Unfinished Business

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write a story about someone who's haunted by their past.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Thriller Adventure

It is raining, and Marty decides to walk home from work, anyway. It is a warm summer's day, he thinks to himself, "I won't melt lol!" Marty lucked out with his work location and the closeness of it, to his apartment building. He is still amazed at how it all worked out.

As he takes the elevator to his floor, the doors open, he sees his neighbour from apartment 45C as he puts his key in the door to his apartment. "Hi, Susan!" His neighbour swings around Marty waves back to her and says, "Hey, how's it going, hope you can make it to the building barbeque Saturday night!" Marty pauses for a moment almost, forgetting about the barbeque and quickly says to Susan, "Right, yes, of course, I will be there with bells on!" 

Marty is dreading going to the building barbeque it isn't like he doesn't like the people in the building, it is just that he is trying to start fresh, anew but isn't exactly ready to divulge any of his life just yet. For Marty, it is new beginnings and a whole new persona, for he must do so and get it right, for if he does not, the outcome would be deadly. The phone rings it is his brother Roy in Edmonton, Alberta, "Hey Marty, have you gotten all settled in yet?" Marty is not surprised that his brother is so blunt and to the point, for he knows how crucial it is for him to re-invent himself. "Roy, I am doing fine things are falling into place." 

Marty gives his brother an update of his progress how he lucked out on getting a job in Marketing even though he has no experience or training in it. But Roy made sure he had all of his brother’s paperwork and contacts lined up, so there would be no discrepancy in his credentials. “Roy you did a great job with my background information, I made sure to study it and get it down when I went for the marketing interview, they were very impressed with my credentials (wink-wink)!” Marty was so thankful to have a brother that was so resourceful when it came to matters like this, for this was a matter of life and death.

"I hope you are keeping a low profile Marty you know why I call you Marty so you can get used to the name…you know that, right? Marty or the man called "Marty" signs and says, "Yes…I understand it has taken some getting used to I do believe I have assimilated quite nicely." Roy is pleased with his brother's progress and ends the call, "Good Marty…now if you run into any problem, whatsoever; please call me day or night, good night brother." Marty breaths in and ends the call with his brother, "I will Roy thanks, stay alert and be careful and good night." 

It is Saturday, and Marty is building up his back story for the building barbeque tonight. He must be believable and unassuming to the tenants and not give off any inkling of a past life, that he would rather forget. Marty has been assigned by the group's gathering tonight to supply some of the drinks, napkins, plastic knives and forks etc. It is mid-morning, he has not gone to pick up the supplies for tonight, so he grabs his car keys and drives to the grocery store. As he makes his way around the store, he runs into one of the tenants from his building Sam.  A man close to Marty's age and in the same line of work as well.

"Hey, Marty picking up stuff for tonight!" Sam asks as he walks over to Marty with his shopping cart. Marty looks up from his shopping cart, and sees that it is Sam and puts himself into "Marty Mode." "Hey Sam, yeah I am doing just that I think I will bring some beer and wine along as well, what do you think??" Sam's eyes light up, "Sure Marty, it is strictly for adults tonight, so if you bring some alcoholic beverages, we won't complain, I 'll see you tonight!" Marty chuckles at Sam's exhilaration about his bringing of merry beverages and says, “No worries see you tonight!”

It is almost seven o'clock Marty is packing up his contribution to tonight's festivities. The invitation stated that everyone would be gathering to set up everything on the rooftop of the building. Marty grabs the bags filled with refreshments and utensils and makes his way to the roof.  He steps out of the elevator and welcomed by many of the tenants in the building. Susan spots him and gestures for him to come over where she is, "Marty I am so glad that you could make it tonight, now follow me, so you can see where to, put the refreshments and utensils." Marty follows Susan to a series of long tables draped with checkerboard table clothes loaded with bowls of summer salads, desserts and a spot for alcoholic beverages.

 "Susan, I want to thank you for being so welcoming to me since I have moved in." Susan puts her hand on Marty's shoulder and says, "We are one big family here, a neighbourhood we all look out for each other, so please make yourself at home and mingle, everyone is looking forward to getting to know you much better!" Marty breathes a sigh of relief, smiles and heads to the refreshments table to dish himself up a plate of barbeque, salad and a beer. Marty makes up a plate, Sam shows up and waves to Marty across the room. As the night goes on, Marty's introduced to the majority of the tenants in the building, and pleasantly surprised how easy it is to put on this whole facade. 

Sam goes to the front of the room and taps his wine glass to get everyone's attention, "Hello and good evening everyone I am so pleased that all of you, have gathered here tonight, for this important and long-awaited event!" Marty chalks it up to the first barbeque of the summer and continues to enjoy his meal until what happens…next. "Marty, would you please come to the front of the room please!" Marty is a little startled by this and gestures to Sam waving his hand, "No, that is alright, you don't have to make a big deal of the "new" guy in the building!" Marty says attempting to, sound modest and unassuming. But Sam insists, begrudgingly Marty joins Sam at the front of the room.

"Well, everyone, the long wait is finally over…I am so happy and relieved of the outcome we have achieved I want to thank everyone for all of the time and effort you have put into this momentous occasion!" Sam then turns to Marty and says, "Welcome back, Kevin it has been too long without you as part of the collective!" All of the tenants in the room raise their glasses and start chanting "All hail "Kevin" the chosen one!!!" Marty drops his drink and makes a mad dash for the doors, but it is too late the tenants or the "Flock" have blocked it to prevent him from leaving. "Welcome back, "Kevin" your destiny awaits!" as Sam proclaims this to Kevin, the flock drag him away for the ceremony kicking and screaming. "Kevin, your cries for help will not help you we own, this entire building!"  Kevin becomes unhinged and frantic, trying to break free from meeting his destiny for his destiny is to be a sacrifice for the "Flock.” Kevin knows it is pointless to fight and surrenders to it…he can no longer run from the past that has haunted him every day for three long years then walks into the chamber to meet his destiny.

July 24, 2020 20:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Stephanie Harris
09:21 Jul 30, 2020

i love the twist at the ending, and i think that the character Marty is well developed!

Reply

15:08 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you, so much Stephanie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.