Batey: Where Technology and Ancient Sports Collide

Submitted into Contest #181 in response to: Write a story that includes someone saying, “Let’s go for a walk.”... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Science Fiction Thriller

Nico Pengin and his team, The Absolutes, had just come off a hard-fought victory in the first round of the high-stakes Batey tournament. The tournament was held inside the alien ship Gibraltar, which was run by the alien race, the Unknown Blues, which had saved the Earth from a recurring catastrophe caused by human mismanagement of the planet. The Unknown Blues were a technologically advanced alien race, with a deep understanding of physics and engineering. They had a humanoid appearance, but with distinct blue skin and elongated limbs. They were a peaceful species, dedicated to helping other civilizations in need. The ship, Gibraltar, was enormous, the same size as the continental United States, and the tournament was held in a quarantined area equipped within the massive space inside, with access to advanced technology that allowed for the manipulation of gravity, where the game of Batey had been reborn. 

New Batey is a sport that is based on an ancient Taino sport, played inside an Anti-Gravity Sphere, where players use high-tech equipment provided by the Unknown Blues, to fly, flip and spin in a zero-gravity environment, specifically by futuristic jet propulsion shoes. The ball used in the sport of New Batey is a spherical object made of a special material with high-tech, gravity-defying, that is specially designed to be used in the zero-gravity environment of the Anti-Gravity Sphere. The ball is made to float and fly through the air with ease. It has a sleek, aerodynamic design that makes it easy to keep flying in the same direction, even in the most challenging of conditions. It also has a built-in gravity sensor that can detect the slightest change in the surrounding environment, allowing it to make instant adjustments to its trajectory and movement when touched. This makes it an unpredictable and challenging ball to play with, but also an exciting and thrilling experience for the players. The ball also has a bright and vibrant color that makes it easy to spot and track in the Anti-Gravity Sphere.

Scoring in Batey is done by successfully maneuvering the ball through a designated goal on the opposing team's side of the sphere. The goals are circular in shape and are suspended by a singular and durable, yet lightweight material rod, that is able to withstand the intense forces of the game. The goals are suspended in the air within the anti-gravity sphere. The goals are also equipped with advanced sensors and technology that allow for instant scoring recognition and accurate tracking of the ball's position. As the players are not allowed to use their hands, they must rely on their jet propulsion shoes, chest, elbows, knees and other body parts to control the ball and score.

For Nico, Batey was more than just a game, it was a way of life. He had formed a team of players with the same passion and drive as him, each with their own unique skills and talents. Chilly, his biological sister, was a skilled defender and strategist, known for her cool and calculated approach to the game, earning her the nickname "Ice Queen" among her teammates. With a sharp mind and a strong sense of teamwork, she was the backbone of the team, always keeping them focused and on track. Gorri, the team's powerhouse, was a physically imposing figure with incredible strength and stamina, making him a formidable opponent on the field. His muscular size and power made him an intimidating force, but his agility and quick thinking made him a valuable player. AB, the team's jester, had a playful and light-hearted personality, often making fun of himself, but his quick reflexes made him a valuable asset in the game.

IND23, had his face and voice box bio-engineered due to a freak accident. His robotic face and voice, often made him stand out from the rest of the team, but it was his speed and agility that made him truly unique. His enhancements were limited to his face and voice box, everything else was organic, yet these enhancements gave him a significant advantage in the game, making him the team's secret weapon. Together, they were a diverse team of individuals united by their love of the game and their determination to become champions.

Their opponents in the next match were the Taino Warriors, a team full of cyborgs and genetically modified players, who had been honing their skills for years under the guidance of the top Batey coaches in the world. 

They were the second favorites to win and had only lost to the defending champions. The Taino Warriors were a team that represented a common enemy to overcome, a team that represented the abuse of bio-engineering and bio supplements, and tried to waive it off in the name of the recognition of the indigenous people of the Caribbean. 

As the game began, the tension in the arena was palpable. The Taino Warriors were a formidable team and had a reputation for being ruthless and aggressive on the field. They launched an aggressive attack from the start, their cyborg players moving with lightning speed and precision, the ball spinning wildly in front of them. The Absolute's defense, led by Chilly, was pushed to the brink as the Taino Warriors closed in on the goal. But just as it seemed that the Taino Warriors were about to score, Nico made an incredible leap, his body flipping and spinning in midair as he reached out and plucked the ball from the air with one outstretched leg, and used the jet boots to send it soaring out of bounds and disrupting the Taino Warriors' momentum. 

With the Taino Warriors' attack thwarted, The Absolute's quickly regrouped and launched their own attack. Gorri and AB flew through the air with grace and precision, passing the ball back and forth with expert timing while IND23 used his robotic enhancements to out-think and outmaneuver the Taino Warrior's defense. The crowd was on their feet as the team worked together to score the first goal of the match, with AB finding a gap in the Warrior's defense, flying in, and Nico giving him a no-look elbow pass. AB quickly did a gravity-defying flip, flipping over the rushing Taino Warriors' defender, before sending the ball flying past the keeper with a powerful shin strike. 

The Taino Warriors were not discouraged and came back even stronger, but this time, The Absolutes were ready for them. They were able to anticipate the Taino Warriors' moves and intercept their passes, disrupting their flow. They also used the technology provided by the aliens to improve their moves, flips, and strategies, as a unified unit.

As the match progressed, the action on the field was intense, with both teams displaying incredible skill and athleticism. The Taino Warriors were relentless in their attacks, but The Absolutes were able to hold them off, thanks in part to Chilly's strategic thinking and Gorri's physical dominance. AB's quick reflexes without thinking, made it difficult for the Taino Warriors to get the ball close to the goal while IND23's stoic robotic face, made him hard to read and allowed him to move at lightning speed as his mark was not able to anticipate which direction he would jet to, making it nearly impossible for the Taino Warriors to keep up. 

With just minutes left on the clock, the Taino Warriors launched one final desperate attack, but The Absolutes were able to hold them off. And with a final, powerful strike, Nico scored the winning goal, sending the crowd into a frenzy and securing the victory for The Absolutes. 

After the match, Nico was surrounded by reporters, each eager to get a quote from the young Batey star. One charming female reporter, in particular, seemed interested in delving deeper into Nico's personal life and motivations. "Nico, you and your team just pulled off an incredible victory against one of the toughest opponents in the tournament. Can you tell us more about what drives you to be the best in this sport?" 

Nico thought for a moment before responding, "If you really want to know, let's go for a walk." And with that, the reporter and Nico walked away, leaving the other reporters behind, as Nico shared his personal story of how he found his passion for Batey and how he and his team had dedicated themselves to mastering the sport. He also shared how they were determined to be an example of how technology and ancient sports can coexist as organic competitors without the use of genetically modified teammates or bio supplements. 

The Absolutes had made it through the second round and were one step closer to becoming champions of the Batey world. Their journey was far from over, but they were ready to take on any challenge that came their way and were determined to move mountains to achieve their goal. 

As the tournament progressed, The Absolutes continued to face tough opponents and intense competition. But with each match, they grew stronger and more confident in their abilities. They worked together as a team, pushing each other to be their best and constantly finding new ways to improve. 

Their opponents were fierce, but Nico and his team were able to hold their own, thanks in part to their superior teamwork and understanding of the technology provided by the aliens. They used the advanced technology provided by the aliens to create new moves, new flips, and new strategies, which helped them to outsmart their opponents and come out on top. 

January 15, 2023 05:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

BRUCE MARTIN
21:47 Jan 28, 2023

Very imaginative and clever story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.