27 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational Funny

This story contains sensitive content

**small mention of physical abuse**


So, here we are…a gaggle of gushing old geese fibbing to each other about how fabulous we all look, and how we haven’t changed in 50 years. As if! 


Okay. Maybe that’s a bit harsh, but I know what I see every morning when I look in the mirror: that reflection speaks a truth this reunion of excited, twittering ladies doesn’t. Oh, I know, I know! I need to be less critical of both them and myself. I’m such an old grouch these days it’s a wonder I get any compliments from anyone, anywhere, anytime. I need to be more gracious and grateful. Blame it on old age. It’s not always polite.


My former classmate, Maggie, nudges me gently in my left arm. Wrinkles bracket the corners of her smile.


“So, how are you doing old girl?”


Old girl eh? At least one of my high school alumni is truthful. Ugh. I’m doing it again. Be happy she cared enough to ask, you silly old woman.


“Still alive and kicking, Maggie. You?”


“Enjoying our condo with no grass to mow. Best thing we did ten years ago was sell up when we became empty nesters. We also bought a condo in Florida and spend the winter months there.”


Must be nice to be able to do that. I envy her. But after all, her husband was in banking and she ended up being the vice-principal of the Catholic High School holding this reunion. Maggie, please don’t ask me how we’re spending our retirement. I have nothing to brag about. 


I change the subject quick smart.


“Do you know if any of our former teachers are coming to this reunion today, Maggie? I’m really curious about what it’ll be like seeing them again.”


“Yes, I do, Danuta. The organizing committee invited every one of them we could track down. Of course, several have passed away, like Mother Elaine. Remember her?”


How could I forget our Grade 9 Latin teacher? She was a standout. We’d dubbed her “the flying nun”.


“Of course I do. Who can forget the way she flitted down the aisles between our desks, always fanning out her veil like wings. She would alternate swinging her wooden rosary beads with slamming her cane on our desks if she thought we weren’t paying attention as we conjugated those Latin verbs ad nauseum. I tell you, Maggie, she scared me shitless! Oops sorry for swearing.” 


Maggie smiles as she tells me it’s okay. I have to remember that probably 95% of my former classmates are still holy rollers who attend Mass and receive Holy Communion every Sunday. I need to watch my tongue around this bunch. I need to be mindful and polite. I forge on with the small talk.


“I guess since you came back to teach here and then became vice-principal, you had ongoing contact with several of our teachers for years?”


“That I did,” Maggie confirms. “Who else do you remember? I can tell you which ones might be here today.”


“Well, what about that crusty old Madame LeFebvre…the one who told us in her gravelly voice that she was Russian by birth but French by marriage? She told us on Day One of Grade 10 that she was ‘verrry, verrry severrre’. She rolled those R’s across our ears like Mother Elaine used her cane. I would hide behind Barbara at the back of the room and hope Madame couldn’t see me.”


Maggie laughs like the lady she is and I never was. “I think she scared all of us,” she replies. “I guess you’ve forgotten she left the staff by the time we hit Grade 11?”


Yes, I had forgotten. Seems to be a lot of people, places and especially, things I forget these days…primarily the unimportant things…like did I take my blood pressure pills this morning or not? I should care more about my health but I don’t. Maybe that’s why this reunion scene has me so on edge; too many grey-haired reminders of old age sipping cups of tea around the room.


“Danuta! Is that you? Oh my goodness! I’d recognize you anywhere!”


Oh boy. What’s her name again? It’s stuck on the tip of my tongue, along with the brownie I just shoved into my mouth. I cover my lips in apology while I try to swallow. Good excuse for not replying instantly…buying myself a moment while I struggle to remember her name. How did she remember mine?


“Olivia, right? You were in my Grade 11 history class with Mrs. Barrington. I remember you well,” I lie. “You were part of our gin & milk club during her Greek History class, weren’t you? Gosh, what naughty girls we were, eh?” I giggle.


“What amazes me, Danuta,” Olivia laughs “is we never got caught passing that little flask to each other under our desks and not one of the six of us ever dropped it.”


“Well, it sure would’ve woken us all up,” I reply, remembering how much I enjoyed being a bit of a class rebel, the kind of rebel I wouldn’t dare be at home.


“But who could blame us?” I continue, relishing the memory. “It was all I could do to not fall asleep during Barrington’s boring explanations of how the Greeks lived. She had the softest voice and spoke in such a monotone I was always drifting off. I felt bad about that at the year’s end though: she was the kindest teacher. She even gave me a passing grade when she and I both knew I’d flunked. I was so grateful to her for that. I think she knew that my father…who admitted to me that he hated history too…would have killed me for failing any subject, even history.”


I’m surprised at myself for saying as much as I just did. Unusual for me. I don’t like others to know too much about me. Never have. Could I possibly be savouring this rare bit of social interaction? Over the past few years, with our children grown, gone and too busy with their own lives now to spend much time with us, hubby and I have become a pair of hermits. We’re so used to being alone together. Yes, it’s lonely, but oddly comforting and comfortable. Large social get-togethers have lost their appeal. Sometimes, they’re downright exhausting. 


Through eyes blurry with cataracts, I scan the sea of wrinkled, aging faces looking for one face in particular. That face I would recognize. What is the possibility of her being here? She’d have to be 5, maybe even 10 years older than us now. Is she even alive?


With Olivia still at my side, we move toward Maggie and a handful of my other classmates. They are all vaguely familiar but I realize I don’t really know any of them. Probably never did, even way back then. The hermit I am now was alive then too: always lost in my thoughts, busily watching everyone else, eavesdropping on their conversations, discussing my observations with myself, drawing conclusions and writing them into poems and stories that no-one besides me ever read. Until Miss Kozak came into my life in Grade 11.


“Kozak? Did you say Miss Kozak, Danuta?” Melinda asks. She’s still slim, still beautiful with her salon-tinted blue hair. Am I jealous? A little. 


“Kozak? Why would you hope to see her here, Danuta?” Melinda asks again in response to my question to Maggie about whether Miss Kozak will be here today. “She was the meanest, toughest English teacher we ever had,” Melinda continues, holding court just as she always did 50 years ago. “Kozak failed more than 75% of our English class. I couldn’t stand her! Don’t tell me you liked her Danuta? No-one else did!” 


I can almost hear Melinda thinking how weird I am. She always did think that of me. I suspect several of my classmates did. Perhaps they were right.


“I remember Miss Kozak,” agrees Sabina. “Her very name struck fear into all of us going into Grade 11. I was one of the luckier ones. I got Mrs. Healy for English that year and thanked the Lord for that!” 


The group laughs politely. I just smile, wishing I’d never asked about Miss Kozak. How could any of them possibly understand how I ultimately felt about her? They didn’t know me at all, not then, not now.


Sure, Miss Kozak terrified me too, especially after I saw the mark she gave me at mid-term. 51%! 51% in English, my best and favorite subject. I couldn’t believe it. Everything I’d heard about her was true. She was mean, horrible even. My father would freak out when he saw that mark. History wasn’t important, but English?


And then, adding to my mortification was the school principal. She decided to give out our report cards that first term. She was as scary as Miss Kozak. I never got over my embarrassment when she stood beside my desk, looked at me severely, and asked:


“What language do you speak at home?”


“English,” I whispered.


“Speak up when I ask you a question,” she demanded. “What did you say?”


“English.”


“Well, you’d never know it with a disgusting mark like this! I thought you were one of the better students!”


She’d thrown the report card onto my desk while I turned red and choked back tears, frightened of the principal and terrified of my father waiting at home to see my mid-term marks. At that moment, I hated Miss Kozak. 


But a couple of days later, Miss Kozak asked me to stay after class. What was I in for now? To my great surprise, she smiled at me as I approached her desk. I had never seen her smile. I remember thinking she was actually rather pretty in a handsome way, if that makes sense? My nerves must have been getting the better of me: I could feel that familiar internal shaking coming on. That’s how I felt when my father wanted to talk to me.


“Danuta, relax. I’m not going to bite your head off. I just want to ask you some questions. Are you okay with that?”


“I guess so…” Did it really matter if I was okay with it? No one else in my life seemed to care how I felt about anything. Why would she? Miss Kozak continued.


“What did you think of the mark you got in English? Honestly.”


“Honestly? Pretty dreadful,” I replied. Always on the defensive. “I’ve never had a mark that low in anything except history.”


“So did it bother you enough to want to do something about it?”


What kind of a question was that? Did she really expect me to say anything but yes? I hadn’t even drummed up enough courage yet to show my father my report card. I’d do anything required to improve that mark. I needed some hope that I could promise my father I’d do better next term.


“Danuta, there’s something you need to know,” Miss Kozak began. “I was especially hard on you with all the assignments you turned in because I felt what you were delivering was far inferior to what you are capable of. I believe you have so much more potential, but you’re settling for mediocrity instead of excellence. I know all you girls think that I’m just a hard marker. Well, I am, and for good reason. It’s kind of like tough love. Do you know what that is?”


I’m not sure that I knew what any kind of love was. My classmates didn’t seem to have much use for me and I didn’t feel loved at home. Was tough love what my father gave me when he belted me and prefaced the beating with saying he was doing it because he loved me? That didn’t make any sense to me at all.


Miss Kozak must have thought I was what Shakespeare termed “a dumb show”. Eyes downcast, I stood mute, numb, dumb beside her desk. 


“Tough love is the act of treating someone sternly with the intention of helping them in the long term. If I mark easily, a talented student might settle for “good enough” instead of best. Acknowledging that our best is often none too good keeps us striving for excellence. Excellence isn’t easy to attain, but it’s worth the effort it requires. Achieving excellence is its own reward, a reward that goes beyond high marks and a good report card.”


“But my father demands and expects high marks!” I blurted, feeling tears coming on.


Miss Kozak’s voice was soft, gentle when she said, “Danuta, look at me.”


I did. Miss Kozak’s eyes were filled with a kindness I’d never noticed in her as she continued: 


“Danuta, this is not about your father. This is about you. I want what’s best for you. I believe, that if you work with me now, together we can raise that 51% to 80% or better. I also believe you have the ability to become an excellent writer in the future. Maybe one day you’ll even write a book. And if you do, I’ll be first in line to buy a signed copy.” 


I couldn’t believe what Miss Kozak was saying. Did she really believe I had what it took to one day write a book? It was what I dreamed of every time I scribbled those poems and stories no-one ever read, the ones squirrelled away in a shoebox in my bedroom closet. How had Miss Kozak discovered my deepest desires for my future, the ones only I knew and about which no-one else cared? Was she magical, or did she recognize a bit of herself in me? 


Whatever the case, what Miss Kozak said to me that day worked. She even asked me about any writing I was doing in my private time. She said she’d love to read some of my “scribbles”. Eventually, I found the courage to share them with her and she read them all. She offered me pointers on how to make the good ones better, and took the time after class, to discuss the pros and cons of each class assignment I submitted. 


Of course, some of my classmates started mocking me for being “Kozak’s pet”. Others couldn’t care less. I didn’t care what any of them felt either way. All that mattered to me was that another human being, Miss Kozak, cared about me and my future. 


When the principal handed out the year-end report cards at the general assembly and announced my name as the recipient of the “Most Improved in English” certificate, I was filled with a rare kind of joy: the joy of achievement. Without Miss Kozak, this joyous moment would never have happened.


Many years later when I finally wrote that book, I included Miss Kozak in the dedication: 


“With special thanks to Miss Kozak for believing in me when I didn’t believe in myself”. What a mentor she had been.


“Danuta? Are you still with us? You asked about Miss Kozak?”


I’m brought back to the present by Maggie. She tells me that Miss Kozak passed away a couple of years ago. She was a grandmother by then and apparently had an extensive library in her home. 


“You might like to know, Danuta, that when her children were sorting out and packing up her books, they found an unsigned copy of your book in her collection. They donated it to our school library here. What was especially interesting about that copy is that below your dedication to her, she had scribbled ‘Believed, Achieved’. She really was a great teacher, wasn’t she?”


“Incomparable,” I reply.


Miss Kozak owned an UNSIGNED copy of my book? This bit of news hurts. I excuse myself. I need to leave this happily reunited group. I couldn’t possibly explain to them that the sadness I’m suddenly feeling is about more than the fact that I won’t see Miss Kozak here today.

May 18, 2023 21:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Amanda Lieser
03:23 Jun 06, 2023

Hi Viga, I loved your take on this prompt because I think some of the best teachers are the ones who are willing to push their students. You captured reminiscing very well in this piece. It absolutely felt like someone who has lived many years and has discovered the importance of valuing the ones who helped you get there. I loved the humor in this piece, all the little details reinforced by the way old friends talk. Nice work!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anna W
04:22 Jun 02, 2023

Really enjoyed this story, Viga. Such sadness that no child should have to face, yet you wrote in a way that was swelling with some hopefulness at the end. Oh the difference we can make in the lives of others, if we will just reach out a hand of love and compassion. Loved it!

Reply

Viga Boland
15:10 Jun 02, 2023

Thanks ever so much for your kind comments Anna. And you are so right about the difference we can make in others’ lives by reaching out to them. So much more of this needs doing. Thanks for the “follow”. Will do the same.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
04:47 May 25, 2023

Both the Catholic Girls school and the Reunion work great as settings to this piece. The implied fear of the teachers and the disconnectedness with the old classmates really comes through. How lucky for Danuta to have such a formidable mentor and what a caring one she turned out to be. Although it is sad that Danuta did not have the opportunity to meet again face-to-face with Miss Kozak, the fact that her book was among Miss Kozak's things let's the readers know that the respect was both mutual and long-lasting. Very heart warming.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:03 May 25, 2023

Thanks Wally. Nice to see you back, reading and commenting on Reedsy stories. I am slowing down on all of the writing, reading and commenting right now…the last two being very time-consuming. With summer here, lots of grass to mow and other summer-related duties or pleasures, time for a bit of a break. Hope things are as good as can be on your home front?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:06 May 24, 2023

A lovely story Viga. What a great mentor!

Reply

Viga Boland
18:25 May 24, 2023

Hi Helen Thanks so much for reading my story. Glad you liked it. I haven’t been on here much lately…busy with household duties like lawn mowing which wears me out at my age…and book review work that had to take priority over both Reedsy writing and reading. I hope to get around to all you loyal followers as soon as passible so I can return the reads and comments. 😉

Reply

Helen A Smith
19:46 May 24, 2023

I’m not keen on lawn mowing. I wish there were more hours in the day sometimes. I wish I could read and write more. It all takes so much time - like you say. 😓

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:27 May 23, 2023

A perfect fit for the prompt. What I particularly like is that she explained what she was doing with the tough love, and why. Without that, her actions might have come across as callous or arbitrary - particularly to someone mired in the other stresses of the high school years. The ending then becomes bittersweet. The connection between the two of them was clearly two-way, but it feels like it could have been so much more. Alas, the teacher passed on - which ties to the earlier musings about being faced with aging. Our time here is limited...

Reply

Viga Boland
02:19 May 24, 2023

Thanks so much Michael for dropping by and leaving your thoughts on my submission. As always, your insights into the relationship between teacher and student are spot on. I’m glad you sensed snd understood the importance of this teacher to the narrator. Her influence and care were what the student needed to develop her skills. Her life might have turned out very differently otherwise.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mark VanTassel
21:25 May 20, 2023

This is excellent. I had this experience with David Ludden when I was in eighth grade. It was a small one-room school, and he taught me English grammar, math, history, and science, bringing me from fifth grade level work to ninth grade level work over one year. Thank you for sharing such a nuanced portrait of good teaching.

Reply

Viga Boland
22:37 May 20, 2023

Why thank you so much Mark for reading and commenting. Your David Ludden sounds like a top teacher too. I’ll be over to read your story on same prompt soon. ✌️👌

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
14:57 May 20, 2023

I was so excited to see a Viga story this week. Missed your work these two weeks! And what a story to come back with. It’s creative nonfiction, so I know this was drawn directly from your own life, and I loved how real you made it, how much we got to be inside your MC’s head. Miss Kozak identified your gift early in life, and it still shines today. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Viga Boland
16:00 May 20, 2023

You nailed it i.e. the reality behind the story. So kind of you to say you missed my work these past two weeks. Thank you. I had too many long books awaiting review so it was a good thing none of the prompts spoke to me in the interim. This one kept pestering me while I still hadn’t finished the reviews. So I wrote it and today’s job is to write one last review 😂 Ironically, none of this week’s prompts appeal and I have no books awaiting review either!! Gonna have to find some other sites to submit to…maybe paying ones, pretty please 🙏🙏 O...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:41 May 21, 2023

Now I’m blushing! I love reading your stories, there is so much authenticity in them, and I think it’s because you draw on your own life for inspiration, and the tales you tell sparkle with life and vitality. Keep writing, I will keep reading!

Reply

Viga Boland
13:29 May 22, 2023

I’ve been reflecting all weekend on what I write and have concluded that it’s because I draw from my own life and, for the most part, try to put positive spins on the negatives in life, that my creative non-fiction stories will never be shortlisted, let alone win on Reedsy. Judges here seem to favor creative fiction. I struggle creating fiction. So, long term, with the exception of those who enjoy shorter reflections on life, more akin to personal essays, Reedsy is not the place to post my “stories”. One simple reason: most publications wan...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:47 May 22, 2023

I get that. If you do submit your work elsewhere, know that I’m only an email away, and am happy to read and respond to your stories, especially if you want an extra set of eyes over the text, or some moral support or communal commiseration, during the process.

Reply

Viga Boland
14:08 May 22, 2023

Thanks Michelle. 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
12:39 May 19, 2023

I had several Miss Kozaks in school, and I appreciate every one of them - now. That's the lot of a teacher, my friend. Our best work is never seen when our students leave us and make their marks in the world. Heartwarming tale, Viga. Nicely done, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Viga Boland
13:22 May 19, 2023

Thanks Delbert. Felt good to write again after a 2-week break to get book reviews fininished 🙄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
02:38 May 19, 2023

Kudos to Miss Kozak. Incomparable story once again, Viga. 'Believed, Achieved' you are living it. (When I go to my class reunions I always wonder 'who let all these old people in?';)

Reply

Viga Boland
13:21 May 19, 2023

Love your final statement 😂 Ain’t that the truth?! Thanks for reading, Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
23:55 May 18, 2023

Hey Viga, I enjoyed this story. Many kids reminisce about high school and shake Danuta back to a pleasant memory she otherwise may have forgotten. Cool premise. Everyone in high school needs a Miss Kozak. LF6

Reply

Viga Boland
02:34 May 19, 2023

Thanks for reading Lily. Yes, we all can use a Miss Kozak even after high school. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
23:28 May 18, 2023

What’s most interesting about this non-fiction piece is you have it marked “sad”. “Inspirational” is a better fit in my view. Danuta did write a book after all. How many can say that? And “fortunate” fits also. Yes, Danuta was fortunate to gain Miss Kozak’s mentorship, but Danuta was also fortunate for the wisdom to know what was important in a life well lived; while a more shallow soul might think a Florida second home was all life is about. Once again, a far deeper story, between the lines.

Reply

Viga Boland
02:32 May 19, 2023

Thanks Jack. Excellent points. Will change categories. Always find the categories provided inadequate. Appreciate your insight into this story. Worked hard at it. Haven’t had time to write for two weeks. Felt good to get back to it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mark VanTassel
21:28 May 20, 2023

Very nice review.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.