Jane Says

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Start your story with a character in despair.... view prompt

56 comments

Creative Nonfiction

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Suicide, addiction, sexual assault


I had no idea at the time that I was falling in love with a dying man.

Head resting on the glass window pane as I drove silently through the night, he slurred more to himself than to me, "St. Christopher sent you. You're my very own patron saint. I don't deserve you."

The more he mumbled in appreciation, the more I wanted to scream. He was right about one thing, he didn't deserve me. A few years clean when we met, I didn’t know he struggled with a lifelong addiction until he relapsed. By then, it was too late. I was already in love.

Naive and ill-equipped, I cannot overstate the depth of my misunderstanding regarding the use of intravenous drugs.

I drove for four hours in the middle of the night to pick him up after spending the previous three days trying to track him down. When he finally answered his phone, he was scared, panicking on the other line. 

My heart dropped into my stomach, and after arguing and threatening loss of limb, I convinced him to give me his location, nervous about that tinge of vulnerability in his voice. I was in the car within minutes, speeding down I35, the long, lonely Texas highway that severs the state. 

As high as he was, when the sun came up, and I pulled back into my driveway, I thought we had one of the best, most honest conversations we'd ever had. Except, and I recycle this revelation now and again: it was all bullshit. We didn't connect on a deeper level. He was so high he could barely function, cooing words he thought I wanted or needed to hear. Maybe they weren't meaningless, but they were hollow. 

It was always that first hit that was best, he explained. It made his stomach warm, his body relaxed; sometimes, he craved sweets. He told me that's where the term junkie came from, but he was high when he said it, so I don't know if that's true. I knew it was unhealthy and dangerous, but I didn't initially understand, so instead of being repulsed, I listened to his musings with a sick kind of curiosity when he described the feeling. That was before I knew the signs: pupils the size of pinpricks, voice high and light, lies so real I believed them.

The first time I saw him get arrested for some petty crime or other, the arresting officer came to find me waiting in the parking lot while I sat there like an idiot, wondering where he went, assuming, like usual, he was off getting high in the public bathroom.

The cop told me point blank to leave him. “He’s bad news. Got a rap sheet a mile long.” But you didn't leave someone you truly loved just because they had an addiction or a sordid past. I hadn’t reached my boiling point yet, anyway.

When we met, we’d bonded over having immigrant families. He’d cook his mother's tamales while we shared a love of good coffee, punk music, and spicy food. His family hailed from Chihuahua and was full of famous flamenco dancers and street musicians. We were the same height—short—and he was twelve years older than my twenty-two. We were a bit of an odd pair. He liked my tattoos, and I liked his tattoos, and it never occurred to me that the script in Spanish across his chest, translating to life is no more, was some scribed prophecy.

When he spoke of his family, it was with longing and self-shame. He felt they outshined him, that they walked around stable, brilliant and happy, unsullied by harsh living. He was the dirty penny, the one who stomped through the mud puddle but couldn’t get clean, even when it rained.

I had assumed his suicidal ideations were a result of the drug use, a symptom of the downtrodden life he'd led and the seemingly impossible task of getting clean, but that wasn't true. It started earlier than that, when he was thirteen, and his older cousin shot him full of heroin so he could have his way with a pliable victim. The abuse went on for years and didn't stop because of some big dramatic event. They just got older, and by then, he was a full blown addict. That’s when I realized the two were inextricably linked—his wish for death and the clutch of his heroin addiction.

It wasn’t an accumulation of all the terrible things he did that made me leave him, otherwise I’d have been gone much sooner. It wasn’t that time he shoved me into a wall or tried to convince me to sleep with his friend in exchange for drugs. It wasn’t that time he stole my car—which we were living out of—only to have it stolen by someone else because he got high and passed out or that time he dragged me to every border town from Mexicali to Juárez to Tijuana, leaving me alone in a cafe watching young girls across the street sell their bodies to aging men while he stocked up on supplies. It wasn't the dozens of times he took me into dangerous situations where I watched people get stabbed or high or beaten, or that one time he stole thousands of dollars from his friends then left me alone with them, not having any clue what he'd done or even any of the many times he'd stolen money from me.

It was the time he asked me to shoot up with him. 

It had been a hard line, a firm stance he’d taken previously. But as time passed, he said he wanted me to finally understand what it felt like, that only then could I truly comprehend how good it felt and how intense the pain of not using could be. He was sick of me trying to get him back into rehab.

Inherently, the sentiment was inside out and backward, but I didn’t cry, shout, or scream. I just said, “No thanks.”

Leaving someone you love is really hard. Leaving someone you love when you know they’ll get worse without you is harder. But I couldn't stay. So I didn't. 

I left so fast and so hard, I put states between us.

Three months later, he was dead. 

A friend from Texas called to break the news, and I still recall the conversation with perfect clarity. The phone rang, and I broke out in a sweat, my nerves sensitive beneath my skin, like that feeling you get just before a fever settles in and wrecks you. Hot, cold, wet, chilled. Heart racing, palms sweating, throat dry.

“Are you sitting down? I need to tell you something.”

My exact response: “He's dead, isn't he?”

I didn’t have some existential experience or feel a change in the air. I just knew.

“How did you..? Yeah, he killed himself. There's umm, there's a memorial—”

"I have to get back to work." 

I didn't cry. I still haven’t. Guilt consumed me for months because all I felt was relief. His life was a tragedy, his brother used to say. I don't think that's true, but I was glad he no longer suffered living because he hated it. His despair was in having to wake up each day and carry on with existing. They say, for many addicts, and this was true for him, that happiness is a trigger. What do you do when even the joyous moments in life cause pain?

A year after he died, my uncle, who had a problem with pills and sex, shot himself in the head. A year after that, my other uncle, who struggled with a gambling addiction, jumped off a bridge and died. The Patriots lost that year. A few years after that, my cousin, after a back injury, became addicted to opioids, then overdosed on fentanyl in a parking lot. The number of people who have died or been impacted as a result of opioid addiction caused by big pharma, to date, is incalculable.

The other day, I saw this flier floating around online that pinned well-meaning community activists against people who didn't understand addiction. The flier, with a safety kit and infograph was—admittedly—disturbingly enthusiastic, adorned with emojis and thumbs-ups. It had been circulating a local encampment and enraged the locals, who felt like supporters were trying to encourage people to get high, be unhoused, and rely on assistance and government aid. 

As if one might choose anal drug injection not because it was safer since their veins were too blown out to keep ripping into but instead because they chose addiction and all its accouterment for its ease and glory. 

I’m reminded of those days, over a decade ago now, before his relapse. If I was on the outside looking in through a lens unobscured by poisonous memories, and life was just happy and full of good coffee and tamales before the warm belly and pinprick pupils, I know he wouldn't have chosen to cause so much pain if he was in control. 


Dedicated to AG ’76-‘12


June 15, 2024 03:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Malcolm Twigg
07:35 Jul 15, 2024

I honestly don't know what to say. I don't have the remotest inkling of what this experience must have been like. The tag indicates it must have been personal experience, but the way you handled that experience shows immense fortitude - and an ability with words that far transcends anything I can imagine. I feel humbled to have read this.

Reply

Hazel Ide
12:36 Jul 15, 2024

Wow thanks very much Malcolm. I’m far enough in time from the experience that it was easier to focus on the writing- that week all the prompts were pretty heavy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kyle Reed
01:07 Jun 28, 2024

Very honest and relatable. Heart wrenching and real. I like that you tied in the community misunderstanding at the end, but mostly focus on your relationship and the unfortunate death wish he was committed to. I don't know if everyone has had someone in their life that fits this bill, but if they do, they will recognize that you nailed it.

Reply

Hazel Ide
01:51 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you very much for reading. And for mentioning the community aspect at the end, that was actually more my inspiration for the story, it’s such a macro issue, as personal as it feels to anyone going through it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jill Gagnon
14:14 Jun 23, 2024

I loved your first line. Your writing drew me in instantly. Great piece, so real and so sad. I now count myself among the many who have recently lost a loved one to addiction. Your words hit close to home.

Reply

Hazel Ide
17:26 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you for reading Jill. I’m sorry about your loved one. It’s not a club any of us want to be in.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
06:50 Jun 23, 2024

Very hard, very real and very true. One thing I’ve learnt is once someone’s addicted, it’s always hovering in the background waiting to pull them back in. Powerful and moving writing. It also takes courage to pull away from this nightmare which you did. I can relate to the naivety. To say well done doesn’t even touch the surface.

Reply

Hazel Ide
17:25 Jun 23, 2024

Thanks for reading Helen. I agree, it’s always hovering, regardless of the type of addiction. And with the mental health crisis in our world today, the reliance on substance of any kind (like books!) is only growing.

Reply

Helen A Smith
17:33 Jun 23, 2024

For me, it’s the phone I’m writing on right now. I never thought I’d be so into it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sarah W
15:45 Jun 22, 2024

Oh my God, this story... once I started reading, I couldn’t leave it alone. So compelling, and truthful. It felt so raw and real. Absolutely brilliant writing.

Reply

Hazel Ide
16:18 Jun 22, 2024

Thanks for reading, Sarah. I appreciate your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
20:56 Jun 21, 2024

I love this and relate to it so much. Something similar happened to me. I knew someone who passed away, not suicide, but just not the best life choices. Found out the same way you did too, a phone call from a friend, and I almost immediately got this weird feeling of what the call was about. "I had no idea at the time that I was falling in love with a dying man." This line is so powerful. I wondered if it'd be about terminal cancer at first, but when I saw addition, that made the line that much more powerful. Such a relatable though spec...

Reply

Hazel Ide
21:51 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you for your feedback and honest comments, I'm so sorry you had to go through it (at all, but) so recently. I think this would have been harder to write if it had been as recent as your experience, but it's been quite a few years, so having space makes it a lot easier. Everything you shared is spot on for me, too. Admittedly, there were way worse things I didn't add in the story, but yeah, it's amazing the things you put up with when you love someone. I keep thinking about that analogy of the frog in boiling water, when it builds slowl...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
13:18 Jun 21, 2024

Brave story to tell

Reply

Hazel Ide
17:58 Jun 21, 2024

Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
01:48 Jun 21, 2024

Not easy to rise above this turmoil. So glad you managed. Touching tribute. Thanks for liking my story. Thanks for liking 'Fair Lady Charity' Thanks for liking 'Much Ado About Nothing' Glad you liked 'Day The World Changed' And Where's the Elephant 🐘

Reply

Hazel Ide
02:33 Jun 21, 2024

Thanks for reading Mary! I appreciate the comments. I loved your sequel!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:52 Jun 21, 2024

Thanks 😊.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:24 Jun 17, 2024

This is a hard stuff, Hazel. Nicely done.

Reply

Hazel Ide
10:54 Jun 17, 2024

Thank you Darvico.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
08:23 Jun 16, 2024

Hazel, your story is a beautifully crafted piece. Your ability to convey such depth of feeling and the stark realities of love intertwined with despair is truly remarkable. It’s a touching tribute that resonates with honesty and courage. Well done!

Reply

Hazel Ide
09:59 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you very much Jim!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
17:44 Jun 15, 2024

Wow — to write such a powerful, penetrating, perfectly structured tragedy so quickly in response to the prompt demonstrates what a terrific writer you are! “If I was on the outside looking in through a lens unobscured by poisonous memories, and life was just happy and full of good coffee and tamales before the warm belly and pinprick pupils.” That’s a bittersweet gut punch, and the way the best authors do it. Congrats — this is a prizewinner in every sense!

Reply

Hazel Ide
19:02 Jun 15, 2024

Thank you Martin. Admittedly, a piece of this had been sitting in a rough draft for a while, something I've wanted to write, so I didn't start from scratch. The prompt was perfect for it, though. I suspect lots of stories this week will be just as intense. I look forward to reading them.

Reply

Martin Ross
22:26 Jun 15, 2024

Got my idea, but fleshing it out may be tough.

Reply

Hazel Ide
22:44 Jun 15, 2024

I’ll keep an eye out.

Reply

Martin Ross
02:01 Jun 16, 2024

😊❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
13:30 Jun 15, 2024

Sorry to see the nonfiction tag. Especially around the sex trade stuff. Despair is, unfortunately, the exact feeling around addiction, for both the addict and their loved ones. It's an impossibly heartbreaking illness. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Hazel Ide
15:21 Jun 15, 2024

Thanks for reading, Anne. Yeah, I don't think people realize how common it is. I was shocked, just sitting there watching these girls who couldn't have been more than thirteen or fourteen. Right there, out in the open, right across the bridge(s), lining up outside of clubs. Unfortunately, it's extremely common. This weeks prompts are pretty dark, I think we'll see some interesting stories. I can't think of a better word for addiction than despair.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:40 Jun 15, 2024

That is devastating. I can't even fathom, especially as a mom 🥺 Usually I love the darker genres but when I was brainstorming ideas, I came up with a comedy 😅 Not sure where I'll land this week or if I'll have writing time. Should be interesting

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
00:49 Jul 13, 2024

A skillfully written tragic story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
David McCahan
11:39 Jun 28, 2024

Honest and brutal and so well written. I realized only afterwards that I had been holding my breath for the majority of reading it. A brilliant piece of writing!

Reply

Hazel Ide
13:44 Jun 28, 2024

Aw, wow that’s a nice compliment! Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
05:13 Jun 27, 2024

Excellent writing, painful to read. Truly authentic and full of verve and power. You are seriously awesome and this was very real and disturbing and enlightening and heart-breaking and captures all the despair and hopelessness of addiction, I think. Thank you for sharing your talent. Looking forward to hearing more of your voice. Very nicely done.

Reply

Hazel Ide
13:43 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you for reading and commenting. When the prompt came out, this memory came to mind first. There is a lot of despair with addiction, for everyone involved. It’s like a tornado in its wreckage.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Madeline Stevens
18:41 Jun 26, 2024

This story gave me actual shivers. It was so raw, and real. I've been brought to tears.

Reply

Hazel Ide
22:38 Jun 26, 2024

Thank you for reading, Madeline

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:08 Jun 24, 2024

Kind of speechless. So powerful and devastating. This really sums it up: I know he wouldn't have chosen to cause so much pain if he was in control.  Bravo

Reply

Hazel Ide
22:56 Jun 24, 2024

Thanks for reading Derrick. That line meant a lot to me too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AR R
15:02 Jun 24, 2024

This is a beautifully written story about a tough subject. Great work. It's sticky - I can't shake it. But that's a good sign.

Reply

Hazel Ide
22:55 Jun 24, 2024

Thank you for the read. It’s definitely sticky, that’s a good description…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Lueck
11:12 Jun 24, 2024

This was a very well-written, powerful, AND informative story. I had no idea that happiness was a trigger. And it's really sad how drug addiction has such a grip on people. It's painful to watch loved ones (and strangers) completely change and deteriorate. Thank you for sharing your story.

Reply

Hazel Ide
14:02 Jun 24, 2024

I should have clarified more in the story, calling it happiness was a little reductive of me, it’s definitely more complicated/layered than that, but yes, it is true. And sad... Thanks for reading Martha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:42 Jun 23, 2024

I'm sorry that you went through this. Fantastic writing - authentic, raw, sensitive and utterly compelling.

Reply

Hazel Ide
17:25 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you for reading Melissa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.