0 comments

Adventure Fiction

         While helping her foster mother, Karen, clear the attic, after her foster father passed away, the first item Jane came across was a box of photos. She decided to have a peek and the first photo she saw was a group photo that must have been taken at the last reunion. Several faces she did not know. It was a reunion of all the foster kids that had called this place home. On the back there was no date, but only some writing. It said, “You’re next J.” What did that mean Jane asked herself? Did that J mean me or Jimmy or Jell-O? (Two kids she grew up with) And next for what? Odd. She set that photo aside, planning to ask Karen if she remembered anything about it. Jane continued looking through more boxes, but always had her mind on that one photo.

         Karen had gone downstairs to prepare lunch, so Jane decided to look through the rest of that particular box. Remembering that her “parents” were foster parents didn’t stop Jane from hoping to see herself as a younger girl. She came to live with them when she was just 5 years old. She carried the box over to an old derelict table and sat on a rickety chair. Each picture brought back happy times. Like the one with three of her fellow foster kids, where they were splashing around in the kiddie pool, even though they were all over 10 years old. The younger kids had had their fun and went in for a snack, so Jane and the others took the opportunity to cool off. They did not notice that their foster mom came out and was taking several shots of their playfulness. On the back was the date and their names: Jane, Jimmy and Jell-O, nickname for jolly Joyce. They were called the three J’s or the three musketeers. 

         This small group of three was broken when Jimmy was adopted at age 12. He kept in touch with the other musketeers over the years. Jimmy went to college to study to be an architect. And then a year later, Jell-O was adopted by their new pastor and wife. Jell-O, now preferring to be called Joyce, went onto college to study to be a psychologist.  Jane stayed at the foster home until she turned 18years old, took a volunteer job to travel to Africa with a local ministry team. She was always ready to help the needy whenever she could. After all, she spent most of her waking hours all through school volunteering whenever there was an opportunity to help those in need.   All three kept in touch and managed to get together a few times.

          Jane was startled out of her reminiscing when Karen called her for lunch. She promised herself that she would set that box aside and ask about that particular photo later. There was still so much to do, but since time was not an issue, Jane was bound and determined to go through all the photos. 

         After lunch she and Karen made headway, yet it still looked like they hardly made a dent.  Jane promised to be there early the next day. She would have to work alone, since Karen had other plans.

         Being on her own Jane was feeling happy and sad at just about every photo she looked at. And not just the photos, looking at an abandoned doll lying in a corner, she and Jell-O would take turns having the doll sleep with them, or the tricycle that kept losing a wheel. They had grown too big for it by the time it was finally put upstairs with other not wanted items. After setting aside what was to be put in the trash, Jane went downstairs and fixed herself a snack. She took her snack back to the attic to eat and continue looking through another box of photos. Being startled by a distant car backfiring, Jane decided to continue with the clearing. She dragged a trunk away from the corner, blew off the dust and prepared herself for what was inside. 

         The memories came flooding back. The last Hallowe’en they had together. Jimmy wore that black cape while Jell-O wore a white sheet; she had been reading about ghosts, and Jane wore a princess dress. It was a great time; sharing treats and guessing which of their friends was wearing what costume. Oh, and there was the time she and Jell-O persuaded Jimmy to try on the princess dress and strut around the attic. Karen had crept up the stairs and took a picture, which Jimmy instantly commandeered and hid it away. But, no more reminiscing, Jane tells herself, otherwise she would be here forever.

         Karen came upstairs with sandwiches and a letter she just received from Joyce. Karen read the letter aloud. She mentioned that she will be back in town in two weeks and wondered if Karen would mind a visit from her. Joyce also mentioned that she had been corresponding with Jimmy and he also would be in town. It was time for a reunion of the three musketeers. Karen promised to call Joyce later. She and Jane passed the rest of the afternoon remembering. Before Jane knew it, it was time for her to leave. After goodbyes were said, Jane left with the promise of returning the next day. Not only was there more clearing to do, but she and Karen were going to make plans for the reunion.

         That night Jane had many dreams of some of the antics the 3 J’s got up to. But, her mind still went to the photo with that short message. As time went on, she and Karen managed to get the attic to some semblance of order.  Time to continue the plans for the reunion.

         The day arrived. Karen was patiently waiting for her guests. Jane arrived earlier to help put the finishing touches to their plans. Joyce mentioned that she will be bringing her fiancé as well as Jimmy will bring his wife. Jane had been dating a man for only 6 months, but also invited him to her reunion. It looks like it will be.

         Many hugs and kisses and everyone talking over each other to catch up. Karen had to bring the 3 J’s to order. She told them that they had all day to catch up, and to please introduce their guests.

         After a wonderful lunch as everyone was relaxing in the living room, Jane brought out the photo with the mysterious message. Karen shook her head, as did Jimmy, but Joyce started laughing. “What’s so funny?” Jane asks. “I wrote that,” answered Joyce. “After Jimmy got adopted, then myself, I wrote “You’re next J, meaning you.” 

July 23, 2021 02:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.