Ten Second Death (A Breonna Taylor Story)

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

36 comments

African American Creative Nonfiction Drama



They say...when you die, your life flashes before your eyes. I think that life should flash before your eyes while you’re still living, so you can always treasure the good times. But as five loud bangs shatter my eardrums, and find their way into my body, I finally understand that saying. Memories I didn’t know I had fly to the forefront of my mind. 

I see myself as a baby, a handheld camera in my face as I utter my first words. Tears of joy slide down my mom’s face as she strokes my cheek tenderly. I didn’t know exactly how warm and precious her hands were then. But I do now. 

I see myself as a toddler on Christmas morning, my dad holding the back seat of my new bike. At seven, the training wheels came off, and I hear my younger self wail in pain as my bare knees meet the concrete. My dad scoops me up and seals my band-aid with a kiss. I didn’t know how much of a superhero he was. But I do now. 

I see myself at eleven, starting middle school. The typical bullies who liked to push the underdog, kids like me, off of the playground. I hear my fierce thoughts, “I’m gonna show them one day.” And I would. I did. But instead of showing them that one day I would take the stage, I showed them the ugly side of my world. The unfair, unjust, biased, side of my world. The side everyone wants to keep hidden. Yet no one has the courage to erase or fix. I didn’t have the courage to fix it myself. I didn’t know if I could. How I could. I saw the protests. I saw the social media advocates. But I also saw the countless faces that looked like me. Like my family. And they all blurred together. I became desensitized and turned a cheek whenever an injustice hit my community. I didn’t see how real the problem was. But I do now. 

I feel my mother stroking my hair at fourteen, as I cry into a pillow. Thinking that one boy not taking me to the dance was the end of the world. I thought I knew pain then, turns out I didn’t. But I do now.

I see myself at seventeen, walking across the stage, becoming the first in my family to graduate high school. Throwing my cap up into the air, watching it glide in the wind and fall back down into my arms. My heart filled with happiness as my mother hugged me, tears of joy streaming down her face. Then I didn’t realize how much I loved her hugs, how much they meant to me. But I do now. 

I see myself a year later, at eighteen, ripping open the acceptance letter from the University of Kentucky. More tears of joy from the various faces around the room. Faces I’ll never see again. I didn’t realize how much I loved being surrounded by my family. How truly amazing it felt to have people in your corner, supporting you no matter what the world threw at you. But I do now.

I see myself at twenty-five, happy with my life saving others. Giving hope to people who had lost it all. Returning people to their homes. Mending wounds. Putting families back together. Some people don’t see the power being an EMT. I didn’t either. But I do now.

I see myself now. Slowly losing feeling in my body, as those five loud sounds crawl their way further into my abdomen. I see myself now as chaos swarms around the room I slept in countless nights. I see myself now as a voice, that was once soothing, rasps in my ear, telling me everything will be okay. I see myself now, knowing that everything won’t be okay. I see myself now, closing my eyes for the last time and I think of the future I could’ve had.

I think about what would’ve happened if I wasn’t the girl facing her death, if it was another young black woman unjustly shot to death. How different that would be. Death is such a permanent state and in a way, it seems like a myth. No one can ever recount death, so you when your time comes, on time or earlier, you never know what to expect. 

 My mind wanders forward, into the future, all aspects of it that I’ll never get to experience. I remember Kenneth, because all he is is a memory now. I wonder if we would’ve gotten married. Or if he would’ve moved on from me to someone else, like he inevitably will now. Just because the world stopped moving for me, doesn’t mean it will stop moving for him. Or anyone else. I want him to move on to live a good life, a full life. To live for the both of us. In a perfect universe, he’d be able to live in a fair world. But we all know that’s not possible. 

I think about the long african print dress would’ve trailed behind me, if we would’ve had the chance to stay together. But now that dress will belong to someone else. I think about the house we could’ve bought together. But now that house will belong to someone else. I think about the kids we could’ve had. The changes they would’ve made in the world. The movements they would’ve started. The dreams they would’ve achieved. But now those beings will never have the chance. The possibilities are both endless and limited at the same time. The world is full of opportunities that I won’t be able to experience. But thinking negatively doesn’t change death. It’ll come soon enough for all of us.

I think back to those girls who bullied me in middle school. I wanted to change the world. To show them that I would rise up above their shallow personas. Above the masks that they wore. And I think I’ve done that. I’ve shown them that they did not break me. I’ve shown them that death changes people. Changes communities. And starts movements. I’ve shown them that I have, that I can, and that I will rise. 


January 02, 2021 02:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Cookie Carla🍪
16:56 Jan 07, 2021

The story touched my heart to the point of tears. Not a lot of people think about these things when they hear about police brutality or racism or black lives in general. I've been working on trying to incorporate more of the problems we face now like racism, abuse, and such into my writing but I don't think I couldn't written it as well as you did. Thank you so much for bringing this story to life. You really did an amazing job!!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
18:13 Jan 07, 2021

I'm so glad that you connected with the story! I've also been trying to write more about injustices and things we face and decided to use one that was I was very passionate about and hit close to home in a way. If you ever get those stories out let me know and I'll be more than happy to read them. Thanks so much for taking the time to read. Keep writing! -Mj P.S. Thanks for the recognition in your Author Bio! My font on my username is weird but it's MJS not MLN 😉

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
21:55 Jan 07, 2021

I'm sorry I was going off of memory and forgot the 3 letters😅😅 I'll fix it... But you're welcome for the feedback!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
03:09 Jan 02, 2021

Wow, Mj! Just no words, this was a piece of art and I love the way you illustrated it. Beautiful work and welcome back to Reedsy! -Lily

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
08:16 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you so much! I had the help of an amazing author *cough cough* and she really helped me bring the details into the story. Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
07:18 Jan 03, 2021

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
🄼🄹 🅂
02:24 Jan 02, 2021

Hey everyone! It's been ages since I've submitted a story on Reedsy and I missed it. I hope you all enjoy reading this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. Let me know what you guys think and what suggestions you have for future stories. You guys always have the best ideas. Happy New Year as well! Have an amazing 2021. Stay safe, stay strong, believe in yourselves, and keep writing! -Mj

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
17:58 Jan 15, 2021

Hey, Mj. I just wanted to let you know that I submitted a story you 𝘮𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 want to check out... ;)

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
19:13 Jan 15, 2021

Ooh yay! I'll check it out as soonnnnn as I can! Can't wait! -Mj

Reply

Lilliane Wei
19:19 Jan 15, 2021

Tysm!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:03 Jan 12, 2021

Powerful! The rhythm gives this so much strength; This needs to be more popular now.

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
22:13 Jan 12, 2021

Thank you very much! I definitely want to get the word out because like you said, it's strong and I think it could really impact people. If you like it you could help me! I'll hopefully have some more pieces like this out soon. Thanks and keep writing! -Mj

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
06:56 Jan 09, 2021

Hey, Mj. I'm going to attempt to write a story for either these prompts or next week's and I want to include some of my Reedsy friends. If it's okay with you can I get your... Hair(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Eyes(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Clothing preferences(anything from color preferences to exact outfits is fine): Personality: Fav Color(if you want multiple, please choose up to two): Reaction if you discovered one of your best friends betrayed you: Please note th...

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
08:47 Jan 10, 2021

Ooooohhh this is awesome!! I'm down. Hair: Black, shoulder length bushy curls Eyes: Deep brown eyes that glow in the sun (hehe love the details) Clothing: I look good in everything 😉 But to make your job easier, I like leggings, oversized shirts, and Vans Personality: Favorite color is lavender but really all purples. Sensitive, ambitious, resilient. Reaction: Definitely hurt and ready for revenge or ready to cut them from my life. Power: Invisibility, Telekinesis, or an Elemental power: Water *wink wink* (You can choose one) Let me know...

Reply

Lilliane Wei
08:50 Jan 10, 2021

Wow does that big head of yours fit into any hats by any chance? And also, wow, two of the three people I've asked for their reaction said all fire and ice, no regrets. And, thanks, M! I'll be sure to let you know if I need anything else and when I submit the story!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
09:06 Jan 10, 2021

Yes ma'am, my big head loves beanies. 😁

Reply

Lilliane Wei
09:07 Jan 10, 2021

If you say.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:54 Jan 02, 2021

Wow! This is so creative and I love it. Just a gorgeous, emotional, sad-but-uplifting-end story. The ‘ But I do now.’ repetition is amazing and the end is gold...awesome job!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
04:39 Jan 03, 2021

Thank you so much! That means a lot. My friend Lillian Brooks (who changes her name quote often as you may know) suggested the repetition and I'm so glad I listened to her. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
05:58 Jan 03, 2021

It was your idea in the first place. I just encouraged more repeats. Also, trusting me is always a good idea. Nothing could ever go wrong blindly trusting me...trust me. 😈 Also, I change my name quote?

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
06:19 Jan 03, 2021

Nothing could ever go wrong, eh? I wouldn't be too sure about that....And changing your name, *clears throat* Whirl, Fleur, Lillian...

Reply

Lilliane Wei
06:35 Jan 03, 2021

That's three names. For you I count at least four, not counting the changing fonts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
06:44 Jan 03, 2021

Also, sorry for bombing your conversation, Aerin.

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
07:24 Jan 03, 2021

Lol, indeed, sorry Aerin. And I knowwww I change my name. I never said anything was wrong with it now did I? I simply mentioned it

Reply

Lilliane Wei
07:33 Jan 03, 2021

Did I say there was something wrong with it?

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
07:35 Jan 03, 2021

Not directly, but I made an educated guess from the way you also brought up the changing of my name.

Reply

Lilliane Wei
07:37 Jan 03, 2021

Perhaps not such an educated guess since your assumption seems to be inaccurate.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.