TSD 3: Adventure Awaits

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write a story set in the summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.... view prompt

139 comments

Fiction

The warm winds of summer whistled around her ears, tugging at her mane of golden brown curls as Maya looked out over the ocean. Gentle waves crashed on the beach, sending up a sparkling spray of cool ocean water which made her wonder what it would be like to be a Water Elemental. The seas wouldn’t merely be a beautiful world of the unknown, but a resource that she could bend to her will. 

The town of Kiwali’a was so isolated from the rest of the empire, that barely anything had changed when they had been conquered. Walking around, the only sign of the emperor’s hand was an elegant beach house that stretched across a large portion of the beach. The emperor had had it built as a vacation home but had yet to use it. 

Kiwali’a was a peaceful and serene getaway with its soft, white sands and clear blue waves. But to Maya’s adventurous spirit, the town was just an extent of where her adventures would take her. She longed for the day when she could leave her home behind and journey through the Empire, meeting new people and exploring new lands. 

Maya was already seventeen and ready to explore, but there was something about her coastal home that kept her there. Her parents knew she wanted to explore and supported her through thick and thin. She knew she would miss them, but it wasn’t they that held her back. Something else kept her at the small, quaint town she called home.

Then something small and wet alighted upon her nose, startling her out of her thoughts. Maya let out a surprised yelp. It was a snowflake, she’d seen them in books before but never herself. Her head turned to the clear blue skies as more tiny little snowflakes fell from above, most melting before touching the ground. 

A Snow Elemental. Maya inhaled sharply; she had never seen one at work. she turned to face inland, her brilliant green eyes searching for the source of this wondrous occurrence. They quickly alighted upon a mini snowstorm swirling just beyond the edge of the forest a few miles from Kiwali’a. 

Before her brain even registered it, she’d drawn her wand, prepared to teleport to the forest for a closer look. She took a deep breath, forcing herself to stop and think. Running into a snowstorm was dangerous. Especially for her, she had never even seen snow before today. But a small voice in her head whispered that adventure was out there and she was missing it. That tipped the scales and, taking a deep breath, Maya raised her wand and teleported to the forest’s outskirts. She stowed her wand and jogged into the forest, the prospect of adventure shot adrenaline through her body and made her giddy with excitement.

Venturing further into the storm, Maya shivered, the temperature had dropped dramatically, making her wish she had a coat. She had no idea how to cast a spell to keep her warm, there was never any need to learn. The best she could do was cast a clarity spell to allow her eyes to pick up more detail, not just the seemingly impenetrable wall of swirling snow. As she hurried towards the center of the storm, doubt started to trickle in and she wondered if she had made the right decision. 

Maya shoved the thoughts out of her head and pushed onwards determinedly. Only a few steps further brought her into a small clearing. The storm seemed different here, not as thick and hazy but more cumbersome to trek through. The sounds of the storm also seemed muted, letting the sounds of steel against steel carry easily to her ears. 

Immediately, almost instinctively, her wand traced a concealment spell, rendering her completely invisible. It was a difficult spell and one she knew that many Sorcerers failed to accomplish, but Maya had always been fascinated with concealment and that was the area of sorcery she had spent the most time practicing. By now, her concealment spells were so powerful that only the strongest, most dedicated Sorcerers would be able to find her.

Figures drew her gaze as she glanced around, curiosity and exhilaration quickening her pulse. There were six figures in all and it looked like a very unfair fight between five black-clothed figures against a solitary figure in a white top. Maya squinted into the snow, making out a dark head of hair and a lithe, athletic body of a woman. Even to her inexperienced eyes, the difference in their movements was crystal clear. The figures in black seemed to be weighed down by the storm, their movements seemed labored and hindered. The woman, on the other hand, didn’t seem to be weighed down at all. If anything, her movements seemed to be enhanced. She moved with the easy grace of an athlete, weaving through the dark shapes with a stunning amount of speed and nimbleness. But she didn’t move fluidly; her movements were sharp and sudden, not at all fluid or elegant. Nevertheless, her movements were far superior to her opponents. 

For a moment fear crowded her mind as she took in the deadly weapons of the figures before her. But Maya found herself creeping forward, fascinated by the clash of steel on steel and the deadly dance of the fighters. 

A loud screech drew her attention upwards to where three blue-grey falcons were unleashing merciless attacks upon a snowy-white owl that Maya could barely make out against the white backdrop of snow. One thing Maya found odd was that the owl’s feathers seemed to have teal tips with no connection to its other colors. 

The owl was outnumbered but it seemed to be holding its own, keeping the falcons apart with its razor-sharp claws and hooked beak. The birds dived, soared, and struck, mirroring the battle taking place below them. Maya watched as the owl, with a well-placed shove, knocked one of the falcons out of the air and she watched it plummet towards the ground. Hesitating for only a moment, Maya whipped out her wand and whispered an incantation, slowing the bird’s fall from the skies. It landed in a large snowdrift beside the fighters on the ground.

Their number had almost halved in the time Maya had spent watching the sky and now only the dark-haired woman and three others still fought. Even as she watched another of the black-clothed figures crumpled to the ground. Another went down moments later to a surprise strike to their leg. 

Maya let out a faint squeak as a tiger fell from the sky, crushing the final black garnetted figure under its weight. The entire animal was pure white with jet black stripes and fierce grey-blue eyes. There was one oddity to the animal, the very tip of its tail was a dark teal color, just a spot of color on the otherwise completely black and white animal. At the sound from Maya, it turned its head in her direction, head cocked, ears pricked. It crept towards her slowly but was distracted when another woman teleported just to its left. 

This woman was tall with dark skin and hair, and a Sorcerer. The tiger turned and bounded back to her, changing as it did into a lovely blond Shapeshifter with teal tipped hair and a black cloak. Even from where Maya stood, she heard the woman’s clear voice ring out clearly through the cool air. “Snow. It had to be snow. Summertime means clear skies, warm weather, beautiful beaches. Not snow, never snow.” 

The Sorcerer just shook her head and, with a quick flick of her wand, the temperature rose quickly back to its usual tropical temperature. The woman in white raised her hands and the storm clouds in the sky disappeared; an Elemental. They conversed in hushed tones for a few moments before walking around, tying up their captives. When they finished tying the final one, the Elemental traced a symbol in the air, and looking down, Maya found the silhouette of a soaring dragon tattooed on to the earth. She held in a gasp because even as isolated as she was, even she knew the Soaring Dragons. Maya doubted there was a man, woman, or child in the empire who did not. She looked up, only in time to see the three figures teleport away.

Left in the clearing alone, Maya stood frozen to her place, awe still coursing through her. Vaguely she felt her invisibility melt off her like a second skin as her energy expired. Her energy thoroughly depleted, she trudged back home by foot.

When she entered her family’s clothes shop, most of her initial shock had faded away, leaving a euphoric feeling. Maya danced through the shop, her thoughts whirling but all focused on one distinct feeling that she had crossed a threshold and she would never go back. 

~*~

“Maya!”

“Coming, Mom!” 

The girl in question was currently pulling on a pair of lavender shorts and a white tank top with gold embroidery. Of all the clothes they made and sold, those were her favorites. Maya ran down the stairs of her family’s house and through the living room. When she burst into the shop, her cheeks were flushed with exertion and her eyes were clear and bright. Yesterday’s excitement had yet to leave her. “Hey, Mom!”

“Good morning, sleep well?” Her mom gave her a quick hug and led her to where a pair of women conversed together. “I have these two customers that I’d like you to help out if you don’t mind.”

“Of course not, M-mom,” Maya faltered as the girls turned. They were the Shapeshifter and Elemental from the storm. She had a head of jet black hair and wore a crisp mint colored shirt. But her hair still bore its blue tips and her eyes were still a stormy blue. The Elemental was the same, obviously, with waves of dark hair and tanned skin but upon closer inspection, her brown eyes were as cold as ice and set into a stony face. 

Maya fixed her face into a smile, employing all her years as an assistant shopkeeper to keep it nonchalant and natural. “Good morning, welcome to Emerson's Apparel, how can I help you?”

The Shapeshifter stepped forward grinning brightly, “Hi! I’m Ava. Faith and I are looking to buy some clothes. We’re looking for something along the lines of one size fits clothes. We’re looking to buy a bunch of matching presents for all our aunts and uncles.”

“We may have something like that.” Maya split her attention between helping the two women with their shopping and trying to decide what to do. She settled on what she believed was a neutral question. “May I ask you how long you’re staying? I haven’t seen you around Kiwali’a before.”

“A few days, maybe.” Ava glanced at her counterpart. “What do you think, Faith?”

“Yeah, a few days, we’re not actually staying here in Kiwali’a. We came exploring and decided to visit this town,” Faith said cooly. 

“Be nice, Faith,” Ava chided cheerfully, she turned back to Maya. “She’s just grumpy because I made her come along.”

“Ah, I see.” Maya took a turn and stopped. “How do these look?”

“They look perfect.” Ava grinned winningly as Faith grabbed what looked to be over two dozen of the clothing. Maya wasn’t fooled, she had seen the girl fall from the sky in the form of a tiger and crush a living being. But she kept up her facade smoothly, never missing a beat.

“That’s a lot of family.” Maya whistled appreciatively. “Anything else I can get you?”

“We need some kid clothes, thirteen of them?” Ava said sheepishly. 

“Of course, come with me.” Maya and Ava walked together while Faith staggered along behind, a stack of clothes in her arms as well as one hovering near her shoulder. 

“Here we are,” Maya said, and watched as the clothes flew into the air. She made a split-second decision, her courage making her thoughtless, “If that’s all, let’s go give my mother the clothes for her to measure out. While she’s doing that, could you two come with me, I’d love to show you something.”

Ava and Faith exchanged a glance, a silent exchange seemed to happen before Faith turned back with a smile and a cautious nod. Maya noted the slight change in their postures as their movements tensed but grew more purposeful. 

Maya led them to the counter and after dropping them off with her mother, brought them to her room. She closed the door behind them and took a moment to simply stare at them, size them up. She sensed that they were doing the same to her. She decided to start with a question, she wanted to know what they would tell her. “Who are you really?”

Ava’s eyebrows came together in confusion, “Pardon?”

“I saw both of you yesterday in the middle of the storm,” Maya stated, hoping to surprise them. When they each whipped out a pair of knives she realized she should’ve been more cautious. The only sharp object on her person was a pair of sewing scissors.

“Who are you?” Faith demanded as she and Ava advanced, knives ready. Her voice was cold as ice with an Arctic bite to match. 

“Maya,” She muttered, eyes fixed on the knives in their hands. Her courage seemed to have abandoned her at the mere sight of the gleaming weapons. Thanks a lot, she thought bitterly. “Maya Emerson.”

“What do you want with us?” Ava asked, the question was an order but her tone wasn't quite as menacing as Faith's. It was softer, sadder in a way. For a short moment, no more than a second, Ava’s emotionless mask slipped, and Maya felt like she was peering into a very raw part of her soul. The immense amount of sadness and pain there gave her pause. But she was determined. 

Somewhere deep within her, in her heart, or her soul maybe, she knew that this was her calling and she was ready. So Maya met their gazes boldly and said simply, “I know who you are, what you do...and I want to join you.”

January 23, 2021 04:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

139 comments

Lilliane Wei
03:00 Jan 24, 2021

Hi, everyone! I doubt you're reading this but somewhere in my mind I'm thinking someone has to read this, right? Well anyway, this is a sequel to the two previous stories in the series/world I'm writing so you might want to check those out first. They're called "Common Smuggling" and "Capture". Read the former before the latter. Now, some more important things. Number one! Check out the fabulous star of this story Maya Emerson at https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/mulberry-maya/ where she is going by Mulberry Maya ✰. ...

Reply

Megan Sutherland
13:58 Jan 24, 2021

🍋

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:56 Jan 24, 2021

Ahahahaha

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:12 Jan 26, 2021

🥭 🥭 🥭 🥭 🥭 🥭 🥭 🥭 🥭 🥭 is that a mango? yum

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:05 Jan 26, 2021

Yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:15 Jan 27, 2021

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Reply

Lilliane Wei
20:18 Jan 27, 2021

Thank youuuuuu!!

Reply

20:19 Jan 27, 2021

No problemmmmmm!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
17:50 Jan 25, 2021

aiee i forgottt to do this - 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:57 Jan 25, 2021

Thank youusssss!!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
17:58 Jan 25, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Lilliane Wei
18:31 Jan 25, 2021

Hehehehehehe

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
18:34 Jan 25, 2021

heheheheheheheheeh

Reply

Lilliane Wei
18:58 Jan 25, 2021

;p

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sophia Coyne
15:58 Apr 22, 2021

No one will probably believe me but I want to be an author one day and one of my "books in writing" is legit called "Adventure Awaits!" It's about two kids who get washed up on a tropical island and try to hide from a thief who has committed thiever of stealing a plane.

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:09 Apr 22, 2021

Haha, I believe you and even if not, imitation is the highest form of flattery ;) I'll be sure to look out for your book, it sounds so interesting. So good luck and happy writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:10 Mar 18, 2021

🥭🥭🥭 Hey, Lily! This story was just as good as the last. Your description was perfect, and the dialogue flowed well. You really captured my attention throughout the entire story, and your characters were realistic. The ending where Maya joins them is shocking yet awesome! Keep writing and I can't wait to read the other five parts. :D Your friend, Brooke

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:42 Mar 18, 2021

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, thank you so much, Brooke!!!

Reply

00:20 Mar 19, 2021

You're welcome so much, Lillian!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
16:00 Mar 17, 2021

:DDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
00:47 Mar 03, 2021

🗡🗡🗡🗡🗡

Reply

Lilliane Wei
01:27 Mar 03, 2021

Ehehehehe thxxx

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

New story out Lily!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
21:04 Feb 07, 2021

Yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Reply

Lilliane Wei
20:55 Jan 31, 2021

Lol thank youuuuu

Reply

Your welcome!!! <3333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Lily!!!!!!!! Wow, love this story so much! Great details!:DD

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:38 Jan 27, 2021

Thank you so much, Varsha!!

Reply

Of course LILY!!!! YAY! we're officially the skribbles!:DD

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:48 Jan 27, 2021

YAYYYY

Reply

Lilliane Wei
23:09 Jan 27, 2021

;p

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
18:25 Jan 27, 2021

We're playing skribble again at 3:30 EST if you want to play. :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
18:59 Jan 27, 2021

Sure! Who else is playing?

Reply

Maya -
19:02 Jan 27, 2021

I think, Celeste, Amethyst, Varsha, me, Isaac, maybe others. :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
19:02 Jan 27, 2021

Yay!! Sounds fun :D

Reply

Maya -
19:02 Jan 27, 2021

Yay!!! :DDD <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
20:24 Jan 27, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?hwBGtYgaB9f6

Reply

Lilliane Wei
20:26 Jan 27, 2021

Cool, I'll be joining on as Moonlily!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:21 Jan 25, 2021

Would you like to play skribble at 3:30 EST (different time than before) today?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:01 Jan 25, 2021

Sorry, Maya. I don't think I can. :(

Reply

Maya -
17:05 Jan 25, 2021

That's fine. :): How are you?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:07 Jan 25, 2021

Tired, really tired. I slept super late last night. How about you?

Reply

Maya -
17:15 Jan 25, 2021

Oh, sorry. :/ I'm fine, but bored cause I'm in school. :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:29 Jan 25, 2021

Yeah, I'm about to start school. :(

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:58 Feb 02, 2021

If you want to play skribble at the same time today I'm putting the link at the bottom of my bio. (So it's less visible to he who must not be named) XD

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:00 Feb 02, 2021

Alright, I'll try to make it! :D

Reply

Maya -
17:01 Feb 02, 2021

Okay! :DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:34 Feb 01, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?WiwlzjGzBwuU

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
15:04 Feb 01, 2021

Hey! Hope you're having a nice day! :D ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ We're playing Skribble again today at 3:30 EST, would you like me to send you the link? :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
16:57 Feb 01, 2021

Yes please!!

Reply

Maya -
16:58 Feb 01, 2021

Yay! :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:01 Feb 01, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Maya -
17:02 Feb 01, 2021

:DDDDD

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:04 Feb 01, 2021

;p

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:23 Jan 29, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?QMzdRNtmkoMk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
16:05 Jan 29, 2021

Happy Friday! Hope your day has been great so far! ✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮ Would you like to join our skribble game later today at 3:30 EST? :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:47 Jan 29, 2021

Same to youuuuu! Send me the link and I’ll try my best to make it! :D

Reply

Maya -
17:48 Jan 29, 2021

Yay! Okay! What do you think of the new prompts?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:52 Jan 29, 2021

I think they’re perfect for what I want to write! How about you? Any ideas?

Reply

Maya -
17:56 Jan 29, 2021

That's great! Are you continuing your series? I really like them, I can probably continue my series "Please Understand" which has 2 parts so far. Lol I need a better name for it. :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
18:02 Jan 29, 2021

Lol we can all write but names are beyond us, I need a better name for "Adventure Awaits."

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:25 Jan 28, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?7jwI8HoamrKc

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
14:54 Jan 28, 2021

Want to play today at the same time? Also, a lot of new people joined. I put them in the meeting place story. :)))

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:10 Jan 28, 2021

Sure I’ll see if I can make it

Reply

Maya -
17:19 Jan 28, 2021

Great!!! :DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
14:02 Jan 24, 2021

Hey, Lily!!! Amazing job!! I do have two questions. Where does this story fit in the timeline of the other two? I got a little lost. Kind of a dumb question, but are there other Soaring Dragons besides me, you, Celeste, and Maya? Like how big is this Soaring Dragon Empire? And this is a statement: THERE BETTER BE A PART THREE OR SO HELP ME I WILL- hehe. -meg

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:54 Jan 24, 2021

This story is just after they lost Celeste so the characters are recovering when they decide to take a stop at Kiwali'a for supplies. They meet Maya there (she isn't a soaring dragon...yet) and she asks them to join up. There are other Soaring Dragons but the leaders are me, you, celeste, and mj. There are basically a bunch scattered across the empire. All will be explained soon. Hopefully.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
18:02 Jan 24, 2021

Ohhhh okay. Thank you!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
18:33 Jan 24, 2021

Sorry for making it so confusing. I hope I can explain the rest soon.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
20:30 Jan 24, 2021

It's fineeee, and I can't wait to read the next part!! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.