Like Mother Like Daughter

Submitted into Contest #84 in response to: Write a story that spans exactly a year and takes place in a single room.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Sad

They would be seventeen today. My twin daughters.

Seventeen whole years in a world I knew they are safe in. It was the best decision for them after all.

I sat on my cushioned stool, a leg tucked under me staring out the window as the sunlight shined in on me warming my skin. I blinked and soaked up the heat like a reptile taking a sun bath.

"So, this how you're going to spend this day again?" Sable leans against my doorway . The door was closed before for a reason. Privacy didn't exist for me. It never had. I couldn't complain. I wasn't hiding anything and at this point I'm used to never being out of her sight. That's what I got for becoming independent.

I shrugged, "You know this is how I spend my time on my daughter's birthdays."

"They aren't your daughters. They never were. How many times do I have to remind you?"

Not enough, evidently.

"I heard that." Sable growled.

"I know." I replied with no reaction. I didn't turn to her, and continued staring out the window basking in the sun.

"As long as you know." I could feel her yellow eyes on me until she decided to leave. How could I forget? I'm glad they don't have to meet her. As long as my sister Riven kept her mouth shut and continued to keep an eye on them-and only that.

Finally, I heard the poking at my window I was waiting for. Sitting up I pushed open my circular window to let the mouse into my room. Sable made sure I couldn't use my magic to escape. My room is laced with ivy which repels magic. The lucky thing is Sable cast it to make sure only I couldn't use my magic. Not anyone else. I found that out when Riven tried to sneak in unplanned. So, she's been doing everyday since. Every day at sundown. The only time when Sable is preoccupied with whatever she does. Probably casting hate spells on innocent shifters.

I shut the window and Riven shifted on my desk into a sitting position.

"Get down, please." I said like we've done this before.

"Ok, bossy." Her boots planted quietly on my wooden floor so no noise emanated from her feet. She flips her bright red hair, green eyes flickered down at me.

"You don't need to keep reminding me I'm shorter than you." I stood up looking at her.

"I am wearing books that make me three inches taller." She smirked with pride. She always loved being able to size up against me. It was just to make sure I knew I would always smaller, even though I'm the older one. I think its just to make her feel better about herself.

"How are they?"

"Nothing different. Same as usual. Their Dad is working over time. Another mandatory surgery."

Rolling my eyes, I pinched the bridge of my nose annoyed, "He always does this. I wish he would spend some time with them."

"He does, don't worry." Riven reassured me sitting on my bed. My eyes were drawn to the scar across her eye. Sable's warning to me of what she was capable of. It will never heal. A daily reminder not to cross her.

"Can you..."

"You don't have to ask, you should know that at this point." Riven pat the bed for me to sit next to her. I moved across the room barefooted in my striped shorts and sit next to her. Closing my eyes, I put two fingers against the middle of her forehead. Riven's gift is the ability to reply her memories like a movie. She never forgets anything. Every shifter has their own unique power, hers just happened to be a gift and a curse.

She would never forget what Sable did to her.

She would never forget the glow of her yellow eyes as her cold, bony hand wrapped around her throat.

She would never forget the claw dripping black acidic poison as it dug itself deep into her skin and over her eye.

I would never forget having to watch.

She let me see today's memory.

"No freaking way! He kissed you?!"

Zoreida nods with a grin.

"How was it?"

"Good enough that we made out." Her beautiful dimples puncture her round cheeks as she squeezes her stuffed bunny.

"In the back of his car?"

"Yup."

"In the graffiti alley?"

"Yes sir."

"You're gross." Addison pushes her playfully and they continue to laugh talking about the boy I thankfully couldn't lay hands on since I was trapped here.

The memory ends and I took my hand away from Scarlet's forehead with a smile on my face.

"Happy?" Riven asked.

I nod, then the detachment slowly sank into my chest. The realization I had every day that I would never be able to experience a relationship with my own kids. They were becoming young women.

"Why did this happen?" I asked.

"Because Sable is heartless." Riven wiped a tear away I didn't want to confess I shed, "It'll be okay. I promise." Riven continued to hold me until I fell asleep in her arms.

. . .

They would be 18 today. My twin daughters.

Riven came through my window again.

I played another memory.

They were sleeping in the same bed. Addison had a nightmare and decided to crawl into bed with Zoreida. They were so peaceful. As if they were fine without me.

The tears didn't stop this time. The wall that I build began to collapse around me. Something inside me had snapped, and so did something in Riven.

"You are going to see them." Riven declared and stood up.

"W-what? No, I can't."

"Yes, you can. Because I am going to bring them here."

"I told you not to expose yourself to them. Do you know what this will do?" I hiss, "Sable will kill you."

"She may corrupt my body but she will never corrupt my soul." Riven's eyes begin to glow, "I will bring them here. I will fix this. I should have eighteen years ago. I'm sorry sister."

"Riven please-"

"They have magic." That is the sentence that stopped me.

"They...what?"

"They have magic, Amber. Why do you think Sable separated you guys?"

"I thought humans couldn't carry our magic. Their bodies can't handle it."

"Well, they can. Zoreida can feel other's emotions, and Addison? She..." Riven stared at the floor.

"What is it, Riven?" I spat impatient.

"She has strength, and...anger issues."

The blood drained from my face. Super strength combined with rage never ended well. I've seen how it destroyed shifters who couldn't control their powers. Why...why my daughter?

The only factor that made it worse was that it was the same anger Sable carried.

Addison and Zoey's-I shuddered-grandmother.

My mother.

I never called her mother. Neither did Riven. She was never a mother to us and never would be. I don't think Sable cared-ever. She never got mad when we refused to call her mother.

Just like how she never claimed us as her daughters.

March 08, 2021 22:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.