The Night They Disappeared

Submitted into Contest #59 in response to: Set your story in a small town where everyone is suspicious of newcomers.... view prompt

3 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Thriller

I close my eyes, take in a deep breath, and smile. It smells just like Grandma's house. It feels so natural to be here again. It's been four years since I've moved away from home, but it seems like only days. The olive green carpet in the entryway leads to a giant hallway mirror. I glance at myself in it, and suddenly, a childhood memory comes rushing back to me.



"Darling, we're here," Mom says as Dad stops the car. I slowly blink my eyes open as the engine turns off and the radio stops playing country music. I stretch and unbuckle, grabbing my stuffed giraffe and hopping out of the car. Twice each year, we drive an hour to Grandma's house; once for summer vacation, and once for winter break. This year, just as I turn eight, we are coming a little early for summer vacation. 

Mom and Dad go to the back of our car to get the suitcases while I run up to the front door. Grandma opens it almost immediately, holding out her arms for a hug. I jump into her arms and say, "Grandma! Grandma! I've missed you! Where's Peaches? Where is she? Did you know I lost a tooth? Also, I got a pet frog! He had to go to Lilia's house while we came here, though." She laughs as she says, "Peaches is the living room, waiting for you."

I rush into the house as Grandma talks to Mom and Dad. I go through the entryway, past the guest bedroom, through the kitchen, and into the living room. Peaches barks and wags her tail when I run in. I giggle and sit on the couch while she jumps up. Knowing that the adults will talk for a while, I grab the remote and flick the TV on to any kids channel I can find. With Peaches on my lap, I slowly feel my head nod forward as I fall asleep.

I wake up snuggled in warm blankets and instantly smell the cozy scent of pancakes. I hop out of bed and rush into the kitchen, nearly slipping on the cool tile floors. Mom and Grandma are talking in the dining room, and Dad is cooking. The radio is on, playing local news. In such a small town, everyone knows what's happening so quickly that it would seem a radio station would be pointless, but it was there anyways. The sunshine is peeking through the windows, and Peaches is playing with a toy. The announcer says, "...and that will be all for today's weather report. Now, the news," and a new voice picks up, saying, "Really nothing alarming going on today, folks, you can easily enjoy this lovely Sunday at rest--Oh, sorry, something just came in." Mom and Grandma stop talking to listen. "It appears there is a newcomer. They are driving down West Street right now. You know what this means, folks! Now, hurry up, quickly now, they are set to arrive in town in-" there is a pause, "fifteen minutes. That's all for today!" The radio starts playing music again, but all seems quiet. Mom and Grandma just stare out the window, and Dad forgets to flip a burning pancake. 

In just a few seconds, everything changes. Mom rushes to close the blinds, Grandma turns out the lights, and Dad turns off the stove. "What's happening?" I ask, completely confused by my family's behavior. 

"We'll explain soon dear," Dad says, hurrying to turn off the air conditioning. "For now, just sit there and play with Peaches, please." 

I obey, as I usually listen to my parents, and just watch as they shut all the doors and windows, turn off the lights, and stop the radio. 

Dad takes my hand, leads us into the basement, and locks the door. "Ok, dear, I'll tell you now if you're sure you want to know," he tells me. 

Naturally, the added, "if you're sure you want to know," only makes me more interested so I say, "Yes, Dad," and he begins his story.

"Eleven years ago, a newcomer came to town. As you know, people pass through here all the time when on road trips and such, so this was not at all unusual. The newcomer asked around town to find a place to stay. Again, no one thought much of it, and the first place he asked at, home to a kind family, gladly lent him their guest bedroom for the night. Everyone in town knew by that very afternoon that there was a newcomer staying briefly. Now, at this time, I was a teenager and would take nighttime car rides often. I just so happened to be driving down the road of that family's home when it happened. Their home just--disappeared. Absolutely gone. No furniture, people, or structure was left. Just an area of grass where a multi-story house had been moments before. I panicked and drove to the police station where no one believed what I said. ‘Yeah, yeah, we'll check in the morning,’ they told me. They did check in the morning, and found what I had told them: just the plot of land on which the house previously stood.. The family was never found, but the newcomer appeared and drove away the next morning like nothing had ever happened.

"Now, ever since that night, every new person that has come to town has asked to spend the night, and anyone who let them disappeared along with their home. That's why we had to hide down here. We need to make it seem like no one's home. Do you understand?" My dad finishes. I nod, terrified. Suddenly, we hear a knock on the door upstairs. I freeze. It comes again a few moments later. I'm shaking with fear. Another knock. Then, nothing.



I'm quickly brought back to the present day. "Oh, hello, I didn't hear you come in," Grandma says, hugging me. 

"Sorry Grandma, I was just thinking about the newcomer that came when I was little," I reply. 

Grandma tightens, and frowns. "Ah, I see. Well, luckily there hasn't been one here for quite a few years now," she tells me. 

"That's good," I say. 

Grandma leads me into the kitchen while saying, "I was just making strawberry cheesecake, your favorite, when you got here!" I smile, noticing the scent of baked goods. I take a slice and dish one up for Grandma before sitting down on the couch. With old Peaches on my lap, and Grandma for company, I savor the creamy taste of the dessert. Things couldn't be better.

Then, I notice something.

A strange car pulls up. 

An unfamiliar person walks out.

There is a knock at the door.



Grandma slowly stands up. "What are you doing?" I ask her. "That's a newcomer!" I say, the word sending a shiver down my neck. She glances at me, but says nothing. I follow her as she hobbles over to the front door. She unlocks it and slowly creaks it fully open, revealing an older man. 

"Hello, do you have room for me to stay the night?" he asks, his eyes shining. To my surprise, Grandma gives him a little push and laughs. 

"Dan, don't joke around like that," she says.

"Grandma, who is this?" I ask her. She turns her head quickly, as if just realizing I had followed her.

"Oh! Hello, dear. This is Dan, or as you might know him, Grandpa," she tells me. I stand still, completely dumbfounded. Grandpa? But he died when I was a toddler. I know that. Grandma continues, "Now, I believe we need to tell you something. Grandpa didn't die. He was visited by one of the first newcomers, and though he knew what happened when the others were let in, he took pity on the dirty young man and let him stay the night. After the sun had set, the man woke him up and said, 'You have been recruited,' before disappearing. Grandpa suddenly had a vivid shock sent through him. Then, he woke up in a strange car. There was a note on the dashboard: If someone allows you to stay until night, you must tell them they have been recruited. Then, you will return to normal life in a new universe. Grandpa was terrified when he realized that he couldn't leave his car except to go up to someone's home, as if the vehicle knew. Grandpa didn't want anyone else to have to go through what he did, and besides, why would he want to go to an alternate universe when he was still able to come here? Of course, he looked completely different so it took a while before I fully trusted him, but this is Grandpa," she finishes. I stare at the man who I now know is my grandpa. 

"So, you two have known each other all this time, but haven't told me?" I ask.

"Oh, but this is getting quite dull," Grandpa says, his face adopting a strange expression. "I do often wonder what the alternate universe is like." He closes the door, blocking out the final rays of the setting sun, and steps in. Grandma stops smiling. 

"What are you doing, Dan?" she asks.

"You have been recruited," he says.


September 17, 2020 00:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Elle Clark
07:55 Sep 22, 2020

This is a really unusual plot! I want to know more about who or what is recruiting and what their motives are. Very interesting read, well done!

Reply

Fox Reads
12:53 Sep 22, 2020

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I was hoping for that sort of confused reaction, as if you aren't certain what will happen next. Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Reply

Elle Clark
12:56 Sep 22, 2020

Well you nailed it! It was very twilight zone. If you’re interested and have time, feel free to check one of mine out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.