24 comments

Contemporary Fiction LGBTQ+

“Justin Chase, you love yourself a Clayton’s Deli grilled cheese sandwich, but I know you find the variety I make with Kosher pickle chips, veggie bacon and a side bowl of creamy tomato soup to die for,” says Mother. She always refers to you by name when she is trying to rouse you out of one of your down moods.


And you most certainly are in a funk. Mother doesn’t want you stewing in depression after the manic swing you rode before sunrise this morning while putting the finishing touches on the motionless hallucination of vivid color that is your latest painting.


Mother blends whipping cream with a can of pureed tomatoes. As the soup simmers in a saucepan, she fries the vegetarian bacon, places three slices of sharp cheddar cheese and half a dozen rabbinically blessed pickled cucumber chips in between a serving of rye bread. She then puts the sandwich in a cast iron skillet slathered with butter. She takes two leaves from a basil plant she keeps on the kitchen counter, cuts them into fragrant strips and drops them into the soup. Within five minutes, Mother has served up your favorite comfort food.


“Let’s see if this will cheer you up,” she says, setting the meal on the table. Poor Mother. She is subject to your bipolarity, though she doesn’t always sympathize with it. When you are in a manic episode, she becomes alarmed by the way you verbalize impulsive notions such as wanting to throw your cell phone into moving traffic just because you’ve seen a movie about the universe-saving significance of erratic behavior.


When you’re having one of your ascending moments, Mother doesn’t share your grandiosity either. She herself doesn’t want to become the next Hilma af Klint or Helen Frankenthaler, but she desperately does want you to be a recognized painter, and when you are busy at work, she partakes of your hyperactivity. She finds your mania contagious. It infects her. At times, while you take to driven brushstrokes, she takes to concentrated sweeping, scouring and scrubbing. 


And while she doesn’t agree with your habit of talking to complete strangers when you’re feeling unrestrained and expansive, she isn’t alarmed by your pressured speech when you two are each other’s only company. Then she matches your chattiness with her own. 


Although your psychiatrist has warned that the decreased sleep you experience on an upswing leads to more pronounced lows, Mother doesn’t mind when you’re absorbed in your work, and she was not worried by the flurry of increased energy and activity she witnessed at 3 a.m. this morning, after she was awakened by the sound of the capsule coffee maker, and came upstairs to find you frantically painting.    


The loud buzz of the coffee machine woke me up as well, right as I was dreaming of running in a pack of dingoes, all of which were female. The three she-dingoes and I were in pursuit of an antlered buck. In the dream, I brought up the rear of the pack, and possessed a blue coat rather than the red one I really have. And my eyes were the color of charcoal rather than azure blue. The she-dingoes brought down the buck and began to devour it while I stood back, hungry and observing. I emitted muffled barks in my sleep, utterances you find endearing whenever you hear me make them. If I had hands, mistress Justin, I’d paint the scene myself. And you could project meaning onto it, as does anyone who has an appreciation for the narrative elements in painting. The three dingoes that ran ahead of me could symbolize previous women painters who have had the fortune of catching their prey, of achieving renown. The fleeing buck signifies your elusive but reachable goal of making art that moves. The she-dingo-painters successfully obtained that goal. I, the less capable canine, who stood back and observed the feast, longing to partake of it, would, of course be you, the neophyte artist who looks on the accomplishments of prolific predecessors and strives for similar success, but is anxious of starving.   


After I woke from the reverie, I climbed the stairs after Mother, who prizes your paintings as any doting female parent does the creations of her offspring, this latest canvas being an exception. Although the sky in the painting is blood red, my eyes only possess photoreceptor cells allowing me to see blues and yellows, so to me, the upper portion of the canvas looks the color of glazed corn. The off-kilter house below the skyline is primarily in shades of blue, including ultramarine, royal and sky varieties. Unless you were to win the lottery or inherited an unknown rich relative’s imaginary millions, the real house that inspired the painting is one you could never live in. It is of the sort that is usually featured in the prime real estate sections of the newspaper, and built by the wealthy who hire architects that have made names for themselves in the pages of contemporary architectural magazines. 


When Mother finally laid eyes on the painting, you, always dismissive of your talents, said, “Please mother, don’t say anything. It’s a mess, I know,” to which she responded, “No, Justin, it sticks to your recurrent theme of making paintings of houses, but it’s different. I see you’ve painted words on this one, as if the house has been covered in graffiti: ‘Ecclesiastes 1:17,’ and ‘Give Up the Ghost.’ In the center, on some doors that look like they’re made of glass are the words ‘Depression’ and ‘Mania.’ These seem as if they’ve been sprayed on the glass. I know those refer to your condition. The meaning of the other words, I can only guess at.” You take a step back, still dissatisfied with your efforts, but respond to your mother’s puzzlement.


“The other references are to dad,” you say. “He’s always blaming me as being the culprit responsible for my mental illness, saying that I’m the one who chose to go to college and pursue wisdom and knowledge, and that by doing so I also pursued madness and folly, as does the wistful narrator of Ecclesiastes. I’m so tired of punishing myself because of dad’s accusations.” You don’t mention that your failed suicide last year, your attempt to give up your own ghost, was partially a result of the insensitivity he feels toward you.


“Visually, it’s a painting that conveys a lack of compassion, it isn’t forgiving to the observer. Does it have a name yet?” asks Mother.


“’The House He Built,’ and it’s not unforgiving. It’s ugly,” you say.


“It’s not ugly. It’s meaningful,” she says without hesitation and with emphasis.


I stand with my two front paws on a table near the easel, and sniff at the bottom right corner of the canvas. “See? Nina likes it,” says Mother.


“I can see that. The thing is, will the jury at the gallery like it enough to accept it for this month’s exhibit?”


“They’d be fools not to, but if I were you, I’d remove the faux graffiti. I think the picture makes enough of a statement with your choice of color and distorted forms,” replies Mother.


She is most likely right, but it’s 3:30 in the morning and you must be at the gallery at 11 to have your pictures juried. What she should suggest is that we all go back to bed and that you take previously painted canvases to the gallery, but she is riding your manic wave. While she doesn’t agree that the painting is ugly, she thinks it could be better. Mother can be a harsher critic of your work than Father is, but she doesn’t encourage abandoning your artistic ambitions in favor of a regular job with regular hours and regular pay like he does.    


If the moon’s relative proximity to the Earth were representative of the satellite’s melancholic and exultant moods, with the planet’s increased distance representing lunar sadness and closer proximity signifying the moon’s ebullience, Father’s attempts to discourage your artistic ambitions fuel your depressive apogees. Mother’s incitements to excel drive your manic perigees. To my consternation, by suggesting improvements she is fueling your pre-dawn lunacy. 


In the hours before sunrise, however, you steel yourself against her suggestions, if only to prove to yourself, and perhaps, to me, that mommy can’t always be right. The words she wants you to exclude from the canvas, make the work edgy. They don’t tell a story. They don’t symbolize an abstraction. They tell your story and represent you, and what does your therapist, after all, say about recovery? That you shouldn’t feel stigma as a result of your condition. That you should embrace it and educate others about it without experiencing shame or guilt. Despite not being entirely satisfied with the painting, you decide the painted words will stay on “The House He Built,” and say, “I’ll try taking it to the gallery as is, mother. You may not like the graffiti on the house, but they make the painting more personal. They make it about me, specifically. Not just about anybody who is uncomfortable about the metaphorical house they live in.”


“The director of the gallery might want paintings that speak to an audience, not exclusively to the painter herself,” says Mother.


It is one of the hottest nights of the summer and I am panting in the background.


“We should go back to sleep,” you say, “You know what my therapist says about proper sleep hygiene’s relation to mental well-being.”


At the sound of these last words, I bark once, then yawn and nestle my body against your legs.


“Nina agrees we should get some rest,” you say to Mother.


“In that case I’ll pour this coffee out. Such a waste,” she replies, and you go to bed not clear as to whether she was referring to the beverage or your artistic efforts.


You are up at 9 a.m. You shower, have breakfast, and study French, brushing up on the language you studied for three semesters in college, hoping that you can review it sufficiently to speak and understand it when you go to Paris with your mother’s sister, who is also your godmother and has invited you to spend a week with her in the 19th century’s city of lights this fall.


At 10:15, you load “The House He Built” and a painting you’ve called “Perseverance” into your mother’s car and drive them to the gallery. You sit in the parking lot for twenty minutes, your stomach in knots. If you’re juried in, this will only be your second showing and your painter’s ego is fragile. A negative assessment by the jury members could break you. At 10:57, you remove the paintings from the car and carry them into the All Eyes On gallery.


You ask for Marlene, the gallery director you’ve been emailing about showing your work, and the woman you ask says, “I’m Marlene. And you are?”


“Justin. Justin Chase.”


“Ah yes,” she says, then addresses a middle-aged man with a graying mustache and beard and wearing a beret, saying, “Wilfredo, this is Justin, she’s here…”


“They,” you say, “My preferred pronoun is they.”


“Of course,” Marlene says, with barely concealed scorn. “Wilfredo,” Marlene continues, “Justin is here to have their paintings juried. Can you take them to the back room and have them set their paintings up on our easel.” Marlene makes sure to especially emphasize her penultimate word.


As you walk into the gallery’s back room, you see other paintings on the floor leaning up against the wall that you assume have already been juried in and are waiting to be hung in the gallery. Wilfredo leads to a room in the rear of the gallery and says, “The jury will be in shortly, when instructed, please place your paintings on the easel.”


Despite the instructions you’ve been given by Wilfredo to wait, as far as your recollection is concerned, Marlene told Wilfredo you could set your paintings up as soon as you got to the back room. You go ahead and place “Perseverance” on the easel and judge it’s better than most of the works you saw on your way to the jury chambers.


Wilfredo comes back in with a woman who, introduces herself as Rachel and explains that they will be assessing your work. You provide them with the narrative behind the paintings, explaining that you aren’t so much process-oriented as you are compelled to interpret the personal meanings of the paintings after they’re completed. “I’m not guided by a particular technique, nor do I have a pre-conceived vision of what a painting will look like,” you say. Wilfredo and Rachel look unconvinced. “The interpretation of the work comes to me after I’ve finished it, similar to the way a dream can be interpreted only after it’s done,” you add. 


“Okay,” says Rachel. She holds a pen she was jotting notes with, to her pursed lips. After she gets in position to take notes again, she asks, “Can you put the next painting on the easel?”


You explain the significance of “The House He Built” to the pair of jurors, whose facial expressions tell you they are as doubtful about the painting you finished last night as they were about “Perseverance,” which you finished two days ago.


“We rarely accept work that has religious connotations,” says Wilfredo, after he hears why you’ve chosen to make Scriptural references in the painting. “We want All Eyes On to be as unpolemical a gallery space as possible,” says Rachel.


“The painting isn’t making a religious statement, it’s more about the metaphorically unsound house I inhabit as a result of a family member’s insensitivity,” you insist. 


“Marlene will contact you with our decision, and recommendation,” says Rachel.


The fact that Rachels said her and Wilfredo have a “recommendation,” immediately makes you suspect your paintings have not been accepted to the showing. You pick up your paintings, stride angrily toward the front door of the gallery, not acknowledging Marlene when you see her again, but who says, “Thank you, Justin,” as you pass her. Then you exit All Eyes On for what you hope will be the first and last time.


As you drive home, you feel an inky cloud of depression begin to seep into your synapses. You want to talk yourself out of the oncoming darkness, but, as happens most of the time, you can’t. 


A few blocks before you reach home, you see an enclosure for a neighborhood garbage receptacle. You stop the car, remove the paintings from the back seat and without misgivings drop them inside the dumpster. Each piece strikes the bottom with a resounding clang.  


When you enter the house, you do not greet me with affection as when you’re even-keeled, or enthusiastically, as when you’re on an upswing. You don’t greet me at all.


“Nina, look who’s home,” says Mother. She beams with pride, under the impression that because you haven’t returned with work in hand, it has been accepted by the jury and that your paintings now hang at All Eyes On.


The look on your face, is incongruent with her belief that you’ve merited space on a gallery wall. “Honey?” Mother says, “What’s wrong?”


“They weren’t accepted,” you say, adding, “Not good enough. Too religious.”


Mother proceeds to make you the grilled cheese she knows you usually can’t resist. She doesn’t have to convince you it’s the best on the planet, but given the anhedonia you experience when in a depressive state, you know you aren’t going to enjoy it.


Before you take a bite, you manage to sputter out, “I trashed them.”


“What?” Mother gasps, “The paintings? Where?”


“In a big garbage bin I saw before I got home.”


“Justin! Hurry. Give me the keys to the car. Bring your grilled cheese.” 


Mother has both of us get into the car with her in the hopes that we can retrieve the paintings before they’re damaged or destroyed by unwitting people in the neighborhood getting rid of their own trash or disposing of their own devalued dreams, dashed on the rocks of dismissive judgment.

September 07, 2022 19:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Graham Kinross
01:31 Nov 02, 2022

“After I woke from the reverie, I climbed the stairs after Mother, who prizes your paintings,” don’t know if it’s on purpose switching between first and second person here. You do it in other places but sometimes it fits the narrative. My friend is a bit like this. He had a huge rage at a summer resit at art school and trashed all of his work at the last minute because he was on a down swing. Getting a cat recently seems to have helped him when he’s not feeling great.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:49 Nov 02, 2022

Yeah, the shift in perspective is intentional. The dog, Nina, narrates in second person. Sorry to hear about your friend who destroyed his work. You can ignore my previous request to read my story for the week since you took a look at this previous one. Take care.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:24 Nov 02, 2022

I’ll keep reading. How much of this is autobiographical?

Reply

Mike Panasitti
04:04 Nov 02, 2022

Well, considering the main character identifies as male and that I have a neurodivergent diagnosis, it's rather autobiographical. Also considering that I tried to have a couple of paintings juried into a local gallery (one which was titled "The House I Built"), it's even more based on fact. In addition, I once had a dog named Nino who I was telepathically conversant with : ) I guess the answer to your question is: most of it autobiographical except for the fact that my mother has never made me a grilled cheese sandwich.

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:25 Nov 02, 2022

That is an interesting detail to be the made up bit. Still painting?

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:44 Nov 02, 2022

Only rarely, but it's always been so. However, I will start a canvas today since you ask.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
00:56 Sep 26, 2022

Cool. Your story got into my subconscious. I named a character Corey Chase about a week after you posted this. Mine is based off a porn star, flipped the gender and made "him" a reporter. He's not very sexy though. Clapping for getting in my head, maybe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jim Firth
15:16 Sep 11, 2022

That Nina is one intelligent canine. I think she knows what's best for her family. I particularly enjoyed the description of the grilled cheese being made; 'rabbinically blessed pickled cucumber chips' made me chuckle. Complex characters in a colourful world as usual, matey. Well done :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeannette Miller
15:32 Sep 10, 2022

I felt for Justin and appreciate the love their mother has for them. It takes a lot of love and patience to live with someone with bipolar or similar mental illness. I think the way you describe it here works naturally. The rejection Justin feels internally works, too, and feels natural to his creativity and never feeling good enough. I'm wondering if he threw them away too soon as well but will never know if the gallery did accept them. Well done! A lot going on here along with that grilled cheese and it works :)

Reply

Mike Panasitti
22:49 Sep 10, 2022

Perhaps too much going on in this plot-driven tale of mental affliction and artistic ambition? Thank you for commenting Jeanette.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
20:18 Sep 09, 2022

We all get judged for something; it's how we handle them that makes a difference. I cannot add much here. I understand the drive for perfection and how it can wreck a person...and those around them... But I do like your recipes (suddenly hungry now)... ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kevin Marlow
00:54 Sep 09, 2022

Not much to add to the other comments except that the overall tone was consistent, and even the mania hinted at, and reinforced the melancholy. Need for the acknowledgement from peers and everyone's apathy seemed to highlight Mother's admiration, but what's the point, she loves all Justin does as much as they love her grilled cheese.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
07:38 Sep 09, 2022

I hope future stories in this series will provide some hope rather than foment melancholy. A prequel, "Pussycat Janks," was much upbeat than this one. Justin seeks acknowledgment from fellow artists for purposes of evolving as an artist. Sometimes maternal admiration alone, no matter how educated and well-meaning the mother, isn't enough to appease ambition's appetite. Perhaps Mother's love should be enough, but I'm not too sure I'd feel satisfied if the woman who birthed me were the only person giving me positive feedback on my stories ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
23:56 Sep 08, 2022

This is very complex for a 2,700-word (yes, I'm rounding; yes, I checked to see the word count) story. Many, many layers going on here, from mental health to family to acceptance and judgment. Certainly, an ambitious story for a grilled-cheese-inspired prompt. Kudos for tackling all those topics at once. I'm no good at analyzing texts on a deeper level, and Michał covered the salient points anyway, so I'll just speak on the technical aspects that stood out for me. The pronouns were the biggest one here. Not just the POV (a clear "You" that ...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
03:43 Sep 09, 2022

Zack, no need for in-depth analysis when it comes to productive feedback. Your comments made me consider elements of form and plot I haven't given close consideration, and, perhaps deserve closer attention (e.g., the benefits of 2nd person POV, the symbolism of Justin's method of discarding their paintings.) This is a developing story (it started with a witty French Bulldog named Nino, and a male character named Justin) and I keep changing character details: the dog is now an Australian Cattle Herding dog, and Justin was born Justine (and...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:46 Sep 08, 2022

There's something poetic about literally dumping 'The House He Built' into a dumpster. The painting represents Justin's life struggles, greatly influenced by their father's actions, and so healing is a process of learning to live without the constant judgment and shaming the father provided. So dumping the painting is being literally freed from that past. Likewise, why was it dumped? Because again, it was judged inadequate by the jury (we presume - it's entirely possible Justin misread them and they actually accepted it, but we just don't ...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
22:56 Sep 08, 2022

Our Tribal Scribe reacts according to his call again, with substantive comments and a hawk's eye for details. I'm of a mind with Deidra when she says she writes to read your comments, Doctor Przywara. As always, thoughtful and generous. As always, healing. You make the experience of writing for the site a gratifying one...and for that I'm exuberantly grateful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:07 Sep 08, 2022

Interesting story about oil painting, art and relationship with ones parents. I wish I had a parent as supportive the mother in this story. And I relate a lot to bouts of mania, and the malaise when I hit a dead end (and there has been many) and I don't have a project to work on. The ending of mom understanding her son really made this story feel important to me. I'm travelling and wish I had more time to comment, but great work;)

Reply

Mike Panasitti
17:14 Sep 08, 2022

Safe travels to you, Scott, and thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
01:15 Jun 12, 2023

great story.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
22:32 Jun 12, 2023

Thank you, Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
02:59 Jun 13, 2023

welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Brenda Liam
00:21 Sep 16, 2022

DO YOU WANT YOUR EX LOVER BACK URGENTLY AFTER BREAKUP/DIVORCE EVEN IF YOUR SITUATION SEEMS HOPELESS! CONTACT DR CHRIST: CALL/WHATSAPP: +2348111123690 OR EMAIL: LIGHTERDAYSENT@GMAIL.COM DR CHRIST IS CERTAINLY THE BEST SPELL CASTER ONLINE AND HIS RESULT IS 100% GUARANTEE. Hello everyone my name is BRENDA LIAM i want to give a testimony to the Gods of DR CHRIST for helping me to get my ex back. After 3 Years in a relationship with my Husband, my Husband started going out with other girls and showing me cold love, on several occasions he th...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.