With an unexpected knock on a window the Lecturer did mention of a meeting at the International Conference Center.

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected knock on a window.... view prompt

0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Adventure Mystery

My story is entitled With an unexpected knock on a window the Lecturer did mention of a meeting at the International Conference Center.

Mr. Somebody was next spoken of in this story. Also, this was the name by which Mrs. Jackson the Lecturer was known at the College.

Again, Mr. Somebody was noted to speak too fast in his speech, complained one of his friends John Taylor. Also, this complaint was not a new issue to them at all in life. This had in fact had been made by several Undergraduate students in her life. Some American lecturers who were present at the meeting at the International Conference Center spoke English mostly with an American accent and the undergraduate students understood them.

Mrs. Jackson, the lecturer spoke English with a foreign accent and only a few understood her entirely. There was a common view that she spoke too fast in life, like an individual in a hurry.

The Undergraduate students also agreed to warn her to speak much more slowly in life. It was noted that all the other lecturers had now been dealt with in life. They also turned to the Student Representative Council, that was the S.R.C. The trouble discussed during the meeting at the International Conference was of the fact that the Student Representative Council was too powerful. They were noted to make and unmake laws in life pertaining to student activities. They can possibly organize a football match and that can make you miserable in life sometimes. They are said and noted to be very mean sometimes.

Again, sometimes things does go from bad to worse within College. It was this period that Mrs. Smith joined in for the meeting being held within the Conference Center. Mrs. Smith also commented that “She does not know what is actually happening.” When I move my feet, I am caught in life mysteries, when I move my hands in life, I can see myself in some sort of okro soup.

The Cafetaria too came in for criticism during the meeting at the Conference Center. It was noted that students at the College could not afford meals. So, the Board members of the College decided to provide free meals to students every Friday for them to eat delicious meals of the Cafeteria. Also, the ill attitude of some of the staff of the Cafetaria was also talked about and mentioned. Some of the staff of the Cafetaria put left over food back into already prepared food and sell especially Jollof rice which was noted as a bad attitude and should be dealt with as mentioned.

The Board members of the College decided to deal with the issue of the Cafetaria when it was brought to their attention during the meeting. Again, the food served at the Cafetaria wailed Victor entirely. Ah! the food …………Take Fridays for instance, plates were washed and cleaned. Also, what happens during Friday is that sometimes the soup prepared is tasteless and the rice itself.

The Cafetaria also sells breakfast this is because it is noted that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It is true and true, agreed Victor and the morning tea including other beverages were served at the Cafetaria mainly in the morning. During the meeting most of the undergraduate students were roused entirely. Almost every undergraduate student including both men and women mentioned their own grievances and asked questions during the meeting at the Conference Center. Some of the undergraduate students complained that they had recently lost their phones and wrist watches which was so dear to them at the premises of the College.                               

Also, another student had been punished by a Lecturer during the previous week. He then told the Board members of the College about the alleged case for which he was punished, since he knew he was completely innocent by then.

Now it was the time for them to attend to all matters connected with the running of the College. A week before they noted that they had lost their microphone meant for their lecture room.

Mr. Brempong a Lecturer made them contribute ten dollars each in order to buy another microphone for the College.

During the meeting, Philip an undergraduate student rose and demanded that vandals, talkatives, and those who spoke vernacular on campus during lecture hours should be severely punished precisely. It was decided by the Board members of the College that students found to be vandals, talkativeness and those who spoke vernacular mainly on the campus of the College will be expelled from the College. Also due to this during the meeting the motion was carried out to expel both Daniel and Julia from the College campus. This was also put to vote because they were talkativeness, vandals and they normally spoke vernacular on campus at the College.

Mr. Brempong who was a friend of both Daniel and Julia rose to speak in favour of them entirely. He mentioned that Victor had no right whatsoever to suggest that both Daniel and Julia should be expelled from the College because they were well learned in their Academics. Also, by bringing up such motion it was noted that Victor was wasting much time during the meeting at the Conference Center.

He then decided that Victor must also be expelled from the College. However, during the meeting, I realized that almost every undergraduate student had a different mindset. They also asked all sort of questions from different disciplines and perspectives regarding their academics at the College.

Finally, the meeting ended at the Conference Center with some refreshments and each of the undergraduate students were paid dividends into their Bank Account because they were shareholders. Likewise, the Lecturers were also paid dividend into their Bank Accounts because they were also shareholders of the College. Almost each undergraduate student including other lecturers were given the Annual Report of the College.

Lastly before I conclude, Lecturers of the College and some undergraduate students were presented with souvenirs such as Bags, pen, T-shirt, pencils, Diaries, Towel, face towels, calendars, books, mugs, caps bearing the name and brand of the College to create awareness to the public about the College.

June 09, 2021 17:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.