0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Sad

At three in the afternoon, the gavel pounded on the table. We all rose at the sound. My mother arose to make the formal announcement of the Council.

“The crimes of Consorting with the undesirable race of Humans and Treason to the society of Elves are serious and must be meted with an equally serious punishment.” My mother seemed reluctant to go on but was prodded by the Council Elder on her right. “Therefore, she shall be marked as a traitor and banished from the city and valley. She will no longer be one of us.” With that said, the gavel pounded on the table one last time.

Council Guards returned to my side while the crowd filtered out of the chamber. I stood there in shock. How could I be marked as a traitor and banished? No longer being one of them? No longer a daughter of the highest rank? It cut to the soul, for when I listened to the Land, it still wanted me there. The Land still believed in me. So why couldn’t they?

I stood there while the crowd and Council Elders left the chambers, leaving only my mother, Seraph, Kraeth, and myself. As Head of the Ruling House, it would be the duty of my mother to carry out the punishment. As the one who brought the accusation against me, Kraeth had the duty to be a witness - as did Seraph.

Once the crowd was gone, the Guards brought me to the Council table. Mother gently laid a thick, black cloth between us along with a knife, disinfectant, numbing agent, needle, sewing thread, and bandages. Seraph began to look sick, Kraeth had that hideous mirth in his eyes, while mother still had an incredible sadness about her.

“Place your right hand on the table Lizal.” My mother told me.

I did as I was bid. I knew the consequences of my actions and would not shirk from them. And so, I watched as the last two fingers were carefully pulled from the knuckle joint of my right hand. The wound was just as carefully sewn and bandaged.

“Seraph, Kraeth, your services are no longer needed.” Mother told them and we watched as they exited the chambers. “You may now gather your belongings and supplies for one week. Say goodbye to any whom you think might care.”

“Do you still care?”

My mother looked at the black cloth now littered with evidence of my treason and sighed. She finally came around the table and put a hand upon my shoulder.

“My dearest daughter and little Guardian, you know I’ll always care for you. But I can only rule by the current laws and what my truth is.”

“And the truth of the Elders.”

“Yes.”

“The Land has not renounced me, even now.”

“I know, but our people will not understand. No matter how I try to convince them.”

“Very well,” I sighed, heartbroken “It will take me the rest of the day to get ready and start saying some goodbyes. May I leave tomorrow?”

“Yes, you must have one of these guards with you at all times though. And you must leave no later than sundown.”

I nodded my understanding and left. I knew if it were up to my mother, she would have let me go on until I could change the hearts of the Council members. But it wasn’t just her or the Council members. It was the entire Elven Nation. And I feared it would be a long time in coming.

I headed toward the roof of the Council Chambers. I wanted to say goodbye to my dragon-kin and would need to go to the Caverns. I would have to condone the Guard riding me, it was a small price to pay.

“What are you doing?” The guard was agitated, pulling on my clothes. “Where are you going?”

“Mother said I could say goodbye to those who would care. I plan to say goodbye to my dragon-kin. You’ll have to ride”

“Ride!?” He shrieked. “But My Lady. That’s....”

“Yes, in the air.” We’d reached the top and I could see the surrounding houses and market. I finally pulled my clothes from his grasp so I could shift into a dragon. “Get on before I decide to leave you here.”

We touched down at the entrance to the Cavern of my father’s family home. The Guard slid off my back with a grateful sigh while I gave a Dragon Call of Greeting. The two youngest hatchlings, sporting new gray scales, came tumbling out of the Cavern. Then their mother, Persephone arrived.

“Lizal, why don’t you both please come in and have a snack with us.”

“I’m sorry Persephone, I don’t have a lot of time. I just wanted to say goodbye.”

“I thought so. Let me get everyone else.”

And so, the next hour was spent saying goodbye to Dragons, young and old alike. All of whom had been teachers to me of the way of Dragons. I still had so much to learn and now it was cut short. I couldn’t even say goodbye to my father because he was away.

With those goodbyes said, the Guard and I then headed towards Jayrm. The white tree was the gate holding back the demons of the world.

When I arrived, I shifted back to an elf and laid my hands and head upon her smooth white trunk. I tried to relay all I could through feelings and pictures. Yes, she knew what was happening and was saddened by the event. She also had a gift for me. She had taken the time to splice a piece of herself out to make a staff. I stared in awe as I felt the smooth white wood and felt her presence in it. With it, I would always feel her, and my people close by. I wrapped my arms around her trunk in one last heartfelt goodbye.

I now walked into the Fortress towards the Great Redwood. As I reached the Foyer, I was greeted by a large group of young Elves. They made a way for me and pointed to a seat next to the Redwood and an Elf who looked only slightly older than those seated on the floor.

“So,” I looked at the Elf sitting beside me “what’s this about?”

“We believe as you do. That we shouldn’t be alone in this world. We should make the Elders change the laws.”

I looked at the small group, there couldn’t be more than twelve. Not enough to make a difference for the greater good. I shook my head.

“But we’ll fight for you.” The young Elf responded to the shake of my head. “Just tell us where to start.”

“No. I won’t risk a civil war breaking out within my people.”

“But how do we make them see if we don’t fight? We want you to lead us in the right direction.”

“You don’t need me to do that. You already know what to do and how to do it.”

The young Elf grew thoughtful. “Certainly, you’ll return.”

“I’m a traitor, remember.”

“Then we,” he gestured at the group sitting with us “will also leave the Valley.” They all smiled and nodded.

“What purpose would that serve? You’re not coming with me.”

“We’ll make our own way. And the purpose would be to show the Elders they are wrong. And each generation we’ll come and find others who know what we do. Eventually, all Elves will know what we do, and you’ll have to come back.”

Hmph. “I can’t fault your logic. It may take some time.”

“That it may. But it’s better than a civil war, isn’t it?” this time he smiled broadly.

“Yes, yes, it is. When will you leave?”

“Perhaps a cycle or two. I want to be sure everyone is ready.”

“I wish you well in your endeavors then. May the Earth always be solid beneath your feet, and you always hear the whispers of the wind.”

“And to you, may the wind always carry you high.”

We shook hands and I watched the group depart, leaving me alone with the Great Redwood. I cleared my mind to speak it.

Greetings dearest friend.

Greetings, I’m glad you came to say goodbye in person. A wash of comfort flowed over me.

You are the center of everything, how could I not?

And you give me too much credit. The leaves rustled with laughter. You have Jayrm’s gift?

I do. Were you a part of that?

Only a small one. We both put our power into it. When you concentrate on it, you’ll be able to not only hear Jayrm’s thoughts and sense what’s going on here in the Valley through me.

This is indeed a precious gift. I held the staff closer. But why me?

Because you are the Guardian of the Earth and Speaker of the Land, Keeper of the People. You must always have a way to hear us so if there is a dire need you may return to us.

I sighed. The weight of that burden has always thrown me in deep waters - like now. And I was beginning to wonder if such a burden was worth it. So many trials and I was already failing them.

Do not worry little Guardian. You’re not failing. be assured your path will lead you in the right direction.

I looked up to see the late evening colors of an orange sky filtering through the leaves of the Great Redwood. The leaves rustling with a cool breeze. It gave me peace to know one of my goodbyes was from this grand friend.

Thank you, dear friend, and goodbye.

In the morning I checked and re-dressed my wound which, if my healing abilities held true, should be healed within a couple more days.

I then went to supply to pick up my things before heading out of the Valley for the last time. I thought I'd head to the house of my Human friends to figure out my next move. But there was one last surprise for me before I left the Valley. As I neared the Forest of Despair, I heard Dragon’s voices begin to rise as one. And all were taking wing. As they neared the apex of the sky above the valley they began to blink out of existence, going to only they knew where.

I stood there staring at the whole scene, dumbfounded. Were all the dragons were leaving because of me? Was I so right in my cause? Or was it simply that my father had convinced them of such?

It was all so confusing. Dragons had decided to leave, and young Elves had decided they were also going to leave and follow my ideas. And my only plan was to go talk to my Human friends and see if I could stay with them for a time. So, I sadly turned my back on them and trudged through the Forest to my Human friends.

By the time I reached my friends, chaos surrounded their home. Every friend, neighbor, and town member seemed to be there. I decided my best course of action would be to wait until they had left. I listened carefully, from my hiding place in the Forest, and found they all had seen the Dragons in the sky. No wonder they were so distraught. So, I waited until everyone left so I might speak with my friends alone.

“Lizal! What’s going on! All those dragons have everyone frightened out of their minds!” White Cloud ran over, grabbed my shoulders, and began shaking me.

“Wife,” Greywolf took White Cloud’s shoulders to calm her, “allow Lizal to explain what’s happened at her home.”

After a tense moment where she looked at the point of the sky the dragons disappeared from, White Cloud released my shoulders.

“Now,” Greywolf drew us both to the porch table, “tell us what has transpired which brings you here prepared to travel.”

And so, I told them everything.

“You can’t stay with us.” Greywolf firmly announced.

“But you know me.” I was astonished.

“We do, but the dragons change things.” White Cloud again looked towards the sky as she spoke.

“I told you, the dragons are gone. They left this place to go somewhere else.”

“Yes, you’ve said so,” Greywolf said. “But we won’t be able to convince the townsfolk of that. Even I still can’t quite believe it.”

“You know I don’t lie, ever!” I was getting angry. “And I’ve nowhere to go!”

“We just can’t take you in.” White Cloud shook her head slowly. “And there’s something else you should know.”

Somehow, I just knew I wasn’t going to like what she was going to say next.

“You’re going to have to hide those Elven features.”

“And how am I to do that?”

Again, that look of knowing between my friends.

“Just a moment.” White Cloud rose and went inside the house.

“We both feared this day would come for you.” Greywolf began saying.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s just that not everyone in the town shares the same view about Humans and Elves living peacefully together, or even just as trading partners. And after today...” He shook his head.

At that point, White Cloud returned carrying something. “I found it.” She smiled as she handed it to me.

What she gave me was a pair of spectacles. Very few people wore them for the ground glass required to correct vision was difficult to come by. But this pair was even more unique. The glass was dark/opaque and there was leather attached to each side.

“I know these are spectacles, but my vision is perfect. Why would I need them?”

“They’re not just any spectacles,” White Cloud said. “They’ll hide your eyes. No one will be able to see that they glow when you have them on.”

The design was good, but I was dubious about their nature. I put them on anyway to test their theory.

“Well?” I asked. “Does it do what the inventor said it would?”

“That and more,” Greywolf said. “If you wore those and a headband to cover your ears, you’d look human.”

I frowned at the thought and threw the spectacles to the table. “I don’t want to look human, I’m not human!”

“Of course, you’re not dear,” White Cloud spoke in a soothing tone. “But if you’re going to live among humans, you’re going to have to make some changes, so you don’t get killed.”

“Elves never change. That’s why I’m here. We don’t change, ever!” Was that a hint of hysteria I heard in my voice?

“Calm down dear.”

“Calm down!? Calm down!? I’m marked for treason, thrown out of my home and now my only friends left tell me I must run and hide who and what I am. And you tell me to calm down!” Yes, definite hysteria. And was I now on my feet?

I’m not sure what happened next. I vaguely remember Greywolf’s fist coming at my face.

When I came to, I was alone. For the first time in two thousand years, I was alone, and I didn’t care for it. It saddened me that both White Cloud and Greywolf had told me I was no longer safe with them, no longer welcome to stay. And I was ashamed I had argued so vehemently against hiding the fact I was an elf. Especially since they had to knock me out before my temper got the better of me.

So here I now sat. Me, the forest, and a letter reminding me of the importance of hiding my identity, and every part of my elfish being cried out against it. Elves never changed and this was change. And yet…., and yet, I saw the truth of it. Some change on my part was needed, and if I were to survive, I would have to succumb to the truth of change. So, I did. And now I was alone.

I sat quietly listening to the forest around me. The birds were making their afternoon rounds in the trees above, who spoke of patience, and told me change was not so bad. I sighed and shook my head while tearing a wide piece of cloth from one of my shirts. I also found the spectacles White Cloud had given me. Change was not something elves did. We were born knowing certain things and then living our lives around that knowledge.

The knowledge I held was the need for keeping some sort of relationship open with humans and other races existing in this world. I knew what it would take to open trade routes and create friendships. I also knew it would all need to begin with my people, and we were divided. The majority now wished me dead, others wanted to return me to my former place as the Speaker of the Land and Keeper of the People. I couldn’t do either unless they all agreed but I couldn’t do anything sitting in the middle of the forest, alone.

I looked at the wide strip of cloth in my hands and the fear of change welled up again. It was not something I wanted to do. It went against the nature of my soul, and yet here I was, beginning something I couldn’t turn back from. I’d already begun that change when my own people cast me out of the valley I called home, what was one more change?

June 13, 2021 14:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.