34 comments

Speculative American Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

It is Christmas eve, 2052. The temperatures in a midtown Manhattan building scheduled to be demolished in a week are freezing, but the encampment of transients who reside there build bonfires to warm the space sufficiently enough for domestic comfort. Wrecking Ball, a burly transient with a cleanly shaven head and a gold incisor, is the shot caller in the illegally occupied structure.   

Compared to most of the dwellers in the encampment, Wrecking Ball is well-dressed, decked out in brand label outdoor winter gear. Most of the apparel he wears has been shoplifted for him by the homeless who live in what he calls “Wrecking Ball Mansion.” The former college football player, whose career was cut short by a suspension he was given after paralyzing an opposing team’s quarterback in a televised helmet-to-helmet tackle, considers the heisted goods legitimate rent money. Since he doesn’t like to think of himself as homeless and doesn’t like the company of those that look disheveled, he makes sure some encampment dwellers keep their own appearances up by shoplifting clothing for themselves as well.    

“Wheh I come from a ho is a ho and once you is tru wit ‘em, you want ‘em no mo,” says Wrecking Ball in a high-pitched nasally voice that does not accord with his linebacker’s build.

After he hears the misogynist comment from Wrecking Ball, the second iteration of Morris James©, 22-year-old clone grind-music star who has a meta-life contract with the 23rd Century Global Entertainment corporation, grunts in feigned agreement and takes a hit from an angel dust laced joint that the street resident offers him. While James sings regularly with his band The Way Out in East Coast clubs, he has not yet reached national stardom in his current incarnation—much less the international stardom the first iteration and the original Morris James achieved during their lifetimes. The original James as well as the first iteration died at the age of 27, victims of what detractors considered rock stars’ dissolute lifestyles.  

James has been warned by Ruthie, a recently arrived resident at the Wrecking Ball Mansion and an acquaintance of James’ girlfriend’s, not to trust the encampment shot caller when he proposes getting dusted. “Everyone who smokes PCP with the Ball ends up dead or in the hospital,” Ruthie told James earlier in the evening.

Wrecking Ball is unaware he has been cavorting with the rock star clone for the past few days, and Ruthie has not disclosed that her girlfriend’s romantic partner, a singer in a not yet famous grind-music band, is visiting the encampment. James is on a bender and wears a beard, soiled clothing, mirrored shades and has not showered for a week wandering the cold streets of New York seeking affective arousal, the kind that he later synesthetically channels into his music when he performs. 

As if the effects of the angel dust weren’t enough to induce violent derangement, Wrecking Ball suffers from syphilopsychosis and he never wears protection when he has sex with women newly arrived to the encampment. He has not victimized Ruthie yet, but he has taken her white rabbit’s foot keychain, a lucky charm she was given by her younger brother before he passed away of leukemia last year. Wrecking Ball wears the charm on a chain around his neck. 

He considers the unhoused persons’ camp a grimy little kingdom in which his law is the only law. At 6’3” and 250 pounds he effectively lords over the dejected lot of unfortunates that have convinced themselves they’ve nowhere else to go. 

Ruthie is a college drop-out, ebony-skinned, petite with nappy hair. One of the reasons she and the sixty others who reside in the encampment stick around is that Wrecking Ball dispenses drugs for free. He uses the residents of the encampment as guinea pigs for testing the purity and efficacity of a steady supply of narcotics a clique of New York drug dealers keeps Wrecking Ball Mansion stocked with. 

Name the substance of your choice and the unhoused shot caller will provide it, free of monetary cost. He has a team of two in the unhoused persons' camp observe the effects of the drugs and report back to him. Ruthie started smoking heroin her senior year as a psychology student at Columbia, but dropped out of school as a result of the drug habit. Tonight, to dull her senses and mollify her conscience, she has asked to try a sample of the latest batch of smack from a dealer in the Bronx. 

Another reason why transients like Ruthie stay at Wrecking Ball Mansion is that its overlord threatens to mercilessly beat any defectors. 

When he was warned that Wrecking Ball viciously assaulted those that he smoked angel dust with, James couldn’t resist the temptation to push his luck. These are the moments that convince his acquaintances that the copyrighted clone, like his previous incarnations, is a grind-music god in the making. When he relives these escapades while singing under the influence of his preferred drug, moxie, a mood-enhancing hallucinogenic, his listeners and audience subconsciously pick up on them, and vicariously experience them.

Taking alternating hits of the PCP laced joint while inside the room in the building Wrecking Ball considers his sleeping quarters, James asks, “Are you stoned yet, Ball?” James poses the question as good-naturedly as he can, but immediately afterward slaps the encampment overlord soundly on the back of the neck.

Wrecking Ball is unused to anyone making aggressive physical contact with him. He is accustomed to always being the aggressor. The slap above the shoulder blades takes him by surprise and instantly saps him of the fearlessness he always feels when high on phencyclidine. Morris notes that Wrecking Ball’s usual scowl evaporates into a look of vulnerability. Instead of answering aggressively or with a counterblow, the Ball sheepishly says, “Yeah, I’m feelin’ it, nigga. How ‘bout you?”

Morris lets out a loud whoop, that further intimidates the unhoused ruffian. “You know what I wanna’ do, Ball? I want to fly. You think you can fly?” Even though Morris has deflated Wrecking Ball’s habitual stoned confidence, if he expects to execute the plan he has for the Ball tonight, he needs to inflate the bully’s ego, offer him an enticement. Morris knows exactly what bait to use.

“I hear Ruthie loves herself a thug who can fly. You ready to grow a set of wings for that sweet ying-yang of hers?” Morris hands the Ball a bottle of malt liquor after he takes a swig from it.

The Ball consumes what remains of the bottle in a series of uninterrupted gulps and emits a growling, “Yeah!”

“So, let’s go fly!”

“Yeah, nigga, let’s do this!”

When the two dusted and drunk aspiring apostates of gravity emerge from the Wrecking Ball’s private quarters into the common area of the occupied building’s ground floor, the unhoused bystanders, all warming themselves around bonfires, hoot and holler their approval. They are all high on one substance or another, and are surprised that they haven’t been called in to extract the James’ unconscious and bloodied body from the tent.

“Me and Ball are gonna fly!” shouts James to the throng. This announcement is met with further utterances of approval.  Ruthie sits on a crate in front of a fire nodding out in a heroin-induced stupor, but James’ whooping startles her awake.

“Ball,” she says after momentarily regaining her senses, “when are you going to give me back my lucky rabbit’s foot? My baby brother gave that to me.”

The homeless shot caller has no intention of giving it back until after he consummates his sexual urges with Ruthie. He tells Ruthie, “Hey baby, not quite yet. I’mma need this thang, if I’m finna fly.”

“Can we watch?” asks a young man who sits next to Ruthie and was propping Ruthie up from horizontality before she was awakened by James’ yelling. 

“Can you what?” yells the rock star clone. “Ball, is we offerin’ a peepshow for these jay-cat junkies? Everyone knows shot-caller demons don’t perform for junkies, right?”

Wrecking Ball takes the bait. He walks over to the not-so-innocent soul who had the gumption to speak up and kicks him in the ribs. 

Addressing Ruthie, the Ball croons, “When I come back I esspect…I ‘spect some good, good lovin,’” to the melody of a popular reggae tune from the previous century.

“Let’s go fuck some shit up before we fly,” says James.

The dusted duo takes to the nearly deserted midtown streets. James intimidates any passersby and goads Wrecking Ball to join in the intimidation.

As midnight approaches, James and the former linebacker stand at a corner where traffic is moderate. James takes a chunk of asphalt, loosened by a city snow plow from the street and hurls it through the window of a passing taxi, letting out a war cry as he does. The cabbie brakes hard, but too afraid to stop and confront the hooligans, thinks better of the situation and steps on the accelerator when he sees Wrecking Ball approaching the cab.  

Not to be upstaged by James’ antics, the Ball uses his steel-toed boot to kick a parked vehicle then climbs onto the car’s hood and smashes the windshield with a booted foot.

After half an hour of mayhem, James and Wrecking Ball, doing their best to simulate friendship, return to the unhoused persons’ encampment, where James lights a cigarette, offers it to the Ball, and says, “Countdown to take off.” As they bound up the stairs to the uppermost floor of the abandoned structure, James yells, “Remember, Ball wants no observers. You’ll just bring him bad luck.”

“I got all the luck I need right here,” says Ball fingering the rabbit’s foot charm he keeps from Ruthie. 

James urges Wrecking Ball to light another live wire, or PCP-laced blunt, and asks the homeless czar, “So, what kind a bird you want to be, Ball?” as they approach the roof of the building, nine stories up. “You want to be a hummingbird?”

“Naw, I wanna be a killa hawk!”

“You want to be a love dove?”

“Naw, I wanna be an evil eagle!”

“You want to be a terrible pterodactyl?”

“Naw, I wanna be a wrecking bird!”

Once on the rooftop, James and Wrecking Ball, passing the blunt back and forth, approach the low two-foot-wide, four-foot-tall barrier separating them from a hundred-foot drop. James climbs atop it, holds his arms akimbo and urges the dusted unhoused chieftain to do the same. Wrecking Ball hesitates.

“Are you a wrecking bird or are you just a big chicken?” prods James.

“Big chicken, my black ass,” says Wrecking Ball as he joins James on the wall. 

James whoops, as does the unsuspecting hood, but before Wrecking Ball can cherish his stoned achievement, James snatches Ruthie’s lucky charm from the drug pushing bully’s neck than delivers a side kick to Wrecking Ball’s quadricep, a kick with just enough force to send him plummeting earthbound.   

“I wrecked the Wrecking Ball,” screams Morris maniacally, still perched on the rooftop wall. 

Below at street level, denizens of what was once Wrecking Ball Mansion crowd around the fallen body of their evil-doing benefactor. When James joins them, he says, “When the Italian dictator Mussolini was hung after he gutted Italy by war mongering, his compatriots spit on his hanging corpse.”

Initially they look at each other in disbelief, but then one of the unhoused spectators summons up the courage to spit on Wrecking Ball’s quickly cooling corpse. Soon thereafter another and then another of the condemned building’s occupants takes turns expectorating on the prostate body. 

James notices Ruthie is not in the crowd of morbid celebrants. He goes inside the building and finds her sleeping next to a fire. It is half past midnight. It is Christmas. James rouses her from her sleep and says, “It’s time for you to go home, Ruthie.”

“Where’s Ball?” she manages to utter from the depths of her lingering heroin high.

“Ball’s gone and he’s not coming back. He wanted me to give you this,” James says, handing Ruthie her rabbit’s foot.

In a semi-conscious slur, Ruthie says, “Thank you! It’s just what I wanted,” and hugs James.

“Merry Christmas, Ruthie,” says the grind-music star clone before he gathers his belongings and heads back to the East Village to his girlfriend’s warm apartment for a decent meal, a bath and a morning of less morose celebration. 

November 25, 2022 00:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Chris Campbell
01:46 Nov 28, 2022

Mike, I could hear Jim Morrison's acapella song, "Bird of prey" in this. "Bird of prey, bird of prey flying high, flying high." There's only one way to deal with a bully and James understood how. A dark look at a futuristic, drug-induced pocket of society. Grim, scary, and well told.

Reply

Show 0 replies

I haven't read the rest of the series, but this story makes me intrigued... I really liked the futuristic aspect of it and think you did a great job tying events together.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
20:52 Nov 27, 2022

Thanks for reading, Saphira. Hopefully you're dedicating time not writing stories to other worthwhile pursuits.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim Firth
14:58 Nov 27, 2022

Hey, I remember the Wrecking Ball 1.0 from a while ago. . . Version 2.0 is really cool with the ending. James' goading of Wrecking Ball about what type of bird he wants to be when he flies adds great levity to that scene. But, geez! The things James does for affective stimulation! Was Ruthie's rabbit's foot new in this version? That was a nice touch.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
18:14 Nov 27, 2022

Yes, Jim. This is a 2.0. Thanks for having the patience to give it another go and finding it new and improved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
14:54 Nov 27, 2022

So, Morris James. Could this be a play on Jim Morrison, dead at 27? I like the idea of Jim Morrison coming back as a clone and restarting a career. I also liked that Wrecking Ball ruled in a building destined for a wrecking ball. The 'seeking affective arousal' plot was stellar. I really enjoyed the layering of this tale, despite the grimness contained therein. The unabated grit was softened somewhat by the exposition, and this made the story really good. Nicely done, Mike.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
18:12 Nov 27, 2022

Yes, it is a play on Jim Morrison. Many thanks for the kind comments, Delbert.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
04:43 Nov 25, 2022

Excellent read, very engaging. I found the ending as satisfying as hoped, too! Thanks for the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike Panasitti
01:45 Nov 25, 2022

This narrative is part of an ongoing series. The other installments are listed as "The 8th Iteration" and the second part to the lastly named story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
00:31 Nov 29, 2022

I finished The Lathe of Heaven like you recommended. It was good. I preferred it to The Left Hand of Darkness which was a bit slow for my taste. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
02:56 Nov 29, 2022

Any time. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:59 Nov 29, 2022

What are you working on for the prompts?

Reply

Mike Panasitti
03:01 Nov 29, 2022

Since the theme is evolution, I may write a follow up to Mars Before Us. And you?

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:51 Nov 29, 2022

A continuation of my fantasy series and the next bit of Xander’s story if I have time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
02:37 Nov 25, 2022

“Yeah, I’m feelin’ it, nigga. How ‘bout you?” I thought Wrecking Ball was a white guy who listened to too much rap music, was I wrong? “doing their best to simulate friendship,” been there. Big revelation when you realise people only want you around because it’s entertaining watching you get in trouble. “compatriots spit on his hanging corpse,” it might just be a British thing, maybe even just Scottish but isn’t the past tense of spit, spat? “Merry Christmas, Ruthie,” says the grind-music star clone before he gathers his belongings and he...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
16:34 Nov 25, 2022

Graham, thanks for reading. In these early stages before attaining celebrity, James engages in these role playing scenarios. It's how he gets his kicks and builds up what he calls "affective energy" for his performances. The past tense of spit is spat, even amongst Americans. Given the peculiar sentence I used the present tense in, however, I think it works. And yes, I pictured Wrecking Ball as a black guy. Even though it seems to be against the contemporary representational rules of Hollywood and academia, blacks who engage in villain...

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:29 Nov 25, 2022

Affective energy? Please explain.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:33 Nov 26, 2022

Example: Morris feels stress shoplifting, gets a kick from creating a public disturbance while drunk, or feels elation when he has sex with a new, beautiful partner - these events are sources of affective energy. While singing high onstage, he harkens back to these events, visualizes and reexperiences the stress, the kick or elation. The audience doesn't merely respond to the audible words he sings, they also respond to the affective energy he conveys. I think this might be true of most popular musical artists. Something unspoken, unack...

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:32 Nov 26, 2022

The ability to translate weird and terrible things into beauty?

Reply

Mike Panasitti
17:14 Nov 26, 2022

That's a nice way of putting it. Mind if I use or alter it?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:51 Nov 30, 2022

The title definitely caught my eye, since the name sounded familiar, and then I saw that this is a reincarnation of a previous story. Or, a remix of a Morris James classic :) But the ending seems different! I recall it was previously a bit of a cliffhanger, whereas now we get closure. People talk about luck charms all the time, but a "lucky rabbit's foot" doesn't necessarily mean "good luck". In this case, it was bad luck for Wrecking Bird (love that twist on the name). We can only hope this is what Ruthie needs to get out. And now I w...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:00 Dec 01, 2022

Definitely a more fleshed-out reincarnation of a previous story, Michal. Morris James doesn't do what he does for glory, so he wouldn't mind if Ruthie interprets the entire experience as a bad dream and not something for which she needs to feel indebted.

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:41 Dec 01, 2022

Oh definitely. I can picture her in the future, cutting an onion in some middle-class suburb in preparation for the kids coming home from school, just spying a magazine out of the corner of her eye in the junk mail, marking the 10th anniversary of the untimely death of Morris James (2nd Inc) -- and she frowns at the face in the photo. A hazy memory stirs, but, no, it can't be. There's no way she met him. That was a dark time in her life, and reality and fantasy are a blur. She shakes her head, but the feeling never quite leaves her :)

Reply

Mike Panasitti
04:48 Dec 01, 2022

That's actually a great idea for a scene, and you'll get full credit for it if it ever appears in story form.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
12:53 Nov 29, 2022

A pretty cool landscape you've created here Mike. I found it parts of it strangely amusing too, it had a somewhat absurdist feel in places. This line in particular made me laugh: 'the second iteration of Morris James©, 22-year-old clone grind-music star who has a meta-life contract with the 23rd Century Global Entertainment corporation, grunts in feigned agreement' An enjoyable read!

Reply

Mike Panasitti
20:03 Nov 29, 2022

Thank you for reading, Edward. That sentence is a mouthful, but I had to include it for purposes of introducing plot background that was developed in a previously posted story, "The 8th Iteration" - about copyrighted rock-star clone Morris James.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
04:02 Jun 20, 2023

he killed him. i dont believe it.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
15:36 Jun 20, 2023

Too extreme? Maybe just scaring him would have been better.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
01:10 Jun 21, 2023

it is extreme.. that s why it is good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.