A Family of Liars and Thieves

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story about someone breaking a long family tradition.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Romance Drama

Lying is our way of life. As soon as I could talk, I was telling lies. It was encouraged. If you weren't lying and made a habit of it, you were ousted, or so they said. I played the game for as long as I could until I wanted to quit. That was when I lost it all.

It started when I met Avel. His icy blue eyes caught my attention first. But, it was his kind smile and caring demeanor which made me rethink the way I've been living my life.

Along with my memories of our first meeting, I'll never forget all the lies I spewed.

"Looking for anything in particular, miss?" his eyes searched for mine as I examined the wares on the table he stood behind.

"No, just browsing," I replied. I admit, that was a half-truth. I was browsing, but for a specialty item--a sunstone pendant my mother sent me to steal.

"Are you new around here? I don't think I've seen you before."

"Yes, I am so no, you haven't." My finger slid over the rough surface of the pendant I've been searching for all throughout the market. "How much?"

"Take it," he said with a smirk at one corner of his lips.

I raised my eyebrows. That blue gaze sent shivers down my spine. It takes a lot for me to be caught off-guard; he managed to do it with two words.

He leaned in on his palms. "That's what you were going to do anyway, right? First come the lies, then deception, and before I know it, I'm missing my most expensive item."

It's as if my throat closed. It's hard to speak. Finally, I said, "Not at all; I'm new in town and I wanted to see what's around."

"I would believe that if I didn't see that same gilded cape two days ago scoping out the other side of the place."

"You have me mistaken for someone else. My family and I arrived only yesterday." I crossed my arms against my chest; desperate to get myself out of this.

"Maybe you should consider less identifying garb; your family's crest is infamous around here. You're all liars and thieves."

I winced. Mother told me of the things people say behind our backs, but it stings a lot more when it's said to your face. If he's smart enough to know our tricks, I should be smart enough to be unphased, even if I gave myself away like the rookie I was.

"What you've heard are assumptions," I shrugged. "I'm neither one."

"I'll believe it when I see it," he looked at the peach-colored stone in my palm. I put it back on the table with a sigh.

"Why are you doing this anyway? I'm sure your family can afford it." Genuine concern washed over his features. If only he knew the half of it.

"We... I...," I'm choking. My face flushed with embarrassment. Everything Mother prepared me for is slipping out of my mind.

"Can you explain without lying?"

"Why is the truth so important to you?" I snapped. "It doesn't matter much to anyone these days."

"That's a lie," he sighs. "Honeyed words are nice at first until the bees who made them sting you."

I made a dismissive gesture. "Honesty is a waste of time."

"Not for me. I'd rather be honest. It gets you farther than spinning a web of lies."

"That's your philosophy. Mine so happens to be different. Let's leave it at that."

He shook his head. Whether it was from disappointment or disgust, I couldn't tell.

He reached over and took the pendant from me. He looked at it, contemplating. "What happens if you don't take this?"

"Nothing." I wished that were true.

"Consider it a peace offering. I don't want any trouble...for both of us."

That night I returned home with the jeweled pendant in tow. Before I walked through the grand entry door, I put on my best fake smile. Hopefully it would conceal how sick I felt after the encounter at the market.

Mother sat in her parlor, sipping her nightly herbal tea as she read in her favorite chair. I considered walking by and up to my room, but she spotted me.

"Hanelle," she said. "Have you got what I requested? No games, now."

"Yes, Mother." I walked over to place the necklace on the small table in front of her. Her eyes scanned the jewel, probably investigating for any signs of deception; not even family can be trusted, she told me once.

"Good child," she said with a toothy smile. "You're learning quick. Very well, for that matter. Now, off you go."

I pad upstairs to my room; my head felt like it was about to explode. I lay in bed that night, in the same dress, unable to sleep. The earlier events of that day played on repeat. I couldn't make peace with his words, his way of thinking.

I've grown up on one side of the equation without anyone from the outside bothering to tell me different. My family has grown such a vicious reputation that the town just puts up with it. Generations of liars and thieves span our bloodline. What if...I'm the first to break it?

I shook myself of those thoughts. To think so opposingly would have me disowned.

I eventually fell asleep to my wandering thoughts of him.

The next morning, I woke with an odd sense of purpose settled in my gut. I got dressed; this time I forgo the decorative cape for something more demure and head back to the market.

Before I reached the same stall, I noticed he was replaced by an older man. As I began to walk away, footsteps approached.

From behind me, I heard a familiar voice say, "I see you took my advice."

Startled, I whirled around to see those glacier eyes looking down at me. His smile sent a warmth through me like we're old friends.

"Surprised?" I asked.

He nodded. "Have you come back to steal again?"

Ouch. He had every right to ask, but it stung. I hesitated before answering, "No."

For a moment, I think he was shocked, but maybe I imagined it. "I don't believe--"

"It's the truth."

"Why the sudden change of ways?"

"I don't know," I paused. "Actually, I do. A lot of what you said yesterday made sense. It's just...no one has taken the time to share their two cents."

He shrugged. "It's more like a dollar but I get it."

A smile grows on my lips. "I wish I could be more like you."

"Now I know you're lying," he smiles back.

"No, really. I wish to be more honest."

"You can be. You already have been."

"It's not that easy," I shift uncomfortably. "There are...consequences."

"Your family's more twisted than what I've heard." his eyes go wide. "Uh, no offense."

"None taken. Most days I dream of running away."

"Me too."

His reply caught me by surprise. You'd think the son of a successful tradesman would dream of taking over that fortune, not to leave it behind.

"I'm Avel," he said as he held out a hand.

"Hanelle," I said, our hands came together in an awkward connection.

From that moment forward, we met every day at the market. Soon, it felt I lived two different lives: the awful one full of forced lies and deception my family expected; the other an honest one with Avel reminding me of the importance of truthtelling. It was only a matter of time before both collided.

Most children are worried about being caught in a lie. I was caught in the truth. All the color drained from Mother's face when I told her about Avel, how I no longer wanted to play the part of a deceitful person. For the first time, she couldn't find words to explain her displeasure.

Before I knew it, I was no longer associated with the infamous family who lies and steals. Rumors say I was ousted. When I tell the story, I say I chose to leave. All because I was tired of being stung by bees.

August 31, 2020 19:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Phil Manders
07:27 Sep 10, 2020

Hi Kayla This is really well written and finished off beautifully. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.