Watch Out Worlds!!

Submitted into Contest #62 in response to: Write about a character putting something into a time capsule.... view prompt

4 comments

Horror Mystery Romance

The flyer had covered the whole town with the promise of leaving something for the future. Norma could hardly wait for the time capsule to be uncovered, so she could put in whatever she was going to give to the future people. Something to make them wondered what it was and what it was used for was her mission. She could put the blender and say that it was the music from the time or even put a picture of her dog with the statement that is what my husband looked like.  She knew that she wasn’t going to put the picture of her husband in since she found that he was playing the field, she was mad at him plus her mother told her never to do anything in angry because she would regret it in the morning.

She continued walking down the street thinking about what was going on in her life. Her husband was found with another woman, he promised to leave them along which she knew was a complete lie.  Tears threatened to flow out of her eyes and her heart felt like it was breaking, she was embarrassed as she knew that it was all over town. People being people were pointing at her and laughing behind their hands. She wanted to kill her husband for bringing this to her front door and she knew that people weren’t treating her dear husband any better than they were treating her. She was the victim in this whole mess, but this being the recent tidbit, everyone was talking and laughing about it.   She wasn’t going to let people see how terrible this made her feel and how she wanted to shoot her husband between the legs where the sun doesn’t shine.

The other woman had gone home to find her husband putting her clothes in a trash bag and throwing them on the bonfire he had built in the back yard. Anything that belonged to his wife, soon to be ex-wife was getting burned and he didn’t care how much he had to pay in the end. He was enjoying himself at the moment which all he cares for.  James was known all over town as being a loving husband and devoted father which at the moment he was having thoughts of “Burn Baby Burn!”

Norma continued on home to enter the house to hear laughter coming down the stairs. She thought her daughter was home watching television upstairs. She mounted the steps slowly as she didn’t know how to tell a ten-year-old that her father was found loving another woman. She had to tell her that was something a loving couple didn’t do that in their marriage. They cherished each other, they shared secrets, food, and they shared their bodies not with some other woman outside the house. Stopping outside her bedroom when she realized that the laughter was coming from in there, anger rose swiftly in her body as she realized that he had brought her back to their house. Softly she said, “How can he do this to me when he promised to me yesterday that he would be a good husband and devoted father.”

She went downstairs to the den where he kept all of his guns and she was going to take one small gun, just to scare both of them silly. She would wave it around to make her point that she was mad and wasn’t going to take this anymore. Screaming at her husband that she would use this the next time that she finds another woman in her bed. Running upstairs to the bedroom, she listened to see if they had heard her moving around the house. They were still fooling around like nothing was going to bother them and she smiled briefly at that. Throwing the bedroom door open wide, she entered her bedroom to hear the lady screaming at the top of her lungs and her dear husband moving backward to the wall as fast as he could.

“How could you do this to me in my bed? I hate you and want you out of this house this very minute. I don’t care if you are homeless and you better pick out your clothes carefully. Because I won’t allow you back in this house and if I could prevent you from seeing your daughter again, I would.” Norma stood there with the gun pointing at both of them, she never notices the person by the window watching the whole scene that unfolded before him. The person had borrowed a ladder from the garage to get to the window and they knew that Norma wouldn’t do anything to hurt either of them. He aimed carefully at the people on the bed and when the lady was out of his sight, he aimed the gun and shot her husband in the heart with one shot. Norma had been waving the gun around, she squeezed the trigger and the gunshot one bullet out of the barrel. She screamed thinking that she had killed her husband and took off running out of the house. Taking off toward town, she planned to go directly to the police to inform them what she had done.

The person at the window went down the ladder and ran to his car to get out of the area before the police showed up. He headed for town and knowing what he did, he had to go to the police to take responsibility for the shooting. He knew when they found his dead wife’s body at their house, the police would be looking for him. It would be better if he turned himself in and taking a deep breath, he headed toward the police station.  Pulling off to the side of the road, James took a moment to get himself under control because he planned to go to the police to tell them that he had just committed two murders.

Going through town, he noticed Norma standing by the time capsules with something resting on her hand. He stopped his car and went over to her, he noticed the thing that was in his hand was the gun she had in her hand in the bedroom. “Norma, I plan to take the responsibility for your husband and my wife’s murder.” Taking the gun out of her hand, he pushed it under some of the other things that were already in the time capsule.   They stood there looking at each other and wondered if the police would even think it was one of them that commit the murders.

 She smiled briefly and spoke softly as she said, “James, my gun went off and I killed my husband not you.” He hugged her and felt relief wash over his body as he realized he had found his soul mate in the disaster. Standing in front of the time capsules as people moved around them, she spoke softly and said, “I have always loved you.”

“You love me, I didn’t know.” Pausing to let this sink in, he didn’t have any clue what to do next. He knew that Norma wasn’t going to the police to say she had committed the murders and he wondered if they could pull it off saying someone else had committed the murders. Someone passing through town that no one knew and that everyone would believe doing it.

 From somewhere, an idea popped into his head which would make the whole thing believable. They would get both bodies into the trunk of his car and take them out to the woods to an isolated cabin in which they would leave their bodies there. They would leave the bodies in an expression of love and would make everyone else think they were there to have sex. They would become model members of the sociality and volunteer for whatever comes up, they would volunteer for the bad as well as the good of the upcoming projects.

The time capsule was buried with two new items that were put at the bottom of the capsule. No one knew they were in there and everyone was having a good time that no one noticed two missing people. Or maybe no one wanted to mention that they were missing because rumor had been repeated that one night they ran off to be together somewhere else.   They married six years later and no one spoke about the murders that never happened. It was like her husband and James’ wife never existence. 

October 07, 2020 01:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Andrew Krey
14:39 Oct 07, 2020

Hi Judith, I read your story and enjoyed it. There were few typos in the text, but this didn't detract from the story. I liked the premise of the story, and you upped the ante from a love-triangle to a love-quad. For the actual shooting, you may wish to re-read and rework this section. My assumption is that James shot his own wife, and Norma shot her husband. But when I read this it was 'he/him' they both shot at, so only the husband. I think for James this just needs to be changed to her. I hope the feedback was useful. Happy writing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Judith Buskohl
18:14 Oct 16, 2020

Thanks Ashton, for the positive remarks. This is my first attempt at this type of story and I wasn't too sure on how it would come out. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
ASHTON NOBLE
02:46 Oct 16, 2020

I like the humor in the beginning. I see grammar mistakes here and there, which isn't something that can't be fixed ( everyone has grammar mistakes here-and-there). One thing was the sentence structure, something I had a hard time comprehending when I started writing and still take a good amount of time to rework in my own stories to this day. I suggest watching you-tube videos on the subject of "writing clarity". It helped me a lot when I started studying the subject. Now, you have a story. This is something to be proud of, a lot of wr...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Judith Buskohl
02:45 Oct 10, 2020

Thanks Andrew for the helpful advice. I will look it over. Norma's gun went off and didn't shoot anyone. James shot his wife and Norma's husband. Neither of them know that Norma didn't kill anyone ,so they are going on the assumption that James shot his wife and Norma shot her husband. Does that help? I am kinda of new to writing endings like that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.