0 comments

Contemporary Romance Funny

“How many times do I have to ask him to fix my walk-in closet?” Daisy’s sister Rebecca complained as they sat outside on the patio drinking sundowners.

“Rebecca, don’t you think you’re overreacting?”

“Overreacting? Daisy, in the last week I’ve gotten three hanging rails worth of clothing and I have nowhere to put them.”

“Don’t you think it might be a sign that you have too many clothes?”

“Too many cl . . .” Rebecca huffed out, irritation creeping up her face. “You know what little sister. You simply don’t understand the importance of image and style.”

“Have you considered that quality time together means more than all of these materialistic things you’re so obsessed with? Claude loves you and he bends over backward to make you happy, yet all you see is what he hasn’t done.”

“There you go again, always defending him.”

“I’m not defending him. I’m only saying.”

“You know, if I didn’t push him all the time, we wouldn’t have all these nice things.” Rebecca gestured around her from the house to the pool in the backyard.

“Rebecca, I’m not trying to pick a fight.” Daisy knew when her sister started reasoning like this, there was no point in trying to convince her otherwise.

“Instead of sitting here defending him, you can go and tell him to fix my closet.” Rebecca took a sip from her cocktail and placed a cucumber on her eyes, meaning this conversation was over.

With a sigh, Daisy got up with her empty glass and made her way back to the kitchen. She nearly jumped out of her skin when Claude’s face appeared behind the counter.

“Claude, you scared me.” Placing her hand over her heart she moved closer to where he was kneeling next to the sink. “What are you doing?”

“Our housekeeper mentioned that the sink has been clogging up, so I’m trying to fix it before she goes to Rebecca and creates unnecessary stress for her.” He disappeared under the sink as Daisy made her way to the fridge.

“My sister is very lucky to have you. Any girl would give their right arm to have a man like you. Heck, I want a man like you, but I fear they stopped producing your kind at the factory.”

“And what kind is that?” A familiar voice turned Daisy’s focus back to the counter.

“A kind you are definitely unfamiliar with.” She retorted with a sly grin. “What brings you to the nice side of town, Kurt?” Placing the juice she got from the fridge on the counter she was met with his body leaning against the wall.

“Always a pleasure to see you, Daisy dear.” He took the glass she just filled up and gulped down the juice.

“Real mature.” Her eyebrows knitted together and he wanted to place his lips right in the center and feel it melt away. Shocked by his own thoughts he put the glass down and took a few steps away from her, moving over to where Claude was laying on his back. “So why are you here?” she repeated pouring more juice.

“I happen to be the kind of man who comes to his brother’s rescue and who is going to fix the sink.”

Claude scooted out from under the sink and was on his feet before Daisy even filled up her glass.

“Thank God! You don’t know how long I’ve been trying to fix this thing.” He handed Kurt the wrench as he slapped his hands against his pants.

“Did you turn off the water?” Kurt wanted to make sure before he found himself in a wet t-shirt competition.

“Yes . . . or wait. Let me go and check.” And off he went leaving Kurt and Daisy alone in the kitchen. Waiting for his brother to get back, Kurt’s gaze turned back to Daisy. Even though their siblings have been married for three years and they have been in each other’s company for a good amount of family gatherings, he has never really looked at her. With her head barely reaching his shoulders and her dirty blonde hair so straight it looks like a cow licked it, he couldn’t see why he would be attracted to her in any case. Not to mention she always teased him and made sure he knew she only saw him as the washout he was.

“What?” Her airy voice brought him back.

“Huh?” He tried to read the situation.

“Why are you looking at me like that? Do I have something on me?” She started patting her hair and face while looking up and down her yellow sundress for a sign of something out of place.

“No, you look fine.”

“You sure?” She continues to touch her body which only made him more aware of her.

“Daisy, please stop.” He breathed unable to keep his eyes off of her.

Her arms immediately fell to her side as she stared at him with her coral green eyes.

“Uhm . . . how’s work?” she instigated conversation again.

‘Good, yes, work. Let’s talk about my pathetic life as a handyman. That’s all she’s ever seen me as.’ He thought to himself grabbing the pair of gloves his brother left on the floor.

“Work is great. I have such a passion for cleaning people’s gutters and changing light bulbs.” Wow, sarcasm was a bitch went it wanted to be, he realized.

“You make it sound like you don’t like what you do?”

“What gave it away?” He couldn’t place where all this sneering suddenly came from, but he couldn’t seem to stop himself.

“No need to be rude.”

“Look, Daisy. Why don’t we stop the small talk? We both know you’re smarter, kinder and more loveable than I am. And you think no more of me than the bum on the street.” As the words flew out of his mouth, he realized she was all those things and more. How is it that he only came to realize it now?

“I’m sorry, what?” she stuttered in confusion. “Are you high or something?”

“What? No.” Or at least he didn’t think he was.

“Where do you come off saying all those things? I never said you were anything less than I am. I know I’ve teased you a few times, but I never meant anything by it.” Hurt and guilt danced around her face which only made him feel like more of an ass.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean . . . I don’t know what came over me.” Pathetic excuses rolled off of his tongue.

“On the contrary,” She continued like he didn’t even say anything “I admire your thoughtfulness and your ambition. You work day in and day out trying to build something for yourself. It’s more than I can say about myself.”

“No, Daisy. You are all those things and more. You light up a room with your smile and wittiness and every time you speak to me or tease me, you still the voices in my head telling me I’m not good enough which only makes me crave your company more.” And with each word he spoke, feelings he didn’t even know he had expanded. How could he have been so blind?

“Okay.” She slowly articulated. “Now that we have that cleared out, I’m going to go back outside.” And he could hear the shock and confusion in her voice.

Stumbling a little as she backed away, Kurt could not help but curve his lip upwards as his mind already started planning how he’s going to kiss those puffy peach lips.

December 18, 2020 22:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.