau. Time it seems, has stood still.

    Towa’qwa practices her rhythmic humming as she searches for the ripest berries. Creating the ink that will adorn the walls of their history is revered. Reaching for the ripest one, she notices a tiny lizard. “Hey tiny friend. Have you been sent here by my ancestors? I know that you come as an omen of survival.” Her mother told her to be especially careful today, so she kisses the top of his head and thanks him for his gift of presence and protection. Excited to now have company, “Mother would be upset, but you can come with me.” She slips the tiny creature into her second leather pouch. “You will love my tiny pouch, I made it myself.”

    “Look at that big bunch of sage! Want to smell it lizard?” Smiling, “father will surely like this sage. Let’s see what else we can find.” As the path descends, she freezes quickly. A bear is enjoying the berries at the river’s edge. She tries not to move. She stands still, eyes wide open. Suddenly all she sees is total darkness. Scared and concerned, she puts her hand over her heart chakra, she feels that her heart is still beating vibrations. Even though she is shrouded in darkness, she is definitely still alive. Suddenly, warmth and joy pour into her soul, ingulfing her from head to toe. The love is so intense, that she immediately recognizes the sign. The ancestors are here for their first of many visits to come. “The gift, it is real my lizard friend!” It is validation for years of hope, and much uncertainty. She is excited to experience the gift of sight. Not wanting any distraction during such an exciting moment, she mentally explains to her green companion, “it is time for you to rest sill my lizard. I am talking to my family.”

    In her mind the image of her father appears. She sends communication to her father via thoughts and feelings, that she is with the ancestors and actively receiving. The image of the bear at the water’s edge enters into her mind. It calms her, as a bear is a good sign that all will be well with the Indian. Still standing frozen in place awaiting more signs, another wave of warmth floods in, and instantly she is back into the beautiful day. The bear once there, dissolves into space. She didn’t completely understand, but she hoped that her father saw her and would rejoice. “Lizard, how happy am I? I can do it!” The lizard looks back at her with a neutral expression. “Well, you wouldn’t understand. It is a wonderful gift meant only for shaman like me!”

    Walking along the bank of the river, “We have done well together today. Let us celebrate. A berry for you, and a drink of cool water for me.” As she finishes cupping the water to her mouth, she pauses to gaze into the pool of water. Staring at the skippers as they skate across the top, she notices her reflection in the clear cold water. Towa’qwa is pleased by the image of her face. Reaching to touch the face in the water, she is surprised to realize that the image is now not her own. The reflection of a creature’s face, unlike anything she has seen, appears over her own, like a mask over her face. The now familiar warm wave of love washes over her again. “It is a sign!” Ripples return, replacing the creature’s reflection back to her own. While confused, she is not afraid. The Lizard, bear, and ancestors have comforted her today. They are reassurance that all is as it should be.

    Running back to the encampment, she shouts blessings to her grandmothers, who have gifted her the ability of sight. Looking ahead, she can see and hear the Children’s laughter. “Almost home lizard. I hope my father is there!”

Chapter 5

                                                    The shaman’s reveal.

    With the entire village listening in awe, the mesmerized villagers remain calm. They trust Hu’ a’ ka’s premonitions. Interpreting the communication correctly is vital. Should the creatures be malevolent, the misinterpretation could be mortally devastating. An eon of concern regarding impending visitors from the stars would paralyze the people for their lifetimes. In the chief’s wisdom he sends the shaman to the hills. Recording this event while still fresh is imperative. It is vital for the future generations to understand clearly. The return of the blue comet will not be for many generations yet. So much passing time can cloud the stories meant for our children’s children, and the many children to follow.

    Towa’qwa hurries behind her father. “Great father, we must stop. I must know, did you see me today?” With laughter he replies, “of course my wandering hawk, I see you now.” “No, no”, she replies. “Today, with the bear, and your creature?”

    Hu’ a’ ka is haunted by his daughter’s words. “What do you mean, did I see you?” “I saw you father. I felt the warmth of the ancestors. I saw the bear that you said you saw. The creature showed himself to me too. I was with you father.” This is a first for Hu’ a’ ka. Prior spirit visits have been shown to him alone, or so he thought. Now the possibilities are swirling in his mind like eddies on the river. Could she have really been with the spirit walkers and me? There is now an obvious second possibility, that she may have been the spirit invited to meet with the ancestors, and that he was a mere observer? A third thought crosses his mind. Perhaps this was a joint vision where we three were in the spirit world together sharing a vision; the two of us plus the creature? Into his mind comes these spoken words, “time stands as still as the totem. It is this way great shaman, that we may all connect together across the universe’s plains. As long as all are open and seeking the signs, it will remain so.” Whispering to the heavens, “so the creature, myself, and my daughter, we were synchronized in vision? The creature saw us too?” A wave of joy vibrates through him. A loving confirmation from the ancestors living in the spirit world. In his mind he hears, “you are one.” As words spoken, it is true, and this he understands.

    “Come here little hawk, and bring your little lizard with you. We will slow down our walk to the caves. I need to hear all of the details of your first spirit journey. A shaman’s day of awakening must be announced and enjoyed! I am proud that you are open to receiving the signs. I am prouder that you are open to understanding the gifts. You have already achieved heights that I am now only able to. I see the great shaman in you.” As the father, daughter, and tiny spirit protector enter the cave, the happy father grasps little wandering hawk’s hand and holds it tight. “Yes, my wise daughter, we were connected in the vision. You, me and the creature, we are all one beautiful energy. Remember what you have learned. Remember what the signs felt like. It is most important to remember that we, as gifted shaman, one day too will be the Muteesa, connecting all kind from the universe for the greatest good. Learn well in this life. You will carry the knowledge of this life into the next. The messages from great shaman become legendary.”

    Lovingly, Towa’qwa squeezes her father’s hand in reply. Putting her other hand into her sack, she pats her new friend’s cool skin. “Hear that lizard friend, we are family. That means that you can live with me. I want to warn you first, it’s going to get interesting, now that I am awake. We will have many strange travels together. Are you up for that? Father also said that for all of eternity that we will be able meet. That day is when I move from my family to live in the spirit walker’s world. That surely will be wonderful. It’s a forever journey, together with you, my new family, I am not just the receiver, I am the connector. We are one.”

July 23, 2021 22:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.