45 comments

Christian Inspirational

No one remembers what it was like to learn to walk. No, in the vast seas of our memory, that formative year right after we are pushed out of our mother's womb is all but submerged, lost like an ill-fated ship at the very bottom where corals dwell. And yet, somehow, in the depths of our core, our muscles recall every single process, could always perfectly stretch out and strain in order to execute the routine of us standing up, lifting a leg, and advancing with one foot in front of the other. Meanwhile, to our conscious, the entire orchestrated dance seems automatic. Certainly, save for injury, only a fool would want to repeat the lengthy procedure of acquiring one of life’s most basic skills.

At least, a “fool” is what they called me the day I extended a leg over the starboard of the wooden boat I was on and let my quaking foot touch the tumultuous depths, when I dared to walk on water. Yes, I realise it sounds completely daft; why would a fisherman --- someone who has lived their entire life knowing the refuge of a deck --- choose to step out of a vessel and into a wine dark sea?

That very question didn’t even cross my mind when I saw one of my closest Friends, He who just the day before fed a multitude with a little boy’s lunch. standing defiantly over a storm-whipped ocean. From my vantage point on a craft being tossed and turned on furious crests, His face glowed the light of a billion stars on a midnight tide.

Of course, to those of us on the choppy tides, He looked more like a….

“Ghost! No, stay away,” a chorus of yells inundated with trepidation wailed.

“No, no, don’t be afraid. It is I,” my Friend replied. He deftly floated above the waves to approach our gaggle of screaming lungs. Once He was near, we could clearly make out the signature tranquillity in His countenance.

 “What is He…how,” I heard one of my companions, Thomas, sputter, almost as if every word were a trickle. “That can’t be now.”

My Friend could only shake His head like a ship in a tempest.

“You’re doubting a…”

“If you truly say who You really are, invite me to come to You. Oh wait, I…”

As soon as the words came gushing out of my mouth, I felt a whirlpool swirl inside of my stomach. My hand flew to my mouth as tried to hold back the wellspring that just bubbled out of me.

“Uh, what I mean is…I really…”

“Peter, I’m glad you asked. I want you to come to Me.”

I gawked at my Friend positioned upright on the current and gripped the wooden hull as I tried to wrack my brain on how to backtrack.

“No, you see, I was carried away. So astonished by You and…”

“Just come. Eyes on Me.”

My brow furrowed into a wave as I faced my grinning Buddy.

“What do you mean,” I responded. I strained my throat to hide the shaking in my interior. “Humans don’t walk on water, Bud, you know that.”

From the boat, I saw Him fix His eyes upon my own.

“Do you trust Me when I say that you can?”

I stared at the Man upright in the waters as the breakers of realisation crashed over me.

Yes, they say humans can’t walk on water, but were they there when He treaded the seas just to show me a life beyond what I already knew? Perhaps, it was a strange sight: a Teacher --- respected, listened to, washed --- approaching a man who reeked of tilapia and the blazing sun, and yet, He did not mind. In the eyes of the Pharisees, we were on two opposite coasts separated by a boundless ocean, and yet He traversed it to talk to my brother and me. When He asked us --- just two men whose only knowledge was how to cast a net --- to be fishers of men, to speak before crowds, it was somehow so easy to say yes. Since that day, I’ve learnt to let a waterfall of words come out of my mouth, no longer walled in by a dam-like insecurity.

Yes, they say humans can’t walk on water, but are they there each time He takes time to plunge into the depths of my soul to get to know me? A few years ago, my Friend had started to develop quite a following. Everywhere He turns, people are ready to swamp Him; it has been a flow of life that our group has had to get used to. Despite all of that, though, when all is quiet and tranquil like a placid lake, He always relished those peaceful moments on the shores, out where I’m right at home, to just chat and build on our friendship…just as much as I did.

Yes, they say humans can’t walk on water, but were they there each time He had cured the lame or fed thousands of people, had reset everything in lives as trouble-free as simply washing them with the clearest water? I’d witnessed with my own eyes the power flowing through Him, an undeniable force that had opened eyes and provided sustenance. Most of all, being so close to Him, I’d seen an even more powerful impetus to all of the astonishing: love.

Yes, they say humans can’t walk on water, but my Friend sure is able to…and because He called me, I can.

“Eyes on You, is that it?”

“Yes, precisely, that. Come to me.”

I took a deep breath as I stepped out of the familiar wooden craft and onto the waves.

“Hey, you’re acting a fool, Peter! Are you crazy,” bellowed my squawking sea companions. Their cries, however, were drowned out by a crest of determination that rose in me.

“Yes, you’re doing it,” my Friend beamed. “Closer, closer.”

And that is precisely how I became the man who walked on water: because I was close enough to know I wasn’t a fool for it, because I knew there was nothing foolish about

April 26, 2024 15:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

Sophie Parmaby
05:13 May 04, 2024

This story was so well written! The beginning was a good hook that got me thinking and made me want to continue reading. I also really loved the flow and how easy it was to follow especially with the repetition which allowed it to maintain the theme throughout. Amazing writing :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:35 May 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Sophie ! I'm so happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Faith Packer
01:51 May 04, 2024

The repetition of the the line, "Yes, they say humans can't walk on water, but-" is so beautiful, and so powerful, and the themes in this story are just amazing! Awesome job!:)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:19 May 04, 2024

Oh, Faith ! Thank you so much. You know, I was just discussing this story with my Mum (None of my family are readers or writers, but this one is quite special to me, as I'll mention.), and I said this was the story I didn't think would even make it to the page. I, like Peter, had to walk on water to get this out because I felt like a castaway drowning in self-doubt and imposter syndrome. To not only see it published, but also to see people like you responding positively to it is such a trip. Wow ! So happy you liked this story. Yes, I quite...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
18:57 May 01, 2024

The “ Yes, they say humans can’t walk on water,” repetition is what really stuck deep with me - stunning and powerful work!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
20:12 May 01, 2024

Ah, I'm glad the repetition worked. I'm so happy you liked it, Martha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
00:35 May 01, 2024

This story had me thinking, in the first paragraph, about the changes we go though from living for 9 months in a womb where we have no need to inhale to what the moment the need for the first breathe must have been like. Then I was drawn into the story and realized it was going in a very different direction. Facing the need to learn, to understand the reality of doing the impossible because doing so could induce a better understanding of what the worlds from the Styx River to the Gates of Heaven involve--belief. Great story and far from prea...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:42 May 01, 2024

Thank you so much, Beverly ! I'm so happy you received this story so well. Like I said, I had to do my own walking on water to even come up with a story for adventure week. Glad people like you have responded to it so well. You put everything I wanted to convey in the story so brilliantly and eloquently. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. It means so much to me !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:06 Apr 30, 2024

I really enjoyed your take on the prompt. You made it all seem so real somehow and brought the characters to life. Personally, I was always rather sympathetic to doubting Thomas, but I enjoyed how you brought Peter to life. There was a boldness to his character. I loved the way you dwelt on the friendship aspect. Well done for writing this story. More stories like this please.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:13 Apr 30, 2024

Oh wow ! Thank you, Helen ! You know, one of the waves I had to walk on that week is the worry that people would think I'm being preachy (which, I don't really like in stories) and they'd get turned off by the story. I'm so chuffed that people like you are appreciating it. I suppose I, like Peter, should have just gotten off the boat from the get go. Peter reminds me so much of myself (especially the heart-on-your-sleeve, no filter bit. Hahahaha !), so I suppose I put a bit of myself in him. And yes, in the end, it's about the relationship...

Reply

Helen A Smith
07:15 Apr 30, 2024

I know what you mean. I think you have been brave. I welcome all kinds of stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:45 Apr 28, 2024

Always glad to read positive stories, and you certainly know how to write them. Well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:51 Apr 28, 2024

Thank you, Darvico ! It's not that I try to write positive stories; it just sort of bleeds out of me. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
08:37 Apr 28, 2024

well written story - inventive. Another great story.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:51 Apr 28, 2024

Thank you, Stevie ! If you only knew the struggle to put up something that week. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Stevie Burges
09:10 Apr 28, 2024

Now I'm really jealous. For me there are many weeks when I put nothing up as I can't think of anything - or else, what I have written is just dreadful. But you are putting up something each week no matter how hard it is sometimes. Well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:38 Apr 28, 2024

Thank you so much ! Sometimes, it's just a question of saying "Oh, let's just do it." and going with whatever simple idea you have.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:28 Apr 27, 2024

I love it very much! Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
20:14 Apr 27, 2024

Yay ! I'm happy you liked it, Julia ! Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thomas Iannucci
18:27 Apr 27, 2024

Wow, I really loved this - amen to walking on water!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:18 Apr 27, 2024

Amen ! We all have to do it sometimes ! Thanks for reading this, Thomas ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
17:01 Apr 27, 2024

Hi Stella! This was the first story I've read of yours and it did NOT disappoint. You have a fantastic way with words and the story flowed really well. I haven't read that many Christian stories on here, so I have to give you high praise for traveling outside the status quo 😊 My favorite line was: "Yes, they say humans can’t walk on water, but are they there each time He takes time to plunge into the depths of my soul to get to know me?" Simply put: WOW! I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories. Great job on this one!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:18 Apr 27, 2024

Hi, Daniel ! I have not read much of them either. One of the things I stressed out about was whether or not the story would sound too preachy. Just chuffed it worked. I loved writing that line too ! Thanks for taking the time to read the story. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:27 Apr 27, 2024

I didn't think it was preachy at all...lol. It was very well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
15:30 Apr 27, 2024

So glad you focused on the fact that Peter did walk on water. So many times we only see sinking Good read 😀👍

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:43 Apr 27, 2024

Thank you, Daniel. Indeed, he did. Whilst I was reading that passage, I saw a study on it that basically said that the "Oh, you of little faith." that came after could also be interpreted as "Good, you have some. Let Me multiply it.". At least, Peter stepped out. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
13:12 Apr 27, 2024

I love it! Peter is such a great example, trusting in Christ even when it’s scary and others around him are doubting.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:44 Apr 27, 2024

Peter's amazing. He's a mess with no filter (reminds me of myself. Hahaha !), but in the end, just adores his Good Friend. Always fascinated with his story. Glad you liked the story, McKade. Like I mentioned, I too walked on water to even write something for the week. Glad it came out okay.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:29 Apr 27, 2024

An inspiring interpretation of this story which fitted the prompt. Described so vividly. We know Peter faltered once he started walking, but he did well. Out of all the other apostles Peter was the impulsive, so sure of himself one. It got him into trouble at times. But he's an amazing example of one who had the confidence to just do it. Loved it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:40 Apr 27, 2024

I see so much of him in me, sometimes...including the fact that he's always worn his heart on his sleeve to the point of saying awkwardly stupid things at times. Hahahaha ! Thank you so much for reading and commenting, Kaitlyn ! Glad you liked it.

Reply

10:43 Apr 27, 2024

I believe many of us identify with Peter!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:18 Apr 26, 2024

Great story, Stella. The repetition worked very well. You prose and dialogue felt genuine and flowed well. Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:32 Apr 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Trudy ! It means so much coming from you. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jesse Smith
18:41 Apr 26, 2024

This is a really lovely story, Stella! It was a great joy to read. You wrote the story in such a clever way that people of all varieties can draw inspiration from it. I was already a little emotional this morning, and your story nearly had me crying again! Powerful stuff. :) Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:14 Apr 26, 2024

Jesse, I'm very happy the story inspired you and drew out the emotions. It means so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurie Spellman
18:31 Apr 26, 2024

Beautiful story….nice job walking on water Stella!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:12 Apr 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Laurie ! It was a journey to write this. Glad I got there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
18:23 Apr 26, 2024

Deeply inspiring, this story speaks to our hearts and souls. It reaches us where we are afraid of the unknown and have doubts. Beautifully told and poetic. I love this story! Powerful writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:15 Apr 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristi ! Like I said in a comment, I also had to walk on water to write this. Very happy it touched your heart.

Reply

Kristi Gott
19:32 Apr 26, 2024

I know what you mean. Each week I wonder if I can think of another new story and I turn to trusting it will come to me, having faith.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:00 Apr 26, 2024

Good job. Sometimes we forget it wasn't only Jesus who walked on water. Peter was able to because he looked to Jesus as his salvation.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:02 Apr 26, 2024

Precisely that. I need to clean this story up a looooot, but thanks for reading it (in all its rawness), Mary !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:30 Apr 30, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Alexis Araneta
21:43 Apr 30, 2024

Dustin, thank you so much ! You have no idea what it means coming from you, a writer whose meaty stories packed with biblical detail I love so much. I think I highlighted in an author's note of a comment that this was a story that subsumed me in the waters of doubt. I'm just happy that like Peter, I was also able to walk it. You know well how I did. Got to love heart-on-his-sleeve, "I'll do it...oh wait, no !" Peter. Hahahaha ! As always, thank you so much for your support, for always reading my stories and commenting, and for being so s...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:14 Apr 26, 2024

Hi ! So, Peter's not the only one who walked on water for this story. I did too. Hahahaha ! Such a tiny, succinct story, and yet, it was my most difficult to write simply because I doubted my ability to write anything this week. I was afraid of so many things: that I couldn't write adventure, that I didn't have the tools in my arsenal to make it readable, etc. But hey, I got it out. Don't make me do it again, Reedsy. AHAHAHA ! Also, the last line is: "there's nothing foolish about trusting a Friend." I wasn't even able to proofread before...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.