0 comments

Adventure Thriller Urban Fantasy

Shattered Time

Somewhere in the Middle East

“We have plenty of time.” comments the C130 pilot as he pilots his C130 over the hills of Afghanistan. As tracer bullets fly across the Coalition forces and Taliban. Mack McCauley looks out his window and looks at the ongoing fight. His mission was to EVAC military personnel and civilians with the Doctors without borders association. The doctors were caught in the cross-fire at a refugee camp and his team of SEAL operatives have been ordered to EVAC the doctors and most severe patients at the UN refugee camp. “That's what worries me Cargo.”

“Gauge, Shaman is it start to put together your gear because we are about to HALO down there to make a landing for this aircraft. You guys ready?” .Comments Mack as he adds the final touches to his HALO tactical suit.

“I hope this mini caterpillar will be enough to build a runaway for our pilot.”

“Don't worry Gauge Mother Gaia is with us today.” Comments the shoulder length Chippewa Indian from South Dakota. “I hope the UN combat engineers are ready for us.”

“We will find out shortly Shaman.”

The SEAL team releases the mini caterpillar backhoe. The backhoe drops and is followed by

Mack and his team. The onrush of air passes with the team as they descend from the C130

aircraft. The chutes are released by SEALS at the designated airspeed. Using a modified released switch on his GPS watch. Mack activates the chutes on the mini caterpillar.

The upswing slows the descent of both SEALS and the Caterpillar.

The C130 releases a series of smoke bombs to blind the enemy from firing on the SEAL team.

The team touches down within minutes and quickly the team members known as Recoil and

Shovel drops the tarps on the caterpillar. The sniper of the team known as Overshot covers the

SEAL members with his TAC 338 sniper rifle

Shovel a black man starts up the engines of the mini Caterpillar and uses it like an armored vehicle covering his team mates .Shovel serves as the demolition and structural engineer of the team and is chief SEAL concerning the building of the runway. Recoil the heavy gunner Asian man who carries a Mini SAW Gunner on his back and hops on the Caterpillar like a gangster from the 1920's.

The caterpillar pulls up as Mack and the others cleanup after their landing. Shaman checks each team member out for any injuries from the fall but except for a sprain on Gauge everyone unharmed.

The team marches to the Refugee Camp which is about two clicks from their position. Recoil and Overshot pan the surrounding hills for any hostiles. Mack takes point while Recoil takes up the rear of the SEAL team.

Twenty minutes later

Arriving quickly at the Refugee Camp the SEAL team is greeted by a black haired female MOSSAD intelligence officer known as Opal who greets the team in a desert camouflage BDU. “ Commander McCauley, Colonel Prisca of the UN Security team is expecting your team and has managed to find a few Refugees who have background in construction work.”

Thanks you know me but I have no idea who you are Mack McCauley Commander of SEAL team Six and you are?”

“Major Maria Moyer known as Opal I am with a branch of MOSSAD working with the UN here at this Refugee Camp. Please follow me.” Opal directs the SEAL commander to the command tent.

The command tent appears as a medium size warehouse and flies the UN flag and is flanked by a pair of UN police officers. Clad in desert camouflage BDUS and wearing the noted light blue beret of the UN the guards are armed with AR-15 assault rifles and wear flak vests. Stepping through the entrance a Greek woman speaks to her secretaries as Mack and his team enter the command tent. Colonel Priscilla Prisca appears as a Mediterranean woman with gray

hair like the MPS out front the Colonel wears similar Desert dress.

Maria introduces Mack and his team to the Greek colonel. “ Colonel Prisca may I introduce Commander McCauley and his team of SEAL team Six,” Mack salutes the colonel as she dismisses Opal and the secretaries from the tent.

“It is a pleasure to meet you Commander am I sorry that we are not in better times. But news is coming in that US forces and other coalition forces will eventually be leaving this country.

Even my countrymen are leaving in time.”

“I understand that you brought a backhoe to help build a runway for getting people from this camp out. Am I Correct?” Comments Prisca as she reaches for a cigarette.

“That is my understanding PO Berchoff and PO Jones have been instructed by the US Navy Sea-Bees to assist in the construction..”

“That is my understanding as well...Puff.... I have managed to recruits some local workers to aid our techs to build this runway....Puff..”

But time is not on our side, the Taliban are getting closer each day and my men are running out of ammunition..... Puff...We need to build a landing enough for the UN aircraft to help these people.”

“I understand Colonel” comments the black SEAL known as Shovel “We can probably get a

small air field built does your camp have asphalt or is it going to be a dirt field?”

“PO since time is not on our side...Puff, It will have to be a dirt field...Puff....”

“Than we better get started once we get our desert BDUs on we will start to work shortly.”

Puff....I will get the workers and what we have to get the field built...Puff....Gentlemen you will find your way out. Good day.” On those words Prisca puts out her cigarette and walks to the operations center to review the latest INTEL.

Forty Five minutes later.

The small construction vehicles begin digging up the surrounding field about a quarter mile from the refugee camp. Along with a small water tanker the UN team and SEAL team begin to

get to work as fast as they can. Overshot joined by Mack set up a sniper nest to monitor the approaching Taliban. Overshot puts together a Barrett Sniper rifle as Mack serves as his spotter. In the distance dark ABA robed Taliban continues to release a series of pop-shots at the UN camp.

“Those Tangos right now are having a pot-shot contest on the refugee camp. I think they are just trying o scare the people in this camp. What do you think Overshot?”

“Hard to say Commander but since they are only taking pot-shots your idea is okay. I am almost done the Barrett.”

“Good than its time to scare our friends of the hills with a few pot-shots as well. Get my meaning?”

Raising his Barrett on the nest. Overshot gives Mack a wink meaning he gets his drift.

“Just tell me where those turkeys are hiding”

“On it.”

Zooming in closer with his spotter binoculars Mack spots a Taliban bandit in dark robes circling his hands in the distance. ” What in the world are you doing Tally?”

Moments later

A humanoid Golem of sand and dirt is directed by the Taliban Imam and is directed to attack the construction team of the emergency airfield. The Golem marches with a slow and awkward movement down from the hills where the Taliban are camping out. “What on Earth is that thing?” comments Overshot

“I have no idea but give it a few shots to slow it down.” Reaching for his radio Mack speaks into it. “ Base Camp...this is Oversight....We got a Tango approaching but it is not of this Earth....prepare to engage it is a hostile...Over”

On those words the construction crew reaches for their small arms to defend the base camp.

Looking in the direction of the advancing Golem Opal is joined by Shaman who has a mystical look in his eyes. Opal runs back into the supply camp. “My friend I see that you are

not of the living world.” comments Shaman “ But what world are you escaping from most likely Purgatory.”

Opal returns with a pair of grenade launchers. “Here Soldier, use this against the Golem.”

“I sensed it was not of this world. Do you think these 40 mm shells will help out.”

“It is possible but for now we need to protect the camp.”

Opal and Shaman charge in the direction to the advancing Golem as Shovel, Gauge and Recoil open up on the clay and mud Golem with their small arms.

Overshot continues to open up on the Golem but the shells just pierce it but does not slow it down. “Overshot switch to high explosive shells looks like that MOSSAD agent and Shaman

carrying 40 MM shells.”

“Sorry Commander did not bring those things but I do have Tracer shells.” On those words

Overshot reloads his Barrett with Tracer shells. He soon releases a number of shells on the

advancing Golem.

Bang Boom Bang Whistle

However, Mack and Overshot are jumped by a pair of Taliban using their Dervish knife combat training. “Allah Akbar”

Mack and Overshot soon drop their weapons and use their SOG knives against the offensive

Taliban bandits.

Clank Slash Clank

Meanwhile Below

Opal and Shaman fire off a series of 40mm shells on the large mud clay Golem. The shells

ignite and burst apart the Golem but it continues its destructive path ignoring the shells blast.

Opal spots a series of Farsi symbols on the beast as it crushes and destroys the airfield. “Soldier aim for those symbols on it if you can. They are its weakness area.”

“Roger Major.”

Shaman changes his shells and aims for the Farsi symbols on the left side of the beast.

The shells ignite the symbols finally destroying the Golem. As pieces of clay and rock fly everywhere along the dusty airfield.

Thirty minutes later. Mack Carries Overshot to the base camp and looks at his team.

Overshot is hurt from Tally knives get a hop over here Shaman.

Shaman joins Mack and takes the injured Overshot off the wounded Mack as well.

Gauge helps Mack to a seat. “What happened Mack?”

“We got jumped by a pair of Tallies turned out to be a blood bath. “We were never going to make it to help you guys in time.”

The End 

September 11, 2021 01:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.