1 comment

Fantasy


I have no idea where he has brought me. This man, surprising me all the time. I knew we were a way from home but I did not realize how far away we were. My boyfriend, Ted, surprised me on this trip right before my best friend's wedding. I had to leave soon though because I was one of the head bridesmaids and I could not miss it for the world. Ted is a painter who never gets off of work. He is always creating something in his own way. I have tried to help him before but that has never worked. Our relationship is new, but it does have its faults. We always have disagreements but never to the point we fight. His need to be conscientious is annoying at times but it will get better. 

“Are you ready to go?” 

“Yes, where are we going?” 

“It is a surprise love,” he said as roses appeared from behind him. 


We walked out of the hotel, a car magically appeared in front of us with our own charef. Ted is always using his magic at the worst times. I wish he did not use his magic for things like that. 


“We are going to be late for the wedding.” 

“It is going to be fine.” 

“Where even are we Ted?” 

“Do not worry about it. We had a great weekend by the beach and at this hotel. Now we are going to the wedding and we will be great.”


As we drove, I still felt weary of him. I mean, granted, we have only dated for a couple of months but his magic seems to always get in the way. He is always conscientious too which puts a pull in the relationship. But he is an amazing guy, he is a painter too. He works as an independent painter instead of working for a big company. I just wish we would arrive on time. 


As if someone answered my prayer, we arrived at the wedding. Still, I did not know where this wedding was. As we stepped out of the car, it began to slightly rain. Ted, using his magic again, got an umbrella out of the air and held it over my head as I got out of the car. This magic is sometimes a good thing but also a bad thing. 


The wedding venue began to fill up and I was with the bride. The bride was my best friend, Alexis, and she looked beautiful. The wedding began to start and it was amazing. As the speeches continued on, I realized how much I actually missed home. Traveling with Ted as a painter is hard at times. He uses his magic to mix colors and help him with his responsibilities as a painter. Sometimes I wish we were in a normal relationship. But my wishes never come true. Do not get me wrong, I do really like him, but he is not what I consider home as. I lived in Canada with my parents who I am super close to. We went to Cabo Verde for the wedding. 


The best man stood up and began giving his speech. Ted was in the seats in the audience while I was standing up by the side because the bridesmaids had to remain standing. 


“You know, I have seen these two be in love since they were five. Him and I were playing on the monkey bars and he did not know how to get down. Out of nowhere, a blonde girl came and tried to help him down. She succeeded. He turned to me and said ‘that is going to be my wife one day’. At five these two were in ;love and they still will be. Even though they have agreements and disagreements, they still work it out which is what love is supposed to be. Your relationship should be another place away from home; a second home” 

 

 As the speech went on, I realized that this relationship is not what I need. I was not feeling like it was my home. Ted is an amazing guy but not the guy for me. He is not the home I need. His magic is one thing, but this is not something I want anymore. I want that type of love and he is not that home for me. 


The wedding carried on and I went to Ted, “Can we talk?” 

“Yea sure.”  


We snuck off to the back patio in the venue and sat in the garden. “I feel like this relationship is not going to work out.”  


“What do you mean?” 


“I mean, this is not a relationship that is going anywhere. We are just in hangwire.” 


“I felt that. But we are still getting used to each other. Of course it is going to take time for this to work out and our feelings to grow.” 


“Yea, but this feels as if it will never go to that.”  


“It takes work. Why are you being like this?” 


“Because I am communicating my feelings. I am not like you at all, we have so many differences and that is never going to change.” 


“It is good being different. I have learned that all my life. I have magic which makes me different. Is that what this is really about? That I have magic?”  


“It is not like that at all. I just do not feel as if this is going to go anywhere or be close to something you deserve. Magic is just one thing on top of many.” 


“So you are going to give up?”  


“I am not giving up. I am just trying to give you what you deserve.”



March 10, 2020 20:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

13:46 Apr 19, 2023

Great story,it felt kinda rushed at the end,but i liked it for a short passage,a little advice ive learned in the year or so ive been writing is this: Drag it out,i mean it,describe the wedding,explain what dress her friend may have been wearing to the wedding,was Ted wearing a tux? When was this wedding? There are so many questions that arent awnsered within the passage,but overrall good story,great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.