The Paper Ghost

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fiction Funny

   ”What?” I asked, sleepily, lying face-down on the bed. “Ring! Ring!” Said my alarm clock. I was so sleepy I couldn’t throw my super 2000 alarm sleeper at him. As usual. But along with being sleepy, I also felt angrrrry at him. 

    Wait, I forgot to introduce myself! I am [uuuhhh...] Iwearbadcloth Nonenoy. And if you read clearly, it's true.

 I wear bad clothes, and no one knows why. It’s true. My clothes are bogus. Proof: I’ll show you my closet.

👖 🧦 🧦 

🎽👒🧤🧣👠🥾

👙👗👢👡👘

    That’s right! It’s literally nothing. Just a few old jeans and some dirty t-shirts. And broken socks. And no underwear. So I‘ll just look like I just fell off my bike and into a pile of hard trash. 

     Which I really did.

  Which isn’t really surprising if you think of it. My name even gives it away. So at noon, I discovered I overslept and woke up. As usual, I did everything I needed to do in the morning, and for breakfast I knew it was toast with butter and sat down. I took a bite.

yuck! “Dad!” I yelled. Why is this so, metallic?” 

he looked. He laughed. I didn’t understand why.

   “You bit on the spoon of the Halloween cereal. We’re not eating toast today,” he said. 

Oh, well. I was still confused. Halloween cereal?

He told me it was Halloween.

Oh. 

                                                  * * * * * * * * * * * *

School today was fun. 

   We had a reach-in-the-bucket-and-try -not-to-get-grabbed-by-the-thing kind of game. We also had a huge costume parade. I mean huge. I was a ghost made out of paper. Only 0.00001 percent of that paper was gone. That was because a small clip saying “funniest costume,” 

   To me, it was a compliment. It wasn’t a huge costume, buy it. Get it? It wasn’t a huge cost to buy it. Haha.

   But the only problem with that was that was it. Yes. That was it. The rest of the day we did math, reading, and writing. 

   So I guess school wasn’t that fun today after all. After school I walked with Jim, my best friend, outside. “Ya’ know,” he began. “Your name is kinda weird,”

  Now my best friend even said it. Then we waved to each other goodbye.

                                                  * * * * * * * * * * * *

   “How was school today?” asked dad when I got home. I threw my backpack on the couch. My hand was on the remote control. Dad was washing dishes after my little brother, Denny, was done eating those mushy stuff. 

  He set my messy (suuupeeeer messy ) little brother by me and moved over, disgusted. “The usual,” I managed as I almost fell.

                                                    * * * * * * * * * * * *

  “Zack called and wanted to trick or treat,” said mom, opening the front door. “Uh, huh,” I said clicking on “monsters spotted in real life,” on YouTube. I stopped at 1:24. Then I turned off the TV.

  I was still in my paper ghost costume. I sighed. Then I stepped on the porch. I yawned. Then I walked to Jason’s house. 

  “Do you want to go trick or treating?” I asked. He walked out. “Sure.” Then I went to Jim’s house. “Ya’ in for stealin’ candy?” Said someone running on the street.                           It was Denny. He said he wanted to go trick or treating as well. “And I let him. After all, he was 5. “No.” Jim shut the door. Knock, knock. Jim reopened the door. He peeked out. “You again,” he shut the door. I sighed, then told Jason an idea. We were about to do it, when. Someone shouted, “yo no, he meant trick or treating,”. It was Kyros. Jim sighed (so many sighs!) and came out. “Ahh!” He relaxed. Then we went Zack’s house. He wasn’t there! Then my phone rang. It said mom. I picked it up.

 “Hello mom? Zack isn’t here.”

“Exactly! That’s what I wanna tell ya’,”

“What?” 

Zack is right here,” 

“oh. I’ll be right there,” 

  Then we went to my house again. We picked Zack up and went to every house we could find for 2 hours.

                                                       * * * * * * * * * 

  I came back eating a handful of M&Ms. I had 3 Musketeers in my pumpkin bucket. Then people came spilling out of a house. “Huh?” Said Jason, eating skittles, of course.

Then a reporter walked by us and told about the scary thing. We only heard him say,

“People...help...monster...be...hero…never mind...please...help! They he was tugged away.  🤨🤨🧐🧐😳😳😦😦🤔🤔

                                                       * * * * * * * * * 

“Wanna go to the haunted house? I heard there’s ghosts,” said Zack. Denny shivered. I rolled my eyes. “There’s no ghost,”

“Well the house must be real. Come on!” Said Jim.

When we were there, Zack showed it to us like Thomas Edison showing a new invention.

“That looks fake,” observed Kyros. “Yeah. Maybe we should go home,” I said. Zack just laughed. “You guys are just scared,” said Zack, frustrated. “Sigh,” said Jim. “Let’s just go inside,”

  When we got to the door, we knocked. I realized it was the same house the people were spilling out of.

“Guys! It’s that house!” I said. They all looked at me. “Look!” I continued. They turned around to look at a witch.

“Ahh! I have wiccaphobia!” Screamed Jim. Then he left. “What do you want?” said the witch. “

  Candy,” said Jason. We stepped in. I wondered where Denny had went. Then a ghost came. I jumped and made a Planck length dent on the house plank. We all screamed. 

  “Ahhhhh! I have phasmophobia!” Screamed Zack. Then he waved his arms around and left. Now the smarty-pants left. 

  Then we ran to an open door and ran upstairs. We realized we’ve reached the attic. “Blurg,” said a zombie. “Ahh!”

Kyros left. Now the brave guy left. He had kinemortophobia. Then we hid in the corner of the attic so they wouldn’t see us. I figured the monsters weren’t so smart.

  There were a few spiderwebs. I was just fine. But Kyros screamed, “ahh! I have arachnophobia!” Then he left. Now the strong guy left.

  Then suddenly me and Denny were teleported to the basement.“Mwahhaha!” I said.     “Ahhh!” Shouted Denny. “Just kidding,” I said. Denny smacked me. “Mwahahaha!”       Said a voice. Denny slapped me again. I slapped him and whispered,” I didn’t say it!”

“Oh yeah? Then who did?”

“I don’t know,”

“Stop lying,”

“I am not lying, shut up, and…”

  I looked At a huge clock. “Run!!” I finished. “Mwahahahha!” It said. I reached for the door handle. “Freedom,” I whispered. I turned the knob. It was locked! Uh oh. I ran around. Hoping someone would come. Hopefully. But it ate me. Yep. You read that right. It ate me.

                                                   * * * * * * * * * * * * *

  I was thinking that you might hope something would happen at the last second. But no. So I had to deal with it. How would Denny fight him? Denny came right spilling in too. When I thought hope was lost, I remembered I still had my super 2000 alarm sleeper. Wait. If I threw it, I couldn’t get out. Hmm, then what? My head was spinning, but then I thought about something I read before. If you can get inside something, you can get out of it.

So I threw out my alarm sleeper at the monsters lungs and the lungs slept. Then in half an hour, the monster finally died. Now we were safe. I understood why the people ran. That was scary! So it took us another half an hour to get out.

I was home! “Where have you been?” Asked mom. I had to come up with an excuse. “Uuuhhh, we took Denny to, er, aunt Thermie’s house,” 

The next day at school everything changed. Well, people began to spread rumors. “Hey! You heard ‘bout that kid that defeat a clock?”

“Yeah, insane,”

“Just like video game,”

I can’t believe it!”

“And he had a brother named Denny,”

I gulped. They were talking about me!

“Hey, Cykrakha!” The gang slapped me on the back. I gulped again. “You defeated the Arachna devil!” I gulped once again. The Arachna Devil? So much! I fainted.

So that’s the story of how I got the name Iwearbadcloth nonenoy to Cykrakha Kytha. That’s the story of how I got from being bullied a lot to being famous and fighting a evil clock named The Arachna Devil. Easy? Nope!

October 29, 2020 15:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.