1 comment

Romance

“I cannot accept the pregnancy,” Eyo said, my parents would not hear of it, he told Hauwa harshly under the mango tree. 

Ten years ago; She was fifteen years old and was in the penultimate class to end her high school.

She remembered how her mother cried the day she found out, but refused her to abort the baby because of their religious stance. This was after Hauwa had tried a particular drug, which made her wince in pain all through the night and spot blood, but the baby was not affected.

A boy was born seven months later after the failed abortion, and he was named Malik.

This night as Hauwa rolled on her bed after the birth of her boy, who was now nine years old, she considered all her achievements so far. She was now a financial expert called upon by companies as a consultant. 

She remembered Ayo, Musa, Lawal, and Arthur and how it never worked. What is happening with my love life, she groaned.  

She remembered how she lived with Arthur, hoping it would lead to marriage, but she regretted that actions, the fights the insult that followed after he must have gotten tired of her and said he could not marry a woman who already had a child. 

Her best friend Salamatu reminded her of how she bought a house in his name but Hauwa, put all those into the past and decided to stay alone.

It has been a year now, she thought. I think it is high time I love it again. The continuous buzzing of her phone for a month from Mustapha telling how he loved her surfaced in her mind. But I cannot be a third wife; she shrugged the thought of her mind while the fan swirled and moved her slowly into dreamland.

The next day she hurriedly grabbed a cup of coffee and two slices of bread and left her home as she walked like she owned the earth into the conference room for a meeting with Adaeze company who had sought her advice on their failing financial budget.

She sat at the head of the table in a well-lighted room, which was painted orange. She settled down after pleasantries were exchanged and requested the financial auditor to go over their audit. She looked to her right and saw a familiar face, that’s Eyo, her whole head echoed. He had also recognized her instantly; she had not changed, her coffee skin still shone brightly, and she still flashes those beautiful smiles that had endeared him to her.

The two old lovers could hardly wait for the meeting to end. She was surprised at how she concentrated and gave advice where it was needed.

After the meeting, they waited still in the conference room. He walked up to her and asked how, how she felt. She proudly said, as you can see, I am doing great. 

She looked up at him; you never asked after the baby. What, baby. The pregnancy I had for you, she replied calmly. Oh, the one you talked about two days to graduation, I thought you… she did not allow him to complete the statement but said, I had a boy as she put her tab into her bag and left him standing.

He was shocked, or he tried to me. He hurriedly remembered the incident and how days later he was medalled for coming tops in all his subjects and afterward was given a scholarship to Havard to study literature. His parents had sent him off a week later to be an intern for the renowned poet Ben Okri, and maybe that had distracted him from the supposed doom that would have befallen him.

He sighed loudly; I have a child; I have a child, I must find him. 

Eyo is a notorious womanizer; he had contracted a terrible sexual disease that had made him impotent. His wife had to divorce him after she discovered the truth.

A week later, Eyo was able to trace the home of Hauwa. The security questioned him if he had a meeting with her, he tried explaining that he was a friend to her, so the security went to find out from her if he can allow him. 

She instead decided to come down and see him.

Hi Hauwa, Eyo presenting a cheerful face. Hauwa , kept a rigid face and said since you know my address, you could have well called to know if I am entertaining visitors because whoever gave you my address might as well have my phone number.

Remembering how you left me in the conference room, I thought it wise not to call you, and he began, a little bit uncomfortable.

She quickly asks him his intention of coming to douse the already stern atmosphere between them. He said he wants to familiarize himself with her again. She told him it would be wise they had such a meeting outside her abode.

They decided to meet at Twinkle eateries the next Saturday. That night Hauwa cried herself to sleep. She wondered what she would tell her high school sweetheart. What of if he is here for his son, she spoke aloud. I will not let that happen; he must sweat before he sees him; she reasoned to herself.

The next Saturday by 4 pm, Eyo was seated already at twinke’s eatery waiting for the arrival of Hauwa, who came thirty minutes later. He complimented her red gown as he drew out the chair for her to sit on. He is still the gentleman I know, she thought.

The waiters waited on them for their orders, after the meal, she asked him about life after The Bells High school, which was their alma Mata. He started relating how he was the best graduating student in his class at Harvard. He explained how he now works as an editor in four companies in which Adaeze company was one. She related about her life after their alma Mata and how she was lucky to land a job in Chevron Oils and gas shortly after school to be their auditor and how she rose to this point of a consultant. Still, she added jokingly, am not a high flyer like you.

They had more dates and where beginning to love themselves again. She broke off the resolve without knowing of allowing him to see Malik, her son.

He decided to marry her, and he proposed to her, which she gladly accepted. She decided to take him to her parents to begin the sealing of the marriage rites.

The day came; they arrived at the quintessential house of the Aminu’s. Her mother was glad that she had finally found her soulmate. The introductions began, and Hauwa introduced Eyo as her husband to be and the father of Malik.

Her mother interrupted her; you cannot say that daughter; he is the intending father of your son.

Hauwa responded, mummy, he is the real father of Malik. I thought you said the guy who impregnated you was dead and you do not know his relative, her mother questioned her.

Hauwa, began to sob, “no, I lied, he was alive”. Her mother’s jaw dropped. Her father, Mallam Aminu began to question Eyo, “ did you know about the pregnancy.” 

Em erm, I did, Eyo stammered. 

‘So what did you do about it’ Mallam Aminu asked once more.

I denied it, eyo said, and bent his head in shame.

‘Get out of my house, you infidel,” Mallam Aminu commanded and left the living room.

August 12, 2020 06:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Princemark Okibe
21:16 Aug 17, 2020

I enjoyed your story, it was nice. The way you conveyed the emotions of Hauwa was satisfying. I do have some suggestions and questions for you. Please, take it in good faith. 1. In paragraph seven, the word 'actions' should be replaced with 'action' as regretted used in that sentence is singular. 2. In paragraph nine, what does the phrase 'I think it is high time I love it again' mean? Did you intend it as 'I think it is high time I love again'. 3. You can remove the word 'still' in the beginning of paragraph 13, it is not needed....

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.