6 comments

Fantasy Adventure Mystery


Pride and satisfaction flowed through my veins as I drove up to the old house. It was built sometime in the eighteenth century and the historical building fit my personality perfectly. Great Aunt Ulna left me the house when she died. The lawyers gave me the deed and the keys yesterday. I couldn't wait to move in.

               Why did Aunt Ulna leave the house to me? I have no idea. Our family is large. I have three brothers and three sisters and over fifty first cousins. I've never counted the second cousins.

               For such a big family we get along surprisingly well, at least during the yearly family reunion, not that I attend with any regularity. I'm awkward in crowds; I usually find a corner in which to hide. My mother asked me to attend this year so I made the effort. I promised myself that I would talk to ten different people. I thought that was a large enough number to fulfill any family obligation. 

               The reunion was a success, at least according to my mom. As soon as I saw the crowd of people, I froze in terror. A woman close to my grandfather's age walked over to me. "You look like you are going to faint. I'm Ulna."

 "You're eyes remind me of my grandfather's." I searched my memory to come up with a family connection. "I think you are my grandfather's sister."

               "If your grandfather is Jeremiah, then you're right. I am your grandfather's sister, " Aunt Ulna said. "Did you come to the reunion last year? I don't remember seeing you."

 "I couldn't get time off from work." I hadn't asked for time off the previous year; it was just a slight stretch of the truth. "I asked for vacation early this year because I wanted to make sure that I could be here. I want to learn as much as I can about our family history." I thought it would be disrespectful to admit that I was here to please my mother.

               "Are you interested in history?" Ulna asked. "Do you have a copy of our family book?"

               I didn't even know that we had a family book. "No. Are they for sale? I would love to have one." This time I was telling the truth. The book would be a valuable resource when I was talking to a distant relative and even some that were not so distant. I could use the book to discover how we were related.

               Ulna told me how to order a copy. I thanked her and looked at the crowd. I dreaded the thought but I was going to mingle. "Do you study history?" I heard myself ask Ulna instead of leaving to talk to a distant relative.

               "I know a little about American history, especially the Revolutionary War," Ulna answered. I thought she had a strange twinkle in her eyes but it was probably the light.

               "Do you mind sitting over there?" I gestured to two vacant chairs in the corner. "I'm fascinated by the Revolutionary War."

               Four hours later the party was over. "We're cleaning up." I looked to see a cousin or second cousin trying to sweep around our chairs.

 

               "My goodness! Look at the time," Aunt Ulna exclaimed. "It was wonderful talking to a fellow history buff. I hope we can do this again next year." She died a week later and left her house to me.

 

The house isn't big enough to be called a mansion and it's too big to be considered an ordinary house. The best description would be a manor house, like the wealthy aristocrats have in Europe. It is made of brick and stands three stories tall. 

 Inside, polished oak steps lead to the second floor. I'm impressed that none of them squeak as I climb to the landing. I plan to air out the master bedroom so I can sleep comfortably tonight. An oak door faces the stairway; this must be the master bedroom. The hinges must be well oiled because it opens without a sound. The room is beautiful, large with its own balcony overlooking a rose garden. I open the French Doors to let in the breeze. There is even an attached master bath, which I didn't expect because the house is almost two-hundred-fifty years old. It has matching marble sinks, a jet tub and the shower is big enough for two people.

               My original plan was to explore the house today and make lists. One list for the furnishings that I need to buy, another list to stock the kitchen, and a list of needed repairs. This plan is revised after I carry heavy suitcases up those beautiful stairs. Four trips from the car and I'm too exhausted for lists. I fall into bed without even looking at the kitchen.

               I've been sleeping for over an hour when the sound of boots on the hardwood floor forces me to wake up.

               "Did you get the items that I need? Especially the food, we desperately need food." the voice came from a man in a revolutionary war uniform. 

               Am I dreaming? Aunt Ulna and I spent four hours talking about the revolutionary war and now I'm in her house sleeping in her bed. I answer the soldier, "I don't have anything for you. I didn't know that you needed anything. How could I? I've never seen you before."

 The soldier stepped over to the bed and put his face inches from mine. I smelled sweat and traces of gunpowder. "You are not the same woman that was here before. What have you done with her? Are you a British spy?"

               "Certainly not! We are not at war with the British!" This was the most vivid dream that I've ever had.

               "We're at war in my time. Please, just bring some food and some warm socks." The soldier turned to leave. I watched him go through the full-length mirror by the closet door.

 

Hunger struck the next morning. A visit to the grocery store was the first thing on my "to do" list. 

               Naturally coffee went into my shopping cart, followed by milk, juice, eggs, and cereal. The soldier from my dream flashed through my mind, asking for food. I bought a whole case of powdered milk and five ten-pound bags of flour. I felt silly adding ten pounds of butter to my order but that went into the cart as well as fifteen pounds of pinto beans.

               "Are you going on a long camping trip?" The checkout clerk asked.

               "I Just moved into my Aunt Ulna's house and I need a lot of basics," I replied. There was no way that I was going to say that a man walked through my mirror and told me to buy these things.

               "Ulna was a fine lady. She always bought a lot of flour and beans. I wondered if she supplied a soup kitchen." Apparently, the clerk thought I would confirm her theory.

               "I miss her very much," I paid for my purchases and hurried to my car.

               The next stop was the sporting goods store. I bought all the warm socks that I could find. "I remember your Aunt Ulna buying dozens of socks. I always wondered what she did with all of them." The clerk looked at me for an answer.

               "Aunt Ulna cared about the homeless. I hope to continue her good works." I ran to the car before I had to answer any more questions.

 

I made a neat pile in front of the mirror. I planned to wait until tomorrow to see if the soldier returned. 

               "Are you going to live here now? The lady who used to live here piled stuff in front of the mirror just like you did." I turned and saw an adorable little girl standing in the doorway.

               "How did you get in?" I asked, but I remembered leaving the front door open in my haste to reach the mirror.

               "I walked," the little girl answered. "My name is Lucy and I live next door."

 "Lucy! Lucy! Are you in this house? Haven't I told you not to go into other people's homes?" A woman's urgent shouts floated up the stairs.

               "I gotta' go. Don't tell my Mom that I was here or I'll get in trouble." Lucy dashed down the stairs, straight into her mother's arms.

               "You really should keep your door closed," Lucy's mom scolded me before she left with Lucy clutched tightly in her arms.

               I closed the front door, then returned to my bedroom. The disorganized pile of things still in front of the mirror.

               As I watched, I saw a man in a revolutionary war uniform appear. I turned to look behind me but there wasn't anyone there. When I returned my gaze to the mirror the soldier was picking up the things and handing them to someone on the other side of the mirror.

               "I didn't know what kind of food you wanted. I hope these things will help."

               The soldier lifted a bag of flour and replied. "This will help. Thank you. Ulna used to give us dried meat. Do you think you could find some?"

               I remembered a display of beef jerky at the grocery store. "Yes, I'll get as much as I can." I hadn't noticed last night but the soldier was gaunt as he hadn't had a good meal in months. "Can I fix you a hot meal or would you like to take something with you?" I resolved to have sandwiches ready next time.

               "You are very kind, but I need to get back. The British are going to attack tonight; at least that is the rumor." He stepped through the mirror.

 

Naturally, I hurried to buy all the beef jerky that I could find. I didn't even think about the front door as I hastened to put the jerky into a burlap bag that I found in the kitchen. I ran up the steps to the bedroom carrying the bag of meat.

               I was able to resist walking through the mirror for about an hour; then curiosity took over. I grabbed the burlap bag and walked to the smooth glass. Tentatively, I reached out my hand. Instead of a cold hard surface, I felt hot air. I took a step, then another. I was on the other side!

               I was in a burning building. "You have to get out of here! The ceiling is about to cave in!" My soldier grabbed my arm and hauled me out of the burning building.

               The unmistakable smell of cordite gunpowder filled the air.

               "You're dedication to help our fight for independence is commendable, but not very safe." A loud crash made it impossible to hear the rest of his words. The remains of the building fell in flames to the ground.

               I stayed with the soldier all night; cannon fire our constant companion. Words cannot describe the terror. War is not very romantic when you are in the middle of the fighting.

 

The next morning I looked at the rubble that used to be the building and my ticket to my own time.

               "I'm sorry, you shouldn't be here. You belong in the future, but without the mirror, I don't think you can get back. The portal is gone if the mirror is broken." The soldier's voice was filled with sadness for my predicament.

               I was frantic! I didn't know how to live in the eighteenth century. I didn't have money, clothes, or a skill that would be useful.

               "Hi!" I heard the voice of a little girl. She stepped away from the chimney, the only part of the building that was still standing. Then I saw it. A mirror was covered in soot and propped against the chimney.

               "We have to get home before your mother is mad at both of us." I picked up Lucy and stepped to the mirror.

 

April 22, 2020 17:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Mono Lexo
15:22 Jun 13, 2020

I liked the flow of this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mishka Stennett
14:54 May 01, 2020

I loved the development...what an interesting story...

Reply

Carille Durbin
16:38 May 01, 2020

Thank you, this was a fun story to think about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
18:44 Apr 30, 2020

A little slow in the exposition but an entertaining read.

Reply

Carille Durbin
16:39 May 01, 2020

Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Justin Bales
20:33 Aug 15, 2020

Time travel with a purpose. I like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.