0 comments

Fantasy

The air was filled with the sweet scent of newly bloomed gardenias, and the sky looked as if an artist painted light pastels and dabbed it with white silk clouds, the streets were less crowded than usual, and all that seemed to roam on it were a group of girls and a about 5 other people. It was slightly chilly and everyone was bundled in scarves and coats.

I looked over at the signs of the window shops on the side of the streets reading over each one. Marie's Diner, BeYOUtiful Boutique, Kelvin's Tailor, Ally's Angel Saloon, and then the one I had been searching for Antoinette's Cafe. I smiled and pushed open the door, the sound of a small bell rang as I opened it, and the small antique cafe with creme walls and dark oak tables greeted me.

As I was walking in I was welcomed as usual by Willow the owner, a friend who I've always held dear, her short black hair and green emerald eyes were as beautiful as ever.

"Ms. Thang, welcome back!" She smiled, her cheeks a rosy pink as she was brewing her tea. The cafe smelled like a mixture of freshly brewed tea and coffee grounds, bits of Mozart playing in the background.

"Good evening Willow, I see you are looking quite bright today." I pulled out the wooden chair from underneath the circular table and peeked over at the kitchen door for a second. "Anything good happen recently?"

"Well, I'm going to go to my moms house today and were gonna do some baking." She walked over to me and set down two teacups, one with Earl Grey tea and the other one filled with mango ginger. "Here's the usual just the way you like it!" She smiled then got called into the kitchen by a young man. "I'll be right back." She walked away into the kitchen.

As she was walking into the kitchen another lady walked out. Antoinette. Her cheeks pink just like her granddaughters and her hair a light silver.

"Antoinette, oh it's been too long I see Willow is holding up the place quite well." I giggled and pushed the Earl Grey towards the other side of the table.

"Yes, sometimes I get a little worried, but in the end she has everything handled." She took her seat and smiled gently picking up her tea cup, her pinky underneath it to hold it in place.

"Well, you taught her well. So, how is life treating you?" I laughed and Antoinette rolled her eyes at my joke. Antoinette died 13 years ago, but to this day I have always been able to speak to her as if she had never passed in the first place, sometimes people would call me crazy but I just shoved it off.

"You're such a joker, I remember back in high school, you got all those boys to chase after you, calling you a fox" she smiled and sipped her tea.

"Oh please, you ended up with them all anyways." We both broke out into a great laughter. Antoinette had always been my friend ever since we met at church. When I heard of her passing my heart felt as if it had broken into a million pieces. Seeing her at the funeral standing over her coffin was extremely shocking. I thought I had gone crazy.

Willow stepped out of the kitchen and looked my way.

"Ms. Thang, what has you laughing so hard?" She chuckled and looked down at the teacups confused as to why one was across the table but ignored it and looked back up to me.

"Nothing I'm just thinking about some old memories." I smiled at Antoinette and she looked a bit sad as she analyzed the age growing in Willows face. Willow nodded then stepped back away.

"I'll leave you be, enjoy your tea." She walked back towards the kitchen and I readjusted my eyes back onto Antoinette.

"Oh dear, Don't look so sad. She's growing and turning into a fine young lady." Antoinette looked back up to me and smiled again then picked her cup up again with a slight clink.

"I miss being able to talk to her, and bake with her. I'm glad though that she has stayed so safe all these years." As she said so she adjusted her straw bag on her shoulder then took a few more sips of her tea before finally getting up. I finished my tea and called to Willow.

"Honey, I'm heading out now. I'll see you later!" I set some change on the table and began making my way towards the door.

"Goodbye, Stay safe." She called back and I exited with Antoinette then we began making our way down the cobble sidewalk. Our usual schedule when we drink tea, is talk then say our goodbyes. She was never able to stay long because it took too much energy to stay visible to me.

The pastels in the sky began to get darker as we walked, night was near, as we walked towards the park Antoinette was smiling the whole time.

"What has you smiling so greatly?" I peeked over at her.

"I'm just so happy, I'm still able to speak to you. I guess it shows how close we are, hm?" She eyes the green plains in the park and we began walking through the grass. The crunching under our shoes calming out minds.

I looked up at the starts and then as we finally reached the small tree, I looked to Antoinette.

"I will see you soon I'm guessing?" I smiled at her and she winked at me.

"Oh you know it, I'll always be at the little antique cafe." She chuckled, and I began to see her fading away. Fire flies were all around us lighting up a beautiful scene.

"Goodbye." I closed my eyes and hugged her, she hugged me back,and I could feel her fading. When I opened my eyes again she was gone.

I always look forward to my meetings with her, and our simple conversations. I looked up and saw a star shoot across the sky. A small smile slipping onto my face.

March 12, 2020 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.