The Monster

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

Anxiously, you stare at the wall clock, praying the hands to move slowly.


Beads of sweats have formed on your forehead, as your breathing becomes heavy with every tickling of the clock's hands.


Sitting on the edge of your bed, you throw glances at the clock and at the door.


It starts again, for the seventh time. You're unable to control it, and afraid if it will happen again. The trembling, you can feel it from your head to your legs.


You endure the uncontrollable shaking which is followed by a thrusting pain in your hands and legs.


You resist the urge to look at the clock. What will happen if the hour clock hits twelve? Will it be the end of your life?


From the corner of your eyes, you see a darkened form. You redirect your look from the clock to the monster. At a height of about 8 feet, it looks mascular than the most heaviest man in the world. Its eyes, large, round and reddish stare at you.


You close your eyes, hoping it's just a dream. Opening them, they're met with the penetrating eyes of the dark figure that has sat on a wooden chair at the corner of your bedroom.


A fear you've never experienced in your life takes captive of the little strength that was left in you. You feel weak to your knees. You try to call your wife who is fast asleep, but the words are not coming out of your mouth in an audible voice. Just a whisper.


You can't turn your head to face your wife nor move your hands. What you were afraid of was right before your eyes.


Nooooo...you scream inwardly. This is just a dream. It's not real. You convince yourself but every time you open your eyes, you see the creature.


"John, I have come to take you," it says.


You try to reply that it's insane to say something like that, but the words don't come out.


"You're now my prisoner," it says. "What you had enlisted for has come to an end. It's time to go home to serve your master for eternity."


It smiles then looks at the clock. "When the minute hand halts at thirty minutes past twelve, I will drag you to the underworld where you now belong," it says.


Laughing, it leans on the chair and drills its eyes at mine. "You are ours," it says.


You wonder what you'll do to get rid of the monster. You're now convinced you aren't asleep in your dreams or daydreaming. You can see it with your eyes. But how did it enter in the room? You didn't hear the noise of the door being opened and closed.


Your Nokia smartphone rings but you're unable to pick it up from the table, and answer the call. You hope your wife will hear it and wake up. To your dismay, she is fast asleep, unaware at the condition you're in.


When the minute hand lands at thirty, the monster stands up. You feel your heart beating at an incredible speed, afraid it will rapture and cause an unexpected death.


The monster standing before you, leans slightly forward and glares at you. The odour, you now realize, was emanating from the monster. It smelled like a burnt human body.


"It's time to go," it says.


You look at it with terrified eyes. You can't make out whether the covering of its form is made up of flesh, skin or something else. It is spongy, filled with mucous and yellowish stuff.


Feeling numb and breathing heavily, you are gripped with an unimaginable fear as it grips your hand. With the little energy you didn't know existed, you scream, "Jesus, please help me. I don't want to go to the underworld."


Suddenly, a bright white light shines in the room. You make out a human form clothed with a white garment. Its eyes appear as flames of fire, and on its right hand, it is holding a sword.


The monster turns to look at the light that had appeared in the room. "What do you want?" It says in an authoritative voice.


"You leave that young man alone," the human form says.


"It's mine. It belongs to me. You can't claim he is yours," the monster says.


"I won't tell you again, leave him alone. You heard him calling my name to come and save him," the human form says.


"But, he asked for our assistance. And now, his time here on earth has come to an end."


The human figure points the sword it's holding at the monster. "If you want to feel the joy of this sword, go ahead."


The monster, anger written on its face, looks at you, then at the human form, and disappears.


You feel peace radiating in the room, the fear no longer holding an unexplainable hold of your being. The sweating had ceased.


The human form smiles. "The monster was a demon. It had come to take you to the underworld because you had made a blood covenant with it. Break the covenant and get your life right," it says.


The light vanishes from the room. In its place is the normal light of the sun, some of its rays penetrating through the window. The world appears lively as you can hear voices of people and sounds that you're accustomed to.


"What time is it?" You hear your wife asking you.


"No way," she says. "I was supposed to be off to work at nine."


"Why didn't you wake me up?" she asks as she jumps from the bed.


Frozen at the door, her right hand holding the knob of the door, she asks, "What's wrong with you? Why do you look frightened?"


"I can't continue in that business," you say, your words coming out as a whisper.


"I'm not getting you," she says. "What job?"


"The demon came for me. I saw it with my own eyes. I can't continue in that job anymore. I'm resigning today," you say.


Your wife releases her hold of the knob and walks towards you. Sitting besides you, she looks at you. She doesn't say anything.


Her right hand weaves through your hair then rests on your left shoulder. "Tell me everything and why your whole body is smelling of sweat," she says.


"Okay, I'll tell you everything," you say, looking at her deep-set brown eyes as thoughts of whether you've been always having a supernatural gift of seen creatures in the spiritual realm without knowing.

July 03, 2020 11:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.