0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Adventure Fantasy

Karina stared at her steaming cup of coffee. She needed this one for sure. This was one of the most intense projects she had started since entering her career and she needed all the help she could get.

Lately, she found herself feeling thrown off as if something was not right. But she did not necessarily consider it a bad thing. There was this odd feeling like she was not alone.

Not like aliens or anything. More like she was sensing the world around her. She was not sure it even made sense to herself.

Karina was always a so-called city girl. She was born in the city, grew up in the city, went to university in the city, and even chose to stay here after that. But lately, since entering her 28th year, she started to have this odd sense of an awakening? Still, she did not know what it was. She could not put her finger on it, but everything, every tree, every animal she saw, caught her attention more than it normally would. Everything felt like it was talking to her.

There was not much information that she had from her mother about their family. Her mom was very young when she had her and was unmarried. Her grandparents were quick to throw her out of the house and when she went to her supposed father for help, he abandoned her, too.

So, the history of her family was a mystery. She had tried to ask time and time again, but it was such a delicate subject that she would prefer not to ask. Her mother would always start off by going off on a rant about how her family is horrible for abandoning her, how her partner was even worse, and then would proceed to sit in a depressive state for days. The only thing Karina had from her grandparents was a necklace with obsidian that was for protection.

Now, Karina’s mother was a strong and independent woman. Despite all these challenges, her mother was quick to make connections and land jobs. Things were tough in the beginning, but by the time Karina was entering elementary school, they lived a normal life. Anything that Karina needed, and then some, was given to her.

“Hey, Karina,” Chase sat in the chair before her. “Are you ready for today?”

Ready? No. Would she admit to that? Also, no. “I am ready for anything.” She smiled after placing her cup on the table.

“I know you’ll do great. This is a promotion for you for sure. I’d be shocked if they don’t make you a director.”

Looking at the time and standing up, she made her leave: “Cross your fingers for me, Chase.” She walked out feeling an odd wave of something in the coffee room with Chase.

~~~

The presentation went very well. Public speaking was second nature to her, and the clients looked very impressed with her research and presentation skills. She could see their smiles as she made it to the finish line. Her company had landed this gig. She knew it. Karina was good at listening to her gut. Sometimes it was as if she could predict the future.

In celebration of her predicted success, Karina filled her bathtub with flower petals and bath bombs. Tonight was for her. Literally, a treat-yo-self. She had ice cream waiting for her in the freezer and a fuzzy robe to wear while she watched the newest season of her absolute favorite trash TV show.

Grabbing the bottle of wine and glass that read boss queen, she made her way into the steaming bath surrounded by lavender candles.

“Ahhhh!” she exclaimed as she made her way into the hot water. This was definitely the perfect ending to a very stressful few weeks and one amazing presentation.

She found herself relaxed and quickly fell asleep.

~~~

Waking up with an odd pain in her chest. Karina realized that she was still in her bathtub. “Ow.” She sat up, only to find that the pain was getting worse and worse. Making her way out of her tub, she took the plug out of the drain so that the water could go down.

“Ow. What the heck?” She held her chest as she grabbed her robe and made her way outside of the bathroom. As she passed the doorframe, suddenly a sharp pain made her hunch over.

Breathing through it, she tried to make it to her phone across the room, but every two steps the pain just seemed to get worse and worse.

Am I having a heart attack?! She thought in horror. It was impertinent that she calls her mom.

She made it to her phone and dialed her mom’s number.

“Hey, Sweetie. It’s late. Is everything okay?”

“Mom! Help. I need to come here ASAP. I'm in a lot of pain.” Karina stated through gritted teeth. The pain had her hunched over again.

Silence.

“Mom! Please, h-help me.”

“I am coming over, Karina. Do not worry. You’re not dying.”

“It damn well feels like I am!” She practically shouted.

“I am going to hurry. Stay in your room.” Her mother ordered.

After hanging up with her mother, she hunched over yet again. “Urrrgghhh.” By this point, she was crying. Tears streamed down her cheeks. She tried to make it to her bed but found herself collapsing to the ground searing pain right before her mirror.

Screaming and looking at her reflection, that was where she saw it. Her eyes glowed purple, and light blue veins were coming in from her hairline. Horrified by what she saw and entering another wave of excruciating pain, everything went dark.

~~~~

Hours later, Karina opened her eyes to her the circular motion of her ceiling fan. Blinking to clear her vision, her mother came into her line of sight.

“Mom,” she started, but found her throat dry.

“Here, Sweetie. Drink this.” Her mom sat at her side of the bed and offered her an herbal tea. It was her favorite with flower petals in it.

“Mom, I thought I was dying. Am I okay?”

“Yes, honey. Um...there is something that you need to know. About you. About where you come from.”

Karina stared silently at her mother in confusion.

“I am not going to beat this around the bush. This is going to sound odd, honey, but we come from a line of witches. You are a witch and you have transitioned, Karina.” Her mom said carefully.

“What-what do you mean? Witches. Did I die? What are you talking about?” Karina looked around the room only to see that everything was in its place.

“Our family comes from a long line of witches. Hundreds of years of magic and many generations. I thought you were completely human. I was wrong."

“Witches?”

“Yes. My family—your grandparents—did not abandon me because I was pregnant with you. They abandoned me because your father was not like me, and I had exposed us.”

Karina stared at her mother, attempting to process all of this information.

“He didn’t want me because he was scared of what I was.”

“I don’t understand. How? Why would you lie?”

“I have never kept anything from you, Sweetie. You have been surrounded by spells and trinkets your entire life. I just never told you what it was.”

“I am a witch?” Karina whispered.

...I am a witch!

July 24, 2021 00:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.